PDA

View Full Version : How did you get the fishing bug?

Poodroo
04-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Hello everyone. Was sitting here thinking back to the good old days when my father was alive and how he used to take the family out on fishing trips. Used to mostly do the fresh water trips out around esk in the days when it was unspoiled and ubundant in water. Fish species targeted back then were Yellow belly, garfish, Bass, and silver perch. I come from a family of four boys and only myself and one other brother got the fishing bug. So why didn't all of us get hooked when all of us were introduced to fishing? All I know is I love it and so does one of my other brothers. So how did it all start with you guys and gals out there? Feel free to share. Regards,

Poodroo

marlinqld
04-10-2006, 06:10 PM
I was born into a fishing fanily. Uncle a pro fisherman, rello's with boats, father who loved fishing.

Was bought up on it round Currarong, Culburra, Greenwell Point Crookhaven River. My first rig was the old handline round the cork

And when I was 7 I won a rod/reel combo on a chocolate wheel thing at a carnival.......... well that was it, I thought i was king the shite hot fisho with my new rod and reel. ::) ;D ;D

Been a mad fisho botie ever since

Mike

DazSamFishing
04-10-2006, 06:30 PM
I grew up in Tuncurry/Forster in NSW... I always think its such a quiet and beautiful part of nsw coastline...

My mother and old mans mates first introduced me to fishing... I was watching them beach fishing catching all kinds of things, and remember seeing a turtle...

I was then given a handreel... and started fishing off the co-op (fish shop) jetty catching luderick and bream... It grew on me and I use to go fishing every afternoon after school, and every weekend. I couldnt get enough of australias coastline... Clean beaches and the smell of salt in the air!

My brother use to be more into fishing than me, and I now show much more interest in fishing/boating and conservative fishing than him... I think his experience on a fishing charter ruined the fun... he got seasick!...

All I dream of now is fishing, boating and going to the beach...

Funnily enough, I have never showed an interest in freshwater fishing! I think its the environmental factors... no salt, not sand and not many species!

There is no place better than Australia!

Daz

Poodroo
04-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Funnily enough, I have never showed an interest in freshwater fishing! I think its the environmental factors... no salt, not sand and not many species!

There is no place better than Australia!

Daz

Considering that I was first introduced to freshwater fishing I can relate to what you are saying. I always do the saltwater thing as well and I agree also on there being no better place than our very own country. We are extremely lucky to have what we have.

Thanks for sharing as well Marlin_Mike. We sure are part of a very addictive hobby that's for sure.

Poodroo

Tropicaltrout
04-10-2006, 07:27 PM
It all started with my first trip to our shack with my dad, it took two years to land my first but I was hooked then, my dad is my hero and the best fisho I have seen in my eyes and i will always try and be like him, and enjoy the places iam fishing and the fish is a rewarding extra.
TT

chrisfish
04-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Weekends at North Stradbroke for me, and fairly regular trips to Pottsville and surrounds. My father is 70 now and we still get out when we can. My boys are 6 and 3 and becoming very interested in it too. My wife is from Bundaberg and her father and I became friends over many a trip to Miara and also the Burrum. Gotta love fishing ;)

Reef_fisher
04-10-2006, 08:18 PM
never did any fishing as a kid, grew up joined the air force, left and then settled in far north qld and went fishing with an older gent that i met. had the bug ever since. sadly my old mate died of the big C and never got to see the boat i purchased to further my hobby. i still think of the old bugger everytime i go fishing.

NeilD
04-10-2006, 08:23 PM
One of the first memories I have is one of catching a small Trout in Scotland. I was four years old at the time and my old crusty old Scottish Grandfather (dedicated fly fisho >:() put a worm on a hook and threw it out for me :o.
I can still recall the fish flipping about on the end of the rod. It seemed small at the time so it was probably the size of a pilly ;D

Neil

hardb8
04-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Hi Poodroo,
# # # # # # # # #In 1979,I was four,And found myself in a mexican stand off with a sizeable Flathead.I wouldn't give line,And she wanted to go.The result was me being pulled flat on my face.LOL. ;D

This incident hooked me for life.I then began my schooling in the art of angling.Hooking and playing fish,Tying knots and learning rigs,Baiting my hooks,Learning about fish and their habbits,Finding and catching bait,And graduating to other species.

