PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely disgusting at Jacob Well

CHRIS_aka_GWH
22-10-2006, 07:48 PM
on the way back to the Jacobs Well ramp today noticed large white cube shapes in the mangroves on the northern side of the channel.

On closer inspection they are the foam blocks & literally dozens of them (about 2mx2m used in building slabs. They must have not been secured in the new canal estate to the southern side of the Well. # #>:( >:( >:(

There's enough Coolite there to kill a thousand turtles. It shouldn't be to hard to pick who's responsible - its not just one or two.

They should be made to get in amongst the mangroves and remove them or pay someone too then maybe next time they'd be a tad more responsible.

chris

jeffrey_h
22-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Report it to the EPA or whoever you can tomorrow.
They will never just go away, only break up in millions of small beads.

Jeffrey

Duyz72
22-10-2006, 08:09 PM
Definitely worth the call to make the blighters accountable!

Kendall249
22-10-2006, 08:20 PM
I agree with you lads, report it, as next times it will be the rotting bodies of unfortunate marine animals.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
23-10-2006, 06:45 AM
thanks guys, I have just emailed the EPA with a detailed message and left them my mobile.

All that foam would also cause a hazard to shipping - hate to think what it would do up inside an impellor and hot motor.

Poodroo
23-10-2006, 07:00 AM
Yet another example of carelessness toward our environment. For the so-called smartest living thing on this planet we sure do the dumbest things to the world we live in. Let us know what response you get from the EPA. Regards,

Poodoo

seafarer3
23-10-2006, 07:56 AM
Hey all,

I was down on crew, ( VMR Jacob's Well ) & we tried removing as much as we could.
( only 4 pieces ).. The wind was to strong & could only get in there at high tide....

CALIPSO BAY IS TO BLAME FOR THIS "NO EXCUSS LITTER" >:( >:( >:( >:(

#SHAME CALIPSO BAY SHAME >:(

Cheers
Scott

stevedemon
23-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Hi all
give the Gold Coast city Council a call and inform them but make sure that you really let them know that if no action is taken it will go to the papers and the E.P.A this is there responibility to make sure that all Building and construction sites proform to environmental strandards but at the same time inform the Courier Mail and the Gold Coast Bulletien of the situtation this will get some action and get the mess cleaned up and the cleanup fee will be forwarded to the Calipso Bay Development

Cheers ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

JB
23-10-2006, 12:04 PM
DC and I came past there a week or so back and i said to Dane "WTF is that in the mangroves?? :o" I thought it might have been some experiment or something going on... ::) should have realised it was just rubbish >:(

There was bloody heaps of it, i hope the epa get in there and clean it up. Also hope they track down the bums that let it blow away.

Jas

CHRIS_aka_GWH
23-10-2006, 04:56 PM
no reply from the EPA not even an acknowledgement of the email received. Maybe they are at the races with the guys from Mains Roads ;).

chris

capt
23-10-2006, 05:28 PM
Hey all,

I was down on crew, ( VMR Jacob's Well ) & we tried removing as much as we could.
( only 4 pieces ).. The wind was to strong & could only get in there at high tide....

CALIPSO BAY IS TO BLAME FOR THIS "NO EXCUSS LITTER" >:( >:( >:( >:(

#SHAME CALIPSO BAY SHAME >:(

Cheers
Scott
Good chance the foam came from that estate , but it's not Calypso's fault , it'll be some slack ar$e concretor not looking after his gear >:(! Ring Geoff Gale on 0428733266 he is the marina manager , tell him the story ,he might assist in the clean up . The last thing they need is bad press ! cheers Jimmy

NeilD
23-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Chris

Give your local state member a ring

This is not right >:(

woodchopper
23-10-2006, 06:21 PM
This seems to be typical GC to me. The environment is always a second thought.

redspeckle
23-10-2006, 06:47 PM
no reply from the EPA not even an acknowledgement of the email received. Maybe they are at the races with the guys from Mains Roads #;).

chris

You should Pm or e-mail to Nugget (Dave) about this issue might even put it on his radio show 4BC on the weekend
saying the lack of in action from the EPA
I hope this helps
Mitch :)

craigie
23-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Why not let Browny know about it, he's on the EPA payroll these days ::)

finga64
23-10-2006, 07:20 PM
Has anyone thought about the countless chucks of polystyrene floating around the water ways that were crab pot floats??
I don't know how many floats I've seen in the water with about 20m of algae, slime or whatever hanging of the float or rope.
These usually are no-where within cooee of any other traps that I could see.

I'm not game enough to pull them up (they may well be someones pots that live permanently in the water and they may be bigger and meaner then me and beat the snot outa me) to see if they are strays that just float around the waterways but seems unusual to have the amount of "growth" hanging off them and for them to be all on their Larry Lonesome.

Any thoughts??

saphire
23-10-2006, 08:11 PM
God.... What the hell is happening. Polution is happening everywhere around here. Logan River and Jacobs Well. 2 of my most favorite places in the whole world.
Im not happy at all.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
23-10-2006, 09:06 PM
many thanks to steve (stevedemon) who has contacted council about this - ta steve. The combo of state gov and council may get some action -

I like the thought of getting Nugget involved if necessary.

I may not get down there again this weekend - can others keep us posted on the progress of the clean up - I wish I had taken pics - i had the camera but just didn't think of it..

chris

stevedemon
24-10-2006, 10:02 AM
Hi all
i have received a Ph call from the Gold Coast city council today they are investigating the report on the foam and taking action i'll give credit where credit is due this is quick response from a council and the people to whom work there it was not a Councillor from the council but a worker to whom i spoke to and have taken the responsibilities well they are also going to get the Gold Coast Marine Safety Board on this one as well as the other of hazard in Logan river Tyres and axles floating down the river system

well done gold coast city council workers Evironmental, health and safety strandards,

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

CHRIS_aka_GWH
24-10-2006, 06:54 PM
still no response (not even an acknowlegment of the message) from the Queensland State Government EPA.

That's great encouragement to the average guy to report matters of environemental concern.

Give a gong to the Gold Coast City Council and the guys and gals behind the phones at their EPA. Follow thru pleeeeaaaase - the pin is to special to trash!!!

Fisherman are the first wall in environmental protection - not the most vocal - but usually the most concerned.

chris