PDA

View Full Version : Weird Piscatorial moments

4x4frog
10-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Thought I'd start a thread about weird fishing moments.......

Reading the thread about Newstead House fishing reminded me of living in Maroochydore back in the mid-80's.
I lived in Banyandah Towers for about 12 months and worked up on Beach Rd. I used to walk or cycle to work and pass the tackle shop on Aerodrome Rd on the way.
I called in one lunch hour and bought a nice shiny slice lure of about 4oz. I went back home and put it on the table and proceeded to make lunch. I couldn't resist trying the lure so I grabbed my light surf rod, (one I actually use for bream and whiting from the beach) and had a couple of casts from the jetty by the pool at the towers. Swing back, cast ....plop. yep casts great, feels good on the retrieve...bang what the*7^%...I had hooked a nice 2kg chopper tailor. I dined well that evening let me tell you and to this day, that'd be my strangest fishy moment. Pity I was too poor to own a camera back then because I needed a photo to prove to the boss and my workmates I actually got a fish

JasonT
11-10-2006, 08:08 AM
I had the cr#p scared out of me one night at bribie.
I was anchored up near the mouth of ningi creek and had been sitting there for about an hour. It was well after midnight, and there was no moon. The wind was non-existent and the stillness and quiet was just beautiful..
I was starting to doze, and decided that wouldn't be good, so decided to reach out and splash some water on my face...
I turned in my seat to lean over, and just as I was extending my hand towards the water a turtle surfaced for a breath about a metre away!
Talk about jump! I swear at one point not a single part of my body was touching the boat!

It's a bit freaky when you can hear nothing and see bugger all and something like that happens! :-)

Was able to laugh about it once my heart decided to beat again!

Jason

Daniel_Trenfield
11-10-2006, 08:55 AM
I was flicking poppers on 2kg line at Munna Point bridge recently.

Went for a bit much on a cast & snapped the line, while my trusty $2 popper flew into the sunset.

Ten minutes later, after dark, my mate retreives it for me - He'd hooked it with his treble through one of my split rings.

What are the chances???

TonyOW31
11-10-2006, 07:32 PM
I was fishing at tallebugera creek a few years ago, and hooked a big stingray on light tackle, got it on to the shore, and as well as my line, there was another hook in it, and attatched to the hook was line, rod and reel.
let it go, and walked back downstream to my car with my newly aquired tackle, and my son told me the bloke fishing next to him had his rod dragged in to the creek by a big fish, so i asked the bloke what type of ron n reel it was and sure enough, it was the one that was attatched to the stingray.
Gave it back to him and he was rapt, must have been a hungry fish to take my bait whilst dragging a rod and reel behind it eh?

Loco_Pez
11-10-2006, 07:50 PM
I have a similar story. I was fishing a spot called Julieanne which is a rock fishing spot in the eastern suburbs back in Sydney. I had my 12ft rod & alvey in a rod hole at the edge of the ledge when a big wave came over & then sucked back taking rod & reel with it.

About 2 hours later this guy comes walking along the rocks with my rod & reel. "Oi ! Where'd you get that, it's mine" I yelled & promptly went over & took it off him. He was a bit shocked & said he caught it fishing 200m down the rocks. Fortunately I hadn't given him time to think about refusing to give it back, finders keepers & all so I got my gear back.

Homer_Jay
11-10-2006, 09:52 PM
4X4 Frog..... I was sure that story was heading the way of you not being able to wait to try out your new lure so you cast it from the balcony of banyanda towers..... I just had this image of some guy fishing from the 10th floor..... ;D ;D ;D

DazSamFishing
11-10-2006, 10:02 PM
A couple years back...

I was on holiday with my brother and a few mates... We had just finished a days fishing...

We got some nice fish... and my brother got his PB trev in the Noosa river...

He was quite excited and when we got back up in the noosa resort he lit up a sparkler and threw one from the fourth floor into the river! He went for another... and hit the top dry part of a large palm tree and lit the whole thing on fire... ;D

The resort managers weren't too impressed!

