PDA

View Full Version : cancer warning on reel box

black_bass
29-10-2006, 12:49 PM
G'Day I bought a new Daiwa Laguna 500 on ebay for about 1/3 of rrp,very happy with the reel.So I turn the box over and find this sticker on the bottom.
Load Warning for USA(california)Residents Only.
WARNING.This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects and other reproductive harm.
WHAT THE ? :-[
So I read the 2 instuction papers that came with the reel,not one word on any chemicals.
At 45 I will not be having anymore kids.but am thinking of getting one of these reel for my 15 yo son for xmas.Now I'm a bit worried about getting one for my boy.
Cheers

bidkev
29-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Very stringent legislation in California. To the best of my knowledge they have to label any item that on burning gives off carcinogens. Mercury even have to label their engines in this way if marketed in california because to some extent all exhaust fumes are carcinogenic.

Unless you're gonna set fire to the reel, I wouldn't worry ::) ;D

kev

Big_unit
29-10-2006, 01:04 PM
The same warning label is on lures, soft plastics and some other fishing gear. It goes on to say that because the product contains lead which is known to the state of California to cause cancer. It used to worry me but Ive been told by a Doctor that you must ingest a lot of it to cause a problem.

Cheers
James

aussiefool
29-10-2006, 02:29 PM
Load Warning for USA(california)Residents Only.
WARNING.This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects and other reproductive harm.
WHAT THE ? :-[

Mate, unless your going to be living in the state of Califonia your've got nothing to worry about ......USA(california)Residents Only

84mick
29-10-2006, 06:33 PM
And dont forget california banned VEGIMITE!!!! So to hell with them!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
I brought a Daiwa Ondine not to long ago and it had the same sticker on it.

Mick.

fish_outta_water
30-10-2006, 05:59 AM
yeh its usualy the lead they use to balance the weight of the spinnig parts in the reel , whats this about vegemite been banned in cali? are they mad ..... mmmmm scratch that , with arnie for govenor nothing surprises me

Poodroo
30-10-2006, 06:47 AM
I think the problem in the good ol' U.S.of A is that they lead the world in how to litigate. You can't so much as sneeze over there without someone blaming you for their ill health and suing you as a result. As a result companies are going overboard to protect themselves against litigation by labelling everything regardless of how minimal the chances would be of contracting cancer by way of using the product. Scary thing is Australia is becoming more like America day by day. Just look at our insurance premiums compared to 10 years ago. :-/ Personally I would disregard the warning on the box of that reel and enjoy catching "the big one" on it. ;)

Poodroo

Dirtysanchez
30-10-2006, 09:24 AM
Yep, definitely lead, I work in the electronics industry and a lot of the stuff we import has that stupid label on it and causes similar reactions amongst the Aussie customer base >:(

Interestingly they are banning the use of lead in electronics, have done so in Europe this year, parts of Asia next year and inevitably the USA will be next, then in about 10 years, Aus.. makes it hard to solder stuff when you don't have lead in the business..

Funny part is, it is in an effort to minimise the amount of harmful sh1t that is going into landfill, yet you can still put a lead sinker on a line, throw it into any river or ocean anywhere in the world and snag it and bust it off.

As one of my customers said, there would be more lead in the waters off of sandgate pier than in all electronic equipment globbally, so whats the big deal ?

darebrizzyriver
30-10-2006, 09:52 AM
I dont think there's too much to worry about there. but it gets you thinking.... :-/

el_carpo
30-10-2006, 11:07 AM
That warning appears on everything over here. There are also instructions on the bottles of shampoo---rinse, lather, and repeat. If you followed that exactly, you would be caught in a never ending loop. A sudsy hell. [smiley=devil.gif] At least your hair would be clean;D

Probably just covering their backsides from the avalanche of IDIOTIC lawsuits being filed all the time.

Don't worry about it at all black bass.

