PDA

View Full Version : Boaties market

rcfisher
22-10-2006, 11:38 AM
Did anybody make it down to the boaties market this morning at Vicky Point? Just wanting to know how many bargains I missed out on.

charleville
22-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Not sure about bargains. #A lot of junk gets wheeled out at those things but I suppose if you are looking for a part for some old boat or motor, you might find it there.

I am happy though - I bought a nicely turned donger...

;D ;D ;D

Blackened
22-10-2006, 02:28 PM
G'day
I droped in thismorning.

Love your donger charlie, they looked good for the prices and the old bloke had soem very nice reels.

Alot of absolute...... water features there, but a couple of decent rigs. Some of the pricing was, tell him he's dreaming.

Not bad for a look, probably go to the next one aswell.

Dave

bignick
22-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Tried to sell a few things today. Seemed as though nobody was buying; maybe the wind put people off. Whatever the case, nobody seemed to be in a buying mood. It's a shame in that what is a good concept and a good fund raiser has turned into a Flea Market with that much JUNK and non-fishing related stuff being trotted out it's not funny. Nobody seemed to be buying too much good-quality gear, instead preferring to hit the $2-$5 hard. Oh well, maybe next time...

Cheers,
NICK.

redspeckle
22-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Yeah I hit the $5 bargains [smiley=wut.gif] hard got trailer coupling now I make that extension draw bar for Fraser Island put boat in and got pair of submersible lights with bulbs and light cover's for $5 as well and a pipe clamp for $8
I think money well spent for the day
Also caught up with Nugget,Webby,Ron Mole,and other people that I know ::)
A great morning out and definitely go next one [smiley=thumbup.gif]
Mitch :)

charleville
22-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Love your donger charlie, they looked good for the prices and the old bloke had soem very nice reels.

Yeah - some lovely turned hand reels - camphor laurel wood etc. I am happy with my donger - I now wish that I had got a couple more - one for the car and one to hang inside the front door at home. ;D ;D The bloke's wife who took the money was very enthusiastic about the sale so that was nice. :)

It's a shame in that what is a good concept and a good fund raiser has turned into a Flea Market with that much JUNK and non-fishing related stuff being trotted out it's not funny.

I am pleased that someone else has that perception. :-/ I did not want to give the event a bad review as it should be a great fund-raiser for a great VMR but I agree that here was a lot of trash amongst the treasure. I am really surprsed that some people will put stuff on sale that I would have thrown away at the dump. I also saw some new packaged general Shimano combos there that would be cheaper at K-Mart when they have their regular 30% off sale of fishing gear - so why would you buy from someone at a trash and treasure market where guarantees might as well be forgotten as the name of the bloke that you are buying them from?

I am not in the market for a boat so I did not really look at them but it was hard not to notice the appalling condition of the motor that one of them had. :( I suspect that a spray can of paint on the motor might have done wonders for the likelihood of a sale and optimal price. ;)

The event had drawn a pretty sizable crowd when I was there around 7am. So just imagine what a Sundown or Springwood Marine could do with such an audience. ::)

I do hope that this event continues to grow as a boaties event and not just another trash and treasure thing where people sell old tools and other non-marine stuff.

BilgeBoy
22-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Yeah...the coffee was good!!!

Caught up with a few mates and picked up a few bargains. Left my SP's in the tackle box and they ate their way through...so I replaced that. Picked up a spare anchor. All in all not a bad adventure. Surprised with the wind that more people weren't selling?? :-/

Until the next one then :)

hungry6
22-10-2006, 06:00 PM
I was actually looking for old relic as ornaments for house, I looked at and old bell with a base of about 200mm of some unknow boat, and the asking price was??? $395.00
I put it back and looked at the reels turned from some real nice timber.

Reefmaster
22-10-2006, 07:29 PM
I dragged myself down about 7.00am and although most of it was junk it was worth being there to give a donation to the VMR and i also picked up a great wooden donger the same as charleville. :)

Regards,
Greg

moreton
22-10-2006, 08:07 PM
Well as I am an active member of Vicky Point..........I have a different slant on todays market. That is the proceeds that we made will allow us to put fuel into and carry out the much needed maintence required to keep our boats in the condition required to answer any call for help and of cause lets not forget the cost of training for the eventual emergency. Any how thats all your going to get out me, standing on the soap box, telling all who want to hear the way it realy is, as I realise all Ausfishers already are aware.
Standing on one of the gates today I saw and spoke to a lot of "buyers" who were carrying out what they said were bargains. I saw a lot of smiling faces.
One bloke was carrying out what appeared to be traffic lights, you know red, yellow and green - he was absolutly wrapped in his purchase and on his return said he was coming back in to buy a ladder as he had seen another set down the road.
The quality of boats on offer today were in the main good (skin deep) from what I saw. I do know of a sale being made of above $30,000.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank all Ausfishers for their much appreciated support of this event.
Thanks also go to 4BC and Nugget for the free plugs they give.

