PDA

View Full Version : Knifes and cops

tunaman
07-09-2006, 08:57 PM
Just one more thing about knifes,if you carry a blade, or have one in your car, can you be arrested for dangerous weapons,
or consealing or carrying a dangerous object.
Coz when Iam not out in the boat, my tackle box is in the car, and when I fish, the knife is on my side, and some times I,ll go to the shops and have forgotten to take it off. Can I be in trouble for that.

signed tunaman

mitch_05
07-09-2006, 09:42 PM
I would like to start by saying you are best to go to the local police station and get it in person from them.

from what i understand the knife must be in a sheath/pouch and the length may be no more than the length from the tip of your middle finger to the bottom of your palm/ start of wrist when the blade is fully extended (in the case of a pocket knife).

Please do not take this as the rule. Go to the local station if you can and find out for yourself.

rick_k
07-09-2006, 10:32 PM
I remember when this legislation was introduced.

In a radio interview a copper said something along the lines of 'If you are carrying a fishing knife, you'd better be stinking of fish.' Kind of b@ggers me, because I use lures, and more than once have had a fishless trip.

The large tackle box and boat might make up for the absent fishy pong.

moondancer
07-09-2006, 10:53 PM
I reckon its just a whole lot simpler to just 'remember' to take it off your belt when not fishing - in over 40 years of fishing, I have not once walked away from my fishing location into a 'knofe unfriendly' place. These days, with security being as tight as it is, and even sometimes way over the top in reaction, I would just get into some better habits!

Scottnojack
08-09-2006, 06:32 AM
I've got a bigger problem than the fishing knife. I work with hose and quite often I forget to take my knife out of my poket when I go to the bank and shops. It's just one of those things that slips your mind. I think the only way I would get out of trouble is by showing them my work shirt with the company name on it.

In regards to fishing if you go in the shops on the way home with a knife strapped to you im sure they can look out the window and see your boat or rods.

You should be right.

Scotty

cabfisher
08-09-2006, 06:45 AM
Hi all well I have never worn a knife on a belt .
I always leave it in my tackel box except while in boat or fishing so I dont have that Problin .
But dose this mean If I were to have a pocket knife for wittling and the like I connot no longer carry it with me in My Pocket?
Cheers Harry

HiRAEdd
08-09-2006, 09:37 AM
Not quite the same thing but I bought a dive knife on Ebay and the bloke who was sending it to me got done for carrying a knife whilst he was on the way to the post office. The knife was confiscated until he went to court.

finga64
08-09-2006, 10:27 AM
What about a tradey (me old has-been sparky) working in a bank or airport and needs a knive? :-?

I heard on the radio yesterday about some Police shootings where the police were fronted by knive wielding individuals and the police should have known that the knive wielding individual didn't really want to harm them when the knive wielding individuals lunged at the police with their knives pointed towards the police.
All the individuals were shot and the police did the wrong thing??

This political correctness has gone too far :-/

JEWIENEWIE
08-09-2006, 10:47 AM
I used to be a chef and had a habbit of wraping my knive in a tea towel and throwing it on the dash. On my way home one arvo i was pulled over by the cops who were very agitated, they approached my vehicle, asked me to keep my hands where they could see them and step out of the car. I was completely shitting myself!!
Once i was clear of the car the the copper fwent straight to the dash of my car a removed the knife. They were really far from happy and started major q and a on where i had been why the knife. It wasnt till i produced my stinky chef uniform that i was all cool. They then apologised and explained that there had been a assault with a chefs knife earlier in the morning and as they drove past saw the blade hanging out of the tea towel and thought i was the man. It did take some time to convince them of my where abouts.
On the lighter side they failed to notice that my rego had ran out!!
Go figure
Jewie

fishingnottake
08-09-2006, 10:53 AM
i got into a bit of strife due to my forgetfullness in regard to my knife, i was on my way back from fishing around 11:00 at night calle dinto my local blockbuster, was browsing the collection there when suddenly two cop cars came screaming up lights blaring, the attendent had seen my knife and that coupled with my usual fishing garb (ratty red flanny shorts and holey volleys) had made a judgement call, which in hindsight was fair enough, i was read the riot act, and they even went as far as to mesure the flathead in the car, but i was let off with a firm kick in the ass. sow i make a point of putting the knife in my fishing bag when i'm travelling between places.
ash

Ratman
08-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Check out Section 51 of the Weapons Act 1990. Sorry it won't cut and paste for me.

Mick

Ratman
08-09-2006, 11:40 AM
See if this helps.

