PDA

View Full Version : Stanage & Clairview

rtranter
20-10-2006, 08:38 AM
Hi,
Can anyone tell me what the fishing & Crabbing's like at Stanage and Clairview. Heard it's pretty good, also need info on accommodation as well thanks..
Murf, have the info you asked for as yet can't PM, so need e-mail address or something from you.
Rob

Angla
20-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Recently spent a week there.

TOP little location away from the hustle and bustle.

You will need to practice fishing in current. Do you plan to get out to the island groups or just do some crabbing in the 'sound'. What sort of accomodation are you after and for what number of people?

http://www.stanagebay.com/oasis.htm

This is the place we stayed. Von and Tony run the place and own the tackle shop next door. Very friendly couple that are more than happy to point you in the right direction.

I could offer a couple of positions for around the island groups.

Chris.

Angla
20-10-2006, 02:55 PM
And another of the days catch less a few that went straight to the frying pan.

Angla
20-10-2006, 02:58 PM
You should try to spend at least one night at the percy group.

StevenM
20-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Some nice shots ther Angla

murf
20-10-2006, 05:10 PM
Hi Rob
got the info thanks
i am going to do a google to find this place, it looks good
Murf

hussy
20-10-2006, 05:21 PM
any good for a 4mtr boat. hubby

Angla
20-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Hubby, From what I saw up there at the start of September, waters can be smooth inbetween the islands but the currents that flow through the Sound and across what would be a bar area where the waters open up from the Sound into Stanage Bay appear to get quite uncomfortable. We had a 6.8 metre Centre Cab but from the 6 boats that went on the trip we did have a 5.0 metre cuddy that handled all the conditions without mishap.

We were specifically after reef species but if you plan to go for macks, Jew, GT's or mud crabs then you will not have to travel quite so far.

On a good weather day then there are 3 island groups that would be worth some exploration as a group of boats if possible.

Heres a pic of what we did to protect the boat from stone chips. 100 Km of dirt road will take its toll.

Chris

rick_k
20-10-2006, 11:12 PM
on a good day we went to just Nth of Shoalwater with a local chasing mackerel, in a 4.3 pointy punt.

As we were coming back I wondered whether the bow seat post would be driven up my clacker or through the keel, but all was well. Except that the spotties were swimming in a silver grey soup in the esky.

Try BarraLodge as well; Phill and Tina

rtranter
22-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Thanks heaps guy's, sounds like a great spot, even the 4.75 c/console allycraft should go allrite. Don't know when it'll be but I'll get there asap, even the war lord wants to go, so must be good.
Thanks again,
Rob