PDA

View Full Version : water restrictions: the stupidity

finga64
09-09-2006, 05:30 PM
I'm really peeved just at the moment. Don't really know weather to thump something or just cry.

Just went to vote and saw that the slack-a-- neighbours are emptying their pool. The thing hasn't been cleaned for over three months and is as green as our lawn should be. They've used it probably 4 times in 3 years.

I rang the Logan council after hours number and was politely informed that people are allowed to empty their pools and refill them as long as the filling is before 7am and after 7pm 3 days a week (but didn't know which days these are).

Your kidding me. I can't wash my pride and joy after a fishing trip to save the boat from corroding away but slack-a-- people can empty and fill their pool just because they're lazy.

Where's the logic??

Poodroo
09-09-2006, 05:40 PM
I have to agree with you there. The mentality of government departments leaves a lot to be desired. My gripe with them is that most people with a bit of intelligence could tell we were in a drought situation 8-10 years ago. Personally I stopped watering lawns years ago to do my bit because as I have said to a lot of people "What possible use is a green lawn to us when we run out of water?" So my point is if people like me could figure this out so many years ago then why the hell didn't the government have a bit of forsight and start working on a plan way back then? Who the hell do they think they are telling us that we can't clean our boats/cars when people can still totally drain pools and refill them? Correct me if I am wrong but aren't we still flushing perfectly good drinking water down our loos? Couldn't we have been using recycled water just for that? Bad form!

Poodroo

saphire
09-09-2006, 05:51 PM
You dont have to empty your pool to clean it.
You just bomb it with chlorine and other chemicals and it will sparkling clean in no time.
It would be cheaper and less of a hassle if they just to to the pool shop and get some advice.
Emptying the pool is doing things the hard way.

finga64
09-09-2006, 06:07 PM
You just bomb it with chlorine and other chemicals and it will sparkling clean in no time.
It would be cheaper and less of a hassle if they just to to the pool shop and get some advice.
Agreed but there's a problem.
These people are slugs. They've mown (is that right??) their lawn twice in 3 years. I generally get the willies and go and whipper-snipper it. I can do this in 20minutes. The last time they did the back lawn it took 2 of them 2 days. The front lawn was 1/2 done about 4 or 5 months ago. The mower stopped so they also did.
The cook calls these people the cockroaches because we only see them in the dark scurrying from the car to the house then that's it.
They used to have a pool cleaner guy come in. He asked if they could top the pool up before he could use the sucker hose. That took them 4 days. One day to think about it, one day to drag the hose up, another day to turn the tap on and another day to remember to turn it off (well they didn't I did otherwise it would still be going).
This poor guy came back twice before there was water in it.
On other occassions I've gotten up in the middle of the night to turn their filter off. They can't hear the low water alarm going and I've gotten sick of telling them the pools low.

Poodroo
09-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Finga there is a solution here I think but maybe not one that the neighbours will like. One day while they are out order a concrete pump and fill the pool up. ;D ;D ;D

Poodroo

charleville
09-09-2006, 06:33 PM
The water restrictions must be devastating to the gardening industry. I normally like to keep a reasonable garden but am just doing the barest minimum at the moment. My wife also would normally be buying a few punnets of flower plants at this time but this year she has said, "Why bother! It is not worth doing." It is a dreadful shame. Our quality of life has shrunk and no amount of experts quoting overseas usage and cost benchmarks makes the situation any better.

I mention all of this because I was fascinated in seeing all of the "Tropic" lawn fertiliser stacked up at the entrance to Bunnings yesterday arvo. (Friday). Unless there is really heavy rain, you have to hose that stuff into the lawn lest it burns the lawn. Not the sort of job that you want to do with watering cans over a whole yard. One cannot help feeling that there is a buyer at Bunnings HQ in Melbourne buying product for all Bunnings stores and estimating demand based on past years' sales in spring without doing so much as looking out of the window occasionally. ;D

I have expressed strong opinions about how this so-called water crisis has been handled so I won't reiterate those here but it seems to me that all levels of government, federal, state and local, have lost the plot on the whole issue of water management in this country.

finga64
09-09-2006, 06:35 PM
:D
Na, couldn't do that but when the pools empty I really hope it rains before they fill it back up. ;)
Pop goes the wessel ie pool ;)

Scalem
09-09-2006, 06:40 PM
Hey Finga,

Depending on what type of pool they have, isn't there a risk of damage if the pool is emptied totally?? All that water pressure and then nothing? Watch them put a crack in her and then leak water constanty.. That will have you impressed. Maybe there is a problem with the pool and they have to empty it in order to have it fixed? Or they are having a liner put in or something?