My family were boat builders on Breakfast Creek,They also spent alot of time on the water,And knowledge was forever coming freely.My Pop and my Uncle taught me a great deal,And went out of their way to take me.I can't thank them enough for the time they spent,And the knowledge they passed on.I am still learning today,And know I will continue to,Till I pass.

I still have my Pops' tools. 8-)Hand drills,Spoke shaves,Mallets,An old timber spirit level with brass fittings,Tins full of brass nails and screws.I wish my Pop was still here so I could learn the old school ways of boat building.Not to mention wet a line with him. :(

Today,It's braid,High tech baitcasters and Bass.Still learing,And still lovin me fishin.

The Flatty mentioned above....Was landed :)Only after I was retreived from the wash,Handed back the rod,And told ta stop winggin,And start windin.The good ol days ;D.

Scalem
04-10-2006, 09:04 PM
Poodroo

Your non fishing brothers might have a little more disposable income than what I do, being the owner of a boat which always costs money ;) ;) They may be a little smarter than you or I these days, because I am averaging at least two packets of plastics per week + jig heads + fuel and maintenance.. :o :o

But there is no substitute for feeling like Dad is right there with us on those silky smooth days when everything clicks together and we catch fish too, which makes it all worth it! It's almost always a celebration of the good 'ol days when he took us out on the inflatable dingy, and we were too young to even know how to thread on a worm. That's how I got hooked!!

Scalem

Pitsta
04-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Well I'd have to say , When i was in my mothers belly rolling down a steap bank , while she was checking some lines out at st george
maybe !! Or holidaying at hervey bay, NOT SURE BUT EVERY MEMBER OF MY FAMILY ENJOY FISHING !!!

MARK ;)

Great_White
04-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Well, no one in my family really fishes #:( :( :( but as a youngster I got given my fist rod and reel by my father for my birthday( I still have it to this day and am getting it ready to pass on to my daughter) So even though Dad #was busy working his own business 7 days a week, I got to go fishing with friends and it just took from there.

Years later I used my retail selling skills to get Dad to go 1/2 with me in a boat 8-) 8-) 8-). Which was pretty good as he can't swim and didn't really like to fish. But being the Dad that he is he did it anyway. We both went and got our licenses way back then it was the old blue bit of cardboard ;) ;) ;)

Things slowed down a bit as cars and girls became more of a priority as did working 12 plus hour a days in my retail career. Then when wifey came along her parents had a beach house meters from the water in Caloundra. Her Dad a keen fisho as too is Janine, they had a little tinny and we would be out in the passage every moment we got #;D ;D ;D

Got a 4.3 mtr savage runabout about 8 years ago that was my 3 boat and now have the 4.75 stessco. Would fish every day if I could and am blessed with a wife who is keener than I am. Kids have been brought up correctly and are always around the water, boats and fish #:D :D :D

Peter #:)

marlinqld
05-10-2006, 05:19 AM
Hey Pete, have to agree about fishing every chance.......

also helps that we live in God's gift to fishermen..... Redland Shire on the door step of Moreton Bay

Big_unit
05-10-2006, 05:34 AM
Its in me blood, I reckon. ;D ;D ;D

Ive been fishin since I can remember at places like Old Bar, Manning River Taree, Nelsons Bay, Karuah, Stockton Beach, Crowdy Head, Lake St.Clair, Glenbawn Dam, Chain Valley Bay, Hunter River and thats the ones I can remember. :) :) :)

My Grandparents were fisher's and my family has a number of fishos and sailors all over the family tree. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Im doing my very best to make certain my two babies grow up with the correct techniques for casting, knot tying and so forth. ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D

Cheers
James

HiRAEdd
05-10-2006, 08:37 AM
When I was about 4, my Dad took me fishing at Deep Water Bend. I caught a 20cm Bream on my little plastic fishing rod. I remember hearing discussions around legal size limits but Dad let me keep it on the grounds it was my first fish. We bought it home, cooked it up and I've been a fisherman ever since. Thankfully, that was probaby the first and last undersize fish I ever kept.

