PDA

View Full Version : Boating and Fisheries Patrol Feedback.

webby
23-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Hi Need some positive feedback on How Fisheries-boating patrol officers can be more beneficial in the duties they preform.
As we no they dont set the rules but try and enforce them to the best of their capabilities.
So in what way, means or appearances could they be put to more or better use.
EG
More attendance at boat ramps both fresh and salt.
more time on the water
more beach, jetty or landbased patrols.
So if you have any ideas or areas you think their services or enforcements may be more usefull or beneficial. Please Post.
regards

Big_unit
23-09-2006, 07:20 PM
It would be good if they actually patrolled Lenthalls Dam or any impoundment on a more regular basis. Plenty of offences occur out there.

Cheers
James

robersl
23-09-2006, 07:25 PM
every one i have come across have been polite and curtious and answered any questons i have asked and even given me a new crab measurer when the new sizes came in when i asked about sizes and where to measure from ect so more of the same would be good maybe carry some handouts to give to boaties on up to date changes as they are sometime hard to find and hear of and maybe a stick on fish measure for your boat as every time i go to find mine it has slid under the floor just my thought hope this helps

shane

newchum
23-09-2006, 07:56 PM
fisho up in cq i believe are stretched to the limit with area they cover.
they can't be at the boat ramp at 2:30am when all the dodgies are coming in with there catches. the guys up here are easy to talk to and helpfull when asked questions
rodney

DazSamFishing
23-09-2006, 08:38 PM
It would be good to see regular patrol at all land based public fishing areas such as pontoons, jetties and rockwalls, or where many land based areas are fished. It disappoints me to see many anglers keep undersize fish or have total disregard of bag limits and not care about the future of fishing!

Daz n Sam

Great_White
23-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Hi Brian good topic, I have never seen to much in the way of beach, jetty or landbased patrols.

Most incounters I have had with them have been very positive, even got some suggestions on where the hot spots were in that area #:) :) :)

They are the unsung hero's of our water ways and we need more of them about IMO. If you are doing the right thing you don't have any worries.

Would like them to have a bit more power to stop people breaking some of the rules on the waterways.

Peter #:)

stevedemon
23-09-2006, 11:16 PM
Hi Webby
just a suggestion very rarely see them at the pin on weekends same as water police but also night ventures to catch some around the ramps and jetties this goes for most places but the resources are probily stretch to far for there budget need more guy's on like it has been stated if you are doing the right thing and carrying the right gear you have nothing to worry about but also need to water rats for the ones out there full of piss and bad manners making it dangerous for all

it allright i'll take the heat for the piss and bad manners for those that drink to much on water and drive around with a belly full i have nearly been hit 12 times because of Dic#heads with belly fulls i place them in the same category as Jetski's wankers on water

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

outsiderskip
24-09-2006, 05:58 AM
need more patrols especiallyat the pumping station at seaway
never seen so many undersize fish caught and put in their esky and if they are approached no speak english
aussie know the rules so should others and also understand them

pete

mylestom
24-09-2006, 06:48 AM
Always found them courteous and respectful, they have a pretty tough job with not much appreciation from the idiot brigade. Who tend to try and give them a hard time.

Last trip north we were fishing Plantation creek near Ayr. They came over as we were fishing near the mouth and very politely asked us how we were going and could they check out safety gear and pots.

Two quite young blokes, very polite.

Anyway all our gear was fine and no problems. But earlier on they had confiscated a large barra net from up one of the smaller creeks. So reckon they save a few fish for all of us that day.

Would love to see more patrols at places like Awoonga (and other Impoundments) especially on the freezer brigade lot.

Think they need to be more be seen to be doing their jobs, realise that their staffing might not be that great in rural areas.

Trev

fisher28
24-09-2006, 07:49 AM
i would like to see the fishos checking the castnetters a lot more,it always amazes me how "THE RAINCOAT BRIGADE"need huge eskies in their boats when they can only keep 6kg's.apart from that,every time i have been pulled up by them,they are very nice and ive always said that id rather be pulled up on the boat,rather than on the way to the boat.

charleville
24-09-2006, 08:01 AM
Brian;

Thanks for the opportunity...

