PDA

View Full Version : Fish damage

tunaman
19-10-2006, 11:29 PM
All of us have come across this at one time or another, and the Question is, When you have caught an undersize fish or even a legal one for that matter, and the damage is to great for release, what should you do with it?

signed tunaman

DazSamFishing
19-10-2006, 11:36 PM
Depends what type of damage it is?

If it's legal... I would prefer to keep it... possibly for dog food...

If it is undersize... It is still released... but usually a close by pelican will grab it without hesitation...

Daz

tunaman
19-10-2006, 11:40 PM
Thats what I reckcon, Put it back into the food chain. But if you were going to do that, and you were caught with it, would they let you off with saying that?

signed tunaman

Kendall249
19-10-2006, 11:41 PM
Release it, as it all returns to the biomass of the ecosystem, albeit in the form fat and energy on the pelican and the rest as it sh*t. #Though its crap in turn feeds bacteria and other microorganisms, which feed small fish, #etc etc.

As for a legal fish it would probably go in the bait bucket (saves money on that overpriced stuff you buy), or as DazSam said it may go to the dogs (they love their fish too, even my livebait that jumps out of the tank.

tunaman
19-10-2006, 11:52 PM
What Iam asking now is, can you still be fined for having a undersized fish even thou it had no chance of living?

signed tunaman

Kendall249
19-10-2006, 11:58 PM
Depends on the fisho that catches you.

Tunaman your reply have had me and the missus cracking up a couple of times, Cheers kendall

tunaman
20-10-2006, 12:12 AM
Well lets put it this way. Last night, I accidently ripped a small fishies head off, and I couldnt find a pelican anywhere. ;D ;D ;D

But like I said, what the hell do with it. and can you still be fined for it
even thou its was a accident?

signed tunaman

DazSamFishing
20-10-2006, 12:13 AM
I reckon they would still hand out a fine...

You're in possession of an undersize fish...

I don't think any short story or explanation will count... Same goes with speeding on a main road... The police just hand out the fine... HOWEVER, the missus cried once and was let off!

Daz ;D

Kendall249
20-10-2006, 12:28 AM
Talking to someone in the know, advice was to edit this.

choppa
20-10-2006, 05:20 AM
tunaman,,, if your caught with an undersized fish,,,there is really no excuse is there???????

whether or not you've got it in a bait bucket,,,,or on the end of your hook,, (and there's heaps of threads on this,,,re whiting for flathead etc etc) it's still undersized,,,,

granted that the inspector ""may"" have a soft heart and warn you against having it,,,,but in this day and age,,the chances of being fined are great,,,

let's ask your same question,,,,,but put another fisho in your place,,,ie:

YOU COME ACROSS SOMEONE FISHING ON A PIER,,,YOU HAVE A LOOK IN THEIR BUCKET,,,AND YOU SEE A HEAP OF UNDERSIZED FISH,,,ITS OK MATE THEY SAY,,,USING THEM FOR BAIT???????????

see what i mean????????

wayneoro
20-10-2006, 06:17 AM
mate you are let off with 1 u/size fish given a official warning with 2 3 they write you up no longer are there let offs because you didnt know this or that those days are gone now its all black and white this is how it was recently explained to me

Poodroo
20-10-2006, 06:40 AM
I think letting them go to meet their peril is way better than the embarrassment of being caught with it when fisheries do their inspection. If they are injured and can still make it to the bottom then they will get cleaned up by something much larger and if they float then the birds always get them so there is no such thing as waste in the fish world. ;)

Poodroo

aussiefool
20-10-2006, 07:09 AM
the other day while out fishing for whiting I hooked a way undersized bream. It had NO top jaw at all and was still feeding ok so if it was me I would snip the line as close to the hook as poss, and let it go

DR
20-10-2006, 07:45 AM
Well lets put it this way. Last night, I accidently ripped a small fishies head off, and I couldnt find a pelican anywhere. ;D ;D ;D

signed tunaman

HOW THE BLUE BLAZES DO YOU ACCIDENTLY RIP THE HEAD OFF A FISH ANYWAY???????

