fishingnottake
02-10-2006, 01:47 PM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,20508243-1248,00.html?from=public_rss

el_carpo
02-10-2006, 02:13 PM
:o :o :o Yikes!

Dirtysanchez
02-10-2006, 02:42 PM
if they wanted a feed of fish all they would have had to do was ask !! ;)

Seriously though that's pretty bad, knives and baseball bats, come on guys, live and let llive

griz066
02-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Note to self,

Stay away from the jetty's at Labrador.

I bet the parents must be proud of this pair [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif]

Poodroo
02-10-2006, 04:05 PM
It once again confirms all the bad things I have said about the Gold Coast for about 15-20 years. It seems that the place has been taken over by tourists and gangs. Many years ago my younger brother and his friend were just taking a leisurely stroll through Surfers when a gang member and his followers walked up to them and asked "What the f*#k are you smiling at?" and with no provokation whatsoever proceeded to beat the living snot out of my brother and his friend. I myself some years ago went fishing with a friend off the Sundale Jetty near what used to be Chloe's restaurant and at about 2am some thugs snuck onto the jetty with us and grabbed my knife. My friend saw him grab my knife and yelled out for me to watch out but I did see them coming and didn't trust the look of them and grabbed a nearby fishing baton (used to stun fish) and I swung it with good acuracy breaking the arm of my would be assailant. They all were young and decided to run. My knife went in the drink and my friend and I quickly packed up and left before they came back with more numbers. I did have one more run in at Surfers which I won't go into in any great depth but my wife and I thought we were going to die when all these gang members came from nowhere telling us we insulted them by calling them a name which couldn't have been further from the truth.(think they just wanted an excuse to beat up on someone) Just minding our own business and they still came for us. I have not been back there at night in a long long time. Just don't feel safe anymore. :-/

Poodroo

Cruize
02-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Bring back hanging and flogging - idiot drug stuffed meatheads.

4x4frog
02-10-2006, 04:35 PM
Bring back hanging and flogging - idiot drug stuffed meatheads.
Here here. I have been saying similar for years and my boys used to tell me to lay off Dad, you can't say that's it's not right. They are 18 and 15 now and totally agree with me. It's sad though that the world is going this direction.

BTW, what's the southern end of the coast like? Around Burleigh/Tweed area? Probably bad, full of 'mexicans' ;D

Louis
02-10-2006, 04:39 PM
It is a sad indictment on our society, that in this modern era, a person has to be so careful where they decide to fish of a night time lest they be attacked and bashed by some gang of roaming louts.

Louis

marlinqld
02-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Gee the things some people do for a feed of fish.....hang the d***heads.........................

Mike

madmix
02-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Maybe the next fish bat I turn, might have to be a couple of
foot longer than normal, any orders???

cheers Mick

fishingjew
02-10-2006, 07:59 PM
It is a sad indictment on our society, that in this modern era, a person has to be so careful where they decide to fish of a night time lest they be attacked and bashed by some gang of roaming louts.

Louis

I live at southport and love my beach fishing and so does my better half she allways gets a bigger one but its got to a stage now that i wont take her at night .Have a scanner at home and often have it on at night and belive me you only here 1\4 of what is really happening they cant let to much out schoolies being a perfect example tottaly different to what i here and what the papers say told my child dont even ask.
I feel sorry for the police down here they are tottally understaffed specially on the weekends response time up to an hour sometimes.
Russell

boatboy50
02-10-2006, 08:04 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm sure there is even more to this story.

I along with many others live on the Coast (have for over ten years) and have never felt uneasy or unsafe. I travel to this location, surfers, broadie ect regularly.

EVERY place has their bad eggs. I would feel no less safe here than I have when travelling Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne or USA.

I'm sure the fisherman (remember they were Brisbane Guys) are just as much to blame as the guys who lived in the units.

The Gold Coast is certainly not to blame, so don't just jump on the "write off the Goldie" bandwagon.

