PDA

View Full Version : Thinking fish

tunaman
15-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Do fish think or are they just a doppy scally thing we pull out of the water.
Just asking ,coz sometimes when Ive got a fish on, they seem to be looking right through me.
It seems to happens with the big ones a lot, I feel that theres
a lot more to a fish than meets the eye.

Silver eels! I wounder how many people know what they are?
and no its not a eel. Clue! they have been around for millions of years, and still here today.
A friend canght one in a net when he was taking a shot for some prawns, and it watched every move we made. Scary!

signed tunaman

Black_Rat
15-10-2006, 09:21 PM
Have fished on a couple of jetties and offered most baits on a hook right in front of them only for them too look at it and thumb there noses at it #::). There acting on experience more than instinct I reckon ! #::)

Anyone who has fished and thinks that there is no art to fishing is kidding themselves #;D

Duyz72
15-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Tunaman - not starting to become vegetarian and hug a few fish RU?

Let your caveman come forth and remind your newage combie driving fish bonding inner reflections just how good fish taste ;D ;D!

I reckon if they did think they would probably be thinking
"Mmmmmmmmmm dinner . . . . . hang on . . . . what the. . . . . Oh bugger!"

Tunaman - I have no doubts there is some level of intelligence there, but to what comparison can we possibly make?

tunaman
15-10-2006, 09:37 PM
I think your picture says it all. Iam just looking above. ;D

signed tunaman :)

Graham_N_Roberts
15-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Interesting Tunaman. I rekon we humans a a smug lot. We have this attitude that we are the only, or most, intelligent animal on the planet.

I say, if so .. How come we are stuffin' the planet up? :-/ :-/

We think that other animals are incapable of reasoning, and that they only act on instinct. I believe they do learn from experience, and can identify problems. Maybe not to our ... er .. supreme level, but they do.

Do you believe that it's always little fish that flog your bait without hooking up? I don't. :)

Cheers

Black_Rat
15-10-2006, 10:33 PM
Mate (and I use the term loosley after your PMs tonight!) after re-reading you initial post a few times "what are you trying to get across???????????"

SERIOUSLY !!!!!!

What are you getting at ???????????????????????????

Damo #:)

EDIT: 11:17pm 15/10/06

REF: your last PM makes some sort of sense we'll leave it be, mate #;)

Damo

tunaman
15-10-2006, 11:21 PM
Ok ITs just another one of tunamans curve balls, just to see what you all think. Sometimes I like to know what the true fisherman feels when he or she pulls in that big fish. But silver eels is the point of the post.
Coz some fish seem to look right at you, and I just wanted know if people have seen the same thing.
Its just a Question.
For me you should know Iam a sport fisherman, and for eating them, Id rather go down to the local fish and chipshop and buy it all cooked.
For me all fish tasts the same.
Is there anymore Questions?

straddie
15-10-2006, 11:47 PM
Heya Tunaman

doppy scally thing for me ;D
They have a tiny little dinosaur brain and can attribute a good or bad response to stimuli, no reasoning behind their actions.

tunaman
16-10-2006, 12:07 AM
Ok Iam going to bed now, and Iam taking my tiny brain with me, so good night. ;D
Silver eels? What are they?

signed tunaman 8-)

Black_Rat
16-10-2006, 12:11 AM
Ok Iam going to bed now, and Iam taking my tiny brain with me, so good night. ;D
Silver eels? What are they?

signed tunaman 8-)

Yeah good question, What are Silver eels ?

Go to bed !

Dipsh#t !

Black_Rat
16-10-2006, 12:13 AM
I think the majority of fish are a sh#t load smarter than your last posts tonight ! #;D

tunaman
16-10-2006, 12:19 AM
Black rat! Yes boss! I think Ive been drinking to much tonight ;D
All the best

tunaman.

