I have caught a good size kingfish on a Maido

tunaman
14-09-2006, 02:06 PM
I used a small ocky and caught a 17kg kingfish on it, and also used a
small mud skipper for a 6kg flathead.

signed tunaman

Noelm
14-09-2006, 02:10 PM
although not officially a live bait, I caught a small Red Rock Cod and it was taken by a John Dory on the way up, kept the Dory and ditched the Red Rocky.

tunaman
14-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Now! thats a odd livebait. well done.

signed tunaman

camsharkman
14-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Went on a charter at Lord Howe a few years ago and used goat fish only cause the skipper was too stupid to find decent live bait. Had I not been so bewildered I would have used the skipper for live bait 8-)

tunaman
14-09-2006, 05:10 PM
You should of, shark would of been on the menu ;D ;D ;D

signed tunaman

moondancer
14-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Not an odd livey, but many many years ago on the Murray R., I hooked up to a small Murray cod on a piece of dried apple!

jackash
14-09-2006, 11:34 PM
MAybe not too weird but earlier this year my brother hooked up to a small moses perch on the 4lb soft plastic gear at Noosa, winding it in we watched an absolute horse of an estuary cod (guestimated around 10-12lb) charge out behind it and inhale it off the surface.... yeah he hooked up.... for about 0.1 of a second before it found the bottom.
Cheers
Jackash

tunaman
15-09-2006, 12:04 AM
These out of the blue hook ups, are the ones you never forget.
Spinning for tailor a few years ago on light gear, only choppers,
and with just 10 feet to go with the first, and bang. Something hammered it, didnt get
to see what it was, but I was spooled in a matter of 30 seconds, I tried
to slow it down, but with 8 pound line, had no chance.

signed tunaman :o but very 8-) 8-) 8-)

rossramage
15-09-2006, 05:55 AM
Grinner make good live baits for mackeral and small happy moments are good live baits for yellow tail kingfish.

outsiderskip
15-09-2006, 06:30 AM
caught a 1lb squire
which caught a 60lb jew off moreton

pete

Grand_Marlin
15-09-2006, 06:51 AM
I cant remember who it was exactly, but someone on here caught a black marlin on a snapper while it was being wound up (off mooloolaba)

I have caught a number of squid which grab flathead while being wound up.

I tried a shark as live bait, but nothing would touch it ;D

maybe it isnt smart to try and reverse the food chain !!

Cheers

Pete

Noelm
15-09-2006, 08:57 AM
hey here is something really odd to do with live baits, my mate and I were fishing for bait (yakkas) and he had a one out in case something good came along, (in 20metres of water) and he caught the one he had out on his line, caught right in the mouth, not jagged or anything, I guess it goes to show that fish do not feel a lot of discomfort when hooked (even if it is in the back) as this one was obviously still feeding/hungry.

SECRET_AGENT
15-09-2006, 09:23 AM
I sometimes flout out small redthroat for mackeral when fishing for trout, and hooked and released small black marlin, twice!!!

What a buzz

shayned
15-09-2006, 09:27 AM
Would it be politically incorrect to mention cats at this point? :-/

kitty_cat
15-09-2006, 10:45 AM
ive seen a 6kg snapper caught in the bay on a 3 week old frozen for burley bbq satay prawn
pb for the guy at the time

Slider
15-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Spinning for tailor tunaman and hooked a 3kg fish that leapt out of control for about 10 seconds before being taken by another tailor nearly 3 times his size. That tailor leapt around for 10 minutes with the hooked fish in his mouth before severing the head which is what I ended up with.

Lindsay

ssbayguide
15-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Gold Fish work well on big barra in Townsville's Weirs

tunaman
15-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Slider. I have found over the years, that tailor seem to be rated quite
high on the livebait list. There one of the top five livebaits in my books.
I would say to anyone that livebaits, throw one out, theres a good chance it wont come back.

signed tunaman

FishOn
15-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Got 6-7kg snapper on a livie while trolling for mackerel. It came up from the bottom, 30m down, to get it. We were wide of Bundy and it was the middle of the day.

