PDA

View Full Version : Who sent you?

Scalem
02-10-2006, 02:33 AM
Is it my imagination, or that more and more new members are joining Ausfish? #Where does everyone come from? #I wonder which is the greater reason for newbies discovering the chat room? #A google search? #Or the good 'ol fisherman's mate who told a mate who told a mate who told a mates' mate who told a mates' wife??? ;D

Scalem

finga64
02-10-2006, 03:13 AM
All those Ausfish stickers that appear over at Mud might have something to do with it. :)

marlinqld
02-10-2006, 05:39 AM
I was put onto the site by a mate ;D

Mike

griz066
02-10-2006, 06:33 AM
Google for me when doing research on boats 8-)

Poodroo
02-10-2006, 06:38 AM
I was put onto Ausfish by a certain relative. :D :D :-X

Poodroo

revs57
02-10-2006, 08:07 AM
I googled "How to throw a cast net" and found the site a few years ago...didn't see the chat forum then and it wasn't till last year I revistited and began looking aorund the site that that I became a member...

BTW thanks Steve and Nugget for your Cast netting demo's...very helpful

Cheers

rhys

lock
02-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Found it searching fishing sites a few years back.

Dirtysanchez
02-10-2006, 09:02 AM
Same as Rhys, was looking for a how to on cast nets (Being an Ex Cockroach :-[ )

Now it's Go QLD !! ;D

Slient
02-10-2006, 09:06 AM
My mate knows I'm mad fisherman and warned me this site's addict...
Mate you're right I'm addicted... ;D

Silent

JasonT
02-10-2006, 10:09 AM
Found Ausfish same way as REVS57.... :-)
Googled for "how to throw a cast net".
Still have trouble throwing a castnet at times, but my general fishing knowledge has improved heaps!

Jason

chrisfish
02-10-2006, 10:16 AM
I found it on Google. Came for the hints, stayed for the company!!

fishingjew
02-10-2006, 10:19 AM
Next door neighbour talking about white ants in the play pen had a look round and that was it hooked! ::)

russell

mini696
02-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Google searched, and this was the most helpful (and geographically) suitable site.

BrandonH
02-10-2006, 11:00 AM
Google on something fish related :D :D found the forum link and hundreds of posts and mostly for MY Area!!! had to become a member ;) have learnt heaps since and have made a lot of new friends :)

Cheers
Brandon...

Cruize
02-10-2006, 11:01 AM
I googled "How to throw a cast net" and found the site a few years ago...didn't see the chat forum then and it wasn't till last year I revistited and began looking aorund the site that that I became a member...

BTW thanks Steve and Nugget for your Cast netting demo's...very helpful

Cheers

rhys

Me too

snasman
02-10-2006, 11:02 AM
Googled for "how to throw a cast net some years ago ,now I tell every one in my travels about the site and have managed to meet some real nice and friendly people over this time .is a great site Thanks Ausfish. #

My mate knows I'm mad fisherman and warned me this site's addict...
Mate you're right I'm addicted... ;D

Silent

very true it is addictive.

teitzy
02-10-2006, 11:22 AM
yeah im the same, googled to throw a cast net and video was very helpful thank you!

jimlawler1980
02-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Found it while looking on Google for local fishing reports. In my opinion Ausfish is the best chatboard for up to date info on fishing in QLD. If you need advice on tackle, tips for a new location, or just a good old chat this is the place to go to.

Jim

shayned
02-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Google on something fish related :D :D found the forum link and hundreds of posts and mostly for MY Area!!! had to become a member ;) have learnt heaps since and have made a lot of new friends :)

Cheers
Brandon...
And some of them are incredibly handsome and knowledgeable fishos, to boot.!!!! :D :D
I was on fishnet for ages and didn't find it overly useful seeing it was all about western port Vic., I had chatted occasionally with freeedom on there, he may have inadvertantly led me to the holy land where people appreciate the beauty of an Alvey and can drink a beer with some flavour in it without getting seasick.

In the short time I've been here, I've been fortunate enough to meet some great people, in fact, I'd go as far as saying I haven't met a mongrel idiot on here yet. Still there's always one in every crowd, so it will happen sooner or later I guess,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then again if everyone I've met has been good value maybe I'm the,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,nah, Can't Be! ;) ;D ;D
Fantastic Site and a credit to the people who keep it running.