Daz

maxwellson
12-10-2006, 05:38 PM
a few years back a mate lost his specks overboard on a reef south of ballina
went back the next weekend and caught them !!!!!!!
unbelievable.... ;D ;D ;D

Reef_fisher
12-10-2006, 09:02 PM
a mate and i were on the reef, we were only catching those little bait thieves and my mates line went tight, he hauled in a little stripey(on the hook) and about two feet back up the line was a nice coral trout secured with only the line wrapped around his jaw, it was only wrapped around once. only decent fish we caught all day. :o :o

xe
13-10-2006, 09:59 AM
lost a lure in a river and found it about 1km down stream caught on a oyster bout a week later

Loco_Pez
13-10-2006, 08:27 PM
It's not weird but gotta tell ya about my bro in law. Every time we went out rock fishing we would wait till he wasn't looking and yell "Hey, your rod !" & he would run over & pick it up & feel for a bite or strike the imaginary fish. Other times we would pull his line so the ratchet went off & he would do the same only with more excitement. It's amazing how many times you can suck people into this & it makes me feel guilty . . . until the laughing takes over.

imnotoriginal
13-10-2006, 09:23 PM
I just about sh*t myself once when I was fishing. I was standing in shallow water on a calm beach, bait fishing for bream when suddenly a wobbegong swam straight over the top of my feet :o. He actually brushed my legs with the tassle-like threads on the side of his body. I was still for the 2 or 3 seconds it took him to swim over the top of my feet and then i finally remembered to breath again a few seconds later. I know they're hardly a deadly fish, but it scared the life out of me at the time. :-[
Joel

DazSamFishing
14-10-2006, 12:55 AM
Another,

I was casting slugs to a massive school of mack tuna...

I hooked one and another got its tail tangled around the main line...

I thought it was a bloody strange fish the way it was fighting until I found out what had happened...

Daz

DICER
14-10-2006, 02:00 PM
I was snorkelling over at Tangalooma jetty some time ago. Quite a way out I came across a jenny sandcrab with a rather large buck on top, apparently going for it. Well the jenny was half in the sand and didn't really look like much of a blue swimmer, actually on closer inspection it was rather encrusted in algae and had algae coming off it's eyes as well as a barnacle on the shell. Thinking this was rather weird I had to have a closer inspection and prod them. To my amazement they had been caught up in fishing line and they were almost immobile. I had no idea how long they would have been together. Well there was only one thing to do. I freed them. The buck was for dinner that night. In the morning I felt guilty that I had release the poor female which was still kicking, but not in a way it could defend itself out there.

bidkev
14-10-2006, 03:31 PM
First time at Amity pier (only been in Oz 6 months) we were watching a school of what I think were large tuna smashing up the bait. They were leaping from the water and gulls were circling picking up the smashed baitfish. All that ocean and all that sky and a tuna smashes into a gull. The gull dropped lifeless onto the water!

kev

jackash
14-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Fishing for catties in the Brisbane River a few years back wedged my rod in some tree roots and went to help my mate further down the bank, heard a weird splash and returned to find my rod gone. Was a new abu baity and live fibre rod loaded with fireline so i wasnt ooo happy. Tried to wade for it but no luck. 6 hours later we came back out and fished for a while... me now having a cast with my mates rod i hooked into a nice catty, got it in to find it had my hook (from my lost rod) in it but not line attached... good knots ash :-X. Anyhow a few hours later my mate makes the call of last cast. After about 2 minutes he goes yep I'm on, but it aint fighting much, taking his time eventually we figure it aint a fish, only to see his hook come out of the water with some nice new fire line attached.... I got pretty excited. eventually grabbed the line and pulled the whole bloody rod and reel back in. I was ecstatic! Ended up catching a few more fish then heading home.

Shitty_Master
15-10-2006, 12:16 AM
I was fishing in the creek system out the back of my town and I hadn't caught a bloody thing, it was a freezing cold day and it had that crappy light rain. I persisted for some reason and after a few hours of waiting I got a bite bam I hooked a very nice size Yellow Fin Whiting, I just experienced the joy of seeing what fish you had as it comes through the water then out of nowhere a ****en Seagull steals my dinner, and now I always make sure to have a rock handy when I go that spot.