Regards
Moreton

Great_White
22-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Gee I should have gone but to much yard work to do :( :( :(

A least there are a few fellow ausfishers picking up some cheap dongers ;D ;D ;D

Hey Steve how about an ausfish donger for your ever growing aush fish lines, looks like there's a good market for them ;) ;) ;)

Peter :)

coroboy
23-10-2006, 07:45 AM
Hi all,
As usual I got down to the boaties market and had a great time. I got there about 5.30 when good bargains are snapped up and had another look arond at 10am. Sure there was lots of stuff that was junk to me but guys were buying what they thought was not junk such as heat exchangers, props, ladders and parts for gear that had broken. Couples were walking out carrying Eskies and big tool boxes between them. I saw one guy walk out with the big set of disco lights - red, orange and green. He must have a need for new nav lights - hope he has a big boat. As for boats there was a full range from basic tinnies to a big overnighter which the guy told someone he had sold. What about the big charter boat on display. Could not miss that. There was one stall selling new gear at about half retail. There were guys selling new Life jackets stiil in the plastic at great prices. What a way for a boatie to spend the morning.
Good on ya VMR - job well done I reckon.
Coroboy

coraltrout68
23-10-2006, 12:29 PM
I live 5 minutes away and I forgot the boaties market was on.

To make matters worse my wife drove pass at 6am that morning and didnt bother ringing me to let me know it was on. :(

finga64
23-10-2006, 04:25 PM
I was just too stuffed to go after a crappy/hectic week away :P

It always good to sort throught the crap at 5.30 in the am with a torch and again after daybreak. It's amasing what you miss with the torch :D

I've always liked the boaties garbage sales there. Gives me a chance to top up the useless crap shelves in the workshop :)

Oh well if no-one was buying then that's more for me to buy next time :D

I can testify the dongers are good quality.. Many a dogfish has met his maker with one. ...and for those who say poor woofy fish...we eat them :)

At least the cook was happy, no stuff finding it's way home this time....
Until next time...He, he ;)

skippa
23-10-2006, 08:46 PM
yeah,

I've been to them all and I wasn't going to miss this opportunately either, I love a good browse around boats or anything to do with boats and fishing.

There sure was a mixed bag of goodies on offer this time. As I walked in I passed the bloke carrying out the 'disco' lights .. hmm the band was packing up already and its only 7.30am. ::)

I didn't need another anchor or prop nor more rope or steering cables not the secondhand sounders or old radios, but they where all there plus lots more. A few boats on offer too, but in my opinon the best one I saw was a coupla meets ago, a nice Haines V17L.

I did wonder about the plants tho, maybe they where a special variety to replace the depleting weed beds ... #:-?

It was a good way to spend a hour or two, but I'm lucky, its only around the corner. #I did leave with a coupla jars of sinkers to top up the stocks, only to get home when my mate says.. geez I thought we where going to make some with the moulds :-? I guess I can't help getting old and having kraft disease.. :P

Anyways I enjoyed the morning and was only too happy to throw a few #$$$$ into the VMR bucket, good job boys keep it up. #;)

Cheers,
Tony # 8-)

skippa
23-10-2006, 08:49 PM
oppppsssss double post ... sorry guys :-[

Braddles
24-10-2006, 03:12 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but I must have missed the advertising for this event..

How often are they held, and where are they?

Sounds like a fab idea and I love looking through boats and related stuff like this.

Thanks,

Brad.

marshy
24-10-2006, 06:26 PM
Hi all , this is my very first post,I went to the boaties market after reading about it on ausfish. Found a spare prop for my glass boat,a pair of oars & an anchor for my tinnie, a 7 foot boat rod & a 61 model 10hp johno [dont need it but couldn't let such an old motor sit there at the price] and all up spent less than a hundred bucks including my donation. Well worth the 4.30 wake up & the hour drive. Good on the VMR, I will definitely be at the next boaties market. P.S the 10 hp runs like a pearla after a couple of hours work. :)

marshy
24-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Hi all , this is my very first post,I went to the boaties market after reading about it on ausfish. Found a spare prop for my glass boat,a pair of oars & an anchor for my tinnie, a 7 foot boat rod & a 61 model 10hp johno [dont need it but couldn't let such an old motor sit there at the price] and all up spent less than a hundred bucks including my donation. Well worth the 4.30 wake up & the hour drive. Good on the VMR, I will definitely be at the next boaties market. P.S the 10 hp runs like a pearla after a couple of hours work. :)
marshy