Scalem
02-10-2006, 12:42 PM
I wonder if I should have run a poll, I didn't even think about throwing cast net instructions - That was a good move Dave D ;)

Interesting feedback for the Mods here.

Shayned, you are too right, the majority on AF members seem a good bunch of blokes that I could have over for A Barby any day, I suppose I should get myself around to M&G's more often instead of meeting nearly total strangers at boat ramps around 3.00 am in the morning, because I posted for a deckie the night before! ;D

Full credit to the Mods here, they police untoward behaviour very well and keep a little decorum happening.

It seems the best way to get public is definitely www, even outdoing fishing mates of mates who are mates of mates who's mates are their mates..... :-/ :-/ ;D ;D

Scalem

Dory4.1
02-10-2006, 01:05 PM
Refered by a mate to check out the "mud Island reports" (do we need a spearate forum for this :))

Rgs
Michael

seafarer3
02-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Hey,
I was looking for a spare Gal Wheel,went into goooooogle...
punched in 13" gal wheel...then hey presto,a add from ausfish came up..,
I bought the wheel of "Cam"checked the site out ...likerd it ...so i joined
HOORAR FOR AUSFISH

Cheers
Scott

maxwellson
02-10-2006, 01:27 PM
google search

went for the Broncs last night .
had to on a winner # ;D ;D ;D
same as this site, its a winner

well done #qld # #(as im a #nswelshman its a tad hard to say that # :o :o )
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

regards Maxi

BrandonH
02-10-2006, 01:45 PM
And some of them are incredibly handsome and knowledgeable fishos, to boot.!!!! :D :D

Fantastic Site and a credit to the people who keep it running.

I hope your not talking about yourself there shayne ::) LOL you have to be one of the funniest blokes i have met on here yet!!! I do belive we have both learn a lot from each other on the few trips out we have managed to organise so far :) really looking forward to this sunday morning to mate ;)

def aggree with credit for Steve and the Mods on keeping this wonderfull site up and running and updated with some of the latest options available for YABB forums ;) #eg: inserting video feeds now!!

Great work everyone!! I have been telling my mates about the site but most of them need to come outa the dark ages and get a decent internet connection b4 becoming a member :P

Sorry had to have the dark ages crack mainly at one of my mates because he caught the best snapper ever to be caught on my boat saturday morning as well as being the first fish to be landed in my new net and blowing my PB snapper outa the water #:'( :'( :'(

Tight Lines
Brandon...

shayned
02-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Hey Scalem,
When my wife first questioned the sanity of meeting a complete stranger to go throw lures off a river bank one afternoon, you were the benchmark that I used to justify my actions, "Honey, at least I'm not standing around public boat ramps at 3 o'clock in the morning waiting to go out into the wide blue yonder with someone unknown!"

Thought to myself, righto argument won by clever me, her reply was something along the lines of "you're both bloody idiots then" Well so far so good, just been good times as result. 8-) :)

shayned
02-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Brandon,
I reckon a couple of decent L.B. Trevors should ease the pain, bring on Sunday I say.
Shayne

el_carpo
02-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Well, one morning I was sitting down to a breakfast of "Alpha-bits" cereal and found the random letters on my spoon spelled "ausfish."

"Strange," I thought to myself. "What could that mean?"

Later, I was playing a game of "Scrabble" and when I reached into the letter bag, I found that they spelled "a-u-s-f-i-s-h."

"Ausfish again? What is going on here?"

Then, whilst doing the laundry, I accidentally spilled some bleach on my favorite shirt. I looked to see what mark it left and found the word "ausfish" written inside of what looked to be a skeleton of a tuna. (I now recognize it as the ausfish logo).

"Good God! It happened again!"

I told my brother about it and he suggested that I see a psychologist.

I told him about it and he said that he wanted me to take one of those Rorshach, Ink blot tests. He holds up an ink picture and asks what I see?

"It plainly reads ausfish," I say.

He does it over and over again.

"They all say ausfish!!!" I say.

"I know, I was just messin' with ya!" He says.