Damn Seagulls

Poodroo
15-10-2006, 08:45 AM
Back in the days before my brother had a boat and we were purely landbased fishermen we picked a horrible day to do some fishing off a jetty at Jacob's Well. The rain came down hard and there was even some thunder in amongst the pelting rain and wind squalls. We often looked at each other and asked each other "Are we mad or what?" The weather must have been pretty nasty because not even the fish were biting for the entire endurance. We decided eventually that yes we were insane and were about to pack it in when my brother noticed that there was quite a bit of weight on the end of his line. When he started to retrieve it he noticed that it was fighing so he knew he had a fish on but the way it was fighting was quite strange. We saw something break the surface of the water and it was like "What the hell?" It was a rod complete with Alvey reel which my brother succeeded in getting onto the jetty. It looked as though it had been in the water for a considerable amount of time but what happened next was quite amazing. On the end of the line of his newly acqired rod and reel outfit was a fish so he continued winding in the line. Up comes a really nice Bream but looking a little under-nourished. My brother goes to take the hook out of his mouth and it was so rusted that it just broke off. This pour fish had been swimming around with a rod and reel for so long that his freedom must have been real close with that rusty hook so we took pitty on our only catch and released him to put some more weight back on. Some fisherman probably has told a story many a time about how a big fish took his rod and reel into the drink off that jetty. ;D To this day I think to myself what the chances are of that every happening again.

Poodroo

angler
15-10-2006, 07:24 PM
i was fishing off magnetic island standing on a rock about 12feet off the water . hooked a fish and was winding it up and felt something pulling at it .
when i looked over the edge i had a coral trout on and its mate was trying to pull it back in by grabing it by the tail.

nanga59
16-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Many years ago the mates and I used to fish at a place called Merry Beach on the south coast of NSW.
There’s a great headland in the area called Snapper Point and on one particular day we were bottom fishing from one of the ledges on the headland. I was fishing with an old Seascape reel and was using a yakka for bait and there was a bit of an on-shore breeze. To cut the story short I ended up with one ugly backlash on one cast and decided to reel in and try and sort out the mess on the rocks. So I attached the still baited hook into a crack in the rocks and started walking backwards peeling out the line as I went. I finally got down to where the tangle was on the reel and started picking at all the loose loops in an attempt to clear the tangle and resume fishing.
All of a sudden I feel the line being tugged at . . . then the line starts to peel off the reel. Whilst this did help slightly with the task of removing the tangle I was staring to think someone had walked through the 50 or so metres of line I had stretched out on the rocks.
Because I still had my head down concentrating on the task at hand I looked up and was about the let fly with a few expletives in the direction of the person or persons walking through the line. To my amazement there was no-one there.
Anyway, by this time I had freed the birds nest and had started to retrieve the line when, bang, I’m on.
The line that was lying across the rock is now shooting skywards with hook and sinker being towed by a bloody seagull.
Now the seagull was not keen on letting go of the yakka that it had just acquired so I gave the rod a good yank. Whole lot of good that did . . . just end up hooking the bloody bird in the beak.
That’s where the real fun began.
The now squawking seagull had attracted a few of it’s mates who all seemed pretty excited about his predicament. This in turn had attracted a few human onlookers who were starting to have a go at me for being cruel to the poor bird. Poor bird nothing . . . he started it.
Well, it was a pretty good fight in the end the seagull taking line only to the won back by me, the angler, although I don’t know if you could call me an angler with a bird on the other end of the line.
After about ten minutes I had the bait thief on the rocks. One of my mates offered to hold the rod, very brave and gallant of him, while I extracted the hook. So after a few more minutes, a few lost feathers and a bit of lost blood (mine) the thief was free. To this day I don’t know what happened to the yakka, whether the thief swallowed it or one of his mates took off with the booty.

Cheers and tight lines to all. Just hoping that the tight lines are the result of fish.

Nanga

hogesTS
16-10-2006, 09:12 PM
lol Nanga I know exactly how you feel.

A few weeks ago was out with a couple of mates and our respective lady friends casting slugs to mackerel when all of a sudden this bloody huge albatross looking bird swooped down and grabbed my halco twisty and took off, hooking itself in the process. So after about 15mins fighting this bloody thing that had a wingspan of about 1.5m I finally got it to the boat, girls screaming, mates pissing themselves laughing. Luckily one of the guys had grown up on a farm his whole life and swiftly grabbed the albatross by the neck while i removed the lure. To make matters even more embarrasing i found out that i had snapped the tip off my rod fighting this bloody bird! >:(
To make matters even worse i somehow managed to hook one guy through the back of his shirt while he was trying to gaff a nice mac that the other had caught. I dont think anyone onboard is going to let me live that trip down for quite awhile :-[ ;D

