PDA

View Full Version : One eyed fish

tunaman
25-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Lets say you caught a fish, and by misfortune, the fish got a eye injury. Will it be allright to fend for its self, or should I kill it and feed it to the cat for humain reasons. :-/ :-/ :-/

signed tunaman

Stumpy-USA2
26-09-2006, 12:36 AM
It'll be fine. I have caught a few fish with one eye and they were still healthy enough to chase down my lure. About two years ago I caught a Largemouth Bass out of Lay Lake that went close to 8 lbs. and it only had one eye, the other was missing but had almost completely filled in with new skin.

Casey

Poodroo
26-09-2006, 07:16 AM
Fish are very adaptive creatures tunaman. I used to be an avid aquarist once having several tanks and used to successfully breed Discus fish and other varieties of cichlids. These fish have extremely territorial behaviour and often I had a fish lose an eye. I even had a fish once lose both eyes and it still managed to survive and find the food although it ended up in the freezer because I thought it was a little unattractive. :-/ Having aquariums for so many years certainly helped me learn about fish behaviours and their adaptability and I know that releasing a one eyed fish doesn't hamper their chances of survival unless there is a dolphin under the boat waiting for it. ;) ;D

Poodroo

Jitlands
26-09-2006, 09:17 AM
Gus Gould is one eyed and has survived ???

Geoff_Atkinson
26-09-2006, 01:36 PM
I'd kill it, fancy becoming an instant Collingwood supporter, poor bugger

marlinqld
26-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Jtlands, Gus Gould is a cockroach, and they can survive a nuclear blast I heard..... ;D

jim_bream
26-09-2006, 05:25 PM
HA HA HA LMFAO
Collingwood ... cyclops..
hoo- have n't had a giggle like that for a loooong time. ;D

imnotoriginal
26-09-2006, 06:36 PM
LOL at Jitlands and Marlin_Mike
Joel

tunaman
26-09-2006, 08:19 PM
LMAO. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. So I guess a one eyed fish is all good, but
how does a no eyed fish battle on.

signed tunaman

rowdycowdy
26-09-2006, 08:20 PM
I once had a red jewel cichlid that had all it's fins chewed off and it was suspended upside down, but eventually its fins grew back and it survived a good 6-7 years in my fish tank.
If that aint survivin' chew my eye out!!

rowdy

tunaman
26-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Sh$t. Fish are more tougher than I thought :o I guess the will for
survival is greater than the disability.

signed tunaman

Hornblower
26-09-2006, 09:18 PM
When you say you wouls kill it for humane reasons, do you are you refe3ring to humane reasons for the fish, or the cat, or both ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

tunaman
27-09-2006, 10:06 PM
No. Just the fish. If the cat chokes thats its problem ;D ;D ;D
Our cats name is garfeild, this thing would eat all day. I said too the missus, if you dont put this pillow with legs on a deit, Jenny craig will
have a warrant for its arrest. ;D

signed tunaman ;D

Loco_Pez
29-09-2006, 05:36 PM
Gus Gould should be killed & fed to the cat !!!

and I'm a cockraoch.

tunaman
30-09-2006, 12:13 AM
Why I asked this Question is because if a bigger fish came from its blind side, its chances for survival wouldnt be good.
So useing it for bait or cat food would be doing it a favour, so to speak.
By the way, the cat loved it.
Poodroo. I dont think it would be the same for a tank fish,
coz it has nothing to worry about, excepted for being snapped frozen ;D ;D ;D
But I think I did the right thing. :-/

signed tunaman

Stumpy-USA2
30-09-2006, 01:42 AM
Nothing ever really sneaks up on a fish, they all have a leteral line that can detect pressure changes and movement. Being blind in one eye may make them more skittish to things on that side.

hardb8
30-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Hi tunaman,
# # # # # # # # # I crossed paths with a one eyed Flathead in my local cannals.I assure you he had no problem finding my lure.As mentioned above it seemed that with the eye being removed the skin had just grown over,Leaving only a minor indentation.It was a healthy fish around 60cm,And appeared to have not suffered too much from it's misfortune.Hopefully,He is probably now a she,And still hunting effectively. 8-)

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

Rod_Fishing
01-10-2006, 06:44 AM
Love live GUS

tunaman
02-10-2006, 12:23 AM
Stumpy USA. The latral line can only help so much. Lets say a high speed fish was coming at full pace to take it out, with it only having one eye,
I think the poor bugger is a Quick lunch.

Hardb8. Its true that some fish will go on living without much problem, but for some, it would mean death.
I caught a yellowtail once, and it had one eye damaged, and the other eye was missing. When it was put out for livebait, I watched as a big kingfish screamed out of the deep, and the yellowtail didnt take any
action to get out the way.
There were five other livebaits in the water that day, and this kingfish seemed to know that, it was a fish that could not see.

signed tunaman