Sandman
20-10-2006, 09:25 AM
Taking the hook out with your teeth by the sounds :-?

JasonT
20-10-2006, 09:57 AM
In short Tunaman, definitively YES. You can be issued with an offence if you have in your posession an undersize regulated fish, be it dead, alive, or injured.
The fish should be returned to the water where it will either survive or die, and in dying return to the ecosystem.
See http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/xchg/dpi/hs.xsl/28_2994_ENA_HTML.htm
for more info.
JT

Duyz72
20-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Tunaman been eating his weeties again.

favourite_whiting
20-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Always follow the DPI on bag and sizes limits
coz not want caught in any of fines, etc.
Any injuries, better see Slient ;D (member of Ausfish) so he can do some work on it as hes CSI ;D (sorry I can't find his stories somewhere in this Ausfish)
Happy life of fishing,
favourite_whiting ;)

choppa
20-10-2006, 01:45 PM

signed tunaman

i was gunna ask the same thing ,,,,,but at 5.30 this morning,,,???????

lets see,,, first you put your foot firmly on its tail,,,,then,,,,,,,,,, ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Grand_Marlin
20-10-2006, 01:55 PM
[quote author=tunaman link=1161264584/0#6 date=1161267123]Well lets put it this way. Last night, I accidently ripped a small fishies head off, and I couldnt find a pelican anywhere. ;D ;D ;D

signed tunaman

Maybe it was accidentally wrapped in foil and partially BBQ'd as well ?? ;D ;D

....... couldnt find a Pelican anywhere .... I cant stop laughing ;D

Cheers

Pete

Poodroo
20-10-2006, 02:03 PM

Maybe it was accidentally wrapped in foil and partially BBQ'd as well ?? #;D ;D

....... couldnt find a Pelican anywhere .... I cant stop laughing #;D

Cheers

Pete[/quote]

I am glad I am not an incontinent old fart that's for sure or I'd be wearing nappies whilst reading this thread and the replies. I can just picture tunaman out on the water having his catch inspected by the authorities and his explaination about how the undersized fishes head just happen to fall off. ;D ;D ;D

Tunaman says "Well all I did was try to remove the hook when next thing ya know I was holding this head!" ::) ;D

Poodroo

bidkev
20-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Tunaman, if your motor movements are that subtle that you rip the head off a fish whilst unhooking it, then I'd be careful how you shake the drips off your winkle after a pee :o ;D ;D

kev

Dirtysanchez
20-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Classic reply Kev, perhaps he has parkinsons ?

Throw them back Tunaman, stay on this side of the law. My father in law (may he rest in peace) used to think that way & once he foul hooked a baby whiting up at River heads.. well as luck would have it the DPI paid us a visit >:(

They weren't impressed and told us in no uncertain terms it just does not matter if the fish is dead, dying or mutilated with very little prospect for recovery (think a fish with it's head torn off falls into the latter) and we must put them back into the system

He then went on to impress the crap out of us by tapping the fish on the side of the boat, at which a very large sea eagle flew ouut of a tree on the river bank. He threw the fish into the water about 20 foot away and BANG, eddie the eagle had lunch.. bloody amazing

DR
20-10-2006, 04:38 PM

signed tunaman

am thinking, maybe it was 1 or 2 cm short of legal length

i was gunna ask the same thing ,,,,,but at 5.30 this morning,,,???????

lets see,,, first you put your foot firmly on its tail,,,,then,,,,,,,,,, ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

am thinking, maybe it was 1 or 2 cm short of legal length & using the choppa system he was trying to streeetch it out to legal ::) hence the 'accident' :P

murf
20-10-2006, 05:06 PM
thats tops
got tears of laughter running down the face ;D ;D ;D
was the fish a rat king?
now i am of to have my first rum for the arvo with a grin on the face
Cheers Murf