My pet hate, and no apologies to anyone reading this who does this, is boats anchored up and fishing at night without a white light showing as required by the regulations. #This is especially prevalent on the reef at Green Island and also around Mud Island. #As a night fisho, I would surely love more policing of these places at night and before dawn to stamp out this dangerous practice. #No one is a bigger fan of stealth fishing than I am but sitting in the middle of a waterway in a low unpainted tinny with no lights on a #dark night is just plain stupid. #

I also think that it would be a nice touch for the B & F patrols to give out some sort of a #freebie when they do an inspection. #This could be cost neutral - that is, it would be more sensible for them to give out those yellow buckets when doing inspections than doing so at the boating shows, potentially to people who do not own boats anyway.

I also endorse earlier comments about their politeness and courtesy when they do their inspections. It is very well received on my boat.

Regards........

gawby
24-09-2006, 08:09 AM
This is a good thread Webby,
Something that you must remember here is that the Fisheries (DPI) are on a Gov budget and are probably at the end of their money.
I have only seen the fisheries and been checked twice in the last five years. Both times they just made sure the catch was right and the safety gear was right. No problems.
When you here of some who go out of the Sunny Coast and wide of D.I. and there is only three persons on board but have a catch of 30 snapper it makes my blood boil.
Filleting them at sea and hiding the fillets wrapped up under bunks and such. You wounder why sometimes we get hammered by different groups.
Bring it on, i would like to see more and more of these Fisheries Persons all over, everywhere .
I will add, it is great to see that positive reponse to this thread and not the stupid knocking that sometimes get posted here.
Graeme ;)

charleville
24-09-2006, 08:25 AM
I have only seen the fisheries and been checked twice in the last five years.

Gee whizz! You either don't go fishing much or that statistic tells us something about their reach and frequency of inspections. I have been inpected far more times than that around Mud and Green Islands and at the Harry Atkinson Artificial Reef in Moreton Bay.

Poodroo
24-09-2006, 09:54 AM
You know I never ever see them policing the pin area during the prawning season. Every year I have witnessed the organized "yellow coat" groups with their radio communication and as soon as one finds a school of prawns they all merge on that school and god help anyone who gets in their way. It has got ugly over the years and every year I have noticed less prawns to be had and I am sure they are catching more than their legal quota. More police would be lovely.

Poodroo

jim_farrell
24-09-2006, 10:18 AM
I don't know if this would come under their job description, but I would like to see a detailed regional report mabe public. Possibly tabled monthly that lists how many offences were logged, where they occured and what they were. This might help to narrow down problem areas and what laws are being flaunted.
I think this may increase attention to issues and make honest fishoes look out for possible offenders in known trouble areas.
Currently, I only here of the odd charges laid every couple of months in BnB. Offenders names wouldn't be necessary.
Jim

Phil-Fishbin
24-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Just cos ya dont see them doesnt really mean they are not around. They can be pretty stealthy and your activities may be being monitored and recorded :o for future prosecution if you are continually breaking the law .

So when you least expect it.. expect it

Big_unit
24-09-2006, 10:48 AM
My pet hate, and no apologies to anyone reading this who does this, is boats anchored up and fishing at night without a white light showing as required by the regulations. This is especially prevalent on the reef at Green Island and also around Mud Island. As a night fisho, I would surely love more policing of these places at night and before dawn to stamp out this dangerous practice. No one is a bigger fan of stealth fishing than I am but sitting in the middle of a waterway in a low unpainted tinny with no lights on a dark night is just plain stupid.

That also happens to be a big problem everywhere Ive been, Hervey Bay, Burrum Heads, Tin Can Bay & River Heads.