On another note,
Went out this saturday just gone for a dive, but thought we would cast a few slugs over the reef before we got in. So my first cast (with my newly repaired rod from above) i get hit by a big trout, but the hooks didnt set. So i was left with a whole bunch of slack line in a 25kt wind, which proceeded to wrap itself around the tip of the rod. So the trout decides to have another go at my now stationary lure, snapping the tip off the rod again!!! >:( >:(

Stuff it i thought, im not letting this stop me, so i re-rig my line and go to have another cast, only to realise i have missed the 4th guide :( So off comes the lure and re-rig again, this time the wind has looped the line over the blank >:( Off comes the lure again and re-rig, same thing, line wrapped around the blank! Meanwhile the other 2 guys are having a ball getting smashed by heaps of big trout and GT's :'( SO 4th time lucky i finally get my line rigged and have a cast, get hit first time by a not quite legal trout. So i get it in the boat and call for the pliers. No pliers on board is the call i get back. Of course the trout has hooked itself with all 3 hooks on my slug, so im faced with a mouth full of teeth and no pliers, the best i have is a cotton cray glove. 5 mins later the trout is back in the water and im ready to have another cast, but the other guys have had enough and are gearing up to dive >:( So all i had to show for an hour's fishing was a released undersized trout and a broken rod :'( Although one of my mates did find the slug i was using when i got busted off the first time sitting on the reef about 2 hours later :o

Im pretty sure that Murphy has it in for me everytime i pick up a fishing rod! No doubt ill have more stupid goings-on after next weekend :P

budgebass
16-10-2006, 10:55 PM
My wife and I were fishing the middle sandflats at Golden Beach one morning.
We were having a great time flicking squidgies left right and centre for flatties. We were catching quite a few, and letting a few go.

One of those mornings where it did not matter where you threw you caught a fish. Anways we kept drifting and it got competitive as to whom could cover the most ground.

ANyway my missus lets fly with a half flick over the shoulder behind her, just a that moment a pelican is skimming across the sandflats. The squidgie gets caught at the top of the wing, shoulder and proceeds to continue flying.

Quickest I have ever seen a reel despooled, thankfully enough the line held, the pelican stopped and we were able to retrieve line and squidgie no harm done

Cheers
Budgebass

budgebass
16-10-2006, 11:02 PM
Be careful about what animals you are kind to .....

Had a mate you fished the dams all the time, anyway one morning he is flicking his lure around and a nosy shag gets all too close.

And my mate hooks the shag, anyway this morning he decided to be a good samitarian and be friendly to this shag, so in retrieving the shag to the boat it is squawking and carrying on with its beak snapping.

So to settle the shag down he decides to take his shirt off and quieten down the shag.

All good, shag settles down, he frees the shag, gets his lure back.

Anyway about 15 minutes later after he has put his shirt back on, he starts scratching and itching, he takes his shirt off to see it covered in lice.

It still makes me laugh.........

Cheers
Budgebass

4x4frog
16-10-2006, 11:11 PM
4X4 Frog..... I was sure that story was heading the way of you not being able to wait to try out your new lure so you cast it from the balcony of banyanda towers..... I just had this image of some guy fishing from the 10th floor..... ;D ;D ;D
Ddin't know anyone on the 10th floor, I did know the guy in the Penthouse though and we'd go to the rooftop for a little weed occasionally too ::)

Freeeedom
17-10-2006, 07:53 AM
I like to walk out on the flats beside the Hornibrook Highway on a falling tide in the summertime and flick lures or whitebait around the channel pylons for flathead across the bottom of the tide.
A few years back I was walking back to the car as the tide began to rise and I see something shiny in the sand. I pick it up and it's a complete shell for a large handgun of some sort. I don't know what calibre weapon it was for but it was at least double the diameter of a .22 shell (the only kind I'm familiar with). Then I see another one, and another. In about 5 minutes I've picked up 40 - 50 shells, all complete, for a variety of weapons from small handguns to high velocity rifle ammo, some of it in clips. I handed it in to the Sandgate police station. The copper who took it said that the large handgun ammo was for a 44 magnum. Not sure if he was taking the piss or not.