But silver eels, you,ll have to find out that one yourself. ;)

Black_Rat
16-10-2006, 12:24 AM
Champ, find your own hand and tell yourself how good you are ! ::)

tunaman
16-10-2006, 12:29 AM
I found it after a few goes ;D and Iam still just as stupid ;D

I,ll tell you tomorrow what silver eels are. ;)

sighed tunaman :)

Poodroo
16-10-2006, 06:21 AM
Well personally I think fish are smarter than we give them credit for. It has been scientifically proven that fish do think but their memory span is limited so they rely mostly on instinctive behaviour. I am sure that most fish when they are scull dragged out of the water when they have been caught think to themselves "Well sh!t, am I having a bad f%#king day or what?" #;D

Poodroo

P.S. Tunaman, it would be "smart" for you to use spellcheck mate. ;D ;D (Just kidding) Just as well I speak fluent typo. :D

marlinqld
16-10-2006, 06:26 AM
LMFA off Poodroo.................... a bad day or what ;D ;D ;D ::) :o :o :o

bidkev
16-10-2006, 11:10 AM
I found it after a few goes ;D and Iam still just as stupid ;D

I,ll tell you tomorrow what silver eels are. ;)

sighed tunaman :)

Well, Sand Eels as used for bait in the UK are also known as silver eels. These are small eels that burrow in the sand but they look more like an elongated fish than a true eel. Elvers (juvenile eels) running the fresh water are also sometimes referred to as silver eels and the common European eels that migrates to the sargasso sea is also commonly called a silver eel although they are also coloured an olive green and are the same species as the elvers. "Olive green eel" doesn't sound as romantic I suppose ;D Strangely, the European Conger eels are verging on the colour silver but I have never heard them referred to as "silver eels" ::)

kev

Dirtysanchez
16-10-2006, 11:37 AM
I can't help but to think that based on some of the posts that maybe some of you blokes should refrain from drinking whilst on line, or installing a breathalyser beside your PC ;D ;D

BrandonH
16-10-2006, 02:28 PM
lol good call on the breathalyser sanchez ;)

Would your sliver eel be a pike eel??? I have had them look me in the eye right before lunging themselves at me :o :o now days any pike eel over 1mtr gets cut off ASAP!!!! they are nasty buggers and I have seen them travel a couple of metres on LAND to get a strike at you ;)

Cheers
Brandon...

PS: I reckon some fish are smarter than others.. like a whiting isn't as smart as a Bream or a grinner isn't as smart as a snapper ;)

tunaman
16-10-2006, 04:15 PM
I never drink on line!.............................much! hardly ever!.....................................OK I was pissed. Sorry to all members.
But King Tin was right, and never wont to see another drink again. ;D ;)
:)

bidkev
16-10-2006, 07:00 PM
I never drink on line!.............................much! hardly ever!.....................................OK I was pissed. Sorry to all members.
But King Tin was right, and never wont to see another drink again. ;D ;)
:)

That's you buggered mate..........we've got it in writing...........No more grog for tunaman............I'll have yours for you ;D ;D

kev

The old rule of an eye for an eye leaves everybody blind. (Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr)

hussy
16-10-2006, 07:12 PM
the silver eels are hairtail, they are great to eat . you scale them with a hessian bag, the scales look like silver paint,excellent sport catching these monsters. hubby

Poodroo
16-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Hey kingtin, I think tunaman drinks enough for the two of us so I had better meet up with you to give you a hand to consume the grog. :D ;D We can then chat about where our aquarium industry experience comes in. ;)

Poodroo

Bruff1
16-10-2006, 08:13 PM
is this the kingtin that a pommie stole from me a few years ago when i owed the taxman heaps

bidkev
16-10-2006, 09:48 PM
is this the kingtin that a pommie stole from me a few years ago when i owed the taxman heaps

That's me mate, thanks for a nice rig that served me well and welcome to the site. Got a good trade in for a whittley sea legend since but I was sorry to let your tax concession go ;D Must've been well looked after ;) as it sold in the yard within 3 days despite the dents and scratches in the transom where the big vermin tried to make their escape ;D

Watcha running now?

kev

bidkev
16-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Hey kingtin, I think tunaman drinks enough for the two of us so I had better meet up with you to give you a hand to consume the grog. :D ;D We can then chat about where our aquarium industry experience comes in. ;)

Poodroo

Thanks for the kind offer Poodroo but I don't get enough to be able to share.......even when I drink other peoples. I spill most of it after the first slab ;D

Talking of aquarium experience, I see on the news that they've issued more licences for the collection of clown fish off the GBR. It said that they were fetching 60 bucks each...by my reckoning with the freight, mark-up etc and no more than 20 to a polystyrene box they're gonna be looking at selling for 60 sterling (150bucks) in the UK. can't see the tight-arsed poms paying that so they must be shipping 'em to the States.