Cheers
James

PS - Thank you Webby for doing something for us.

wetnwild11
24-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi fellas, In 9 years of beach, jetty, bank and boat fishing I have never seen a fisheries officer! The only enforcement officers I have seen are the water police and they have been extremely courteous and helpful. Perhaps we need MORE active officers, more pay, penalty rates for 2.30 am inspections etc. You all know the old saying "pay peanuts get monkeys".
Cheers

mylestom
24-09-2006, 12:55 PM
In NSW they give you a sticker to place on boat to say that you have been inspected. The sticker is like a rego sticker and this would have a large 06 and 07 on it.

Saves them chasing down the same boats all time.

Just a thought.

Trev

gunna
24-09-2006, 01:07 PM
It would be good to see regular patrol at all land based public fishing areas such as pontoons, jetties and rockwalls, or where many land based areas are fished. It disappoints me to see many anglers keep undersize fish or have total disregard of bag limits and not care about the future of fishing!

Daz n Sam

What he said.

They are the unsung hero's of our water ways and we need more of them about IMO. If you are doing the right thing you don't have any worries.

Would like them to have a bit more power to stop people breaking some of the rules on the waterways.

Peter :)

And what he said.

finding_time
24-09-2006, 04:05 PM
Brian

I would like to see more patrols around ramps and jettys ( definately the sand pumping jetty... It a crime what goes on there when the tailor are running!!!) I fish alot and have never been checked by fisheries, the reason i think is the odd hours i return from trips, but if i'm not getting checked so musn't alot of others!

As Charleville said a crack down on nav lights and safety gear would be good as well. Comming back late to any of the rams i use , i always see boats without lights anchored near or in the channel and it only at the last minute that you see them usually as your hit by there torch!!! >:(

Dignity
24-09-2006, 05:35 PM
Only had them inspect me once, polite and courteous. What we need is more of them, was down at shorncliffe jetty today and there were a couple of asian descent blokes that caught a couple of schoolies that wouldd have maybe made 30 cms. They were as proud as punch and even took photographs. Made the comment to them that they were way under size and it was good that they were getting the evidence on film, they ignored me as they know damn well that no one is going to come down on a sunday afternoon to nab them.

sam

iank
24-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Had 3 young fisheries officers meeting boats and checking catches and safty equipment at the Grand boat ramp at lunch time last Tuesday, as mentioned in earlier post they were extremly polite and were willing to have a chat for a while after inspecting our catch and safty equip. Ausfish came up in the discussion and one of the girls mentioned that her father was a member of this site, unfortunately I did not ask what his name was. I just wish they would get more funding to be able to put on more officers and make a bit more of an impact on the w@n%ers who flaunt the rules.
Cheers Ian

charleville
24-09-2006, 08:47 PM
I would like to see a detailed regional report mabe public. Possibly tabled monthly that lists how many offences were logged, where they occured and what they were. This might help to narrow down problem areas and what laws are being flaunted.

That is an excellent idea, I think. The only concern is whether anti-fishing lobby groups would use the published info to our disadvantage. Nonetheless, it may be worth the risk just to see a gradual improvement in the statistics over time.

I do like to have a read of the report that each rescue team at the Jacob's Well VMR publishes for subscribers in their annual (?) report. It helps an understanding of what these groups are up against and I suspect that such would be the same for the B & F inspectors.

Nugget
25-09-2006, 03:57 AM
As you can imagine, I spend a lot of time on the water.
All issues raised so far can be solved with more Fisheries Officers - there just aren't enough to go around.

There are two things that bug me big time.
1 - As you know they can only enforce the regulations - if there's no regulation there is no offence.
Currently we have a minority group catching garbage bins full of yakkas on our bait grounds - I'm talking sitting off Goat Island (and other places) filling large domestic bins full of anything and everything almost every day, all day. They are not breaking any rules because there is no bag limit for the species, but their actions are definitely not doing anything for the future of our waterways.
Similarly I'm seeing bucket loads of bream and whiting caught without breaking any regulations because we have no bag limit on either species.
Solution - we need an urgent review of current species bag limits - or better still just implement the recommendations of the Burns Enquiry from 1994 - they have been deliberating and procrastinating over inshore finfish bag limits for that long.

2 - We need equal and fair enforcement. To many times I see minority groups being ignored - I have no idea why but it IS A FACT.
I've seen it many times - officers walk past some anglers and question others. The ones they walk past seem to be a distinct group.

