PDA

View Full Version : Solo Fishing?

Sneazer
13-10-2006, 03:29 PM
Hi guys,

All my fishing is landbased, and i do alot of reading on the interent, especially on this site, to see what is happening around the area so i can way up the best options on where to fish. However, when i talk to my mates, all that is out the window and we always end up going to the same old spots where we don't do very well.

I've fished by myself a few times but not as many times as i have fished with mates, and have had more success and enjoyed it because i can experiment, move around and not have to worry about other people. Then again i've fished with my mates when the fish are bitting and its much better then fishing by yourself because you can share the moment.

I just wanted to know what you guys prefer. Goin solo or team fishin.

Cheers

J

mini696
13-10-2006, 03:38 PM
I totally agree with you. Sometimes I just like to go out and try a few spots that I have always wondered about.

My mate I go fishing with is just like me though, so if on of us says "hey lets try here" we will give it a go.

He's patient too, so we can go to the spot (old or new) throw out a livie and wait for 6 hours for that one big bite.

SURF_SNIPER
13-10-2006, 03:40 PM
with out doubt solo.

charleville
13-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Absolutely prefer solo, at night, and away from crowds. Stealth fishing suits me perfectly.

Funny thing is that I am an extreme extravert in every other part of my life.

tunaman
13-10-2006, 05:10 PM
In my younger days, fishing alone would have been boring, but as I get older I like the peace and Quiet. But not allways.

signed tunaman

Poodroo
13-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Well I am a little more social I guess and love fishing with company but I can attribute that to having fished most of my life with my brother who I have always thought of as a mentor in lots of ways. It goes both ways I guess because we know each other's routines so well that everything is second nature in the way we work together when getting the boat in and out of the water and even the catching of fish. I helped him land his PB snapper(85cm mark) and he returned the favour on a different day helping me land my PB(a 65cm model). The best thing is that we both shared those moments and I personally can't think of anything better than doing something you love with someone who loves it as much. A lot can be said for mateship out on the water. ;)
Poodroo

stevedemon
13-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Hi sneazer mate i do a lot of solo fishing for the peace and quiet and also to try new spots i occassionaly take a mate or 2 out or the wife and family but still preferr solo

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Duyz72
13-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Usually ends up solo becuase most of my mates can't hack the hours and hours and hours of nothing that can be involved sometimes.

That and the situations you put your body in to, like climbing through mangrove swamps, over oyster covered rocks, inhaling swarms of midgees etc lol

JasonT
13-10-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm mostly solo too!
I do prefer it that way as a rule, but company at times is good!
The trouble is most of the people I've taken fishing don't have the patience! We end up doing more boating than fishing! (and usually the catch reflects it!)
I have one mate who views fishing in a similar way to me, and I'd fish with him over solo anyday, but unfortunately we no longer live in the same town!

JT

Dory4.1
13-10-2006, 05:57 PM
I prefer company

Rgs
Michael

finga64
13-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Solo because I have no mates. :'(

I fish mainly week days so everyones at work....suckers ;D

I love to explore by myself which also has the benefit of no body to put crap on me when I do something really stupid.

But on week-ends IF we go and face the crowds I enjoy taking the cook, or my brother or anybody else who will run the gauntlet and come out in "Junior". :)

Sneazer
13-10-2006, 06:58 PM
yeah, i like the idea of sharing the experience with someone. I'll give some more solo trips ago, when i find some spots i'll get my mates.. Hopefully i'll have some success.

If you see some poor guy by him self in the middle of the night with a fishing rod walking the streets, its probably me or another one of you mad Ausfish fisho's.

rowdycowdy
13-10-2006, 06:59 PM
it depends on your passion I have mates who like to fish but only when it is conveinient. I have given up on regular trips with the mates and also appreciate solo fishing, catch up on mags and soak up the enviroment...............

rowdy

Blackened
13-10-2006, 07:06 PM
G'day
All depends ont he mood mate, whe water for me is my escape so can spend many hours or days out there alone in total peace.

Other times you would want to share the beauty out there with another person or 2.

