PDA

View Full Version : Is Fishing a Sport, Hobie, Obsessionetc

Tropicaltrout
02-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Hey ausfishers here's one for all, I love my fishing its part of my make up, Most of my conversation is fishing I enjoy all the different aspects of it so for me its ALL OF THE ABOVE, but what about you?

Cheers TT

Tropicaltrout
02-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Please excuse the heading spelling :o

jollyman
02-10-2006, 09:21 PM
For me it's just an excuse to go somewhere isolated and peaceful. I don't keep biggest fish records and it's not about how often I go. It's more about getting away, watching the sun rise and hopefully being able to have some fresh fish for breakfast. Having said that, hooking into a big fish isn't too bad either :-)

blaze
02-10-2006, 09:28 PM
I went with "all the above" + some
Every time I go its for a different reason.
escapism if thats a word
cheers
blaze

stevedemon
03-10-2006, 06:28 AM
Hi guys
it's always been a hobbie for me and that is when i can get out as well as the facts it is just been on the salt water and relaxing and if i can get a couple of fish to take home then that is a big bonus as well

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Kiktz
03-10-2006, 06:59 AM
Fishing was a great part of my life as a young kid growing up,
Easter Holidays at Lodger's Crk at Southport, alot of good memories and
even more embrassing pics of the small verision of this smart ass that my mates know today...............

Mid to late teens otherthings were of more interest but over the last 7yrs
I have re-ignited my absolute passion/ obbession for fishing.
It has honestly consumed my life or the best part of it taking up much of my spare time and I LOVE it.................

marlinqld
03-10-2006, 07:01 AM
All of the above for me. ;D

Mike

Reef_fisher
03-10-2006, 08:29 AM
purely for the escape and peace and quiet 8-)

Fishing_Widow
03-10-2006, 12:25 PM
TT,

You forgot ADICTION.

My response was interest and past time and it is only this because my hubby (IanK) is adicted. He even gets withdrawls if he doesn't fish for a while. ::) A bugger when we go on holidays - always packing the fishing gear. ;D

Cheers
Nomes

Great_White
03-10-2006, 01:04 PM
Good poll TT, I went for all of the above :) :) :)

Peter.

Pistol_P
03-10-2006, 03:29 PM
cant wait for the kids to grow up and move out so the missus can come too ;)

backhoe
03-10-2006, 03:44 PM
All of the above
An old bloke once told me that fishing is a lifestyle. If your not fishing, your getting ready to go or at the very least thinking about the next trip or ones that you have had.
For me a love of fishing was a great gift passed down from my parents that I hope my kids will get from me
Kev

GAFYM
03-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Mate has to be all of the above.

Spent 21 yrs in the Navy, most of it at sea, and never went anywhere without "the gear"
Nearly always handlines stored in the signal shelter as we didnt have the "ACCOMMODATION" they have today.

Fished wherever we berthed, in places most have never heard of.

Cheers 8-)

NEWBY
03-10-2006, 07:24 PM
Fishing?
Buying gear is a HOBBY
Going fishing is a PASSION
Catching fish is a SPORT
Being on the water is my OBSESSION
ALL OF THE ABOVE = OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER

cdenyer
03-10-2006, 07:45 PM
For me it's just an excuse to go somewhere isolated and peaceful. I don't keep biggest fish records and it's not about how often I go. It's more about getting away, watching the sun rise and hopefully being able to have some fresh fish for breakfast. Having said that, hooking into a big fish isn't too bad either :-)

I agree entirely,

I love getting away from it all, and if I catch a feed, thats just a bonus. I'm certainly not into pb's and the like, I only keep a ruler for legality reasons.

Chris

metallica
03-10-2006, 08:04 PM
I said all of the above too, because its basically all i ever think about.... To say fishing is everything to me is a bit far, Family is no. 1 and fishing is closely followed in no.2

cheers, Dave

Hornblower
03-10-2006, 09:32 PM
I had to tick all of the above because religion wasn't an available choice ;D ;D ;D ;D

SURF_SNIPER
03-10-2006, 09:43 PM
all above but overall its a lifestyle ;)

ancienttinnie
03-10-2006, 10:16 PM
It is so much a part of me it isn't funny, five days a week at work and two days a week on my time off.

Bundy_Burp
03-10-2006, 10:17 PM
All of the above but with me its mostly an obsession [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bundy 8-)

bidkev
03-10-2006, 10:36 PM
Yep..........all of the above I suppose.

I was a feral loner when I was a littlie........the school kids saw me as "that orphan with no arse in his pants and snot on his sleeve." Fishing was my escape, but more importantly, it taught me that it was individuals who were cruel and not the whole world. I would meet older fishos who would share their hot flasks with me and teach me how to tie hooks and the like. They would congratulate me when I pulled in a fish and give me their left-over bait when they decided to pack in for the day.

Looking back, on those grey, cold, miserable days of the fifties, it was *everything* that made my life bearable.......the sense of achievement gave me self-esteem and the companionship gave me warmth in an otherwise cold, miserable world.

My sports have always been solitary ones as I'm not a "team player" and fishing has been the best way that I could reach out to my kids. I can't teach 'em to play footy and I cheat when we play gin rummy ;D

Fishing helps me communicate with my kids about conservation, environment, pulling together, and when it comes to buying prezzies, I am never stuck for an option ;D

I just love everything about it, and I'd be buggered without it.

kev

If there are no tears in the eyes, there will be no rainbow in the soul.

Yuffie
03-10-2006, 10:44 PM
I ticked ํnterest' because I just started fishing not recently, and I've been fishing for less then 10 times.. but at the rate my bf and I are going, I think when we learn more about fishing, it's going to become a hobby and possibly turn into an obsession.... :-?

Yuffie
03-10-2006, 10:45 PM
I mean started fishing recently, accidentally put a 'not'in there... :-[

Jim_Byrne
03-10-2006, 10:48 PM
All of the above..... I reckon its more than just a lifesyle, its a way of life! and healthy one at that, as long as your cathcing a feed.

Cheers

Jim

Jim_Byrne
03-10-2006, 10:48 PM
All of the above..... I reckon its more than just a lifesyle, its a way of life! and healthy one at that, as long as your catching a feed.

Cheers

Jim

Fisher4life
03-10-2006, 11:36 PM
i'd like to call it a past time/ hobbie. The Mrs calls it an obsession...
:-?
so i guess "all of the above" fit's it best

finga64
04-10-2006, 08:03 AM
I'm sorry to report fishing isn't an obsession with me.

I love it, I dream about it, live to be able to do it, plan to do it, look forward to doing it but if something more important crops up (ie the car blows up into little tiny pieces or China invades us or, in the most unthinkable case, we've been burgled and some scum bag stole all the fishing gear, the dog and the boat) I'm not going to commit hurri-kurri over missing a trip.

Please don't throw me out now the truth is out :)
Scott