PDA

View Full Version : what fish is this?

justfishnround
02-10-2006, 06:15 PM
hi, was out fishing in botany bay today and caught what i thought was a parrot fish but it seems as though i may have been wrong, can anyone help me with identifying it and whether or not it is a good eating fish..thanks

justfishnround
02-10-2006, 07:10 PM
i found it in a book it is a Crimson-banded Wrasse(parrotfish) now just gotta find out if it is a good feed or not

Poodroo
02-10-2006, 07:19 PM
Yes it looks like a crimson banded wrasse. Apparently not a bad table fish. No different to the parrot fish.

Poodroo

Cruize
02-10-2006, 07:25 PM
eat it and call me from the hospital ;D - not cause of the fish nut bot bay may kill you -Just kidding
looks ok - what do the fillets look like?

finga64
02-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Why kill and clean it if you don't know if you can eat it or not.
Take a picture, release then ask so you know for next time :)
What would you have done if it was poisionous??
Sorry about the lecture but it's better to know what it is before you kill it and try to eat it.
Some fish are protected so it's better to release if your not sure what it is as well.

justfishnround
02-10-2006, 07:49 PM
i was going to release it but it was near dead by the time i de hooked it and 99% would have died so i just kept it, i had a good idea of what it was by looking at the book on the water but the tail colours where different so i just wanted to be sure...dont worry i aint one of these blokes that kills fish for the hell of it.

warrior
02-10-2006, 07:52 PM
caught a lot of these fish down in tassie years ago and they are really nice to eat real white meat and good size fillets,got them to about 15lb .

justfishnround
02-10-2006, 07:55 PM
will look forward to eating it i just ate my very first Eastern Blue groper and that was superb i can know understand why guys target them.

Big_unit
03-10-2006, 12:23 AM
Why kill and clean it if you don't know if you can eat it or not.
Take a picture, release then ask so you know for next time :)
What would you have done if it was poisionous??
Sorry about the lecture but it's better to know what it is before you kill it and try to eat it.
Some fish are protected so it's better to release if your not sure what it is as well.

Thats a fair call. ;) ;) :)

Cheers
James

Dirtysanchez
03-10-2006, 12:06 PM
yes it is a fair call, you are lucky in that it looks like you will be able to enjoy your catch, and good luck to you, but with no disrespect intended you didn't know the species and if it was edible or not, and similarly you didn't know if it was protected or was under sized !

be careful mate, a $1500 fine for taking an undersized or protected fish could buy a lot of fillets at the co-op ;)

JasonT
03-10-2006, 01:53 PM
There have been a few posts like this lately...
In my opinion, one post like this is too many.
Not cool.....
You'd think anyone with enough brains to put bait on a hook would have more than enough commonsense to recognise the lunacy of taking and (maybe) eating an unidentified fish..

Then again.... Maybe not!

FFS! Not only are some species protected, but eating it could KILL you!

IF YOU DON"T KNOW! LET IT GO!

Jason

rtranter
03-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Every body should have the species guide sticker on their boat and as such should at least be able to see if it is protected or not. Wrasse fairly common on Clarence Coast.
Rob

shayned
03-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Have the blue groper numbers come back??? They were fairly thin on the ground a fair few years ago. Be good if they have as they could give your gear a good work out.

justfishnround
03-10-2006, 04:36 PM
NOW LISTEN UP GUYS GEEZ.....after i caught this fish i looked it up in the "Australian Southern Fish Idendity Book" and it matched exactly what i thought it was and it stated "not protected,no legal size req'd" the only difference i had was a different tail colour other than that it was exactly the same, so i put the tail colour down to be a juvinile,it's a little hard to 100% identify a new fish by looking at a piece of paper in a book so i figure if i am 99% sure, then and ask someone else who may know it 100%. now is that understood.

justfishnround
03-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Have the blue groper numbers come back??? They were fairly thin on the ground a fair few years ago. Be good if they have as they could give your gear a good work out.

unsure how many are around i just happened to get one so with a bit of luck there will be a few more ...your right though great work out on the gear.

chrisfish
03-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Hi justfishnround, welcome to the site. I think you'll find Ausfish a useful, friendly and informative site filled with people who respect fishing regulations. I could not tell from your first post if you knew what you'd caught and am not surprised people reacted to something that read like "here's a fish I killed - anyone know what it is?". Reading your later posts about having a fish identity bok with you on the water suggests you'll find us a like minded group.

justfishnround
04-10-2006, 10:15 PM
i am open to other peoples views but i think it has been blown a little out of proportion thats all cause i hate the guys that do just kill a fish without any reason, but anyway moving on from all this great website and i'll see ya's all round...cheers

Bronson
07-10-2006, 11:37 PM
parrot fish

lock
08-10-2006, 02:34 AM
There have been a few posts like this lately...
In my opinion, one post like this is too many.
Not cool.....
You'd think anyone with enough brains to put bait on a hook would have more than enough commonsense to recognise the lunacy of taking and (maybe) eating an unidentified fish..

Then again.... Maybe not!

FFS! Not only are some species protected, but eating it could KILL you!

IF YOU DON"T KNOW! LET IT GO!

Jason

Mate he already said that it was near dead and he was sure it was a parrot fish ,at least it did not go to waste .

fishing_mik
08-10-2006, 06:47 PM
WHEN IN DOUBT THROW IT BACK OUT

mangus15
09-10-2006, 12:12 AM
;DITS A NICE LOKKING FISH SHOULD TAST GREAT IT IS A PARROT FISH FAMILY