Cheers Freeeedom

favourite_whiting
17-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Very interesting.
Last year 11-13 of March 2005, I & my friends from fishing club went to
Burnett Heads for fishing competition there.
On 12th of March, we all tried different spots to fishing but no lucks, decided to move other spot. When I prepare mine's, thrown bait in water & put my rod/reel on holder which was near to rocks area. I was chatting with my friends, suddenly my rod/reel went off holder & went into water as we all can see it swam across the big river (it must be bigger stringray). My other friend was about to give me his rod/reel to fishing, I said Im not fishing that spot never again!! Sat in car for awhile. Till those yachts competition was there, we noticed a boat was stopped that area which we were wondering what they doing there then one of my friend saw they picking up rod/reel up, we yelled at them letting them know it belongs to one of us. Really huge thanks to that boat that brought it up to us. Im so glad I got my rod/reel back safely!!!! When we all move to other spot as time soon finished, I had to hold my rod/reel from now on as never again leave alone on the holder.
Happy life of fishing,
favourite_whiting ;)

angler
19-10-2006, 07:19 PM
nanga is that what u call flight fishing

somescott
19-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Fishing in the Bribie Passage chasin some big breambos, anyhow my favourite flick rod disappeared out the back during the session. I tried so hard to hook it up,including using the cast net but no luck so i gave up. In the end i just said to the mates if anyone pulls it up there's a carton for the person that does.

Sure enough in the next 5 minutes, i'm a down a carton and my favourite outfit was back :D

maztez
20-10-2006, 06:30 AM
Was fishing Hardys Creek in the NT years ago ,when I hooked onto quite a decent Barra ;D .At about the same time my fishing buddy Ron announces hes onto one also .Were both playing our catch and after a short while ,I get the barra up to the boat only to see that Rons lure had hooked the o ring on my lure ::) .You know he argued with me that it was his fish .after a couple of vbs we decided to call it a day and proceeded back to camp to clean our catch (7) Ron decides to wash the fish after gutting only to drop it in the deepest part of the creek. :'(
spose its called Karma we both missed out.
cheers Terry

CHRIS_aka_GWH
20-10-2006, 06:57 AM
back in high school (when the air was clean and sex was dirty), we used to fish the QSSSS (Queensland State Secondary Schools Someother'S'word) fishing comp for schoolboys.

The Lonewolf (from these boards) was a reasonable fisherman (still is actually) and won the comp individually for several years straight including the team prize singlehanded. (He's probably hating this - he ain't a big-head)

ANYWAY... in his final year at school he wasn't allowed to compete because his birthday was in Feb. and the comp in Oct. so he was too old. He was though allowed to go as a coach (no rod allowed).

Being a fisherman, he couldn't resist the urge and struck a deal with Graeme (in our team) to go one cast each; Graeme would cast, he'd cast etc.

Nature called mid way thru the day and the wolf retreated to the privacy of the dunes while Graeme took his turn - seeing his chance Graeme lined up for a second cast in a row....

There was a scream from behind "That's my cast you bastard!" as wolf came flying down the beach pulling his pants up and hit Graeme in the small of the back midcast with the a finer flying tackle than you'll see during the tri-nations.

Graeme, wolf and the rod flew into the shallows and a battle to the death took place with the "coach" attempting to drown the team member. I kept fishing - I love fishing and it was a contest ::)

The wolf won the battle and picked the rod up out of the shallows - there was a flathead attached - who said you need to be quiet to catch fish!

In that same trip "coach" wolf spotted a flathead about 20m out with his polarised sunnies. Graeme carefully lined up the cast and rolled his arms over. The pillie landed about 50m further south than where the flattie was. A seagull grabbed the pillie, and Graeme started pulling and jerking the line to get it to release the bait as the gull attempted to fly away. The seagull dropped the bait after almost a minute of pulling to and fro - the pillie flew thru the air and landed ....

right on top of the flathead that took the bait and was caught by Graeme. :-?

its all true ......

seeyainthesurf,
chris

favourite_whiting
20-10-2006, 07:18 AM
Other interesting thing...... ;D
Back to the earlier this year.
That Sunday was packing up & going home......
Two of members from our club..... guess what??? Looking for keys everywhere, everywhere & they relized they forgot their steering lockers keys at home. They had to break the steering lockers out.
They now next time remember their keys :)
We all had great laugh memories of those happenings.
Guess who it was???? Two members from our club, It was young_mind (member of Ausfish) & guy from our club ;D ::) ;D ::) ;D
[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Happy life of fishing,
favourite_whiting ;)
:-X shhhhhh, don't let young_mind know that I told you all about this story ;D