Poodroo
20-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Note to self. Putting undersized fish on the stretching rack doesn't work. ::) They only end up shorter once the head falls off. ;D ;D I am wondering if tunaman uses superglue to re-attach and hide the evidence and then puts them back in the water whilst saying "Swim dammit....swim!" just before the out of sight pelican swoops from nowhere and ends up with the fish superglued to its beak because the glue wasn't dry. :D Okay so this is stretching the imagination but picturing it is worth a laugh. Thanks for posting your hilarious thread tunaman. ;)

Poodroo

DR
20-10-2006, 06:07 PM
a 120cm snapper ;D ;D ;D ;D

sorry Tman, had to be done

Black_Rat
20-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Tunaman, if your motor movements are that subtle that you rip the head off a fish whilst unhooking it, then I'd be careful how you shake the drips off your winkle after a pee :o ;D ;D

kev

LMFAO ;D ;D ;D ;D

Great_White
20-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Tunaman, Tut, Tut, Tut under size fish always go back dead or alive.

I have been thinking may be if you cut and shunt a few under size fish together you can end up with a keeper #;D ;D ;D

DR , thats how you get a 120 cm. :D :D :D

Kev, you crack me up mate #;D ;D ;D

Can't wait for crestcutter or pinhead to get some comments in on this thread #;) ;) ;)

Sorry to hang it on you Tman but it's brought tears to my eyes. ;D ;D ;D

Peter.

webby
20-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Your life must be such a drag :'(
regards

tunaman
20-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Look! Iam not saying I havent tried to stretch a fish befour, but can get a centemetre or two if your carefull ;D. But all I did to the little guy was,
I tried too tug the hook loose, and its head fell off. What sort of shit go was that? They just dont make fish the way they used too.

signed tunaman ;D

tunaman
20-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Iam tell ya! its head just came off. You cant just glue it back on
you know.

Dam pelicans! there never there when you wont one!

signed tunaman

Black_Rat
20-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Tuna,

Look at your best hand and clench it tightly and look at your middle knuckle then proceeded to draw back your hand and hit youself as fast as you can right between your eyes !

You goose #;D

Give yourself an uppercut ! #[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

tunaman
20-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Black rat, mate! It was just a accident, I didnt wont its head to come off.
But I think its gone to a better place. R.I.P little fishy. ;D

I really think it had a disease or something.

signed tunaman 8-)

choppa
21-10-2006, 05:54 AM

signed tunaman 8-)

thats why there was no pelicans,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

or you could have dicovered a new species,,,that throws its head off when in danger,,,(much like a lizard throws its tail,,only in reverse)

Black_Rat
21-10-2006, 06:34 AM

signed tunaman 8-)

... a disease..? what leprosy ? the head just fell off ?? buddy you must have serious parts of your brian missing upstairs #:-[ enjoy your hand, i'm of to Indy !

el_carpo
21-10-2006, 07:07 AM
Same thing happened to me once. I was trying that new-fangled, fancy-shmancy hook disgourger -- "The guillotine 2000-X50-4000B." What a piece of junk! Total rip-off! ;D

Pellican or no, that thing was horrible! It was as if they wanted to remove fish heads! Now, I use it to open dog food cans.

tunaman
21-10-2006, 08:53 AM
Black rat. If you havent got the brains to figure out tunaman by now, well there just no hope for you. If you dont like the humorous post I make, well just dont reply to them.I Like to post the funnier sides of life
coz they happen to all of us, but hey, we cant all be super cool like you. ::) :P :P :P

And make sure you use the zebra crossing when getting from one side of the track to the other, we would all hate to see you splatered like bug on a windscreen. Have a nice day ::)

Chopper. Keep up the good work. I laughed my head off when I read that. ;D ;D ;D

signed tunaman >:(

Poodroo
21-10-2006, 04:07 PM
Well tunaman, in spite of what anyone else thinks of you I have figured you out. ;) You are an Ausfish addict like most of us who has a sense of humour and loves fishing and in my books that makes you okay. Strange but okay. ;D :D :D

Poodroo

sandsy
21-10-2006, 04:58 PM
The Fishos will still nail you for it...so just throw it back. There are some people out there who will try anything to keep their catch, nd i reckon the authoities have heard every excuse in the book.