Sorry mate, I am just trying to think of all possible reasons why they would empty it, It doesn't make a lot of sense. As saphire said, you can bomb a green pool with chemicals, get the filter working, and within days have it crystal clear. I've seen a pool in Daisy Hill come good after they had ducks bring their family in for a splash every day! What a waste of water!

Scalem

finga64
09-09-2006, 07:20 PM
mate, the pool is not 3 years old and fiberglass. Nothing wrong with it they're just slack.
The pool was bombed twice about two or three weeks ago and since then a cleaner hasn't been put in the pool. The water has been staying up so there's no leaks. They're just slack.
Last year we counted 38 cane toads in there dead. We worry about the mossies breeding in there as well.
Just to let you know what they're like.. they used to have a dog until we found a good home for it. We saw their daughter walk the dog once. After the walk she tied Eddy dog up to the front tap. Eddy was still there the next morning :'( I let the dog off and took him home to have a feed and to play with Roy. It took them til that afternoon to look for their dog. Sad, so sad.
Another day Eddy broke his chain and instead of running away he sat at our side gate ready to come in. @ days later I took him home. They didn't realise he ran away. We found him a new on a farm after that episode.

Scalem
09-09-2006, 08:37 PM
mate, the pool is not 3 years old and fiberglass. Nothing wrong with it they're just slack.
The pool was bombed twice about two or three weeks ago and since then a cleaner hasn't been put in the pool. The water has been staying up so there's no leaks. They're just slack.
Last year we counted 38 cane toads in there dead. We worry about the mossies breeding in there as well.
Just to let you know what they're like.. they used to have a dog until we found a good home for it. We saw their daughter walk the dog once. After the walk she tied Eddy dog up to the front tap. Eddy was still there the next morning :'( I let the dog off and took him home to have a feed and to play with Roy. It took them til that afternoon to look for their dog. Sad, so sad.
Another day Eddy broke his chain and instead of running away he sat at our side gate ready to come in. @ days later I took him home. They didn't realise he ran away. We found him a new on a farm after that episode.

Here Eddy, Here Boy!!! I bet they haven't figure out why he hasn't eaten his tea yet ( several weeks old!!) That's very sad story Finga, I draw the line when animals are adversely affected. Tie them up to the tap and ignor them for hours. They must be on drugs..... Who knows what goes on inside.

Scalem

grenadier
09-09-2006, 08:43 PM
dont worry beatties been re-elected so we can all use the hose now i know i will be he promised more water so he can f#$%ing deliver

BilgeBoy
09-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Hey Finga

Time to move mate!! In the Redlands we are still on level 2 water restrictions....and ya can small the Jetty its that close. Then again...we all got our share of slugs in this world.

Or

Next time this pool gets green...slip in a few freshies...park the boat up and cast away. could make for some good night time fishing. And the slugs wont seam so bad after all!! ;D

Good luck!

moondancer
10-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Next time this pool gets green...slip in a few freshies...park the boat up and cast away!! I'm with Bilge Boy. Mate, you actually sound like a totally decent neighbour! Switching their filter off when the lo water warning buzzes - you've saved them huge $$!! Keep sticking to what is right!! /me

rajawolf
10-09-2006, 04:15 PM
dont worry beatties been re-elected so we can all use the hose now i know i will be he promised more water so he can f#$%ing deliver

......and Beatie commanded god to....? ;)

marlinqld
10-09-2006, 04:41 PM
no restrictions in redlands.

Can wash boat and flush motor anytime as long as hose has trigger nozzle so you can turn it off when not washing soapy water off. ;D

Mike

onmyown123
10-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Mate there are all types that make a world, and unfortuanately these type of morons make up that little part. The pollies are just as bad, up here in Maryborough you see the sprinklers on when it is raining.....YES IT DOES RAIN HERE... so mate the only advice I can give ya is to round up some mates have a whip around and fill the bugga with concrete...problem solved.

