PDA

View Full Version : club ramps

robo02
17-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Hi all
I was wondering if anyone can give me a little info about some of the clubs that have the use of private ramps to the bay I.E cost of membership fee's security of vehicles and trailer while your out . Finally getting the boat out of the water on Sunday at comsley ramp
and watching the antics of the user's there i think enough is enough ? a thing called common sense is not in play with some people .So any help would be wonderful to get away from the madness and preserve some sanity . With a plan of attack when launching or retrieving your boat 5minutes is all you need get the boat out of the water and drive away from the ramp well away from others wanting to get in or out instead of stopping at the top of the ramp to unload and tie down and holding every one up . Sorry for the venting put if and old bloke like me can be in and out on his own in that time with a bit of forward thinking and be less of a hindrance to other users surely others can help themselves by doing the same . So maybe its time to look at the club side of things
Thanks reading and again sorry for dragging it out

Dodgy_Back
17-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Maybe it's about time that councils or boating organisations put up a "boat ramp code of conduct / ethics" along side ramps that get heavy usage.

It wouldn't take much for , say the BIAQ to sponser signs to go near ramps.

Even ausfish members who use the same ramp like wello point or fishermen island could get together and ask the local council if they could put a sign up and use the ausfish logo (with permission of course)

That way the once in a blue moon boaters and inconsiderate idiots can have a read and realise that stopping at the top of a ramp to tie down is a no no.

Mick

Poodroo
17-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Some people are real drongos huh? The thing is that most of what goes on at the ramps is purely common sense and "consideration" for others. It does not take a lot to be considerate but it seems for some it is very difficult. Tattoo "SCUMBAG" on their foreheads to make them more identifiable and we can all be more aware of them. ;D

Poodroo

cactus_jack
17-10-2006, 11:27 PM
G'day Dodgey-back.

your suggestion of a sign at the boat ramps educating other of the "code of conduct" is a cracker of an idea.

Unfortunately when you buy a boat it doesn't necessarily mean you have any idea about how to conduct your self in either a responsible or considerate way. I agree that a program of education about what is expected at boat ramps would go a long way to getting people to think things through. However there is no substitute for logic and reasonableness. (Some people just need to be told!!)

The fact that most ramps have a warning sign to tell yachtsmen to lower their mast before running into the over head power lines says a lot! And I think we've all seen instances of stupidity on boat ramps resulting in boats being dropped on the ramp because there not strapped on etc etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that with all the education available some people will not learn, there will always be some one there who " I know boats!" and goes their own way.

thank God for the theory of Darwinism!

cactus_jack
17-10-2006, 11:30 PM
Sorry Drongo I realise this is your thread, but I can't answer you question about private / club ramps. Never used any.

cactus_jack
17-10-2006, 11:31 PM
Oops, sorry I meant Robo, I meant no offence I'm still getting used to this

PinHead
18-10-2006, 03:25 AM
maybe Moreton Bay Trailer Boat Club..not sure of membership details.

It is also amazing that anytime that this ramp discussion arises that everyone on here is so perfect when launching and retrieving...everyone is on and off the ramp in an inkling...well I know I have held people up on the ramp and probably will do in the future...everything does not always go to plan..so maybe some patience is required in a lot of instances.

Feral
18-10-2006, 05:14 AM
It depends wether someone is a tosser, or having problems, a bit of a helping hand instead of a swinging gaff hook would help ramp relations a lot!

robo02
18-10-2006, 05:42 AM
I know everyones not perfect when it comes to boat ramps but waiting nearly an hour for the clowns at this circus starts to put a dent in anyone's patiance they even had an ice cream truck there for show. patiance understanding and empithy is part of my job i deal with it every day but as i said earlier im just looking for info about clubs and thier ramps . I dont get invoved with ramp rage common sense is all thats required and that doesnt happen a great deal at the puplic ramps so for my own piece of sanity the alternative to going to these ramps at 3 in the morning to launch to avoid the kaos would be looking at the private ramps and what is on offer ,i will look at the Morton bay trailer club a friend is already a member thier i was wondering if their were any others
thanks

jim_farrell
18-10-2006, 07:06 AM
Do we honestly believe that someone lacking the common sense or decency to think of others at the ramp, will read and obey a council sign.
Sorry guys, not in my world.
Jim

marlinqld
18-10-2006, 07:15 AM
A little courtesy/patience, and maybe now and then offering a helping hand to an inexperienced boatie is all it takes.

