PDA

View Full Version : How many rods do you fish with at the same time?

finga64
09-10-2006, 08:16 AM
When I take people fishing they usually have and fish with more then one rod at the same time.
Personally I only ever use one rod at a time as I fish to relax and found trying to keep upto more then one rod is just plainly too much hard yakka. 8-)
As an end result I usually end up boating more fish (bragger I am :)). I put it down to giving full attention to the one line in the water and not spreading myself over a few lines and not feeling everything that's happening.
What's other thoughts??
Cheers Scott :)

stevedemon
09-10-2006, 08:29 AM
hi finga
mate if i am by myself normally 2 - 3 rods rig differently and depends on the time of year

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

choppa
09-10-2006, 08:39 AM
its not a case of how many rods scott,,,

when i've got chopjr,,,

its a case of how much line ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

sharky789
09-10-2006, 09:10 AM
six if i can

DR
09-10-2006, 09:56 AM
usually one, but if drifting & casting plastics for lizards or squire i will drop a floating plastic in a carolina rig out the back & just leave it..

tunaman
09-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Sometimes 1 sometimes 2 sometimes 3 all depends on what sort of fishing Iam doing.

When spinning 1 rod
When bottem bashing 2 rods
When trolling three rods

signed tunaman

Blackened
09-10-2006, 10:13 AM
G'day
Usually 2 for me. One for working the plastics and then one for floating on the baitrunner for the pelagics.

You've gotta cover both areas ;)

Dave

banshee
09-10-2006, 10:30 AM
In shallow water four,three baitruners set in a threeway holder out the back and one bottom bouncer that I hold,in deepwater I just run the winch or jig alternativly.

JasonT
09-10-2006, 11:20 AM
2-3 for me...... usually a live bait, deadbait and one for casting placcys....
Although after the weekend, maybe just the placcy's from now on!

Jason

marlinqld
09-10-2006, 12:03 PM
up to 4 riged differently for me. Depending on where and what type i am fishing

Mike

mini696
09-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Depends on where I am and how much I am catching.

Usually on a crowded boat I will only have one, maybe two (one floating livie).

Off the bank (again depending on room) I will have a rod out with a livie, maybe a heavy handline (large livie). I usually have one with a strip bait or prawn on.

In the esturary I will also have a rod ready for lures too.

So usually 2 to three lines in the water at a time.

bidkev
09-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Surprised by the answers 4 :o

There's a max of 3 rod limit in Qld or are you in another state with different regs?

I always fish the 3 when at anchor as I like to use different baits and methods. One float fished at 8 to 12 ft if offshore or in the bay or just off the bottom in estuary..........one for whatever I'm targetting and a big gun live baited with minimum weight. If I'm drifting, just two.......one with herring or pilly and one with placcy.

When all the kids and deckie are on board, there can be as many as 8 rods on the go.

kev

The business of preaching is to comfort the disturbed and to disturb the comfortable.

snapperm8
09-10-2006, 12:39 PM
i usually fish with 1 rod and a hand line, it al depends on wat ur doing, whiting fishing defently hand line

banshee
09-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Acting within the law to use four lines in NSW.

esselte
09-10-2006, 04:27 PM
I'm with tunaman.

hussy
09-10-2006, 04:31 PM
six if i can
you,d have to be a bloody octapus to handle all them sharkey,like to see them all go off at the same time, hubby

tunaman
09-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Sometimes when Iam fishing with two or more rods, and both go off at
the same time, I just pick the one thats screaming the loadest, and if the other one is still on, that one is nexted.
Sometimes all three have gone off at once, that can be a nightmare, but I still go for the one thats going the hardest.

signed tunaman :)

marlinqld
09-10-2006, 05:00 PM
I had 3 go off on me one day.... damn that was fun ;D ;D ;) :D ;D

Especially when bottom bashing

Cruize
09-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Mainly 4 for me too!

If I'm sharking
1 deep on the bottom with heavy line and wire
1 midway again heavy and wire
1 no weight and livey
1 SP or HB on a rotating basis

and I carry a spare or two already rigged in case of bust off 1 heavy and 1 light.

Can get busy and often I have to reduce the lines as the catch starts happening.

Poodroo
09-10-2006, 05:23 PM
I was religiously a one rod per session fisherman however in recent times I discovered that there is an advantage to using 2 rods when fishing. Being a placcie convert there is undoubtedly a huge selection of placcies out there which always brings the question "Which placcie will I use?" I have narrowed my favourites down to a few but I find that different days yield different results ie: watermelon colours might do well one day and the next time I go out the electric chicken may be the best. So I guess what I am saying is that by having two rods simply means that I can experiment with the placcies and colours a little more. But alas there are those days where the vermin are in full strength and whatever SP you throw out there gets the grinner or whiptail treatment and the back of the boat quickly fills up with tailess plastics. :-? :-/ ;D

Poodroo

DazSamFishing
09-10-2006, 05:52 PM
Depends on what type of fishing you are talking about...

I would find it hard to believe that people could use multiple rods for plastics fishing...

If I am out at sea I will use 2 rods... One float line... and the other bottom bouncing...

Daz

StevenM
09-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Usually start with one then send out another to make it two and start missing bites so back to one.

Bloody tricky fish

Feral
09-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Plastics - 1 rod
Live bait - 2 hands - 2 rods

disorderly
09-10-2006, 06:33 PM
# #When fishing the reef , generally have 3 rods and a handline(for bottom fishing) #,regardless of whether iI am alone or with company.I set a livey on a float and maybe one unweighted or perhaps if the current is running strongly weigh him down a bit, and also chuck a floated pilly out,basically try to get baits to a range of different depthsTakes a little while to set up and can be a pain in the ass when moving around a bit,but man it is fun when two or more go off at once,when I'm fishing alone!!Just have to have some patience when untangling the lines as sometimes happens when the spaniards do their 360 manouvers.

