PDA

View Full Version : bloody northerlies no fish ?

wayneoro
23-09-2006, 08:43 AM
every reef trip i have had lately with a northerly no fish we all know not to bother in a river or estery but out wide ? mac's and surface fish still bite what have you experienced

Hornblower
23-09-2006, 07:48 PM
Thems the breaks I suppose, have you ever noticed that they blow on your days off and gets back to pristine picture perfect conditions as soon as your back at work. Orta-be-a-law :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Poodroo
23-09-2006, 09:36 PM
Scalem and I thought "stuff it" we are going fishing northerly or no northerly. Just had to get a fishing fix come hell or high water. Well the northerly winds sure did blow and hell and high water was about right. No legal fish and once again headed home saying to ourselves "We should have known better." :-/

Poodroo

onerabbit
23-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Not looking good for the summer with the mongerel North wind starting so early.

Muzz

charleville
24-09-2006, 08:29 AM
we all know not to bother in a river or estery

I am still a learner by a long shot but is this a reasonable rule to follow?

Why should it be so?

All advice gratefully received.

finding_time
24-09-2006, 05:26 PM
# # Not looking good for the summer with the mongerel North wind starting so early.

# # Muzz

It's good if it blows early, you just want it to stop by late november. It brings the warm water down , then all we need is a few se in november to bring the good water in to the coast ;)

Charlie.

I'm remain unconvinced about no fish in a northerly as i've had some good hauls in these winds. I think its a bit of a convienent excuse sometimes, saying that though it can make drift fishing offshore very difficult as the northerly combined with the southerly current racers you over your mark. ;)

Ian

webby
24-09-2006, 07:32 PM
As Ian said up until chrissy ok, then let them stop or the bloody spotties will be blow past us again like last year. As we need then s/easterlies after chrissy to drive them inshore.
regards

charleville
24-09-2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks Webby and Finding-Time. Your advice is much appreciated. :)

el_carpo
25-09-2006, 04:50 AM
I know what you guys mean. There is a famous saying over here about the wind and how it relates to fishing Lake Michigan: "Wind from the east, fish bite the least, wind from the west, fish bite the best."

It is so true. What happens is the western winds blow the heated, shallow water out into the lake and the cooler water comes in to shore bringing the fish with it.

If there is an east wind blowing, I don't even bother. And yeah, Hornblower, it's always on the days off. :'(

Big_Ren
25-09-2006, 09:09 AM
We chased macks on Saturday in the northerly and it was much harder work than 4 weeks earlier when we chased them in a sou'easter. It puts the reefies off, and I am leaning to the view that it seems to spread the pelagics out as well.

It was not coincidental that there were now yakkas around on Saturday, compared to our last trip when the water was boiling with them ;).

Cheers
Paul

modo
25-09-2006, 09:27 AM
I was told by a charter boat captain that N/W stands for Not Worth it. But it still worth a try. ;)

Noelm
25-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Except for when there is a drop in barometric pressure which can have a negative affect on native species and indeed some inshore saltwater models as well, I am yet convinced that wind had ANY bearing on wether fish bite or not, as I have said many times before on this board, I have yet to see it windy under the water!

Noelm
25-09-2006, 12:37 PM
woops, that should read "I am yet to be convinced"

finding_time
25-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Except for when there is a drop in barometric pressure which can have a negative affect on native species and indeed some inshore saltwater models as well, I am yet convinced that wind had ANY bearing on wether fish bite or not, as I have said many times before on this board, I have yet to see it windy under the water!

That's a good point Nolem we often get the northerly when a high is moving away from Aus so the barometer is droping this imho is far more signifigant than the wind

T1
25-09-2006, 03:54 PM
We were out early Sat and did ok! It is tough fishing in a northerly though and you have to beat early...

Take Care T

sharky789
25-09-2006, 05:05 PM
leave us northely's alone its you southerly's that shoo the fish lol

wayneoro
25-09-2006, 06:46 PM
yep we experienced same with the yakkas and they were big out wide

Krazi-kev
26-09-2006, 08:16 AM
Northerlies have been prevailing and even breakwater/estaury fishing has been very poor indeed

I am waiting for a change in wind direction and a change of luck as well

Krazi-kev
02-10-2006, 12:58 PM
The NE wind theory is proving to be correct. Eager to fish but the NE dictate that I will come home empty handed. Tried again yesterday and the Northerlies kicked in in the afternoon. No luck.

SE in the morning Friday...........I will see if anything changes

shayned
02-10-2006, 02:03 PM
I was reading Ron Calcutts fishing book on the weekend and his opinion was that the wind direction was linked to prevailing weather systems ie dropping barometer or changes in water temp which could either start or shut a system down due to the effect on fish feeding/holding patterns. This supports what Ian was saying about northerlies being linked to dropping barometric pressure.

Noelm
03-10-2006, 08:55 AM
Calcut is spot on, I can assure you, if you get a North wind and it is not caused by a "Lowering" of pressure, as can happen the fish will not know which way the wind is blowing, 'cause they do not watch the weather on TV

shayned
03-10-2006, 09:18 AM
Re-read it last night and the explanation was actually, if certain wind direction is linked to a persistantly low barometric pressure then fish will shut down until the pressure begins to rise, the result being hungry fish when this occurs and a smart fisho will target effort at this point in time.
He also goes on to discuss the effect of a certain wind pushing warmer/ colder water in to a region with the result of causing fish to move or if unable to move again just shutting down and conserving energy. This supports Noel's contention that the fish don't give a damn about wind just the effects linked to it and how it affects their food availability and enviroment. If you see the book read the section it's very well thought out and written.