Great_White
05-10-2006, 08:46 AM
I hear you Mike, I wouldn't live anywhere else ;) ;) ;)

Still haven't had the pleasure of meeting you, will have to catch up soon ;)

Peter :)

jimlawler1980
05-10-2006, 10:18 AM
As a young boy I loved fishing, but then there came a point in my early teenage years that I really hated fishing, the smell of the bait, the slimy feel of the fish, the cold winter mornings and long nights spent walking up and down the beaches following my father as he looked for that perfect gutter.

That all changed a few months ago...

It all started on a crisp clear May afternoon at Fraser Island. My father-in-law was busily rigging his line in preparation for an evening chasing Tailor. I was setup with a borrowed rod, and my fathers old 6.5inch cedar alvey reel. I turned my attention to the pilchard in my right hand and began to place it on the ganged hooks. The technique learnt from my father and grandfather years ago as a young boy quickly returned and soon I was baited up and ready to go.

Memories flooded back to me of hours spent standing in front of the surf waiting for the tug on the line that meant the fight was about to begin. Memories of my grandfather presenting me with my first rod and walking down from his house at Vicotria Point to the gentle waters of Moretan Bay as he patiently tried to teach me the art that he had spent so long mastering.

Time passed and the sun slowly dipped behind the sand dunes. Surely I though to myself there has to be something out there. Not long after I felt a gentle tap. All my attention focused on the line under my fingers and the tip of my rod which could barely be seen in the fast fading light. There it was again stronger this time, more insistent. Then, Bang! It was on! I leant back as the rod bent in my hands and the full weight of the fish was felt pulling away taking line fast.

Now five months later and looking back at that night and the ensuing few evenings of beautiful sunsets spent wetting a line with considerable success I realised that a few Tailor were not the only things that had been hooked. My attention had well and truly been re-captured by the noble art of fishing. I was once more a person who loved fishing after so many years of dis-interest and at times even sheer dislike. Now I sit at my desk at work and wait anxiously for the weekend - 'I'd rather be fishing!'

JasonT
05-10-2006, 10:35 AM
I grew up around a grandfather and a father who were keen fisherman.

My GF, Dad and I are of similar build and height (in that we're all about 5'5 and stocky build!)
My uncle, brother and sister are from a different mould being tall and rake-like! At best they fish rarely... Whereas my GF, dad and I can't seem to get enough!

I wonder if there is a "fishing gene" passed onto offspring!
If so.. I'm glad I got it!

Jason

bidkev
05-10-2006, 12:21 PM
It's nice to hear how many of you were influenced by family in regards to fishing. :D

My apologies as this is a bit long.

I was placed in care from the age of 4 and I used to abscond and would be found later by the police either on the Golden Mile at Blackpool or beachcombing.

It was on one of these "trips" in the midst of winter when the "Mile" was closed that I was walking along the water's edge at low tide when I saw a huge fish flapping in the water. It was bitterly cold and the tide was out a good half mile from the shore but I waded in anyway.......I must've been aged around 7 or 8.

I tried to pick the fish up but it seemd too heavy and then I realised that it was attached to some "string". I'd never been involved in fishing before and was puzzled by how it got there. As I tried to lift it further and drag it to the beach I noticed a whole string of fish flapping for what seemed forever.

I'd discovered a "night line". These are set at low water and the owners wait till the tide covers them, before leaving them and they then return before the tide uncovers them in order to be there before little buggers like me got the chance to nick the fish.

Anyway, this bloke rocks up and starts shouting at me to leave it alone........I thought that I was going to get a good hiding........instead, he tells me all about how it is done and what the fish are (Atlantic cod, whiting, dabs, flounder). The line was huge with hundreds of hooks and there must've been well over fifty fish and I was particularly struck by the size of the cod, some of which were as big as me. I remember him telling me that it wasn't such a good catch that day and he was going to move the line further along the beach. He asked me to help him drag it after he had removed the fish and dug up the ends which were simply tied to wooden boards and held in place by the suction of the sand.