Dory4.1
09-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Normally two, one with a bait, one with plastics to keep me entertained between catching fish on the baited rod (or not) :).

Rgs
Michael

Bronson
09-10-2006, 07:06 PM
I usualy use about 2-3 rods at a time

bronson

nobes01
09-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Only allowed 2 rods at a time here in S.Aust :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Shooter
09-10-2006, 08:07 PM
If I’m by myself I use 2. One for bait fishing and the other for flicking lures or plastics. But if someone else is in the boat I use one.

Stumpy-USA2
10-10-2006, 04:44 AM
Just one for me. Wether I'm casting cranks, soft plastics, top water, jigs,, or spinnerbaits I only use one. With the type of fishing I do its impossible to use more than one but I will take as many as 20 rod and reel setups with me on any given day. I always have one of each rig I want to use tied on so that I don't have to cut off and retie at all during the day. I can just reach in the rod box, grab one, and go.

Casey

Great_White
10-10-2006, 09:42 AM
2 with bait but only 1 when using SP's

Peter :)

4x4frog
10-10-2006, 11:20 AM
All interesting reading.
3 rods would be my max as I only have 2 arms too and it gets difficult if they go off all at once.
I have fished 4 handlines in a boat solo a few times when whiting fishing up the coast and it's lots of work.
I read the laws just the other day in a 2004 copy of Mod' Fish'n. The law stated 3 rods per person in tidal waters. There was no mention of being outside, what's the go out there? Might have to have a look just to know.
Chris

SCOTTYGC
10-10-2006, 01:54 PM
when chasing flattys with sp
i allways have one in the holder with a big sp on it

the other is for casting

Krazi-kev
10-10-2006, 02:26 PM
2 with live mullet

2 with sabiki jigs 1/0 hooks on 1 and 3/0 hooks on the other

Can be busy at times but when the action is slow i wish I had another to toss lures close to rocks

That is with 2 of us fishing

Adamy
10-10-2006, 11:41 PM
Always use at least two (from a boat) - the only exception is when the bite is extremley hot - as in a fish a cast. Otherwise even using a placcie - one is out the back while I'm working another. if bait fishing - livie out the back big dead bait in close - and the one in my hand - thats three.

AND I'll confess to not knowing the rules about only using 3 rods... had no clue ::) ::) Not that it applies to me that much - cant really use more than 3 at the same time anyway. BUT I do carry at least 6 and up to 12 rods on the boat at any one time - and if my boat could comfortably carry more.... I would ;)

Adam

major-defect
11-10-2006, 05:41 AM
2 when I can.Alot of yellow zones around here.

rough_shag
11-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Mate this is a real issue of contention for me as my pet hate is having a massive tangle of rods every where you turn on the boat.I reckon you should take a specific rod for each type of fishing you intend doing and keep the unused ones stowed away.
I have a mate I take out and he always turns up at the ramp with 7-8 rods of all descriptions and a good sized tackle box plus a large storage bag full of god knows what and most trips he'll only actually use 2-3 rods.We both had a couple of light reef setups and sure as your born it turns out to be perfect conditions for mackeral fishing with bait balls everywhere and us without a decent casting rod or slug in sight!.O'toole and Murphy have a lot to answer for.Jace.

xe
11-10-2006, 12:34 PM
5 lure spread. if solo and not trolling one, cause it pretty hard to flick lures with 2 rods. ;D

Joe_N
11-10-2006, 01:15 PM
I generally use three.Two floaters and one for bottom bashing.

Joe N

favourite_whiting
11-10-2006, 01:16 PM
I usually use two rods when theres successful fishes around there at any island on stand. When on boat I use one rod.
Happy life of fishing,
favourite_whitings ;)

sooty66
11-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Coming from Green Zone Country, unfortunately its dictated by where we are fishing, therefore I carry 4 Baitcasters, 2 Heavy Boat Roller Tip Rods and 2 Spin Rods. Never know where we'll end up and whats chewing (boy scout in another life)("Be Prepared").

MattiB
11-10-2006, 05:37 PM
normally 2. One with bait and one to practise with plastics.

Croweater
12-10-2006, 01:33 PM
One on the bottom, one with a floating Mulie and one not in the water all ready for a lure or SP to go on as I see fit.

Geoff_Atkinson
12-10-2006, 05:30 PM
Same as Eagle Eye except I use a pilly, not a mulie

Cruize
12-10-2006, 07:31 PM
No matter how many we use it does less damage the those bloody nets being dragged over the bays, rivers and oceans

Reef_fisher
12-10-2006, 08:51 PM
i always take 8 rods and 2 handlines. i will have floater out back of boat, this is a beach rod and i put it out a fair way, this stops it from being an issue with the two bottom bouncer rigs at either corner at rear, then i flick lures (plastics) during the quiet times. what about the other rods, all backups as I hate having to rerig when the gods are smiling. handlines are for the deckie ;D ;D ;D ;D

Fisher4life
13-10-2006, 03:31 AM
I know i wasn't aware of this until recently, but the fisheries guidlines say that an angler must have no more then 3 hooks in the water at any one time...

Thought some people might be interested

Hornblower
13-10-2006, 07:31 AM
I use two rods for estuary, each with a different bait. When I throw a plastic, only use the one.

Cheers,

Horny ;) ;) ;) ;)