PDA

View Full Version : google earth

Seahorse
08-10-2006, 09:50 PM
have been looking at google earth and eventhough it is good, its still bit blurry. i was wondering if anyone has bought the google plus for $20. If so does it show the reefs a bit clearer than the free download version.

cheers
greg

25_ponies
08-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Greg,

All versions of GE use the same database. It's just other features like GPS input and printing that the pay for versions have. I can confirm this as I have the Plus version.

Here is the quote from the web site
"Note: While there are additional capabilities and features available in Google Earth Plus, the underlying imagery is the same for all versions of Google Earth. "

The reason the reefs etc are blurry is that there isn't a high res aerial or satellite photo of them in the database yet. The do update from time to time though - have a look at the Tangalooma wrecks in Moreton bay - they are now high res, and the images changes to low res just north of them, halfway up the airstrip !!

Cheers,

Alan.

hogesTS
08-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Yeah there was a recent update to some of the areas, they updated a few images up here, but most of the hi res pics cover Prince of Wales island, the pics of TI cut the island in half north-south, hopefully they will update more as time goes.

bidkev
09-10-2006, 08:21 AM
How old are the images in the pay version? In the free version my house doesn't show and it's 3 yrs since building commenced :o

kev

The Bible tells us to love our neighbours, and also to love our enemies; probably generally, they are the same people. (G. K. Chesterton)

Dr_Dan
09-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Must depend on location.

Folks built up on the tablelands and shows house and landscaping that has only been done in the last 12-24months

stonecold
09-10-2006, 12:01 PM
G'Day Greg,

I use the $20 pay version of G.E for work. In short no reefs are not clearer the big difference is that I can link my GPS (Garmin 72s) to G.E and download the waypoints.

Cheers Mark

mini696
09-10-2006, 12:22 PM
They updated an area that I look at often, but there is a dirty great big cloud in the way now.

yibbiy
09-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Check this out, you can actually see some one sunbathing from a satelite picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KScuosn2WqY

Jim.

freddyfish
10-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Hey Kev

Near my house it still shows the starlight drive in movie theatre on Albany Ck Rd . Been a few years sine that was there!

Cheers Brad

chrisfish
10-10-2006, 09:32 PM
the pic of my area (lutwyche) is at least a year and a half old as it shows the place next door before the block was subdivided and a second house built on it. It is a cool service though and I've had a good time looking at rivers and creeks around Brisbane, planning my adventures among them :)