Dave ><>

NeilD
25-09-2006, 07:07 AM
Most of the posts seem to follow the same line of thought that I have in that everyones experiences have been very positive but pretty few and far between. The staff have always been very friendly and polite as well as informative.

Free stickers etc are always welcome and perhaps a warning system eg flares just out of date may may keep more people onside

Issues that bug me most are the ethnic minorities that seem to be exempt from regulations and the current problems with crab and pot theft. I think a lot more attention to getting increased levels of publicity concerning offenders and their punishment could also be of use.

Neil

Big_Ren
25-09-2006, 09:03 AM
We bumped into the fisheries boys on Saturday and they were an absolute delight to deal with. They were patrolling the mouth of the Mooloolah River and very politely checked our catch and asked about our safety equipment.

It was great to see them out and about if for nothing but the deterrent factor.

Cheers
Paul

mini696
25-09-2006, 11:33 AM
They could give us some marks of top fishing spots!!

I hardly see them, have only been checked once.

Maybe the suggestion I give is to double their patrols, I assume funding is a problem there.

Feral
25-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Never seen them while beach or Jetty fishing. Have seen them at ramps once or twice.

webby
25-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Some good points so far, keep them coming.
The reason for all this, is that a study by Fisheries on how these law enforcers can be more beneficial or utilized in the duties they preform.
So hopefully when the revelant info is passed on and they find areas or lack of enforcement or other ways to utilized them, we may see or hope to see them used more effectively.
regards

webby
25-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Some good points so far, keep them coming.
The reason for all this is, that a study by Fisheries on how these law enforcers can be more beneficial or utilized in the duties they preform.
So hopefully when the revelant info is passed on and they find areas or lack of enforcement or other ways to utilized them, we may see or hope to see them used more effectively.
they cannot enforce laws or bag limits that are not inforce, so we have to look elsewhere to remedy this problem.
regards

finga64
25-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Not much to add but in NSW they had a measuring sticker for the boat with species pictures on them as well as legal sizes and bag limits. It can only reduce confusion if these were given out. :)
As everybody has said...more policing would be good especially on public holidays. How many of us stay at home on public holidays just because we don't want to run the gauntlet that the better known water ways are becoming. A prime example is the Pin area on week-ends and especially public holidays.
If staffing is a problem why not have authorised people taking some pictures of the few fools or doing some PR/educational work at the ramps, jetties etc etc freeing up the paid staff to do hands on policing. I'd put up my hand to help with that one.

Jitlands
26-09-2006, 07:52 AM
Lived on the Gold Coast for 11 years now and have never been approached in the boat despite getting out on the Broadwater at least once a week, They need more resources.

In addition, the media could play a greater role by following through on court appearances and convictions. If the barstaards keeping undersize had their names and mugs in the papers or on the news it would deter others who seem happy to cop a fine and continue on keeping undersize

rtranter
26-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Obviously a Q/Land problem.
Only joking, Fisheries are spread farely thinly down here in NSW as well, hopefully you will be passing all these comments on to the Study?
Down here all the info and stickers are available after a short phone call to fisheries, they're more than happy to post them out, especially to fishing clubs, I've got more info and stickers than club members.
But all of this will not stop the low lives that rort the fishing stocks of OZ. Policing and Education as stated on numerous occassions is the only way, but our Governments both Labor and Liberal (Coalition) alike aren't keen on spending our taxes where we want them to.
Our beaches are mainly patrolled to stop the pippy exodus, not fish stocks but at least they do patrol them.
regards
rob

Jeremy
26-09-2006, 08:35 AM
If staffing is a problem why not have authorised people taking some pictures of the few fools or doing some PR/educational work at the ramps, jetties etc etc freeing up the paid staff to do hands on policing. I'd put up my hand to help with that one.

Scott, this already exists and is called a fishwatch volunteer.

Jeremy

Jeremy
26-09-2006, 08:37 AM
I think I have been inspected once in the 18 years I have been fishing in SEQ, so I also back the need for more funding and at least a doubling of the staff and patrols.