Kevvy

Murks
10-09-2006, 06:51 PM
hey finga it sounds to me as though you need a real estate agent...

finga64
10-09-2006, 07:07 PM
hey finga it sounds to me as though you need a real estate agent...
Na, sorry. I love the area. So close to the Logan and the Pin. Easy for us to go to Evans and Warwick where we have other places to stay (and enjoy staying at):)

The neighbours aren't really a problem.
We don't see them, we don't hear them, we can't talk to them, they don't come to our house, they don't wake us up with the whipper snipper. Great neighbours in fact. :D

Don't really know who's the dumb one. Them for letting their place get so bad or me getting the willies and going to knock the back lawn down (we can't see the front lawn so we don't give a rats) or turn off the pool pump or.... Maybe they're the smart ones #;)
It's a crying shame really because the house is 3 years old next X-mas and they've mown the lawn twice and cleaned their new pool maybe 3 times.
We thought they were going to start a garden. The plants are now dried arrangements on the BBQ.
:) They asked all the other neighbours around for a house warming after they were there for 6 months. Nobody went. We all worried about our health :D

Out of all this it still amases me that anybody can legally empty their pool and refill it as long as it on the allocated day.
The council and I may have a discussion about that tomorrow.

bushbeachboy
10-09-2006, 08:02 PM
No restrictions in the Burdekin either. And I'd bet the fishing's better too. Beattie was talking of piping water from the Burdekin Dam to Brisbane. I hope he does it. The pipeline would be about 1200km long, but it's possible to do it, and there's plenty of water up here. At the moment they provide about 3300 megalitres a day to the Burdekin for cane irrigation, and when it gets dry, about 120 megalitres a day for Townsville water supply. It still never looks like the dam getting low, so there's plenty of water for Bris.

Poodroo
10-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Well gees Finga, you have really now painted an ugly picture of your neighbours. I can only imagine what the inside of their place looks like. :-/ I used to know people like that who were very nice people and I was invited in for a drink one time and the wife was cooking lunch. She asked if I was interested in having a home made spring rolls and I thought "yeah why not" and when I got the plate with a couple of spring rolls on it I saw some dark crispy bits after I took a bite and on closer inspection realized the spring rolls were being served with a side dish of deep fried cockroaches. :-/ Inside the whole house was literally crawling with them. They had 3 adult cats living inside all the time and walked the kitchen benchtops when they prepared food. I looked after the animals for them once when they went on a week holiday and was mortified to see dried up cat vomit on the kitchen bench. Does this make your neighbours sound good or perhaps these people I knew moved and became your neighbours? ;D ;D

Poodroo

finga64
10-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Mate, you win hands down, no questions asked.
In some countries cockies are well liked as tucker you know
What does dry cat vomit look like anyways??
We have never been in their house except when they were actually building and before they moved in.

tunaman
10-09-2006, 10:02 PM
:o :o man! I get slapped around the head even if I leave a coffee ring
on the kitchen bench. But emitying the pool is a waste of good water.
Its going to get hotter and drier in the years to come, and if the worst
happens, and the taps run dry, pools will become a thing of the past.

signed tunaman

Poodroo
10-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Backstroke across the bottom of a dry pool is gonna hurt some. ;D

Poodroo

tunaman
10-09-2006, 10:22 PM
LOL Turn it into skate park, and charge five bucks a head ;D

signed tunaman ;D

Poodroo
10-09-2006, 10:24 PM
LOL Turn it into skate park, and charge five bucks a head ;D

signed tunaman ;D

Tunaman you're so full of good ideas where ever I see you posting on this site. You da man! ;D ;D

Poodroo

Hornblower
10-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Hey finga - they are probably labor voters ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

About their lawn, tell them you saw a king brown snake go from the lawn to under their house chasing a bit fat rat - see if that gets a reaction. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Other then that, put a for sale sign on THEIR property!!!

Cheers ;) ;) ;) ;)

Rainbowrunner
11-09-2006, 01:18 AM
is this a fire hazard?, they could be made to clean it up

Got_the_Fever
11-09-2006, 06:32 AM
Contact the council. They can make them clean up the yard or do it for them and then charge them a fortune. That only solves part of the problem I know, but it is a start.

Kel

aussie_true_blue
11-09-2006, 07:12 AM
On the water issues, Why cant the someone remove any dirt/ground that is now exposed, due to low water levels, then when it rains the dams would hold more water (when????) the dams are full again.

