PDA

View Full Version : What's it mean to be Green?

GCBrett
25-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Been having a think about all of the comments that get posted, in any number of threads, bagging "greenies". Its got me a bit confused. I reckon I might be one. This could be a bit like coming out of the closet!

I love fishing, its pretty much all I want to do when I get a spare moment, but, I really love fishing in a pristine environment, I love the feeling of releasing a mature breeder back to the water, I'd be more than happy to see more, sensible, scientifically-based limits put on all forms of fishing. Sounds pretty green to me.

Makes me wonder who this mysterious group, the greenies, really are. At times, it seems a bit like George W. and little Johnny blaming all the worlds woes and the erosion of civil liberties on "terrorism". Convenient, can't argue against something that you can't define. Annoys me a bit when the editor of a certain popular Qld fishing mag regularly bashes greenies in his editorial, when perhaps more than a few of his readers might feel that they are "green" themselves.

To me "green" means sustainable, and I reckon the vast majority of anglers fit into this category - the bottom line is that we all want our kids to enjoy the same oppurtunities that we do - to fish in the same clean waters, with the same chance of catching a nice fish, for a feed or just for the thrill.

Of course, on any issue there will be extremists, just hate to see everyone tarred with the same brush. Seems to me that many of the anti-green comments are based on rumour, misinformation and scaremongering.

Could be wrong, of course! I'm sure someone will let me know!

finga64
25-10-2006, 09:30 AM
I'm a greeny by your definition GCBrett and I'm proud of it, just not an extremist ;)
I'd guess most here are greenies by your definition. We want to be able to fish forever and wish the same for our successive generations.
The same as most successful farmers. They have to look after their livelyhoods to the best of their abilities and knowledge. Otherwise they go broke and have to eat SAO's and vegemite.

As usual, a few "extremists" get the majority of people trying to do the right thing a bad name.

JasonT
25-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Have to agree there Brett.
If caring about our fishing habitats labels me a greenie,
then label away :-)
To be honest I couldn't care if they called me John Howard so long as in doing so it raised recognition of the issues facing our fisheries .

Hang on.... um..... (thinking!.......)

Nah even being called john howard wouldn't deter me :-)

JT

Jim_Tait
25-10-2006, 11:23 AM
I'm with you GC,

I've always been annoyed at how the term 'greenie' gets used as a deogratory term that tars all with the same brush. #I think it is intentionally divisive (divided we fall etc..) as many people that could come together as one on nature conservation issues get sidetracked by the concern - that although I care about such and such ...I'm not a greenie!!

The term only really arose in the early eighties as a term used by the conservative media to describie protesters at the Franklin Dam and Daintree Road blockade (I was at the latter). When I was a kid a 'greenie' was something you did in your hanky, and conservationists (not preservationists) were those that were concerned that nature being utilised sustainably and being conserved for future generations.

These days all sorts get called greenies - animal liberationists etc .. many of which have little to do with nature conservation. #I think the best thing we could do is to is to proudly claim the term - say 'Yep I'm a greenie - I want nauture to be here for my kids, but I'm not an extreemist, animal liberationist etc..We should also pull up media commentators including fishing writers who think that they are speaking on behalf of all fishers when thay lay into the greenies for this that or the other. #By fishers rightfully claiming their conservationist / greenie leanings we can better alienate the extreemists that serve to bring down the good name of fishing and cause of nature conservation! God knows the earth needs it!

regards - Jim

el_carpo
25-10-2006, 12:00 PM
Why voluntarily lump yourself into a man-made and defined category in the first place? ;) You shouldn't want to be called or think of yourself as a "greenie", a "meenie" or "banana-fana-fofini" (whatever the heck that is ;D). Just be yourself. That way, you can think however you want and not fret about being labelled, neatly packaged or defined by anyone. Too much categorizing going on in the world.

I don't understand.

As far as the George W and John Howard terrorism stuff goes..... kinda off topic, not that I care;).

and by the way, by your definition, I'd be a greenie too-- by my definition, I'm just me.

GCBrett
25-10-2006, 12:21 PM
I think that's one of the points I'm making, El Carpo, as Jim says, even the fishing media uses this term to lump a whole lot of people (all different individuals) under some banner that implies a whole lot of negative things without actually stating what they are. And at the same time implies that you can't fish and be environmentally conscious at the same time, because "greenies" are the enemy of the recreational fisherman.

While I'm on my soapbox (I'm on holidays - must be getting bored!), another thing that gets on my nerves is the vague intentions attributed to certain "groups" (ie greenies want all fishing banned in Moreton Bay), without any indication of where this comes from - if these statements are made, I for one would like to see a quote or a reference to a document or something (anything) to back these statements up - who said it, where and when? Otherwise its worthless making the statements in the first place - not exactly constructive.

By the way, the reference to George W./terrorism was just to highlight the way words (language) can be used to cloud an issue and hide facts, rather than inform (which is surely what language is all about?)

Getting a bit philosophical in my old age!

el_carpo
25-10-2006, 12:30 PM
;D Better philisophical, than senile like me. ;D 31 and I'm already losing my marbles! ;D ;D ;D

Sorry, I misinturpretted what you meant.

Duyz72
25-10-2006, 02:51 PM
I am a capitalist hippie! (and no I don't mean growing and selling that stuff either!)

Not only do I think there should be a socially responsible, eco-friendly conservation based approach to ALL industry, I also recognise the need and desire to make a bucket load of cash while doing it!

This is where I sit, there is no need to destroy a resource (whether it is natural or human) for the short term gains. That term Corporate Responsibility is not just for the mega companies, it is for any business.