Glenn_Woods
20-10-2006, 10:08 PM
I went fishing with my mate in his boat, and i was feeling mighty hungry. Sun was almost down and i knew we would be there for awhile. We were using salted hearing, as we salt them if we get too many and dont use them. I was putting on another hearing and i thought to my self, these look like sardines. They smell like sardines. WOW, they taste like sardines. I could have eaten the hole bag of bait. My mate almost burlied up for me right there and then ;D.

Woodsy

subzero
21-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Some very interesting stories.

The word Piscatorial got me, didnt know what it meant and for days it kept popping up in my head at work just like one of those annoying musical jingles until It finaly got the better of me and I had to look it up... wonder if I am the only one?

Just another one of the many things Ausfish and it's members have taught me, surely I cant be the only one that didnt know what it meant?

pis[ch8231]ca[ch8231]to[ch8231]ry
Pronunciation[pis-kuh-tawr-ee, -tohr-ee]
–adjective
1. of or pertaining to fishermen or fishing: a piscatory treaty.
2. devoted to or dependent upon fishing: a piscatory people; piscatory birds.
Also, pis[ch8231]ca[ch8231]to[ch8231]ri[ch8231]al
Pronunciation[pis-kuh-tawr-ee-uhl, -tohr-]

[Origin: 1625–35; < L pisc[ch257]t[ch333]rius, equiv. to pisc[ch257](r[ch299]) to fish (see piscator) + -t[ch333]rius -tory1]

American Heritage Dictionary -

1. Of or relating to fish or fishing.
2. Involved in or dependent on fishing.

[From Latin pisctrius, from pisctor, fisherman, from piscr, to fish, from piscis, fish.]
pisca·tori·al·ly adv.

4x4frog
21-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Some very interesting stories.

The word Piscatorial got me, didnt know what it meant and for days it kept popping up in my head at work just like one of those annoying musical jingles until It finaly got the better of me and I had to look it up....
I have to admit to Rex Hunt being partly to blame for the title. I had heard him utter the word a little while back on his show on Foxtel. That wasn't where I first heard it though...that'd be credited to my first boss, Brian up in Maroochydore in the mid-80's. Brian was always imparting little bits of knowledge either work related or not and throwing up big words was a favourite of his. We even had a dictionary on the bookshelves among the reference books in the office.
He was a mad keen angler, mainly game fish and lived, breathed and talked fishing all the time. I can remember talking to people such as Julien Pepperal and Jim O'Brien(O'Brein Sportfishing Boats) back in those days as an apprentice.

disorderly
21-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Fishing out on the reef.Using a handline with a floating pilly(before i could afford a decent rod and reel),line took off,seconds later mates rod also loaded up.Double hook up!our fish however seemed to be following one another as we also seemed to be following one another around the boat.Soon after got colour out wide,.Got it into the boat,40lb spanish with one set of gangs in the mouth and one set in the skin just below the pectoral fin.
# # # # # cheers

jackson_4300
23-10-2006, 07:38 PM
Ive seen this happen several times,

Gone out fishing in the boat, some one has been snapped off or changing rig, anyway all set up, hooks on bait on swivel and sinker, fling it over the side of the boat only to realise that they did not attach it to the mainline ;D

BGG
24-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Many, many moons ago, the boss & I were fishing Yellow Patch for Flatties. We were fishing in water only inches deep, using light surf rods, 8lb mono to a small swivel to a 30lb mono trace and finally a freshly caught small mullet on a 4/0. We were doing pretty well when the boss hooked a really solid fish. In the excitement she got busted off but was back in the action soon after. We'd caught more than enough and decided to have a last cast. Sure enough, she hooked up again. After a very patient fight, I went down to the waters edge to grab the trace and drag a 6 pounder up the beach.
Here's the weird bit. There were 2 complete traces, both my work. Her hook was through the eye of the swivel of the first trace she had lost.
Yes, I bought several lottery tickets but I still work for a living.