Another issue for me is the fishwatch hotline. I have called it a few times to report illegal activities, and everytime the response is the same. There is no one in the area available to investigate. Why bother reporting it?

Jeremy

smee
26-09-2006, 08:44 AM
In my oppinion the problem is manning levels and until that problem is addressed i dont think we can expect any change. I live in cq and know of people going and plundering reef fish and never see an officer at the boat ramp at day or night but have encountered them on the water and are very obliging but i think some shamitures have excellent hiding places that they bring fillets home in.On the other side if they the DPI had the people available and hammered everyone on a lot more occasions then they probably would be looked down upon because you would think that they are targeting you . So either way they do good job and our guys here are very community orrientated and also keep an eye on our very young boaties which is also good to see.
regards smee.

seatime
26-09-2006, 08:53 AM
I believe an increased focus on boating safety would go a long way in helping reduce general boating and fishing infringements.

If the boating public is better made aware of their responsibilities in regard to safety gear and boating safety in general, this responsible attitude would flow onto fishing regs too.

Education is the key to raising awareness, electronic and print media have a big role to play. Safety seminars, instruction and demonstration of safety equipment and practical use of the gear.

Subsidised open days could be conducted periodically at VMRs and CGs to facilitate the safety seminars.

There does seem to be a lack of co-ordination and consultation between
the B&FP, water police and MSQ. Maybe the DPI B&FP has too much on it's plate, and it's time for a dedicated MSQ boating safety patrol to look after the boating side of things.

regards

S.S.
26-09-2006, 04:13 PM
I've been pulled up twice in 20 years....... perhaps boat ramps would be a good start for partrols particularly towards 10am when boats start coming back to the ramp. Great way of targetting a lot of fishos with little effort. Possibly more officers.... they're just spread way too thinly. Fishwatch hotline seems to be a waste of time as there are NEVER any patrols "in the area" to cover the calls.

Dignity
26-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Maybe the DPI B&FP has too much on it's plate, and it's time for a dedicated MSQ boating safety patrol to look after the boating side of things.

regards

Before the election there was a study to have the B&FP split away from the DPI might be back on the agenda now that the election is over although everything seems to have gone quite.

sam

WHITTO
26-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Good to see they paid Somerset a vist last week, nailed 1 idiot and were on the look out for wankers using a gill net, Cheers Whitto

seatime
26-09-2006, 07:37 PM
I've been pulled up twice in 20 years....... #perhaps boat ramps would be a good start for partrols particularly towards 10am when boats start coming back to the ramp. # Great way of targetting a lot of fishos with little effort. # #Possibly more officers.... they're just spread way too thinly. # Fishwatch hotline seems to be a waste of time as there are NEVER any patrols "in the area" to cover the calls.

It is a great way of targeting a lot of fishos with little effort, but will it prevent them from re-offending, or will they take their chances again next time. I fear they would move to a more remote location or ramp the next time.
Be pro-active and not re-active to the issues, or they can abolish fisheries and just have cops at ramps permanently.
If the mentality behind illegal and/or unsustainable fishing isn't addressed the 'you know who's' will have plenty of ammo for an argument to shut everything down.

Darryl
26-09-2006, 08:36 PM
Jeremy is on the money with Fishwatch being a dead end. No point haiving it if we cant report bad pratices. And i have never been inspected in my 25 years of fishing down the Goldy, but now i have been fishing the Bay i have been inspected 3 times in a year and have also had them drop bye to inform me of the no planning zones.

barradise
26-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Hi Webby,
I think it's common knowledge that most offences of malisious nature either occurs in remote locations or after dark. I'm not partularily talking about rec-fisher either.
These are also the places that are most precarious for QBFP.
More Boating Police presence is what's needed.

Big_unit
26-09-2006, 11:38 PM

Thats right on the money.

Big_unit
26-09-2006, 11:53 PM

Jeremy

Never heard of it or seen one. I guess there is another issue, some people dont know much about QBFP.