Kind regards Trevor

tunaman
15-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Goldfish. I never thought of that one. ;D But now thinking about it, I think it would work like a charm, and with all those frilly fins,and golden colour, it would sit like a shot duck. But the petshop guy might get a bit sus.

Cats. mmmmm, no tunaman stayaway. ;D

signed tunaman

Poodroo
15-09-2006, 06:55 PM
I cant remember who it was exactly, but someone on here caught a black marlin on a snapper while it was being wound up (off mooloolaba)

I remember who it was. That was my uncle Frank(FrankOO) when he used to post here on Ausfish. They kept the snapper when the marlin spat it out on the deck before being released. :o

Poodroo

Poodroo
15-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Was a while ago now being a paccie convert but I caught a nice flathead on a bream at Jacobs Well.

Poodroo

choppa
15-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Gold Fish work well on big barra in Townsville's Weirs

please do't tell chopjr this

you'll see why

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1142241252/14#14

hope this works,,,still cracks me up watching him feed it

jackash
15-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Slider, 3 years back saw a guy fishing off the rocks at Waddy, he was bringing in a small chopper when it was nailed by a monster tailor. Ended up landing it aswell. Went 16lb! Not bad
Cheers
Jackash

NEWBY
15-09-2006, 08:00 PM
I used to live in Port Hedland in WA. Went 70ks south one weekend to the Turner river for a swim. Had one of those rambo knives with the crap in the handle and got the hook and line out of it for a laugh. No bait so grabbed a grasshopper and threw it on. Low and bloody behols a mullet around 14"come up and grabbed the damn thing. First time I ever had mullet. Cooked it on the coals.

P.S. Turner river is more like a pond in sand and fresh water. About once ever 6 years the rains come and it floods and hooks up with the ocean.

Poodroo
15-09-2006, 08:04 PM
I used to live in Port Hedland in WA. Went 70ks south one weekend to the Turner river for a swim. Had one of those rambo knives with the crap in the handle and got the hook and line out of it for a laugh. No bait so grabbed a grasshopper and threw it on. Low and bloody behols a mullet around 14"come up and grabbed the damn thing. First time I ever had mullet. Cooked it on the coals.

Lol Newby. Should have reserved the name "RAMBO" on here for you. I can just picture Stallone in the bushes with his trusty blade and catching mullet with grasshoppers. ;D So how did the hot coal mullet taste?

Poodroo

Bazilbrush
16-09-2006, 09:52 AM
When I was a ankle biter,many many many ions ago,I ran outa bait fishing in the Tweed River,so I used 2 red jelly babies threaded up my hook,caught a 1 kg Flattie!!!!!!!!! :)

tunaman
16-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Hay Bazil Brush. Are you sure it wasnt a sweet lip ;D ah, ah, ah bom, bom
But seriously, thats an odd bait, it just goes to show you, that some fish will eat anything.
I was eating a spaghetti sandwhich, and used pieces of it to catch yellowtail. It worked well, better than the bait I was useing.

signed tunaman :)

Reef_fisher
02-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Ran out of bait out on the reef one day, fished around in tackle box found a tin of corn kernals (used to catch murray cod on corn)decided to give it a try caught biggest trout of the day. :-?