Bob

Poodroo
11-09-2006, 07:22 AM
On the water issues, Why cant the someone remove any dirt/ground #that is now exposed, due to low water levels, then when it rains the dams would hold #more water (when????) #the dams are full again.

Bob

That is such a good idea Bob. What we need in the government is less polititians and more normal people like yourself with a brain and who uses it. ;)

Poodroo

finga64
11-09-2006, 07:25 AM
No fire hazard or snake hazard because I knock it down before it gets to that stage. I'm not going to wait for the council to do something about it, it's easier and quicker for me to go and clean it up. Not so sure this spring though if we have decent rains as not once have they ever said ta to us for cleaning up their back yard.
I honestly don't know if they even realised someones been in and whipper sniped the place.

Lone_Wolf
11-09-2006, 07:52 AM
Scotty,

Are they renting the property?

LW

were-trout
11-09-2006, 07:53 AM
Agreed but there's a problem.
These people are slugs. They've mown (is that right??) their lawn twice in 3 years. I generally get the willies and go and whipper-snipper it. I can do this in 20minutes. The last time they did the back lawn it took 2 of them 2 days. The front lawn was 1/2 done about 4 or 5 months ago. The mower stopped so they also did.
The cook calls these people the cockroaches because we only see them in the dark scurrying from the car to the house then that's it.
They used to have a pool cleaner guy come in. He asked if they could top the pool up before he could use the sucker hose. That took them 4 days. One day to think about it, one day to drag the hose up, another day to turn the tap on and another day to remember to turn it off (well they didn't I did otherwise it would still be going).
This poor guy came back twice before there was water in it.
On other occassions I've gotten up in the middle of the night to turn their filter off. They can't hear the low water alarm going and I've gotten sick of telling them the pools low.

Hey Finga

They sound exactly like the people who used to live behind us (touch wood - I think it's someone else now). They used to run their pool filter for eight days at a time and you could hear it in our house cos it's right up against the fence. Think they were too smacked out to notice. The best thing was when they used to have fights and hit each other with frying pans at four in the morning. Oh yeah and their mum, who lived next door, used to hose down the yard in the middle of the day while wearing no underwear .. don't ask me how I know that :o

stevedemon
11-09-2006, 07:57 AM
Hi poodroo and aussie_true_blue

this suggestion has already been put forward in all dam while they are so low and drudge the mud out along with piping from down the top end of the tweed river and pump it back into the wivenhoe and summerset dams as they are already running a gas line down from the top end of FNQ run another pipe down along side and back into all dams throughtout qld after all where do we get the most amount of rain and cyclones but as usual it fells on deaf ears they are only interested in listening to there own voices not sensibilities

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

finga64
11-09-2006, 08:14 AM
Scotty,

LW
We own thank God, the landlord would have a hissy fit if he/she saw the crap in my workshop :)

Lone_Wolf
11-09-2006, 08:16 AM
Re: water restrictions: the stupidity
« Reply #34 - on: Today at 08:14:26 » Quote from Lone_Wolf on Today at 07:52:02:
Scotty,

LW
We own thank God, the landlord would have a hissy fit if he/she saw the crap in my workshop

Sorry mate, I meant the neighbours. Are they renting?

aussie_true_blue
11-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Hey Steve,

Why cant they build a pipeline beside the gas line from NQ to SEQ .

I have a a few suggestions

1. They could use prisoners for labour and use Defence Force Personnel to supervise the prisoners.

2 Any prisoners with farming experience could run farms purchased by the Govt to supply food to the prisoners who in turn purchase the food from the farmer with money they are being paid and any profits are then used to repay the loan for the farm.

3. The prisioner/farmer when released is given the farm to run.

4. As the pipeline proceeds south more farms are purchased until the line reaches SEQ. By then the prisoners will have acquired new skills and when released will be able to help with skill shortages.

So we then have more money in the GOVT coffers because of the cheap construction costs to help save our fishing industry

Bob. ;D ::)

finga64
11-09-2006, 10:47 AM
Re: water restrictions: the stupidity
« Reply #34 - on: Today at 08:14:26 » # # Quote from Lone_Wolf on Today at 07:52:02:
Scotty,

LW
We own thank God, the landlord would have a hissy fit if he/she saw the crap in my workshop

Sorry mate, I meant the neighbours. Are they renting?