Dave

Pistol_P
13-10-2006, 07:19 PM
solo

Loco_Pez
13-10-2006, 08:20 PM
WOW, blown away by the number of guys that like to fish solo ! I thought it was just me ??? Solo means you don't have to worry about what anyone else wants to do, is thinking, etc. Company's good but some days you just want to do your thing.

Shitty_Master
14-10-2006, 12:13 AM
I am still young, or so they tell me and I do a bit of both. Both have there ups and downs.

Ups:
Solo you get to do what ever the hell you want, move where you feel like, practice new styles, you are under no pressure to catch anything

Mates: You can talk shit all day, More lines in the water so in theory more fish may come around, you don't have to pay for all your bait yourself

Downs:
Solo it can get a bit boring if the fish aren't biting and you have no one to talk to, buying a cheap MP3 player fixes this though

Mates; You don't have as much freedom to do what you want to do.

DazSamFishing
14-10-2006, 12:52 AM
G Day

I prefer company...

Especially offshore or at night...

Daz

lock
14-10-2006, 02:41 AM
Since I have started fly fishing I love fishing solo but when the fish are not on the bite it is good to have some one to winge with ;D

aussiefool
14-10-2006, 04:20 AM
I really don't care one way or the other. If Ihave someone to go with great if not I'm still going fishing :). The only thing that ticks me off is when someone pesters you to yake them fishing with you and arrange a time (always very early) you show up to pick them up and they are still in bed or just out of bed and pi$$ fart around for 1/2 an hour. Those people only get an invite the once

Gilbert-McDowell
14-10-2006, 05:37 AM
Solo is best BUT out in the boat I need to have a helping hand or two.

Gilly

Poodroo
14-10-2006, 08:49 AM
I really don't care one way or the other. If Ihave someone to go with great if not I'm still going fishing :). The only thing that ticks me off is when someone pesters you to yake them fishing with you and arrange a time (always very early) you show up to pick them up and they are still in bed or just out of bed and pi$$ fart around for 1/2 an hour. Those people only get an invite the once

You pick them up? Gees I must be a one in a million deckie. Have never expected to be picked up. If I am invited to go out (not as often as I would like) I make sure I am the one that is up early and drive to meet up with the skipper. ;)

Poodroo

imnotoriginal
14-10-2006, 10:14 AM
I like having a bit of company, and you can try two different forms of fishing or two different baits or lures and whatever, so I think you're covering more ground that way. Still, it's not as productive when you're not fishing with someone who knows what they're doing. Still, company's good, and it's nice to have a witness when you hook a big one ;)
Joel

Reef_fisher
14-10-2006, 10:41 AM
if i am fishing close in or in the river then solo is the go, plenty of people around if you get into trouble. i have gone to the reef once on my own (weekday and no one to go with) and felt a little bit nervous about getting stuck, no one out there that day except me and 30klms off shore.

daz35
14-10-2006, 01:57 PM
I prefer the peace of a solo trip to get away from the ratrace for a while

wazza66
14-10-2006, 02:22 PM
I thnk a bit of both.
Solo, can be good for the soul and clears the head for a while.
Having one other for company can be good for putting a bit of sh#t on each other and having a laugh.
Can't beat good old fashioned solo hunting though either!.

aussiefool
14-10-2006, 02:25 PM
You pick them up? Gees I must be a one in a million deckie. Have never expected to be picked up. If I am invited to go out (not as often as I would like) I make sure I am the one that is up early and drive to meet up with the skipper. ;)

Poodroo

The reason I like to pick people up on the way through is so I don't get mucked around, If their not out the front waiting or I have to wait more than 5 mins to bad to sad. ;D
If I'm the deckie for someone else I'm at their place waiting atlease 10 mins before the arranged time. I was a deckie for a bloke a few weeks ago and he said that we would leave to 5.30 am 630 and he was still pi$$ing around, I would of went home but I was too keen to go outside. Bugger me if him pi$$ing around was to be the highlight of the day with no legal fish boated :'( :'(

bidkev
14-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Whenever I can I go solo but more times than not, I'm stuck with the kids. I never consider putting the boat in for less than 6 hrs or more so midweek when I have to taxi kids to school etc, I like to do a bit of shore fishing. Used to love sandgate pier for a bit of solitude but the last 3 or 4 times there has always been some, "I've been there done that" kind of guys bending my ear about their prowess so I've kept away lately as I prefer my own company.