51 Possession of a knife in a public place or a school
(1) A person must not physically possess a knife in a public place
or a school, unless the person has a reasonable excuse.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units or 6 months
imprisonment.
(2) It is a reasonable excuse for subsection (1) to physically
possess a knife—
(a) to perform a lawful activity, duty or employment; or
(b) to participate in a lawful entertainment, recreation or
sport; or
(c) for exhibiting the knife; or
(d) for use for a lawful purpose.
Example for subsection (2)(a)—
1 A person may carry a knife on his or her belt for performing work
in primary production.
Examples for subsection (2)(b)—
1 A scout may carry a knife on his or her belt as part of the scout
uniform.
2 A person may carry a knife as an accessory while playing in a pipe
band.
3 A fisher may carry a knife for use while fishing.
Example for subsection (2)(c)—
1 A person who collects knives may exhibit them at a fete or another
public gathering.
Examples for subsection (2)(d)—
1 A person may use a knife to prepare or cut food at a restaurant in a
public place or when having a picnic in a park.
2 A person may carry a pen knife or swiss army knife for use for its
normal utility purposes.
(3) However, it is not a reasonable excuse to physically possess a
knife in a public place or a school for self-defence purposes.
(4) In deciding what is a reasonable excuse for subsection (1),
regard may be had, among other things, to whether the way
the knife is held in possession, or when and where it is held in
possession, would cause a reasonable person concern that he
s 52 77 s 52
Weapons Act 1990
or she, or someone else in the vicinity, may be threatened or
harmed.
(5) In this section—
knife includes a thing with a sharpened point or blade that is
reasonably capable of—
(a) being held in 1 or both hands; and
(b) being used to wound or threaten to wound anyone when
held in 1 or both hands.
school means any part of the premises of—
(a) a State educational institution under the Education
(General Provisions) Act 1989; or
(b) a non-State school under the Education (Accreditation
of Non-State Schools) Act 2001.

flatstrap
08-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Good Grief! Isn't all this legislation, definition, exclusion clauses gone way over the top. What you must realise is ANYTHING can be a weapon. I have seen a case where a guy was stabbed with a chair leg! Or one where a person is 'glassed' with a beer glass. Where is this all going to end up?

Do you realise one can be killed with a toothbrush and a razor blade; or a chopstick, or a pencil. What about using the automobile as a weapon?

I got my arse kicked once for having my infant son's pistol in plain view in the car!

I don't know where this thread is going! I'm befuddled!

flatstrap

tunaman
08-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Flatstrap. Were the thread is going is, the fact that we fisherman can
be in deep trouble by the law if we forget that we carry a needed tool
of the trade.[ knife ] and if this thread stops just one of us from going
to court, then it has served its purpose well.

signed tunaman

blaze
08-09-2006, 05:36 PM
must be bloody tough living in a high population area where ever one is a little more nervous and aware.
Last murder in my little town was about 10 years ago, domestic.
Now we dont see people walking around packing knifes but I reckon a lot of people carry them, the work force is made up of farmers, fishermen, tradies etc that all carry knifes.
Still leave car unlocked at the ramp at times (even left the keys in just to test a boat)
Gotta love tassie, we may be seen as backward, 10 years behind but I dont wanta catch up to every body else
cheers
blaze

insideout
08-09-2006, 07:08 PM
correct me if im wrong ,but, as a rule of thumb, people are a strange breed of cattle,you will never know how you will be percieved with a knife on your hip,and you should always assume the worst in all your dilemmas , and act accordingly. in short, err on the side of saftey

GAD
08-09-2006, 09:14 PM
My knife is on my belt when I'm at work and I use it all the time , when I go bush the same , but out of work it not be appropriate to wear it out though . My fishing knifes [stay sharps] are in my boat and that’s where they stay.
Inanimate objects are not the problem it is the moron using them, and the show offs that try hard.

Skipsta
10-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Common sense will dictate police actions (99% of the time). If you have a reasonable excuse, ie. for most of you guys a fishing knife in a sheath you will be fine. Best thing is stay calm and controlled and state matter of factly your reason for possessing the knife in a public place. Apologising also works in your favour as well ;). If by some freak you are given a notice to appear for possession of a weapon, remember the matter must still be proved by a Magistrate. This is why it is particularly important to stay calm and in control whilst talking to the police. Because the magistrate will hear exactly what you said when the tape is played. Commons sense always dictates. :)

Reef_fisher
02-10-2006, 01:10 PM
I had a funny incident at the local hardware last year. I went and purchased a new cane knife, I paid the fella and turned to walk out to the ute parked outside 15 feet away from the counter. The fella behind the counter half lept over said counter and told me I had to wait for him to wrap it up. When I asked why , he said I could be done for carrying a weapon and that it had to be covered. Amagine my amazement when I walked out with brown paper tightly wrapped around the blade only. :-?