Once we'd moved it he asked if I would like to see how he got the bait for it and he commenced looking for worm casts. He was talking to me all the time he was digging worms and every so often he'd stop for a smoke and place his hands under his armpits to get them warm again. he told me his name was Bert and I was in awe of his achievement in pulling worms from 2 ft down in near freezing temperatures. I asked him about his special spade which had no bend in the shaft and was straight and narrow like a trenching spade (I recognise in reptrospect) I had never seen a spade like it.

Anyway, I soaked it all up and asked him if he always came here and he said "only on big tides" and then explained what that meant. The line would not be uncovered on lower tides so he would leave it there and know it was safe.......he would bait it about 6 days out of fourteen.

I kept absconding and meeting him there over a fairly long time and it took me ages to suss out just when he would be there. He taught me how to dig the famous "Blackpool Bootlaces," tie a hook, set the line etc and then one day, I never saw him again. I kept going back expecting him to return, but he never did and I knew he was out of my life as his line was missing. I was hooked though and tried to obtain all the knowledge on fishing that I could and when I finally came out of care at age 11 I had the freedom to do as I pleased. I had been nicking tackle and hiding it in a derelict factory and in the cellar of the house.......I was never asked where it came from when I produced a new rod.

My parents were still not fit to care for me and I was left to go feral which I did. I nicked every bit of tackle I could lay my hands on. I would set a night line then go fishing on the pier until the tide went out and I could go retrieve the line and dig some bait. I could be out for days at a time and occasionally my father would come to check that's where I was, (pissed as usual) but apart from that, I was left unhindered to do as I please. I would sell bait and fish to buy food in the pier cafeteria.

Fishing introduced me to kindly folk who would share their experiences and knowledge, sandwiches, and occasionally a tot of rum. The folk on that pier became my family. I was more comfortable with the adults than the other kids, and in some ways I think that they adopted me. I'm sure that without them and fishing, I would've ended up banged up at her Majesty's Pleasure, or worse.

I joined the Forces at 15 and haven't nicked a thing since. It would be another ten years before I would wet a line again as when I came home on leave, all my gear had been hocked.

The only regret I have in regard to fishing is the sorrow that I must have caused those poor folk who had their gear nicked by me. Money was hard to come by in those days and I must've caused some fair heartache to some :-[ :-[

kev
Temptation resisted is the true measure of character. (Louis Dega)

tunaman
05-10-2006, 12:39 PM
When I was 7 my old girl took me and some rellows, down to the parramatta river with some prawns, and the oldgirl ( mum ) is a bloody good fisherlady I,ll tell ya, and she pulled in a nice flathead, which I thought was the biggest thing I had ever seen, and ever since that day,
I,ve been hooked for life.
I just thought it was fasinating that these things come out of the water,
and loved the sport ever since.

signed tunaman :D

4x4frog
05-10-2006, 01:41 PM
I can't remember too much about fishing with my dad when he was alive but I inhereted the bug from either him or my granddad(mums' side) as they lived at Lake Cootharaba and we spent almost every holiday there. I have fished every inch of the Lake Cootharaba and the creeks that lead into it and the Noosa at the top with him when he was alive too. Our neighbours across the road had #aboat too so I was out with them regularly and off to DI point at every opportunity.
I have passed the bug to one of our 3, my daughter, much to her mum's dismay too. ;D
I still have all but one rod and one reel from dad's collection too. The 13'6'' rangoon cane rod just sits on the wall here these days though...they must have been supermen back then, it's like holding up the mainsail on an Americas Cup yacht :o

aussie_true_blue
05-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Iwas born into a fishing family my grandfather was president of the local Fishing Club in Sandgate and I remember back in the early 50's he had an old army truck with lot of bunks which they used to go fishing. In the mid 50's my parents went to the Shorncliffe Pier to catch Bream, Sharks, Crabs and prawns.

The kids in our family would go to the pier after school, do our home work, fish then sleep on the pier and go from there to school the next day.

I still fish the local area these days ( dont catch to much locally) but I fish for the fun and relaxation.

whenI want to fish a bit more seriously I go offshore.