Ive seen active QBFP Inspectors twice, in my time ( 10 years ) but have never been inspected. Ive seen them inspect the boats either side of me at Tin Can Bay, they waved to me. Ive been watched once from a distance so I got the binoculars out and watched back, they didnt come over though.

Fat_Chilli
27-09-2006, 12:55 AM
I don't know if this would come under their job description, but I would like to see a detailed regional report mabe public. Possibly tabled monthly that lists how many offences were logged, where they occured and what they were. This might help to narrow down problem areas and what laws are being flaunted.
I think this may increase attention to issues and make honest fishoes look out for possible offenders in known trouble areas.
Currently, I only here of the odd charges laid every couple of months in BnB. Offenders names wouldn't be necessary.
Jim

This would be good! DIR WH&S (Dept of Industrial Relations - Workplace Health and Safety) used to do similar, their publications of offences recorded, taken to trail and punishments issued (fines/sentences) are available on their web site. It was a good read.

http://www.dir.qld.gov.au/pdf/global/prosecution_news_april2005.pdf

More are available under - Publications and Forms - prosecutions.

Louis
27-09-2006, 01:03 PM
I would like to see the Boating and Fisheries Inspectors, perhaps in conjunction with the Police, spend more time on catching crab pot thieves.

Stealing crabs from crab pots and indeed stealing the crab pots themselves is becoming increasingly prevalent in my little neck of the woods. #

I am a reasonably regular victim of this offence, particularly when I leave my pots out over night. #I assume other ausfishers are probably also having these problems?

Likewise it might be an idea if Fisheries officers could pop into boat ramps of a night time with a view to seeing if there are any grubs hanging around looking to steal our trailers and break into our vehicles etc. #This problem also appears to be very prevalent these days.

Obviously they lack the authority in law and training to do anything, but by popping in and ringing the police to come out and have a chat to any suspect persons loitering about, maybe the level of theft at boat ramps at night might be reduced.

Also it would be nice to see them pop in at the dams more frequently and check to see that anglers fishing the dams do actually have stocked impoundment permits.

Louis

mylestom
27-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Not only check their SIP permit and catch. But also their freezers. Some of the people are low lifes.

Had the bolts and nuts and washers stolen off my Bulldog folding trailer the last trip north. Yeah stainless steel ones as well. Gues that their need was greater than mine.

Does really annoy me that the grubs of this world can ruin what is a great trip for a family or a retiree.

We live on the coast and river down here and always give the local inspectors a ring when we see something suspicious. But like you say not enough staff to go around.
But guess they Premier (both NSW and QLD) has all the staff he needs and never misses out on his little morning tea etc.

Trev

T1
28-09-2006, 01:13 AM
Jeremy is on the money with Fishwatch being a dead end. No point haiving it if we cant report bad pratices. And i have never been inspected in my 25 years of fishing down the Goldy, but now i have been fishing the Bay i have been inspected 3 times in a year and have also had them drop bye to inform me of the no planning zones.

Interesting you say that Crestcutter! I remember fishing the Sand Pumping Jetty over the last few years and had several visits from fisheries late at night... It was actually good to see them there!

Take Care T

T1
28-09-2006, 01:16 AM

Jeremy

Jeremy, i was one of the original 'Fishcare' volunteers that started about 10yrs ago under the guidance of DPI. We used to go out regularly in an educational capacity only. I must admit that i haven't seen a volunteer out for years and didn't even know it still existed.

Take Care T

Louis
28-09-2006, 03:52 PM
FISHCARE certainly still does exist.

I'm a member.

Basically we are a group of keen anglers who provide an educational role in relation to ethical fishing practices and size/bag limits and conservation etc.

We do not have any enforcement powers and only provide an educational role.

From time to time we run Fishing Clinics for kids and teach youngsters the great art and sport that Angling is.

Anyone who is perhaps interested in joining or finding out more, please feel free to send me a PM.

Louis

Burley_Boy
28-09-2006, 05:36 PM
I fish the GC
never seen one.

Realize that with limited staff they need to be as efficient as possible and probably as visible as possible.