That said, when I meet someone who's prepared to listen to MY "been there done that" then I don't mind company ;D

kev

onerabbit
14-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Before I fished with my now long-time deckie I was a bit wary of venturing out to sea by myself, except if it was a club outing with other boats around.
I had a couple of scares while I was alone, including getting snagged on a set of trap-bubbles in a fair current while I was busy looking over the side I was fishing from. ( I finished up hanging onto the transom pushing the trapped bubbles & 20 litre drum away with my feet.)
"Very scarey".

Ida & I are mates & have fished togeather for many seasons.

While I love the peace & quiet of fishing alone, it's so good to share the experience, we have seen so many wild things togeather over the years.
Everything from whales to huge sharks at sea, monster cod swimming up to the little boat in freshwater, sharing the wins & failures.

Solo is great, has been a long time, but it's better to have a good deckie,
also good to have some-one to gaff your fish.

Muzz

Kendall249
14-10-2006, 09:48 PM
Both solo and with mates has its pros and cons. Solo, the serenity, having all the fish to yourself. But it is also good to put a mate on to a PB, first fish on lure, etc.

DICER
15-10-2006, 04:33 AM
solo, but, it is when you have your mates rod fly off the jetty that it has you in stitches and addicted to action.

Steve_Monckton
15-10-2006, 11:08 AM
I like going solo just because of the reason that not everyone has as much patience and enjoy the peace and quiet as I do and they want to go home prematurely to watch the idiot box or have family commitments. But having said that, there is a real safety issue going solo as well. I have been washed of the rocks once and lucky for me my legs and arms got debarked and not my head and I had to fish myself out of rough seas, which was not easy and walk out of a rough headland area without assistance. not good!! On the other hand, I was out with a mate on the wall and was about to gaff a substantial jew for him, slipped on the slimey rocks and went upside down into a crevice in amongst a burst of expletives from me. I didn't get hurt but could hear him telling me stop mucking around and gaff the bloody fish in amongst howls of laughter from other fisho's. He got the fish and I had a helping hand to extract myself. solo is not always a good thing. cheers.

Sneazer
15-10-2006, 01:04 PM
I went fishing last night, to try out a new spot. Took along a mate, we didn't catch much, but we did land a huge catfish which was halarious. Most deffinately was worth having a mate around last night for a good laugh.

I think i prefer the company now that i think about it.

Cheers

J

hardb8
15-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Can't decide.
It's great to be alone and have time to yourself.It's also great to fish in the company of like minded friends. :-/

finding_time
15-10-2006, 09:53 PM
If i'm hunting new ground with lots of motoring and sounder watching going on i much prefer to be solo as there's no pressure ( real or perceived) and i can go as far as i like for as long as i like. But if i'm going to a known area to catch fish company is great as you can share the experience and the fuel costs :P

Ian

Bandit1
15-10-2006, 10:32 PM
some days yea some days no depends on my mood...most of the time tho i like the company.

sleepygreg
15-10-2006, 11:26 PM
I used to fish a lot solo. Learnt a lot about patience and observing the natural environment. Used to take the boat out solo as well.....but always in the company of other club members doing the solo things in their boats. Soon learnt that solo can be dangerous.....and downright frustrating when ya hook the "big" one. These days ....due to health reasons....will only fish solo in the more populous areas shorebased.....but love getting out in the boat with others.....at least ya got somoene to talk crap with when things are quiet......but will only fish with ppl who share the same passion...not interested in fishing with weekend warriors.

cheers

Greg

JasonT
16-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Kingtin,

Mate I'll listen to your "been there done that" stories anyday!

JT

Pitsta
16-10-2006, 05:28 PM
Either way , Bit hard launch & retreive but when you can't get a crew & the weathers good ya gotta go !!!

