PDA

View Full Version : Whales

GAFYM
21-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Was out fishing today N.E. of the Seaway not catching much just the usual King George Whiting as my Victorian mate calls them (I call them bloody GRINNERS) when the floater out the back went berserk. The water around the boat literally boiled and bait fish went everywhere. Next thing we are in the middle of a pod of very hungry Whales. I am talking lifting the boat out of the water (6.8mtr) and tossing us like nine pins. When you see something that size charging like a freight train straight at you the bowel gets very loose. They didnt actually hit the boat but were missing by an arms length. Was bloody scarey. It happened so fast with no warning whatsoever. We had seen Whales out there but they were well off in the distance. Even when we started clearing out they still kept it up.

Only true thing i can say is that i hooked one of the biggest things in the ocean (for a short time anyway) ;D ;D

2fishy
21-08-2006, 10:02 PM
yeah when they are only meters away you would be a bit on edge, i would imagin it wouldn't be to hard for then to tip a small boat.

Bundy_Burp
21-08-2006, 10:21 PM
You might want to upgrade you fishing tackle a little bit if you plan on trying to land one of those big buggers ;D

Bundy 8-)

choppa
22-08-2006, 06:28 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

no need to ask about ""tag & release"",,

griz066
22-08-2006, 06:40 AM
Easiest way to get rid of $100.00 worth of braid that I know of when you hook the barnacles on one of those buggers ::)

onerabbit
22-08-2006, 08:59 AM
How unnerving !!!
I have had whales go under the boat or 10 ft off the side, but they were very calm & just cruising. (that made us nervous enough )
To be surrounded by a very active pod like that would have been REALLY SCAREY, in the same spot I think it would have been lumps in the pants all round.
What an experience!!!

Muzz

devocean1
22-08-2006, 01:42 PM
They can be quite scary especially when spearfishing. They tend to snaek up on you as well and any thing that big underwater is pretty daunting. Just hearing their noises underwater is pretty scary. Weve had heaps of humpbacks up Bowen this year and you can see them playing from the each only about 4km out pretty frequently.

matt-181
22-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Yeh i used to work on a whale watching boat, its pretty specatcular when you see things like that but it'd be pretty scary in a boat smaller than IT!! haha expecially 4 times smaller... Its tongue weight 3 tonnes on average ... 3 TONNE!!!!

maxwellson
27-08-2006, 08:01 AM
one of the pros who fish out of ballina hit one last week !!! did a lot of damage to his motor. scary stuff. i had one swim under my little boat a few years back when i stuck my head out through the bar to check out some baitfish action 200 mts out. scared the hell out of me !!!!!!! didnt stay out there long ;D ;D ;D

cheers Maxi

onerabbit
27-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Hi maxwellson,
Just met hotchilli yesterday when he was picking up the kids.

That minke had been hanging in the river a lot over the last week, lots of sightings.
Poor bugger , apparently did some damage to Jobbo's boat.

Muzz

GAD
27-08-2006, 05:41 PM
There was a pod of 5 or 6 out near Green Island today , and my thoughts were I'd hate to hit one . Great to see whales out there though.

saphire
27-08-2006, 08:00 PM
Cool. :)

choppa
27-08-2006, 09:48 PM
They can be quite scary especially when spearfishing. They tend to snaek up on you

how does 20 tonne of fish sneak up on ya????????? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

and more important,,,,do sharks imitate em??????????????

maxwellson
28-08-2006, 04:30 PM
hey onerabbit, yeah the chilliman said he met you, we will have to have a fish together soon, maybe you can join tintenbar fishing club, most welcome mate. jobbo would not be a happy jobbo im sure.

cheers Maxi

jim_bream
29-08-2006, 10:33 PM
GAFYM:
what were you using mate?
Berkleys? Hardbodies?
I hear laying a 20tonne berley trail's a bit of a hassle...?
;D

blaze
29-08-2006, 11:00 PM
had a couple, mother and calf go under my 14 foot tinnie last year about 40m off the end of the Stanley Wharf in about 14m of water. didnt know wether to panic, jump outa the boat and swim or what, so I reach for the camera and by the time the shakey hands had the thing on they were gone to far for a pic. Nearly what you would call an earth moving experience and one I will never forget.
cheers
blaze

Reef_fisher
05-10-2006, 10:20 AM
i am sure its not the berley trail that got laid. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Poodroo
06-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Stay clear of a new line called "Berkley powerbait Krill" ;D Aparently it comes with a free 200 metres of braid. ;D ;D ;D

Poodroo