Oops, my mistake again :)
Na matey they own as well. Funny thing about that. We are looking at buying another investment place and blow me down who did the cook got on the phone. The neighbours :)

triman
11-09-2006, 10:50 AM
Governments are short-sighted and will not commence a major project which the other party may get kudos for opening. Now that Beattie's back he may look sensibly at a proposal to run a waterline in parallel with the gas line.
In WA they ran a gas line from Dampier to Perth. Now they would like to dig it up and bung down a water line but it won't happen untill after the next election.
heaven forbid that we should have a government that actually tried decent forward planning.
here in our Glorious Socialist Workers Paradise South Bracksie's been in power for 7 or 8 years. We are running out of water fast but rather than investigate alternative sources of supply his answer is to charge more for the residential user, despite us only using 20% of total consumption.

PinHead
11-09-2006, 05:03 PM
a water pipeline from the Burdekin to SE Qld is never going to happen..the price to build it is way too prohibitive.

PinHead
11-09-2006, 05:04 PM
I need to move..my neighbours are all quiet types..I need some like fingas to create some comedy relief.

finga64
11-09-2006, 05:49 PM
I need to move..my neighbours are all quiet types..I need some like fingas to create some comedy relief.
Comic relief, you want comic relief Pinhead ;D ;D
You should have been here when the neighbours were going to build the pool fence to save a coupla hundred dollars. Mr home loans turns up early, about 10.30am (his early, our smoko) and starts building a pool fence. He didn't have a tape, he didn't have a string line he had absolutely didly squat except for a claw hammer and his mate Eddy the dog. The cook and I watch for a while while we had our smoko out in the patio. Mr homeloans got the hose out and was going to use this for a string line to make the fence kind off straight. We nearly peed laughing.
So me been the idiot I am (and the fact we'd have to look at this fence all the time) asked if he wanted a hand. I'm an idiot. Long story short after he gave me a hand to get up some profiles (he held the staff) I built the friggin fence in the same time that he dug 2 holes. Shiny bums, you gotta wonder ::)
But at least it's straight and level and looks good.
Another story... When the house was built they left the sisalation (that's not right :-/) out of the roof (2 story house) to save $250 and then put in 5 split A/C units to stop the heat. Don't know what will happen if a tile cracks???
Another story...It was so funny when they actually tried to clean the back yard up. Two blokes took 2 days to mow and whipper snip a normal sized back yard. We were rolling around laughing. The mower broke down then the whipper sniper broke down. 2 days ;D ;D. That may have been because the mower and whipper sniper get left out in the rain and weather. No wonder they don't do it now. Mr home loans must have gotten the mower going because he started to mow the front lawn about 9 months ago. You can actually see where the mower broke down. Long here and longer there towards the middle of the lawn ;D ;D.
I can go on and on with the stories

finga64
11-09-2006, 05:56 PM
Ooh Ooh, got to tell everybody this one ;D ;D
What started this thread the pool emptying and refilling has progressed.
They didn't empty all the water out of the pool and had about 1 or 2 feet of water left in the bottom. Amasingly they started to fill the pool up again but didn't quite finish. The water level is about 6" below the clapper box. Didn't quite finish did they.
They also forgot to turn the bypass thingo off on the pump so when they went inside they didn't hear the pump still going. No alarms. It went for about 6 hours then stopped. Haven't heard it since. Now the pool is nearly full with a 1 or 2' layer of crud on the bottom.

PinHead
11-09-2006, 07:06 PM
that is classical finga..I love it...you should have filmed it all.

And..you did get sisalation correct.

stevedemon
12-09-2006, 02:45 PM
Hi all
in answer to some of the questions on the pipe line forget it beattie would rather flood properties then look at long term solutions as for using prisoners that is to much like good sensible thinking as for other suggestions that have been made no answers to them all as the paper work that has been sent to his office

2 xmas cards 1 with no name attached the other with dear steve form heather and peter beattie that was all the reply
returned cards with letter attached due to the facts that you have not replied to my other letter nor did you have the intestinal-fortitude to find out if i had a wife and kids to wish them a merry xmas as well is showing me a lack of integrity on your behalf and signed

i received along with many other letters sent to his office nil reply :'( :'( :'( :'(

but on a serious note we do have a never ending supply of water in the top end we do have a gas line coming down and we do have a never ending supply of prisoners offer them a reduced sentence providing they prove there wreth and teach them responsibilities and a trade the same as with some of the youth offer them a way to repay for the damage they do not just a slap on the wrist and don't do it again

there are plenty of ideas but gettting it through thick head Government bodies heads is another thing

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

PinHead
12-09-2006, 04:45 PM
steve..and who will pay for the pipleine and pumps etc..I did some quick figures on another post...about 1.2 billion bucks just for the pumps and motors..it will never happen.