Great_White
25-10-2006, 03:20 PM
GC, I agree with what you are saying, where the true line get's drawn in the sand IMHO is a " Greenie will be against catching any fish. They claim it's cruel, it hurts the fish etc , etc

They are to the extreme of you , I and the good people on this site. I can live with managing catches with size and bag limits but where I start to wind up is in closing off parts of the bay.

I love to fish and want my kids their kids and so on to enjoy catching them in the future.

Peter #:)

GCBrett
25-10-2006, 04:00 PM
As was mentioned above, there's no real connection between nature conservation and animal welfare - can't see any government banning such an important (economically and socially) industry as fishing on cruelty grounds. This is one point where its easy to cloud the issues.

Re: Moreton Bay (although this wasn't why I started the thread) - one credible "green" opinion that I did read was from Professor Hugh Possingham from the University of Queensland - a man with an international reputation for ecological research, particularly in Marine Parks (such as GBR and Moreton Bay). His opinion is that 5% of the Bay should be closed to fishing, in line with Marine Parks throughout the world (currently 0.5% in MB). The areas closed should be "representative" of the ecosystems within the Park - so 5% of each defined area (whatever they may be - I'm not an expert, but I would guess 5% of mangrove systems, 5% of seagrass beds etc etc)

To me, this doesn't seem like too bad a compromise to ensure the integrity of Moreton Bay into the future. I get just as big a buzz from seeing a dugong, turtles, osprey, dolphins, sharks etc when I'm fishing the Bay, as I do from catching fish (well, almost!). If it takes closing down 5% to fishing now to ensure healthy fish stocks and all the rest into the future, then bring it on!

As long as they don't close down MY secret flattie spot, of course! ;)

Duyz72
25-10-2006, 05:00 PM
Of course lol :P

PinHead
25-10-2006, 07:49 PM
conservation is fine but the biggest "growth" industy is the "environmentally friendly" industry.
Shops trying to give their customers a warm and fuzzy feeling that they are actively assisting in helping the environment. eg Bunnings do not give plastic bags at the checkouts...why?..to be EF?
or to save some money. Have a look at all the polystyrene and plastic packaging on some of the goods they sell..hardly EF. Coles and Woolies slowly going to be rid of plastic bags..why? to be EF or save some bucks..go and buy some meat from them..all well presented on styrene trays and wrapped in plastic.

Another example in the industry I am in..ban R12 and other refrigerants...bring in some new EF friendly refrigerants...make all workers in the industry pay for a license to use refrigerants...make all companies in the industry pay for a license to buy the refrigerants. But wait...anyone can go to a retailer and buy a split system and guess what...they are all precharged with refrigerant..so someone that thinks they are a handyman tries to install the system..lets out some refrigerant..so much for being EF...wil lthe Govt. stop them importing these pre-charged..not yet they haven't. Wait until the big hue and cry when someone kills themselves installing a split system with R410A in it and does not know exactly what they are doing...a piece of copper pipe letting go at around 500psi is sure going to make one hell of a mess.

Conservation is great as long as it is done for the right reason and not just for financial gain.

hungry6
25-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Definitions of

Greenies are extremist, who associated themself with the enviroments with agenda of reversing the advance of human being and trying to return us to neanderthal lifetsyle at all cost, although, it is mankind ability, that has allowed empowered them with high living standard, education and communications.

Enviromental conservationist are ppls which the majority of us falls into, who has accept the facts, that human being has made detrimental impact to the planets, and are finding ways to reduce and reverse the damage through our intelligents, whilst maintaining a high living standard for all those involve.

oddbudman
25-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Well put GCBrett.

Its seems either you are with us or you are with them these days.

oddbudman

tunaman
25-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Is kurmet the frog asking this Question ;D ;D ;D I think theirs a little
green in all of us.

signed tunaman

GCBrett
26-10-2006, 12:12 AM
I was trying to remember that Kermit song about being green, but couldn't remember what it was!

GCBrett
26-10-2006, 02:15 AM
By the way...I was trying to "rescue" this frog the other day, and its head fell off... ::)

PinHead
26-10-2006, 03:59 AM
If that is a native frog then you are liable for a fine of $10000 for even touching it.

choppa
26-10-2006, 05:12 AM
By the way...I was trying to "rescue" this frog the other day, and its head fell off... ::)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Darryl
26-10-2006, 06:17 AM
The kermit the frog song would be the Rainbow Connection wouldn't it? :-?

Not that i used to watch the muppets of course. ::) ;D

Great_White
26-10-2006, 07:42 AM
Bet you know it word for word too Cresty ;D ;D ;D

Peter ;)

Duyz72
26-10-2006, 10:09 AM
The lovers, the dreamers and Cresty . . . . . ;D ;D ;D

GCBrett
26-10-2006, 10:25 AM
No, no...I've found it - Kermit sings "Its Not Easy Being Green" - link below.

Ah, the memories!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riN46TZYTyk

Darryl
26-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Cut it out you lot lmao ;D ;D ;D ;D

PinHead
26-10-2006, 01:33 PM
OMG Darryl..I would not have believed it !!!!!

Darryl
26-10-2006, 08:03 PM
Righto i see weekend release is back up and running again. Or did you finally get parole Greg? ::) ;D ;D ;D

PinHead
26-10-2006, 08:06 PM
LOL Darryl..one day on the weekend release...gotta finish the painting this saturday..out on the boat in sunday..all the following weekend in Rocky working.

webby
26-10-2006, 08:17 PM
I've seen plenty at sea going green ;D
regards

cuzzamundi
27-10-2006, 12:51 PM
some great points there pinhead - so very true!

cuzza

BigE
28-10-2006, 08:42 PM
huggen trees from the comfort of your lougne room sure makes ya feel warm n fuzzy............... But then it rains when your camping & your cold and wet ........ #### it burn that sucker N keep my ass warm!

It's narture survival of the fittest ..... or those that own chainsaws. lol

BigE