4x4frog
24-10-2006, 02:07 PM
So glad i decided to start this topic. Everyday you have a read and a laugh but the best point about it is that you can see it happenning or imagine yourself doing the same.
Jackson your's is one of the funniest though, I haven't done it but it'd be priceless to see the look on anyone's face as they do it ;D

I do remember somehithing I did that was similar...when I was young and learning the ropes as a fisher'. I had my dad's tackle box as I was the custodian of it after he passed a way. I was uo at Boreen Pt, and I'd decided I needed more distance on my casts so i put on this huge surf sinker. The problem arose when I cast the thing out as hard as I could and the mass of the sinker overcame the breaking strain of the line and there was an almighty SNAP as the whole rig went sailing off about halfway to Teewah landing from the jetty at Boreen ;D I learnt a couple of lessons that day

bidkev
24-10-2006, 03:24 PM
OK, I wasn't going to mention this but it refers to my trip in the Pine last week. The number of times i've left the berley pot out! ::)

I had one of those berley cages with the lead lid on the bottom and I tied it off to the handle on my battery box lid. When I got back to the ramp I noticed that there was no lid on the battery box! :o ::) ::) If anyone fishes up a berley cage with a lid attached, from the 4th pillar on the highway bridge...........you can keep it...........it was misshapen anyway from where a Noah had a go at it ;D

Found the battery box strap on the garage floor when I got home ::) ::)

kev

Bewdy
24-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Hi Guys,
I was out scoop net prawning one night at The Entrance channel about 300m from the mouth. the run out tide was flowing quiet quickly. The prawns were coming through spasmotically but i was getting my share. Suddenly out of the blue arrived two other prawners (who didn't speak the same language) decked out with all the brand new equipment. They stood about 1.0m away from me and became highly excited everytime a prawn came past. I became oblivious to them after a short time. I heard a big splash and turned around to see one of them leaning into the deep part of the channel. Immediately the fellows waders filled up and the current grab hold of him and wisked him away towards the mouth of the ocean. I chased after him for about 50m only for him to be taken quicker than i could run through knee deep water. Luckily on this night the professional prawners were out and had strung there nets right accross the channel. The guy got caught in the professionals net and was retrieved fairly quickly. With a few bows of the head in the direction of the professional prawners he was re united with his friend. I think that night the professional caught 90 kg of prawns, 1 japanese, 1 car battery, 1 halogen under water light, and a scoop net with 10 prawns in it.

favourite_whiting
25-10-2006, 06:50 AM
[smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] Hello all,
[smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] Keep it up [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Really love reading those interesting stories!!!
[smiley=laola.gif] [smiley=laola.gif]

Happy life of fishing,
favourite_whiting ;)

GCBrett
25-10-2006, 07:31 AM
Fishing for flatties in the tinnie, but in pretty shallow (less than 1m) water over a sandy bottom. Somehow got snagged. Couldn't figure it out - can see the bottom and there's nothing there, just sand. Tugging away, not budging an inch, so figure I'll just get out and retrieve my lure. Feet hit the bottom, but doesn't feel quite right and next thing I know the floor rises and a 5-6ft wide bloody stingray takes off from under my feet.

Thats when I discovered teleportation. Somehow I was on the other side of the tinnie in the blink of an eye, and back in it in another blink. Beam me up! Very amusing for all concerned, even I had to laugh.

4x4frog
25-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Fishing for flatties in the tinnie, but in pretty shallow (less than 1m) water over a sandy bottom. Somehow got snagged. Couldn't figure it out - can see the bottom and there's nothing there, just sand. Tugging away, not budging an inch, so figure I'll just get out and retrieve my lure. #Feet hit the bottom, but doesn't feel quite right and next thing I know the floor rises and a 5-6ft wide bloody stingray takes off from under my feet.

Thats when I discovered teleportation. Somehow I was on the other side of the tinnie in the blink of an eye, and back in it in another blink. #Beam me up! Very amusing for all concerned, even I had to laugh.
Damm it mate, in light of the 3 recent brushes with these creatures here in NZ and the USA you are one lucky dude...did you buy a casket ticket on the strenght of it?

