PDA

View Full Version : Marina Madness

Daniel_Trenfield
24-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Was down the GC on Monday flicking some lures around.

We decided we'd give the vacant marina berths a shot, at Ephraim Island.

It took about 10 seconds for the security guard to come down & tell us we weren't allowed to fish there. Upon asking why, he reckoned he would report us to natural resources & have my boat impounded.

He didn't appreciate us laughing at him so he called down his boss.

He seemed to think their sea bed lease included the water column above it. Do they own the air too????

I'd had enough of the snobby, arrogant attitude extended by these people who drive big boats & live on expensive land fill, so we defied the order & kept on fishing.

We caught a couple of seeetlip on sp & left shortly after wondering "where is the love?"

Dan.

jim_farrell
24-10-2006, 07:49 PM
"where is the love?"

;D ;D ;D

Dodgy_Back
24-10-2006, 08:04 PM
I once asked them to call the water police to get them to prove to me that I can't fish there.

He then just walked away !

I know what you mean , I have had it with them as well.

I would like someone from the GCCC to verify what the security say or let us know that it's all crap. >:(

Mick

Poodroo
24-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Well done. I have to agree with you that these guys seem to use their positions to do some undeserved bullying. It also goes for shopping centre security guards. Next time you are in a shopping centre and spot a security guard have a laugh on me. Normally they are the scrawniest Mr.Puniverse types that carry their arms out as if they are either trying to air out their armpits or pretend their biceps are bigger than Arnie's. Whatever their positions in the security departments it always seems to go to their heads and they have to act the part which in turn makes them look like an imbesile armed with a handheld radio. #;D ;D

Poodroo

cobiaman
24-10-2006, 08:26 PM
i do some work at ephraim island and have seen schools of bream under the wharves up to 50 bream together and some of them pretty bloody big ;D ;D ;D

Dirtysanchez
25-10-2006, 03:31 PM
LoL at Poodroo's comment !! ;D

They do look like they have tennis balls under their armpits at times, or as you say, perhaps just festy BO ! eek ! ::)

Duyz72
25-10-2006, 05:09 PM
I still remember Sovereign and Ephraim all barely being a collection of mangroves off Paradise Point.

So how long you reckon before those landfill mansions fall in to the water? You know it will ;D ;D and of course the wails of "what is the council going to do about it" which will accompany it.

DazSamFishing
25-10-2006, 08:02 PM
so we defied the order & kept on fishing.

Good idea... Well done!

Daz

BR65
25-10-2006, 09:03 PM
Part of "security guard" training is being able to prove that you can carry 2 water melons under each arm whilst looking good

DazSamFishing
25-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Part of "security guard" training is being able to prove that you can carry 2 water melons under each arm whilst looking good

They all must have passed the water melon exam... but I don't know about the 'looking good' part ;D

Great_White
25-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Good on you for telling them what for.

It makes me mad that these rent a cops think that they own and run the place >:( >:( >:(

Peter :)

skales
25-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Be careful there boys , like Centuary cove if is man made harbour they have the rights to evict you from there .
It is only outside the man make harbour [ like coomera river ] they have no rights to make you move as long as you don't tie up to a pontoon.
If you want to know for sure give the harbours and marine board a ring at Southport

DazSamFishing
25-10-2006, 10:33 PM
I actually recall being told to move off when I was fishing around the coomera marina...

I couldn't even drift past without them having a go!

JT
25-10-2006, 10:57 PM
From what I have learned, its the 1994 Land Act that covers what they call inundated land. If the land holder decides to flood the land with water then they legally control the water over that land and can exclude who they like from it. Places like Sanctuary Cove and Hope Island Marinas are a good example of this. If someone builds a jetty or pontoon from their land over the water which is public they can exclude you from their structure but not the water around or under it.

If they have a Seabed Lease then I am pretty sure they can control the water as if it were theirs. Problem is, I can't find anything anywhere to say that the marina at Ephraim is covered under a Seabed lease. As Mick said, be nice if GCCC could confirm it, I think a couple of calls are in order to see what the go is. Funny thing is, when it was just the jetties in place before people and their boats moved in, you could fish the marina no worries, I even had the Security people come down and watch me fish and ask questions about the gear I had :o :o

I'll let you know what I find out, might be a couple of weeks though, I get married tomorrow and then go to Thailand for a couple of weeks 8-) 8-).

Cheers

John

Fat_Chilli
26-10-2006, 12:40 AM
Well done. I have to agree with you that these guys seem to use their positions to do some undeserved bullying. It also goes for shopping centre security guards. Next time you are in a shopping centre and spot a security guard have a laugh on me. Normally they are the scrawniest Mr.Puniverse types that carry their arms out as if they are either trying to air out their armpits or pretend their biceps are bigger than Arnie's. Whatever their positions in the security departments it always seems to go to their heads and they have to act the part which in turn makes them look like an imbesile armed with a handheld radio. #;D ;D

Poodroo

Bloody ridiculas aren't they, I was doing some work at a shopping centre the other day and we needed the Rent-A-Cock (sorry cop #;D) to open an area up for me to inspect. So the clown finally turns up after we stood and watched him window shop and play with his hair for about 5 minutes. As he walked over it wasn't the bad wig under his 'Security' emblazened baseball hat or the death glare that made me crack. It was the fact that this stupid little runt had one of those spring loaded hand/grip strengthen things tucked into his 4 inch wide police belt like a set of hand cuffs, and he was opening and closing his fists like he was the next Bruce Lee...Maybe he was? What a tossa!

finga64
26-10-2006, 08:39 AM

Poodroo

Bloody ridiculas aren't they, I was doing some work at a shopping centre the other day and we needed the Rent-A-Cock (sorry cop #;D) to open an area up for me to inspect. So the clown finally turns up after we stood and watched him window shop and play with his hair for about 5 minutes. As he walked over it wasn't the bad wig under his 'Security' emblazened baseball hat or the death glare that made me crack. It was the fact that this stupid little runt had one of those spring loaded hand/grip strengthen things tucked into his 4 inch wide police belt like a set of hand cuffs, and he was opening and closing his fists like he was the next Bruce Lee...Maybe he was? What a tossa!

Well done fellas :)
Reading that I could not help thinking of that TV program "The Wedge" and the security guy there ;D

Daniel_Trenfield
26-10-2006, 09:29 AM
This security bloke was a real twig. His voice went all squeaky when we started asking him which legislation allowed him to evict us from the area.

We weren't in contact with the pontoons & we stayed away from the moored boats.

I had a fisheries inspector in the boat fishing with us & he saw no problem with our actions.

Maybe he'll get called out to investigate the copmplaint. "remember me a__hole????"

gogecko
26-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Its harbours and marine authority NOT council, that control this. I already know the answer- they do have the right to control the water column (and the air) above the seabed lease, sorry guys.

Ive had runins with security at Sanc Cove and Sov Is, and funny enough met really nice security guards at both who wanna watch me fish and ask questions - it depends whos on shift.

Now I dont go inside Sanc Coves lease, Hope Is marinas lease, or Ephraim Is lease, but I do go within one boatlength of it and anchor up. They just watch me and wave. I even rang the harbourmaster and asked was there a legal limit to how close you could get to the boundary, he said there wasnt.

I prefer to stick to the rules. Id hate to be up on assault charges when Id trespassed. The bridge pylons at Ephraim hold better fish than the marina anyway.

Andrew

donn
26-10-2006, 02:42 PM
the tall-poppy syndrome is obviously alive& well-the reason marinas now exist in so many places is only because people have worked hard to be able to buy their pride & joy & moor it where it is safe.

_Dan_
26-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Having a fish Donn? ;D