Gas needs a much smaller pipe than water therefore the price is much cheaper..water is also harder to pump than gas.

finga64
12-09-2006, 06:20 PM
steve..and who will pay for the pipleine and pumps etc..I did some quick figures on another post...about 1.2 billion bucks just for the pumps and motors..it will never happen.

Gas needs a much smaller pipe than water therefore the price is much cheaper..water is also harder to pump than gas.

Why do you need pumps?? It all down hill isn't it??? ;)

Anybody been to the Snowies and seen the pumps they use??

They can drain a lake 4 times the size of Sydney Harbour through the turbines in peak periods of demand then use pumps to pump all the water back up overnight. One Hydro station (No.4) I saw had 6 or 8 turbines. The pipe into each turbine was 18' dia if I remember right and through each gate valve in 1 second enough water went through to fill a bath for a person for 36 years. It was a while ago when I was there so hopefully my memory isn't too far out but the figures are prity close.

There's a pipe from Adelaide to Alice for water isn't there?? But I think it's only 3 or 4' dia.

But there aren't near as many people in Alice either so who knows what size pipe you'd need to supply even 10% of Brisbane or SE QLD. The friction in the pipe is the biggest worry when trying to pump lots of water through a too little pipe.

stevedemon
12-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Hi pinhead as finga has stated
yes finga there is one from adelaide to the alice

pinhead where beattie is planning to place the dams it is once again lacking in the rain fall like every where else

the most rain falls in the top end and as for your figures you may be right but if the lines are laid at the same time as the gas then there is a saving we need to look into the future now and i am talking not 10 - 20 yrs but 50yrs from now most of us will not be around then but our children and grand-children will be

as for your figures it is going to cost nearly that just for the dams beattie is looking at putting in place at the Mary river/travernston buy the time he buy's propertys then starts to build the dams and this is in between the protest the court injunctions it will be more viable and less costly in the end and will not be putting people out of homes and lively hoods

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Lifestyle
13-09-2006, 06:22 PM
RE- digging the dams out so they are deeper and hold more water. whenit
does rain all the slit will end up in the water killing fish and makeing the water unfit for drinking. The only way to go is recycling and that dosn't mean grey water only but the water from our town drinking water. The treatment plants are large filtration plants like the pool set up. The back wash water should be sent back to the dams. As for sewerage water . It ends up on our sports feilds now and is treated to the epas standards so it goes into our rivers so why no send it to our dams. From the to sewerage plants in the pine shire it would be less than 15km to the north pine dam. But what ever we do it is now to late if we don't get rain this summer. Think- Iherd it takes 4 ltrs of water to make 1 ltr of beer .

Jackinthebox
13-09-2006, 06:32 PM
Just saw on ch. 7 news,

Hayden Walker(long range forecaster) reckons the sun is in a very active phase and this summer's gonna be a wet one with torrential rains and big storms.

Place your bets everyone!

Here's hoping, the Falcon hasn't had a wash since March and we've got a full dam here on the coast!

Mick.

sams_fish
13-09-2006, 06:34 PM
my bit,
i live in noosa shire but hafta vote in gympie electorate. get wasted paper from the govt about how they are going to solve my alleged water crisis, i got no reticulated water & the chance of getting it in twice my lifespan is remote, if it doesn't rain , i feel the effects very harshly. i don't hafta worry about emptying a pool as i'll never have enough water to fill one, i gotta very dirty car & can't grow lawn coz i can't afford to waste the water. lake mcdonald, part of noosa shire storage system is 15 mins from my place, so building a dam 20 mins from me is gunna do bugga all.
graeme