"Ah, very clever," says I. "So anyway, what's wrong with me doc? What's this "ausfish" stuff all about?"

"Beats me he says. Try Googling it."

I did and have been hooked ever since.

OR............. ;)

I was looking up Slim Dusty on the net for a while and then started to look up more about Australia. I typed in "Australia" and "fishing" and Ausfish popped up. I checked it out and have been glad I did.

Hampo
02-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Google for me when doing research on boats 8-)

Same here, now i too am addicted

finga64
02-10-2006, 03:04 PM
the majority on AF members seem a good bunch of blokes that I could have over for A Barby any day
Scalem
How's Saturday arvo #:)
I'll bring the green ginger and some snags
You might even get some of the pergola done :D
:)
Cheers old matey

timbacutta
02-10-2006, 03:29 PM
Come accross it when checking out the web for anything to do with fishing within Australia. Found out since that quite a few fishermen I know are also members, just never discussed it with them. Now I can't go more than a couple of days without getting a fix.

Jeff.

MattiB
02-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Was told by a friend and am now on here every day.

Owen
02-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Interesting.
I too found it by doing a search on how to throw a cast net.
Obviously an area where many of us struggle ;D

cheers,
Owen

esselte
02-10-2006, 04:29 PM
A mate said to check it out. Great site ;D

Herm
02-10-2006, 04:40 PM
A mate of mine from work - maccamania - sent me a link to his 1770 trip in about April. #Came on to have a look and I was hooked! :D #

It is a wonderful site, I too have met strangers at the boat ramp (but in daylight) and I could not have gone fishing with nicer person! Although his wife rang to check that he was OK! ;D ;D ;D

I have met some great people, some only online, some in the flesh but they have all been great people. #I love that fact that people are willing to help if you have a question and you will get practical answers, tried and tested by the members here! and people even help you out with some GPS spots if you ask nicely! :) I just love it and am on here way too much! #Then Pete wanted to know what I was doing on the internet and now I am lucky if I get a look in!

And all of these nice people that are offering to take Pete off my hands while he is on holidays so I can get a break from his sad face - I thank you!!! I have a quiet night planned with Antonio Banderas [smiley=smitten.gif] #Thank YOU Cheech! ;) #Now who wants him tomorrow?????? ;)

Cheers
:)Janine

Duyz72
02-10-2006, 05:12 PM
For me it was a net search also, then after a while figured out it was the best one around!

DazSamFishing
02-10-2006, 05:18 PM
My mechanic recommended that I check AUSFISH out if I am a fishing enthusiast...

I am now spending more time on the website than spending time with the missus!

Best fishos websit by far!

Daz ;D

dragon_diving
02-10-2006, 05:27 PM
i teach scuba diving and was put on to the site after refloating his boat from the midle of morton bay have to admit this site is as good as the jack daniels he gave as part payment its nice to see normal people carring on with politeness and careing for each other

tug_tellum
02-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Like Shayned I too came from Fishnet (are we allowed to say that Word) It was ok (just) but had no real meaning for me as a Queenslander,after all who gives a rodents rectum about port flip bay or cidney arber. When I started a topic on a question relating to Fraser Is (beach report) someone suggested I try Ausfish. I did , and now rarely ever wander back to the Dark Side. Cheers Mick

GAD
02-10-2006, 06:59 PM
Was using the google, looking for fishing sites and up it came , best site for fishing , good forums and no inhouse fighting , which seems to be the go on other southern sites.

Greg

robo02
02-10-2006, 07:41 PM
I heard Dave D talk about it one morning thought id have a look
hooked ever since and made some good friends here the best site on the net :)

Jim_Byrne
02-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Got chatting to a bloke at the ramp after a trip earlier in the year, he suggested I check out the site and that his name was Kintin. Thanks for the tip Kev!