Steve_Monckton
03-10-2006, 11:27 AM
Hi all, many years ago there was a fairly severe plague of mice out around my old home town of Inverell on the north west slopes and plains of N.S.W and the mice were thick everywhere including riverbanks. I used to catch the mice in mouse traps, which was fairly terminal for the mice, take them up the Macintyre river and strap them on a single 5/0 hook with a rubber band and flick them into a likely looking spot with a light rod. The Murray cod would have it before it would sink out of sight. Often the cod I kept(let most of them go) would be chocka full of mice. It was probably the caveman version of lure tossing. cheers,steve.

fishing_mik
03-10-2006, 09:40 PM
fishing of windang with a couple of rods catching a lot of undersize flathead so decided to send one back down to my amazement looked over at the rod had a bit of a bend in it so i thought i better wind it in felt like i was draging a boot up got to the surface it was a flathead about 1200 long greedy ol bastard let him sit there for a minute he looked at me let go of the flatty and swam back down to yanda

Timfishin4fun
04-10-2006, 08:42 PM
I was fishing for choppers and got a hit, i was pulling it in and whamo, it took of like a rocket, then out of the water came a 7ft shark. It took me ages on light line but 30 m from the boat and bang it was gone, but i still had weight. Got it in and i had what was left of about a 4 ft shovel nose shark. LOL

manchild
04-10-2006, 09:07 PM
I found that makkas fries make exellent bait for bream in inshore waters.
George

DazSamFishing
04-10-2006, 10:38 PM
[hr]Spinning for tailor tunaman and hooked a 3kg fish that leapt out of control for about 10 seconds before being taken by another tailor nearly 3 times his size. That tailor leapt around for 10 minutes with the hooked fish in his mouth before severing the head which is what I ended up with.

Lindsay [hr]

I have had the same thing happen in the noosa river... Hooked onto a good sized tailor (guestimated 2kg) which was then monstered by a tailor almost 3 times larger... The larger specimen severed half his mate!

Daz

tunaman
05-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Everyones had a cool livebait/ deadbaits. Iam one of these blokes that likes to
try new idears. Like everyone, I tend to take some food with me, and I
have tryed all sorts of human food just to see what happens.
One of the best human food baits, was a hotdog.

I was fishing for bream with mulletgut, and on the way to the spot, I picked up a hotdog from the take a way shop. So befour get my hands covered in mullet gut, thought Id have my hotdog first.
Then I got the idear to try some of the sauage in the bun.
And the hotdog bait sat there for only 3 mins, and wack, I was on with
a honker of a bream, and no little bream, it nearly when a kilo.
So stuff the bite to eat, I got another 7 baits out of that hotdog, and caught another 2 nice bream.
I think the hotdog was cheapper for bait than the packet mullet gut.
I think I might take a kerbab next time and see how that goes.

signed tunaman

Bronson
08-10-2006, 10:28 PM
goldfish

bronson

tunaman
08-10-2006, 10:54 PM
Ive been waiting for that one to turn up. ;D ;D ;D
Please dont use your pet fish.
For the sake of our water ways, goldfish are a very bad idea :'(
But thats very funny young Bronson.

signed tunaman

timbacutta
09-10-2006, 08:14 PM
Have used small Catfish to catch Large Catfish. Got to luv those fish with whiskers. ;) ;)

Jeff.

blue-mako
10-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Counted quite a few illegal baits in this post. :P ::) . Illegal fish, undersize fish...

Troy

tunaman
10-10-2006, 07:01 PM
These livebaits/ deadbaits may have done in the interests of science, and in no way delibrate, or intentional. These specimens may have volunteered in the interests of discovery, and most were accidental or coincidental and none of the above was a deliberate act against the law.

No harm came to any hotdogs, french fries, rock cods, mud skippers,
dried apple, grinners, maidos, cats, satay prawns, snapper, jelly babies,
spaghetti, grasshoppers, catfish, mices, taitor, or corn, and the goldfish
used was rubber. #;D ;D ;D

Each one of these may or may not used baits, have ever been proven
true. ;D ;D ;D

signed tunaman ;D

Duyz72
11-10-2006, 04:18 PM
A little bit of . . . . . . "All characters and stories are fictional, any similarity with actual people, places or events is pure coincidence" never goes astray ;D ;D ;D

Although I do remember, this one time . . . at band camp . . . :P :P

tunaman
11-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Going fishing tonight for bream. So what should I use. ::)
So many choices ;D

signed tunaman ;D