Mark

ssbayguide
16-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Hi All

Love solo but do appreciate company in remote locations. At least once I've stumbled across what would appear to be cash crops on a solo fish/hike through some remote country. Couldn't get out of there fast, or quietly enough!

Peter R

nigelr
16-10-2006, 06:16 PM
At sea solo you learn fast or fear lots, that was my experience! Nowadays I'm happy to fish solo, run my own race. I also LOVE the dark nights on the beach, solo, just me, God (what/whoever that is) and a hundred billion stars, just waiting for the big pick-up/smash, it doesn't get any better IMHO!
Having said that lot, any time fishing is good.............................! :)
PS - damn good post, sneeza, IMO, be careful on the stones solo!
Cheers!

Mozza
16-10-2006, 07:21 PM
Its a question of philosophy.

To share the moment or do some piscatorial meditation.

Without doubt my best fishing has always been on my own - I'm amost always experimenting even if its at the usual spot. But on my own, I get very intense - nothing else matters, just the reel, the rod and the bait/lure/livie. I have done really stupid things to get my catch. Like jumping into a croc-infested billabong in the NT to disentangle a ~80cm 'toga from a snag. Fished in monsoonal downpours just to see if the barra start to go nuts when the muddy water hits the main channels.

On the other hand, fishing with a good mate is just about as good as it gets, fish or no fish. In one case there were 4 of us in a 4m barra boat Shady Camp (NT) standing on the 4 corners of the boat threshing the water to foam with lures and not once did any of us collect a hook in the ear!

Bruff1
16-10-2006, 08:06 PM
its good to have a bit of me time but its also just as good with a big fire a few mates and thousands of ice cold tinnies

Green
16-10-2006, 09:28 PM
I enjoy fishing! Whether i'm alone or with a mate, even 2 or 3 boatloads. If there's different line classes, baits and rigs in the water, you tend to cover a few bases, and you can spread out and cover more ground. Alternatively you can put the rods in the holders and just sit back and enjoy a beer and a laugh.

haggis
16-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Howzit gaun ?
I like to fish with the misses as she makes all the food ,
makes the coffee and opens the cans for me .
I try to catch the fish but sometimes the misses catches them first .
she certainly caught me line hook and sinker .
cheers fae haggis ::)

Remo
16-10-2006, 09:52 PM
I normally fish by myself but lately I have been fishing with by brother, and I find it very enjoyable as we try a lot of new things all the time as we target different species.

So I would have to say with company.

Ray

el_carpo
17-10-2006, 09:32 AM
I've only fished solo once and didn't care for it much. It's been kind of a family tradition to go fishing together and it still is so ya, I'm with the fishing with company side. My brothers and I get along pretty well (except when they're being knuckleheads ;D) so I enjoy spending the day fishing with them.

bidkev
17-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Kingtin,

Mate I'll listen to your "been there done that" stories anyday!

JT

There'd be silence after two minutes Jason..............unless you want to talk vermin ;D

kev

tunaman
17-10-2006, 01:42 PM
Are you saying you talk to subspieces ;D Dr tunaman can help!
Just take two VB and call me in the morning. ;D

signed tunaman ;)

bidkev
17-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Are you saying you talk to subspieces ;D Dr tunaman can help!
Just take two VB and call me in the morning. ;D

signed tunaman ;)

Only two? You can come in on my shout anytime ;D

kev

tug_tellum
17-10-2006, 04:09 PM
MONO I dont like other people >:( >:( >:( They catch my fish :'( :'( :'( ; Mick ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Great_White
17-10-2006, 06:55 PM
Like to go with others it's good to talk to people when I am not catching fish ;D ;D ;D

Peter :)

moondancer
17-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Solo - that includes going out with my boys! Nothing better...as for other people...nah! good fun, but not productive..me and the boys have an 'understanding' once we're on the water!! No one else gets it!

Lawry

Tropicaltrout
17-10-2006, 08:10 PM
does not bother me which, as long as i am fishing.

TT