GCBrett
25-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Not the first one of stood on - did it at Lake Cootharaba when I was a kid. Just goes to show how unlucky you have to be to get nailed, I suppose.

jackson_4300
26-10-2006, 05:09 PM
Few years ago now, when I had no boat,
Had hired a boat with my dad and an uncle, not a big boat and also not fast but did the job in the way of getting us to a fishing spot. Anyway we were motoring along, i was facing the back just watching the scenery and i see a little tinny with 2 blokes who really really like their food, now the clearance they had from the water with all their gear plus them in the boat wouldn’t have been 5 cm.
They decided that we were going to slow, so they went to overtake us, they went over our wake and straight down. :o
All their stuff went every where, esky’s floating them screaming. Well i was just sitting there in shock having watched the whole thing happen, i looked like this - :o
Yea so after we helped retrieve their stuff, they got in another boat who had seen what happened and came over to lend a hand, we went off for our initial purpose (fishing)
Cant remember if we got anything that day but on the way back there was a crane and some divers attempting to retrieve the sunken tinny, couldn’t help but chuckle to myself ;D

Nico.d.R
26-10-2006, 08:52 PM
when i was about 18 i was working on a trawler (from shorncliffe) for a while . I always had a rod on board but never really used it unless we were ancored . The reel was a small game reel that i got real cheap from a mate and had not used it much . After asking the skipper to go to morton about 50 times he one day said the magic words "lets go to morton".
So we did a 1/2 hour shot to get some bait and burly and headed over when we got to the shipping chanel i could see heaps of schools of tuna spred out as far as i could see . so i grabed my rod threw a chopper on the three gang and lowerd the rod tip at the back of the trawler to start feeding line out .
Sounds all good BUT i didnt set the drag yet (it was locked) and soon as my bait hit the water a tuna snaped me off , so i went and grabed a drink and re rigged in the time i did that we went through about 5 patches of tuna .
2nd attempt Set the drag droped in my bait and whack im on it ran out that much line that it looked like my line was parralell to the water , i finally got it in put it on top off the sorting tray had a look at it , nice 10kg long fin tuna .....with my first rig in its gob . out of hundreds of tuna i got the same one twice .

tight lines
nico

DaneCross
27-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Great topic. I've got a couple... We were holidaying on Moreton many a year ago and did the swim across from Tangas to the wrecks to do some snorkelling. Anyway, we ended up walking around on one of the wrecks and, in the hull, contained in of one of the wrecks was a wahoo/spaniard/big-ass spottie (one of these - it was about 10yrs ago, long before I was familiar with these piscatorial bad-boys). It had obviously come in on a large tide and become stuck in the hull/section of one of the wrecks. So, as you do, we went back for a fishing line & bait (as if a big pelagic - of some description - is going to take a bait while contained in a 5x5m swimming pool). We returned equipped with handline, probably 80lb, gang hooks and bait (of which I can't remember) and dropped it in front of this beast which was doing laps of the pool... next thing, BANG, it takes it! The fight was short lived as it did a record breaking lap around the pool wrapping us around a piece of rusted wreck. That was it for us, time to retire for another day. Next day we come back to see if it had got out on the overnight high tide. Much to our pleasure, it hadn't and was still doing laps. After succumbing to its power the day before we let it be while we tried to invent ways to turn it into that night's dinner. Fortunately for the unfortunate fish we came up with nothing. Next day we returned to an empty pool - either someone had done what we couldn't, or it had got out on the high tide...

Good times...

DC

DaneCross
27-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Forgot my 2nd story... 2004 Flathead Classic, 30kn Northerlies, so we retreat to the Nerang River to find a likely spot. After a good while concentrating on a nice little bank I hook something. It pulls drag. I'm thinking 90cm+ mother-of-all-flathead... anyway the fight is life-less and in the end up comes a G'Loomis rod and Shimano Curado reel - a $500+ combo (at the time)... happy days ;D

DC

DaneCross
27-10-2006, 09:21 PM
Ok, one more... ;D
Fishing Moreton Island, Tailor season, after dark.. the Tailor had been 'on' and we'd got a few, anyway, the fish had all of a sudden gone off the chew. Standing in knee-deep water, full moon, wave comes in, goes out, theres a 4ft+ shark screwing around on dry sand, next wave comes in, goes out, shark gone... thats when we stopped fishing ;D

Keep 'em coming,

Dane

favourite_whiting
27-10-2006, 09:41 PM
:o Oh my gosh!! Lucky nothing happened to any of you all.
Did you all get tailors there??
Happy life of fishing,
favourite_whiting ;)