If there was an officer on the GC once or twice a year you'd think they would hit the pumping jetty on tailor fishing time, if they can't be bothered doing that then they should pack it in. Or have I missed the sting operations?? Whats the story there, you can't tell me they are unaware of the situation...

Another way of being efficient without blowing out the costs is obviously hitting the boat ramp when people are on the way back.

Sorry for the sarcasm I realize they are spread thin, but there has gotta be a way of raising their profile without spending a dollar more, (assuming they are staffing the GC??)
Its all about being a visible deterrant and actually handing out the fines to the dodgies.

Big_unit
28-09-2006, 09:32 PM
Another thought that occurred to me -

The Qld Police service uses covert / plain clothes officers in many situations in thier role as law enforcement officers.

Why doesnt QBFP do the same ?

How easy would it be to get plain clothes officers in an unmarked tinny or on foot ?

Cheers
James

jim_farrell
29-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Fished offshore gold coast today and got checked. I've been checked offshore 3 out of my last four trips. Jackets flares and esky each time.

Jim

iank
29-09-2006, 03:06 PM
Was also checked out off the Gold Coast this morning, that makes it twice in two weeks down here, offshore today and at the Grand boatramp last tuesday, and not one check in the previous 25 years that I have been fishing. Hopefully I/we will get to see them on a regular basis.
Cheers Ian

Loco_Pez
29-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Saw a guy get a ticket for being underway with youngsters with no PFD's a couple of weeks ago in Coombabah Creek. They spotted him coming up to the ramp (Turana St) & gave him one when he pulled up. Good on em ! Good to see they get around the small ramps as well.

Dignity
01-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Saw a couple on PWC friday just south of Tipplers. They stopped another PWC going past the 6 knot sign full bore. None around sat/sun when even large vessels ignored the signage. No overtime, can't nab em.

sam

Ozwald
02-10-2006, 02:08 PM
I for one would be happy to pay for an annual Qld fishing licence if the funds went towards improving the work of QBFP. Sounds like a few Asaian language specialists wouldnt go amiss either.

Louis
02-10-2006, 04:47 PM
I would be happy to see a Fishing licence brought in if the money went to such things as offering to buyout the licences of those commercial fisherman that wish to sell and other things which advance the cause of recreational fishing in Queensland.

Louis

webby
02-10-2006, 07:24 PM
Thanks for all the input, have passed the feedback on.
Will wait and see if any changes or more appearance are made.
regards
PS Buy the way stay tuned next week for some dramatic output from Inshore Fin Fisheries.

bushbeachboy
03-10-2006, 07:27 AM
Webby,
Up here in NQ they have the same issues. Too many fools anchored at night without lights, the freezer brigade, illegal netting, lack of staff. I have only met them twice in the last five years, both times for safety gear and esky check. Both times they were very professional/polite/informative. I made sure to thank them for being out there and asked for more patrols.

One area I believe could be improved on is the personal security of the patrol officers. They need to be accompanied by police more often, and not only Water Police. Alcohol affected boaties are a lot less belligerent when confronted by the prospect of a court appearance on a criminal charge as opposed to a ticket from the boating patrol. I believe it would also allow the boating patrol to be a bit more effective in their jobs by reducing the threat of assault against them.

When we talk about needing more patrols, or the apparent lack of overtime etc, I think we should consider the lives of the patrol officers as well. It is after all only a job. They need to have a life too. Heaven forbid, they might actually like to go fishing!!!! So they need to have days off.

Remember that they also have to do inspections on the commercial fishing fleet, which must be a whole lot of fun.

aussie_true_blue
03-10-2006, 07:40 AM
The Boating Patrol was in the Pine Rivers Saturday and the two officers were very friendly.

One of the officers recognised our boat from another time he was patrolling.

I agree their should be some sort of inspection sticker issued to boats that have been inspected as to not waste their time checking the boat again.

Bob

smee
03-10-2006, 07:47 AM
I would be interested in finding out where the money from regoes on boats & trailers go that we pay before we throw more money to a government that is not spending on any facilities in CQ.
regards smee