finga64
13-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Think- Iherd it takes 4 ltrs of water to make 1 ltr of beer . #
So why is water nearly the same price as beer mmmm beautiful beer.
That is one reason why I refuse to buy bottled water. If I have the spend money on a drink I want my monies worth even if "the extras" are artificial sweetners, flavours and colours.
A few weeks ago I was driving up from Sydney and my brother and I wanted/needed a drink. He wanted water - he got Staminade because 2 bottles of Staminade was the same price as 1 similar sized bottle of water. This really bugs me >:(

blaze
13-09-2006, 07:03 PM
the first thing to do to fix any water crisis is to get the farmers to grow crops suitable for the climatic condition, stop the convntion system of irigating. You only have to look at how screwed up the poor old murrey river is.
cheers
blaze

Poodroo
13-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Hayden Walker must think we all have alzheimers because I recall him saying the same thing for last year which didn't happen. I think if he sticks to his guns and keeps the same predictions going for the next few years then when we get the big storms and torrential rains everyone will say "Gee that Hayden Walker really knows his stuff!" :-/

Poodroo

The_Walrus
13-09-2006, 07:07 PM
I'll beleive it when it happens. ;D ;D

Luc

Great_White
13-09-2006, 07:45 PM
I hope he is right for a change, it would be good to have green grass again. ;D ;D ;D

Peter :)

gunnabuild1
13-09-2006, 07:49 PM
I think we'll all be hoping!

mylestom
13-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Strange didn't the long range weather forecasters Govt type predict another El Nino.

They are as about as much use as a sponge and bucket without the water.

Lived on the land for years and if you planted your crops on what weather forecaster said you would soon go broke.

Should Pay WEATHER FORECASTER and POLITICIANS on a performance basis.

That way they would owe us money. ;D

Trev

gunnabuild1
13-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Great Idea!!!

Wear_the_fox_hat
13-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Dams are proven NOT to be a reliable source of water, no matter how big the dams are. People in the bush have survived for many years now, only with tanks. Industry should only use recycled water & should pay for the set up of this infrastructure. Beattie is going to flood/decimate 1,000 farms/businesses to satisfy the thirst & wastage of people who think water only comes out of a tap. Why not flood the Brisbane valley? Heaps of room & catchment there.

Go figure.

WTFH

4x4frog
13-09-2006, 10:11 PM
When I eventually are well enough to work full time again I want to predist the weather...can't be any worse than the lot there now. ;D Some days I don't even think they have looked outside.
It must be great to have a job where you get paid no matter if you get it right or wrong. I used to have to fix any errors before my work left the lab', these guys just send anything out ::) ;D :o

el_carpo
14-09-2006, 05:26 AM
My favorite is when they predict 50 percent chance of rain. That's like saying, "I have no idea. Flip a coin!" ;D At least say 51 or 49 percent. ;D

woody74
14-09-2006, 05:37 AM
so true el_carpo, so true

outsiderskip
14-09-2006, 06:38 AM
weather forecast
on 1 hand its going to be fine
while on other hand it might rain
they dont have a clue and out peoples lives at risk
safe boating what a joke

pete

mini696
14-09-2006, 08:32 AM
The same forcaster (not sure if it was Hayden) predicted the big wet and active cyclone season a couple of years ago in Gladstone here. We got 300mm in 24hrs because of Cyclone Bennie.

Lets hope he is right again because I would love to see Awoonga overflow and take some of those big mummas with it, so they can breed.

marlinqld
14-09-2006, 05:20 PM
yankee report this morning said another el nino has formed over the pacific ocean....... :(

I think summer will see the usual 4 o'clock specials, storms late afternoon. no flooding rains though.

Mike

Reef_fisher
05-10-2006, 10:10 AM
wonder why you would buy a house with a pool if you were not going to look after it. is the house a rental?

tunaman
05-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Yeah reef-fisher, If I wasnt going to swim in it , I would at least stock it with some nice barra. I wonder if your allowed to do that. :-/.
Even with water restrictions, a lot of people still take water for granted.

signed tunaman

Poodroo
06-10-2006, 02:59 PM
I am not so worried if I run out of drinking water, it is the thought of not being able to flush down a number two that has me sh!t scared. ;D ;D

Poodroo

tunaman
06-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Poodroo. Your not worried about drinking water ;D you must have a swimming pool ;D

signed tunaman ;D