Bob

onerabbit
05-10-2006, 03:53 PM
I grew up on the Central Coast ( Point Frederick , Gosford ) with the water at our back boundary, my first fishing memory is fishing in a bucket ( caught nothing) 'cos my mum wouldn't let me go to the back wall & fish in case I fell in.
I was blessed with a dad that was a fisho, & a grandfather that was obscessed.

Fishing was all I had in those days!!!!!

I really think that fishing gave me a good perspective on life as I grew up & how things worked.

14 years in Glen Innes where the fish are a bit thin( except for Catfish & eels) didn't stifle my enthusiasm.

Now that I have been back on the coast for 12 years I'm back in full swing & have fully embraced the ocean as my new frontier.

There's nothing like being away from everyone, with no-one but your fishing mate.
Doesn't really matter wheather you catch a heap of fish or not,

It's just great to be out there doing it.

Muzz

shayned
05-10-2006, 04:37 PM
The extended family had fishtrap licences and one of my earliest memories is trying to drag Mackeral bigger than me back up the beach and fighting a losing battle. Also recall one of the cousins telling me to grab a fish from the low point of the trap and take it to my uncle, I think it must have been a bloody big cod and it was well and truly alive sitting in a little patch of water. I remember trying to grab this lump bigger than me only to have it move pretty vigerously and scare the living daylights out of me, seem to recall everyone thought it fairly funny, pretty sure I cracked the sh*ts at this point and had a good sulk. Couldn't have been anymore than three years old at the time.

I used to occasionally get a fish with the old boy, a man of few words and these were the times we could have a talk without the old boy clamming up tighter than a frogs bum and I enjoyed the times a fair bit.

Then, of course all my friends used to fish as I grew up and riding the pushy 20k's to get to a good spot was not a bother. Lost my way for a while and it's only the last couple of years that I've started to get back into it and I'm enjoying it more than ever. Now that I have a son of my own I'm looking foward to fishing trips together, I just can't wait to see my little blokes face when he gets on to his first fish. 8-)

kingcobe
05-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Hi guys,

My dad was into fishing and as I got older I watched him fish and learned about it a little bit and then got into it when I was 4 or 5 years old.

Jay Jay

Poodroo
05-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Hello again everyone, thanks to all for sharing their stories of how they got the fishing bug. I am glad I started this thread because it confirms to me several things about the people I share this great website with. Most of us have a geuine love for the hobby and I feel a sense of belonging to a bunch of great people. :)

Poodroo

Black_Rat
05-10-2006, 07:48 PM
A bug #::) it's now a full blown flu ! #;D & I don't think I can shake it #;D
I guess my first memories are of fishing and crabbing were near the airport (many years ago) was with the old man and his mate.
There was this hidden key under a rock (of all things #::)) were we could get in. Once there the old fellas would set the pots out of a dingy and leave the young tacker (me) to fish of the bank. I would be fishing there with my little rod, SFA light and with no idea what was going on ;) With the bites and tap, tap bang i'm on I was hooked #:)
Nowadays it's the still the anticipatient in waiting for that ' tap....tap...here we go'

Have never shaken the bug, it just cost me more these days ! #;D

Damo
#

Herm
05-10-2006, 09:42 PM
My Grandfather and Great Uncle bought a house at Caloundra about 50 years ago - long before I came along and I was 3 weeks old when I was tken on my 1st fishing holiday! So there was really no hope for me! ;)

My Great Uncle used to bind for Angler Rods and for my 4th Christmas I was given my first custom made rod, a whippy extra, with, of course and Alvey! :) perfect for whiting fishing! I was very excited! I used that same rod until about 10 years ago and it still works for anyone visiting who is needing a rod.

I, too, went off the fishing for those "teenage years" but now with Peter who is a keen fisherman I am getting to fish more than ever! and I am very pleased that my little girls are very interested too and it is something that I will be encouraging them in!

:)Janine

lock
06-10-2006, 02:53 AM
Alot like everyone else family all loved it and so the trend carries on. ;D ;D

el_carpo
06-10-2006, 08:32 AM
Good thread! Interesting reading.