Cheers,
Sandsy

tunaman
21-10-2006, 06:51 PM
I wonder if I can keep a pelican as a pet. ;D ;D ;D I know what you are all saying and thanks for your advice.
Iam usually very carefull with my fish especially when frying them ;D
But its good to know the law sides of things.
Coz I see people keeping small fish for all sorts of reasons, and I dont think they know how much trouble they can be in.
Even if it was a accident. ;D

signed tunaman

Adamy
21-10-2006, 07:22 PM
Thats pretty funny stuff right there... Tunaman - they make em strange (and funny) in Azerbaijan dont they!! ;D ;D

On a more serious note the fisheries when they catch someone with undersize fish always make the fisho throw them back - even if they're dead - its the principle of the thing you cant accidentally keep a fish you've accidentally killed (even if its head did "just fall off" :o :P) and then accidentally put it on the BBQ then accidentally place in mouth followed by chewing and accidental swallowing .... its just not in the system. ::) ;)

Adam

Graham_N_Roberts
21-10-2006, 07:53 PM
:-[ :-[ ::) :-? Gosh :o .... I think a few have taken the old tunaman seriously.

;D ;D Good ta see you guys talkin' about doin' the right thing any way.

Poodroo
21-10-2006, 08:00 PM
or you could have dicovered a new species,,,that throws its head off when in danger,,,(much like a lizard throws its tail,,only in reverse)

A new species? Irish laughing fish..they take one look at a SP and think "Yeah right!" then laugh their heads off? ::)

Poodroo

Black_Rat
21-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Black rat. If you havent got the brains to figure out tunaman by now, well there just no hope for you. If you dont like the humorous post I make, well just dont reply to them.I Like to post the funnier sides of life
coz they happen to all of us, but hey, we cant all be super cool like you. ::) :P :P :P

And make sure you use the zebra crossing when getting from one side of the track to the other, we would all hate to see you splatered like bug on a windscreen. Have a nice day ::)

Chopper. Keep up the good work. I laughed my head off when I read that. ;D ;D ;D

signed tunaman >:(

OK Tunaman your intellect has me in a spin, I just can't compete ! i'll ignore your superior logic and you !

Damo.

PS: enjoy your hand ! just dont pull too hard ! :-X you might rip it off ;D

tunaman
21-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Anyway! Back to the real world. Their seems to be a lot more damaged fish out there than I thought. You,ll never know when a small snapper will jump up and try to bite you in the arse.
But just be nice, and let it swim away, we all want them to grow up and be big fish one day. ;)

This tread has taught me a lot. Thank you.

signed tunaman ;)

Grand_Marlin
22-10-2006, 06:44 AM
I wonder if I can keep a pelican as a pet. ;D ;D ;D signed tunaman

A Pelican would be a good choice for you ... their heads don't come off as easy ;D

Cheers

Pete.

ps ... Actually I might have a job for you with your new found head ripping skills ... can I give you an address ?? ;D ;D

webby
22-10-2006, 11:02 AM
Back to the real world you say, i dont think you no what the real world is, you seem to live in a world of fairy tales and fantasy :-?
Oh by the way, One of the dumbest "Thinking Fish" out there and one you could also say was one of the easiest to "Damage" would be Tuna, they's head but a brick wall to get to a bait on the other side, and then bleed to death doing it. :(
regards

tunaman
22-10-2006, 02:13 PM
Who gives a sh$t what you think. #:P :P :P ;D ;D ;D

signed tunaman ;)

tunaman
22-10-2006, 02:31 PM
By for now. From today. #:)

It would seem, that some people are getting upset. Tunaman never wanted that.