kev

tunaman
16-10-2006, 11:23 PM
;D ;D ;D

signed tunaman ;)

Poodroo
17-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Talking of aquarium experience, I see on the news that they've issued more licences for the collection of clown fish off the GBR. It said that they were fetching 60 bucks each...by my reckoning with the freight, mark-up etc and no more than 20 to a polystyrene box they're gonna be looking at selling for 60 sterling (150bucks) in the UK. can't see the tight-arsed poms paying that so they must be shipping 'em to the States.
kev

Lol Kingtin, I have to agree with you on that one. They will bipass the UK for sure. When I was in the Aquarium industry they were successfully breeding Ocellaris, Tomato, and even Percula Clownfish in captivity. I think they should step up production to cater for the growing overseas demand I think rather than raping and pillaging our GBR. :-/

Oh by the way Tunaman, sorry for hijacking your thread. I am sure everyone out there would rather we talk about thinking fish. ;D ;)

Poodroo

Great_White
17-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Most fish seem to out smart me most days so I guess they have some smarts ;D ;D ;D

Peter :)

moondancer
17-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Well, I'm only replying cos I actually bothered to read this whole thread, and figured...well its useless meaningless lot of garbola, but, hey, I'm at the end, so I may as well chip[ in!! And...I've only had one rum....so far....so might come back to it if I feel like some inane fish psychology lesson!

Have another drink guys!!

Graham_N_Roberts
17-10-2006, 07:54 PM
:D I don't need a drink to muck about.

Hec .. can't drink anyway ... I'm on call for work :'( :'(

Free weekend comin' up ... might get to see how smart the fish are ... that's if there's any around CQ. :-[

Phil-Fishbin
17-10-2006, 08:33 PM
sadly... fish are stupid ,, #::) :o ;D 8-)

tunaman
17-10-2006, 08:50 PM
With those four icons, are you describing tunaman, if you are, well, go and get stuffed ;D ;D ;D ;D 8-)

I.think like a fish ;D Maybe thats why Iam tunaman, the king of the sea ;)

signed tunaman ;)

Graham_N_Roberts
17-10-2006, 09:48 PM
;D ;D ha, ha .... legned Tunnaman.

That's my problem ... can't think like a fish. :P

;)Well almost can ... think of food, think of procreatin' ... what else is there ::)

tunaman
17-10-2006, 09:53 PM
LMAO ;D ;D ;D ;D

signed tunaman 8-)

onerabbit
17-10-2006, 10:23 PM
Re: Thinking fish
« Reply #32 - on: Today at 20:50:42 » With those four icons, are you describing tunaman, if you are, well, go and get stuffed

I.think like a fish Maybe thats why Iam tunaman, the king of the sea

signed tunaman

Settle TM, this has been a great laugh.

I am half way through a bottle of Jamesons, so please forgive typos.

The only silver eel I can think of is a Hairtail also, the buggers dont just look at you, they go for broke, coil & strike like a snake.

Muzz

tunaman
17-10-2006, 11:16 PM
No One rabbit, there is another! King tin was right about the eels, but what Iam talking about, its not a true eel. The name silver eel was give
by the way it looks. Like I said, this fish dates back to the time befour dinosaurs walked the earth, and it was only found this century.
Clue! It has a head like a mexican walking fish and has eyes as big as pool balls. It grows up to 4 to6 feet long with long thin teeth, about
4 inches.

signed tunaman

bidkev
18-10-2006, 09:52 AM
<snip>
Clue! It has a head like a mexican walking fish and has eyes as big as pool balls. It grows up to 4 to6 feet long with long thin teeth, about
4 inches.

signed tunaman

That's it tunaman! :o :o............. You've gotta give up the grog ::) :'( That description sounds like you've got the DT's ;) ;D ;D

kev

tunaman
18-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Give up the grog :o thats like saying dont breath. ;D But Kingtin, onerabbit, if I had not seen this thing for my self, I wouldnt have beleved
it. I have tried to find some info on this, but the name the pro,s gave it
just does,nt come up on the net. When I seen this fishy thing, it was caught in a prawning net, and its eye did not stop looking at us the whole time. When we moved its eye moved, and when we came to close to it, it freaked and would smash around and tow the tinny with it.
We lost a heap of net because of this thing, Iam not the only one that has seen these fish. They seem to know what people are, and the way it stared at us, this was a fish that thinks.