Cheers

Jim

StevenM
02-10-2006, 08:13 PM
From bush n beach

imnotoriginal
02-10-2006, 08:20 PM
I was on another fishing website and I got recommended this one because there were more Qlders on here, I don't really go to the other site anymore, everything here tends to be more relevant for me.
Joel

Foolish_Chicken
02-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Googled fishing. I was a guest for a long time then joined up not long ago.
What a great site. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Mike

once_bitten
02-10-2006, 08:52 PM
mate told me

yibbiy
02-10-2006, 08:53 PM
busted my fishing mad boss on here during working hours

tunaman
02-10-2006, 09:06 PM
I typed in fishing and found it. Had a look at a few others, but this was the best. My missus says it keeps me out of trouble. Apparently ;D ::) :-X

signed tunaman 8-)

Glenn_Woods
02-10-2006, 09:13 PM
It has obviously helped alot of people to throw a cast net. I was actually looking for information on sounder readings. here i am. hooked, line and sinker her ever since. Im looking forward to my first M&G in the near future.
See you's on the water. Woodsy.

GO THE BRONCOS. [smiley=beer.gif]

Reef_fisher
02-10-2006, 09:17 PM
I was looking for info on reef fishing. Found other stuff i was looking for. Still haven't checked out how to throw a cast net. Best do that later. ;D

blaze
02-10-2006, 09:33 PM
that long ago I cant honestly say, more than likely I did a google for something to do with fish conservation as I was involved in a couple of different organisation at the time, ANSA being one of them. Seen a lot of members come and go, see some older member pop in from time to time.
Good way to waste a few hours
cheers
blaze

saphire
02-10-2006, 09:36 PM
I was searching for information on boat ramps when I found ausfish.
saphire.

gunnabuild1
02-10-2006, 09:42 PM
typed in south east queensland fishing and ended up here real glad I did.

Gbanger
02-10-2006, 09:48 PM
googled fishing + politics

2DKnBJ
02-10-2006, 09:54 PM
A mate told me about the site.
Thought i would have a look and i am still looking.
Met some top blokes through here and have been shown a thing or 2 and still learning.

Cheers Dazza

imported_admin
03-10-2006, 01:26 AM
Interesting how many people said they found the site in regard to cast netting. I decided to put that up on the site in video format as I had trouble trying to work it out myself by reading an explanation. Figured that if I wanted to know surely there would be many others. I also put them up on Youtube last week.

Thanks for all your kind comments, glad you enjoy the site.

DICER
03-10-2006, 03:58 AM
thanks steve - initially wanted to know what was biting and found much, much more

Kiktz
03-10-2006, 06:56 AM
I fonud this site agesa ago now from searching the net,
Since I have told alot of people about the site, Word of mouth in my book
is the best...........

More the Merrier...........Right???

Aj

aussie_true_blue
03-10-2006, 07:22 AM
a couple of young blokes who use this site told me about it

:o Bob

Great_White
03-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Was looking over the wifes sholder at what she was having a good old laugh about and then joined up myself #:) :) :)

Peter #;)

Pistol_P
03-10-2006, 02:41 PM
bloke at work told me. now its my home page ;) top site, top people.

onerabbit
03-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Yep, google search.

Muzz

Black_Rat
03-10-2006, 06:44 PM
Googled 'Alvey' and after a few links ended up here :)

NEWBY
03-10-2006, 07:12 PM
I found this joint on Google. I cannot beging to list the help and advise I have got here over the last 2 years. And more importantly, some bloody good mates have been made here too. Isnt it funny that with all these people on Ausfish that this place really doesnt have its share of uuanker$. I have been to 2 M&G's now and by end of November that number will have climbed to 4. Bloody good country Australia, bloody great web site Ausfish.

bidkev
03-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Got chatting to a bloke at the ramp after a trip earlier in the year, he suggested I check out the site and that his name was Kintin. Thanks for the tip Kev!

Cheers

Jim

Your welcome Jim :D I think it's the only decent advice I've given anybody ;D

kev

If someone says something unkind about me, I must live so that no one will believe it.

bidkev
03-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Googled "changing trailer bearings"

and came up trumps.........still can't do my own bearings though..........over 2 ton of boat sitting on a steep drive has me having nightmares of the rig sliding backwards and flattening the house ;D.

Figured out the cast netting myself although I can't for the life of me chuck it off me shoulder :-/ ::) ;D

kev

If the road you travel, has no obstacles, It leads nowhere.

Hornblower
03-10-2006, 09:35 PM
A fellow fishermate told me about it about two years ago, and I read the posts before, finally, becoming a member.

Cheers ;) ;) ;) ;)