Regards

Darren

P.S. Leave the Polys alone too!! :P

tunaman
02-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Thats very bad! The world has gone mad. These gangs are growning in numbers all the time, and the US T>V shows are half to blame.
Does anyone see that the Australian youth are copying the USA. and look at John Howard, with his head right up bushes ass.
I feel that we are loseing our idenity. I think 4 years in the army would be better than jail. At least they would come out with a trade and a bit of respect, and who knows, they might make something of them selfs.
Just my thoughts.

signed tunaman

Glenn_Woods
02-10-2006, 10:24 PM
I'd say that story might have two sides to it. Those fishos were knocking a few down and could have been a bit rowdy. Still doesn't mean you go an break an arm or knife someone. I think it's not safe to fish at night by your self anymore. Besides, i like the company of a good mate to fish with.
Woodsy

fishingnottake
02-10-2006, 10:36 PM
i agree it's shocking, it's part of the reason i'm hesitant to give people my fishing spots, and rather meet up witht hema nd take them there, if it isn;t the samoans and asians clearing out the area with cast nets and trying to "move" you on, it's drunk mobs,., some nights i'm flat out fishing between the discussions, on the other hand, it;s amazing how polite alot of these guys get when you're fishing in a group.

PinHead
03-10-2006, 05:06 AM
Read the two attached articles...from the same news service yet they depict totally differing scenarios.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20506958-1248,00.html

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20508243-1248,00.html

tunaman
03-10-2006, 05:17 AM
Thats interesting. Which one is right? Still a cowardly thing to do.
What happened to the old one/ on one, if it has to come to that.

signed tunaman >:(

fishingnottake
03-10-2006, 08:17 AM
yeah, there was a third version on the news that gave the impression it was two groups of fishermen involved, about the only consistent facts seem to be the weapons and ages, is the grand hotel anywhere near the water?
ash

backhoe
03-10-2006, 08:20 AM
yeah, there was a third version on the news that gave the impression it was two groups of fishermen involved, about the only consistent facts seem to be the weapons and ages, is the grand hotel anywhere near the water?
ash

Grand is on the waterfront. Few jetties/fishing platforms in front of it

Duyz72
03-10-2006, 10:27 AM
And plenty of waterfront apartment style high rise living behind it.
One building is holiday / student lease only so you can imagine the hijinks that occur.

Hornblower
03-10-2006, 10:17 PM
There must be more to this story - reading between the lines - two fishos Full of P155 and getting loud and two w&nkers with violence n their hearts and drugs on them seeing two easy targets. Fault on boths sides - possibly.

It is getting to the point where before you buy a baseball bat, you should be a licensed member of a basball club - and by that I don't mean a bikie gang ;D ;D ;D ;D

flatstrap
03-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Definitely safer out on the water!

I've been living in the Gold Coast and I believe that there are 3 versions of the GC.
a) The bright Tourist/ Holiday GC (potentially dangerous at night)
b) The family communities in the Nth suburbs & hinterland (peaceful & predictable)
c) The natural GC: Broadwater, ocean. and many island hideways (Beautiful and safe)

Where do you want to go today?

bidkev
03-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Amazing how brave folk are when they're team-handed. How often do you hear on the news of an individual being assaulted by an individual with no other parties involved? Any bust-ups between just two guys with a hand-shake after and an agreement to disagree? Nope!

It seems that nowadays folk only operate mob-handed, and invariably with grog or some other "medicine" involved. Just what is it in out society that many can only prove their prowess by forcing their attitudes on others armed with weapon of choice, which may be something as small as a Stanley knife blade or as big as a semi-trailer, with the matching accessory of mates as back-up?

To my way of thinking it does nothing to prove their 'manliness" but only goes to illustrate their total insecurity at being unable to confront another belligerent armed with nothing other than your wits, a few choice words, and only, as a final resort, a swift kick to your opponents gonads..........

They're simply cowards, wankers, and scum, and unfortunately, it's us, the silent majority, that have allowed our politically correct establishment to spawn 'em..........but let's not lose sight of the main conundrum..........at one time they were someone's little darling who more than likely were prowling the streets at 14 yrs of age when their parents were glued to the box.........."WHAT! not my little Jimmy" they would say when someone would blow down their ear about Jimmy graffitiing the local school or pinching the bike off the kid down the street.

kev

This quote could well apply to our justice system

If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me.

Fisher4life
03-10-2006, 11:33 PM
:o :o

I was always told that labradore was a fairly safe kinda neighbour hood. I regularly head down there and fish from the board walk with a mate.