Soon as I find out more, Iwill post it.

signed tunaman

Poodroo
18-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Keep off the hallucinogenics tunaman. Do the eyes in the paintings move too? ;D ;D ;D I am starting to think the boy is putting more than just SP's in your sandwiches. ;D

Poodroo

webby
18-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Havent you heard of Fish Schools :-? where their taught the finer art of deciding which bait will harm, and which ones are digestiable. :-X
regards

PinHead
18-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Give up the grog :o thats like saying dont breath. ;D But Kingtin, onerabbit, if I had not seen this thing for my self, I wouldnt have beleved
it. I have tried to find some info on this, but the name the pro,s gave it
just does,nt come up on the net. When I seen this fishy thing, it was caught in a prawning net, and its eye did not stop looking at us the whole time. When we moved its eye moved, and when we came to close to it, it freaked and would smash around and tow the tinny with it.
We lost a heap of net because of this thing, Iam not the only one that has seen these fish. They seem to know what people are, and the way it stared at us, this was a fish that thinks.

Soon as I find out more, Iwill post it.

signed tunaman

I bet you put that post up just after watching The Abyss

onerabbit
18-10-2006, 09:25 PM
It has a head like a mexican walking fish and has eyes as big as pool balls. It grows up to 4 to6 feet long with long thin teeth, about
4 inches.

Doesn't nature create some weird stuff !!!!!

Not got a clue what that thing may be.

Look forward to more info on it.

Muzz

tunaman
18-10-2006, 11:50 PM
No boys! This a true story. After that night, we went down to the lake to do some fishing, and we were talking about it, and a bloke in his 50s said
that a few years ago, he was prawning with a scoop net and standing in about knee deep of water, then this long light silvery thing swam round and round him for three or more mins before it disappeared into the darkness. He said, I shit my self that bad, I never when prawning again.
So we sat there and talked about it, and all we came up with, that it was
eel and fish mixed together. He also said, it was just looking him up and down with its big eyes, and he thought he was gone for all money.

signed tunaman

Kendall249
18-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Hey tunaman, I hope that camel of yours is alright.

tunaman
19-10-2006, 08:26 AM
LOL. Yeah needed new balljoints, and I lifted up its tail and took the dipstick out, it was a bit low on oil too. ;D ;D ;D

signed tunaman ;D

rick_k
20-10-2006, 11:16 PM
the fish I have in the tank at home definitely learn. So does a bee. Both have a minute brain, but can and do change their behaviour.

If we are heading towards do fish feel pain and should we fish for them, well, let's get that out in the open.

tunaman
21-10-2006, 07:07 PM
I think some fish do think. My mate has a tank with an oscar fish in it.
and it knows , when he comes too the tank, it comes right over to him,
and when I come too the tank, it just looks at me and swims away.
I think his fish has a attitude problem.

signed tunaman

rtranter
22-10-2006, 01:15 PM
It has a head like a mexican walking fish and has eyes as big as pool balls. It grows up to 4 to6 feet long with long thin teeth, about
4 inches.

# # Doesn't nature create some weird stuff !!!!!

# # Not got a clue what that thing may be.

# #Look forward to more info on it.

# #Muzz
Doesn't nature create some weird stuff
hhhmmmmmmm?
well yes,
after reading some of the questions/comments I'd say yep it sure does are you fare dinkum or what?
Keep it up though guy's certainly makes for some good reading and laughs.
Rob 8-)

Grand_Marlin
22-10-2006, 01:41 PM
4 inches.

signed tunaman

I know, I know .... it was Peter Beattie going for a swim ;D ;D ;D

Perfect I.D.

Cheers

Pete

tunaman
22-10-2006, 02:20 PM
LMAO ;D ;D ;D ;D How did you come up with that. I thought he looked like a flathead. ;D ;D ;D

signed tunaman ;D

tunaman
22-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Tunaman will shut down for a while, because some people are getting upset. Apparantly this is nowhere to have a laugh. So by for now.

signed tunaman