signed tunaman

tunaman
23-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Attention Members! Negitive comments can spoil a good thread. So I ask you please dont spoil it for others. A good laugh be can hard to come by these days, and Tunaman doesnt mind sharing some of the crazy things
that happens in the world today. And to be judgemental, really is a ugly
thing.

signed tunaman

NeilD
23-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Hey Tunaman

Time to go sleep it off now

tunaman
23-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Now what can say to that. mmmmmmm. ;D ;D ;D No tunaman leave it alone. I,ll just get in more trouble. ;)

signed tunaman :)

Kendall249
23-10-2006, 11:17 PM
Attention Members! Negitive comments can spoil a good thread. So I ask you please dont spoil it for others. A good laugh be can hard to come by these days, and Tunaman doesnt mind sharing some of the crazy things
that happens in the world today. And to be judgemental, really is a ugly
thing.

signed tunaman

Well said tunaman, I enjoy your posts, so keep the laughs coming hard and fast, Cheers kendall

tunaman
23-10-2006, 11:38 PM
Will do mate. Did I tell you the time, when I................................No I,ll save that one till later. ;D ;D ;D

signed tunaman 8-)

Obi___Wan
24-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Dr. tunaman,
I am back from the deep north to find you are continuing to create fun threads, as i said before, life is to short to be deadly serious so a good laugh is as good as a holiday.
Thanks for keeping us amused with your fun topic posts.
I must say that the fish head comming adrift brings back memories of when i was a kid living in the country and i was rabbiting with my Uncle. We would catch them in traps then dispatch them by holding their two hind legs in one hand and placing your other hand over the back of their heads and a sharp stretch would break their necks. My uncle got me to have a go, and i stretched a bit hard and the head came away from the body. That was the only time it ever happened to me and after that i dispatched thousands of bunnies, they were in plague proportions at the time.
So mate gently goes it and by the way how are the SP Shakes going? not making you crook?

Obi_Wan

tunaman
24-10-2006, 11:16 PM
LMAO. OBI WAN Good to hear from you, I thought a croc got you ;D ;D ;D
But me and the boy have made an agreement.

He,ll be a good boy, and I,ll let him live. ;D ;D ;D

So how was the north trip?

signed tunaman :D

Poodroo
25-10-2006, 06:43 AM
Welcome back Obi_Wan. I was thinking you were taking Tunaman under your wing and teaching him the ways of the force to become a jedi master but it only resulted in fish losing heads as a result of too much "force." :o :D ;D Hope you had a good trip. I am sure we will see a post from you soon. ;)

Poodroo

Obi___Wan
25-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Dr tunaman and Poodro,

I keep well away from those bloody Mud Gecko's, :o

I don't know about the Force being with tunaman it's more likely Bundy Bear ;D

Tell me is the cat still OK? ::)

Good to hear about the truce, that is until the next fish shake or SP sandwich? ;D

Boys i placed a post in the Freshwater Fishing Section around 3 or 4 days ago.

OBI_WAN.

roz
25-10-2006, 10:05 PM
It's all fun and games until the head falls off.

signed roz

tunaman
25-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Yes the cat doing ok. The vet says it needs lots of rest, and the drugs that the vet gave it, well, The cats off its face. It just lays on its back and stare,s at the ceiling fan all day. ;D
And the only thing its missing, is a head ban, and jimmy hendrex playing in the background ;D
You know, I never seen that sp ever again. I think the tapeworm got the sh$ts and has eaten it. ;D

But things are all good. Caught a nice bream tonight, and now just sitting back with my frist bundy and taking it easy.

Gee,s I got a hard life. ;D ;D ;D

signed tunaman

Kendall249
25-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Hi tunaman, don't know whether to congratulate you on your 500 posts or have a go at you for spending so much time on this site that could otherwise be spent fishing ;D ;D ;D. But either way enjoy that polar bear piss ;D, Cheers from capt. smirnoff

tunaman
25-10-2006, 10:33 PM
Yeah your dead set right, I really need to get a life ;D ;D ;D But thanks for the kind words.

signed tunaman 8-)