PDA

View Full Version : Shark slaughter

DICER
02-10-2006, 01:40 AM
Below is an article I read in the New Scientist about shark slaughter. It makes you wonder how many million tons are being taken......

Shark slaughter shock

At least four times as many sharks are killed for their fins as are reported in official figures.

From inventories of shark-fin sales at auctions in Hong Kong, researchers from the University of Hawaii and elsewhere estimate that the numbers of sharks caught around the world are far higher than the figures published by the UN Food and Agriculture Organization. "It is not a question of blaming the FAO," says Shelley Clarke, who led the investigation. "But it highlights the scepticism we should have about fisheries data," she adds.

Clarke's team collected auction inventories from leading Hong Kong fin markets between October 1999 and March 2001. About 1.7 million tonnes of fins are sold globally each year, Clarke estimates, more than quadruple the 0.39 million tonnes estimated by the FAO. This equates to 73 million sharks per year (Ecology Letters, vol 9, p 1115).

If anything, the team's figures are likely to be underestimates, says Clarke, as they are based on data only from international auctions.

Dirtysanchez
02-10-2006, 09:18 AM
Pity they can't put a stop to this.. Shark fin soup isn't that great.

Alternatively at least put the carcass to good use feeding people who are going hungry day after day

Perfect world it aint, but we could be doing a better job :-/

stevedemon
02-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Hi all
could not agree more with the last comment on feeding the hungry
millions of people straving and the oversea's pro's just wasting good food.

Although the problem is many sharks are suppose to have a bad percentage of mercury in them, but they still use them in fish cake, fish finger, crumbed fish and most processed seafood items here and oversea.

So why, is it that with all the technological skills in this world no-one has tried to put this to the so-call environmentalist to help instead of wasting there time, place the idea of thought they will not stop the slaughter of sharks, the same as they will not stop the Japanese from the slaughter of Whales, they use the excuse of experiments and Chinese and asian fishing fleet use the excuse it is there culture and it is a Remedy. but we need to remember that they to have straving people in there countries and there are still straving people here as well as homeless

So are we much different apart from the facts that we here try to help out homeless people with the different supplies on hand and groups that go around but our Governments are no different to any where else

sorry but that is the way i have seen, Read, and hear things someone else may want to correct me on these things but look around and see how many people are on our streets living in Drains, gutters, broken house, bushes, or on the park benches train platforms, some of these people did have choices but others have been forced there through no fault of there own.

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Tropicaltrout
02-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Its the same here SD they kill the sharks, marlin and other marine creatures that should be havested for the homeless, I have see it up close and why a beautiful creatures must die for nothing has got me stuffed bad management. >:(

whats the answer cull the commercial fishermen, there's other jobs out there they just have to look!

Noelm
03-10-2006, 08:30 AM
how is a comercial fisheman and different to a game fishing comp where big sharks are weighed, then towed out to sea and dumped? o don't see a lot of difference, do you?

Bris_Vegas
03-10-2006, 08:40 AM
Teh simple fact is its not profitable for these commercials to keep shark carcasses and "feed the underprivilaged".

end of story. Until it is they will continue to dump the bodies.

Thats just what happens when it money on the mind.

Graham_N_Roberts
03-10-2006, 10:10 PM
You're spot on Bris-Vegas,

It just ain't profitable to feed the starving on this planet. How bloody immoral is the big business world? Raking in billions of dollars, often at the expense of third world workers, and can't feed the starving. :(

Follow the trucks from the big two food cahinstores (you know who I mean) out to the dump and watch the good food go into landfill. :-[ :-[ >:(

I've seen brand new mini moke parts being destroyed and dumped, rather than sell them off cheap, or even give them away. I've seen the same with furniture, carpet, brand new superceded TV's etc. :-?

There is more than enough produced to feed every person on this planet, and to give them a roof over their head. But, it's a rich mans world, and always will be. :-[

fish_outta_water
04-10-2006, 08:49 AM
agree with you freshie/ bris vagas ,
however your wrong in that feeding the poor isnt a very profitable industry ; look at the red cross , live aid , tsnami funds all raised millions for the pen pushin p***ks that run these schemes , but little is ever done
schools in the u.k have been raising money for wells in africa since the 1950s , im surprised the countrys not under water at that rate :-?
as someone who lived on the streets and was hungry , i know the best help in this world is just regular folk giving you there help and time . ;)
back to the point at hand dunno what i wouldve done with a shark when i was sleeping rough ::)

fisher28
05-10-2006, 09:45 AM
i dont think we should generalize and "cull" all commercial fishers.crabbers and inshore fishers do not keep shark as im sure many others dont.