I'm another one in the "my family fished and so I do too" category. Most of our family get-togethers took place at a lake where we would fish and have a picnic. I miss the good old days. Now, half the family is gone [smiley=engel017.gif] and the other half doesn't want to get together. :P Ah well, more fish for my brothers and me! ;D

Poodroo
07-10-2006, 08:41 AM
Hey thanks to all for sharing your fishing history in here. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts. Fishing is very addictive and contageous I think and is a bug that stays with you for life once you have caught it. :)

Poodroo

4x4frog
07-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Hey thanks to all for sharing your fishing history in here. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts. Fishing is very addictive and contageous I think and is a bug that stays with you for life once you have caught it. #:)

Poodroo
Totally agree Poodroo. I have had a couple of times in my liofe where I have been to ill to venture outside at all and you do miss your fishing. Usually one of the first things I did was wet a line.

onerabbit
07-10-2006, 05:53 PM
If we must be addicted to something , what better than fishing.

Muzz

mangus15
09-10-2006, 12:20 AM
:D ;D ;) :)I GOT THE BUG WHEN I WAS A KID AS WELL FISHING IN FRESH WATER CATCHING MULLET CARP AND EELS IT WAS GREAT FUN SO IT STARTED THERE THEN WENT TWO LAND BASE SALT AND THEN LAND BASE SALT WATER GAME FISHING THE WHOLE FAMILY GOT HOOKED SO ITS IN THE BLOOD SO TWO SPEEK THEN I GOT MY FIRST BOAT AND KNOW I CANT GET ENOUGH

wanttofish
09-10-2006, 07:59 AM
i didn't come from a fishing family but i have the bug.
when the kids were very small we would go to paradise
point when there was nothing there, and we would fish for whiting
then the other half took up golf so i took the kids fishing
as the son got older we would hire a boat at jacob's wells
thats changed too, and he would drive the boat everywhere
so when he turned 16 we bought him a boat he needed me for the car to take the boat fishing so i still got to go fishing. back in those days didn't realise we needed a boat license because i had a car license. he finally got a boat license when we got pulled up after we got out of the water for a license check he was probably 18 by then.
then he got a bigger boat so he could take us all out.
but now years later it a bigger boat again the bait has trned to sp and lures by the
hundreds and keeping fish to eat went to catch and release he rarely keeps a fish
he just loves going fishing .
occasinally he still takes me fishing because i enjoy it as well and i still don't have
a boat license so i can't go by myself.
it is just a great pastime when not working

8-) 8-) 8-)
dianne

fishingjew
10-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Fishing is in my blood great grand father being geoge crouch and his brother being pros in the early days. It has been past down the line everone in the family is a keen fisherman or woman.

Hell even my mother can still keep up to me catching beach worms best time of my life was going over to the big old queenslander he built at amity on the beach can remember the can rods hanging in the hallway ready to go soon as we got there no electricity only kero lights old wood stove are! the smell of burning cypress going through the house. feeding the brumbies at the back stairs .

Big veranda at front looking out to moreton island house is still in the family to this day. Heres a pick of a cart that us kids got towed around the beach in. And to think there is not much beach there now.

Poodroo
11-10-2006, 06:00 PM
Fishingjew, that is a lot of memories to have there mate and you have classic photos as well. :) Glad that you and everyone have shared a little bit about your fishing history.

Poodroo

Seamus
11-10-2006, 06:11 PM
My old man used to take me bream fishing at his spot X in the Burnett River in Bundaberg, and whiting fishing at Burrum Heads, but I hadn't really picked up a rod again until about 8 years ago. Now, not so much into estuary fishing, but love beach fishing and do the occasional offshore charter with the boys when we can. Then there's conquering the all mighty beach worm.

No better way than finding an empty stretch of sand and watching the world and forgetting the stresses. Love it. Failing that, living vicariously through others like yourselves.

fishingjew
12-10-2006, 01:26 AM
Throw a few more old photos this one of wynnum the fishing boats

fishingjew
12-10-2006, 01:28 AM
The OLD4x4 ::) on the beach at amity

Kendall249
12-10-2006, 02:13 AM
Half the family grew up on trursday Is (two pro fishermen), it was an uncle from the other side that introduced me to fishing, mackeral fishing. But it was the other (TI inhabitants) side that gave me my first cast net at age 5 and it has not stopped from there.