We were all inexperienced and hopeless on a ramp for a while when we first started boating. #:P Don't be so quick to judge. Offer a hand, some friendly advice. #;D You'd be surprised what will come of it.

Now, having said that, YES, there are di**heads on ramps, but thankfully not alot. Most are just inexperienced and would appreciate some advice or friendly hand.

If they tel you tp pi** off then at least you can sleep soundly knowing you offered. ;D

Mike

Duyz72
18-10-2006, 12:10 PM
I for one am bloody well hopeless backing a trailer down a ramp (IMHO), but there is clear daylight between me and my mates so I am always the go to guy.
I guess I just haven't had enough experience at it, but definitely getting better.
Now I only need a two lane ramp lol ;)

Dirtysanchez
18-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Mate there is one at Scarborough I think - near Morgans, and one at Manly too I think (at least I was told that there was)

Down the Pin you have Rudy Mass and Horizon Shores, or whatever it is called, where you pay to use the facility and they will even help you launch etc, and keep an eye on your car for overnighters.

Too much passion in the replies guys, I know we all are frustrated and how ggood would it be if the counciils thre some bucks at the ramps and put in some pontoons or useful stuff, but Robo2 wasn't really asking about that ;)

Of course Robo2 it depends where you live too

Dirtysanchez
18-10-2006, 02:01 PM
:-[ think I better get a new keyboard, that last post was terrible!

Fishin_Dan
18-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Signs are a start, but how many people do you see paying attention to the rigging zone signs? ::)

BrandonH
18-10-2006, 02:20 PM
good point dan :( some guys jst don't have a clue and never will!! but as stated giviing a hand is a start. I have ofered help a couple of times and it has been acepted and I have ended up having a good old chat with the other boatie ;)

There is one on cabage tree creek at the VMR, a mate is a member but don't know there prices should be able to find out though if interested..

Cheers
Brandon...

moondancer
18-10-2006, 07:17 PM
If you're prepared to pay club membership, Redlands Boat CLub has its own ramp and wash down facilities - etc. well worth considering.......check out the web site www.redlandsboatclub.org.au for info.

Lawry

Camo
18-10-2006, 08:18 PM
It sounds like a good club but it appears they aren't taking memberships at the moment.

Ordinary membership. This class is restricted to 400 members who have full voting rights, may serve on the committee of management as Flag Officers or committee members or serve on one of the sub-committee. This class of member has full access to the boat compound and boat ramp. Annual membership fees $220.00 incl. GST ( subject to change). Ordinary membership is currently full and there is a waiting list. To join this waiting list the applicant must fill in both an application for Ordinary membership and an application for Social Membership. The Club is open on Friday evenings for dinner and family drinks and completion of application forms after receiving advice on the Club’s activities and amenities at which time the joining fee and other details will be explained. While waiting for Ordinary membership, as a Social member you are welcome to join in any of the regular boating activities and annual fishing competition. However you do not have access to the compound or ramp.

Too bad really I might have joined.

Camo

moondancer
18-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Its worth getting on the list, and starting as associate - surprising how quickly you may be offerred full membership - sometimes within a month of applying - if you're keen don't hesitate!

sleepygreg
18-10-2006, 10:19 PM
northern part of the bay.............Moreton Bay Boat Club. Two three lane ramps.....with two pontoons....superb licenced clubhouse.....and if ya want ......they have a sportfishing and game fishing club ya can join as well........secure parking via electronic key......and a great crew of fishos.............$165 a year for full membership...............ya might have to wait a coupla weeks tho :)

cheers

Greg

robo02
19-10-2006, 06:11 AM
Hi all

Thanks for the info on the clubs all worth checking out .
living out in the western side of brisbane i will see witch is the closest to me again my intension wasnt to start a debate about what goes on at the puplic ramps just infomation on the clubs thanks again .

regards
Rob

rick_k
20-10-2006, 11:22 PM
check out the VMRs. The one at Sandgate on Cabbage tree creek has a ramp and parking.

Glenn_Woods
21-10-2006, 05:27 AM
Im not in the brisbane area, but is the problem a lack of ramps that you have down there. It obviously must be or everyone wants to use the closest/best or most convenient. As more cars use the roads, the roads are upgraded. As more boats are on the water now, Ramps should be upgraded. The Gladstone ramp next to the VMR is a top ramp. About 4-5 car wide and clean. But no convenient area to drive to and tie down. Haven't seen any ramp rage here, and hopefully never will. But i think the country town people are probably a bit more patient than our city cousins. Thats my opinion.

Woodsy.