Poodroo
30-10-2006, 02:01 PM
That warning appears on everything over here. #There are also instructions on the bottles of shampoo---rinse, lather, and repeat. #If you followed that exactly, you would be caught in a never ending loop. #A sudsy hell. [smiley=devil.gif] #At least your hair would be clean;D

Probably just covering their backsides from the avalanche of IDIOTIC lawsuits being filed all the time.

Don't worry about it at all black bass. #

You're a funny man el_carpo. Now you have me wondering about how many people do that? May have a lot to do with our water shortage. ;D ;D

Poodroo

el_carpo
30-10-2006, 04:00 PM
It's easy to get a laugh with all the material I have to work with. Don't get me wrong, I love my country but "ay-ay-ay!" that's Spanish for "hay caramba" which is Spanish for "good grief!" I think :-?. (I don't speak Spanish.)

I'm going to try to brush my teeth now. I may be in trouble; the instructions on the back of the toothpaste tube got blurred in what must have been a freak mishap at the factory. Last time, I tried to improvise and stabbed myself in the eye with my toothbrush. I'll look really hard at the smudge and see if I can make out the directions. I hope it didn't say apply paste, lather and repeat! :o I'll have to wash my hair and brush my teeth at the same time forever! There's a mess!

P.S. Wish me luck in my lawsuit against the toothpaste company for my unfortunate eye wound! It hurts so much! Do you think I should wear a neck brace to court? Maybe some crutches? Can't hurt right?

Stay sane,

EC

leeshy_louie
30-10-2006, 04:07 PM
im scared!!!

el_carpo
30-10-2006, 04:09 PM
So am I. I think. I'll have to ask my lawer.

Poodroo
30-10-2006, 04:37 PM
im scared!!!

Lol leeshy_louie.. you have every right to be. ;) I know this question is hijacking this thread a bit but how did you go with your boat sale?

And el_carpo, I'd like to wish you luck mate in court as I think you will need it. Just a suggestion, I would leave the neckbrace and crutches at home and perhaps lodge a toothbrush sideways in your throat for authenticity. ;D ;D ;D

Poodroo

el_carpo
30-10-2006, 05:03 PM
" And el_carpo, I'd like to wish you luck mate in court as I think you will need it. Just a suggestion, I would leave the neckbrace and crutches at home and perhaps lodge a toothbrush sideways in your throat for authenticity."

Poodroo"

Now THAT'S the kind of legal advice I need! You want to be my lawer Poodroo? With your brains and my pain thresh-hold, we'll make millions! ;D

I've got a stapler that doesn't seem safe. Some of the paint came off near the front. "Cha-ching!" $$$$$$$$ ;D ;D ;D

...and yesterday, my ketchup bottle made an embarrassing noise while I tried applying ketchup to my hamburger. That ought to be worth 50 million in emotional suffering at least! I was giggled at! Someone has to pay!

Frivilous lawsuits! The wave of the future!

God (or a judge with common sense) save us! ::)

Poodroo
30-10-2006, 06:02 PM
You're cracking me up el_carpo. ;D ;D Love that sense of humour. 8-)
I don't even want to talk about my kid's whoopie cushion. :D :D
I am afraid however that under the circumstances I will have to decline your more than generous offer to be your lawyer on the grounds that the humourless judge may well end up suing us for damages when his face cracks from the resulting fits of laughter when he sees the pair of us in action. ;D

Poodroo

seafarer3
31-10-2006, 02:04 PM
WOW...... :o
Now i know,i to was scared.. :'(
My son picked up a bag of plastic's with this same message... :-?
Feel abit more comfortable now i know.. ::)
Thank's everyboby ;)

Cheers
Scott

tunaman
31-10-2006, 03:12 PM
In no way would a product be released to the pubic that is a known to
cause cancer. Some company,s put warning label,s on their product,s
to safeguard them self,s form getting sued in the unlikely case that someone points the finger that them.

Because of the amount of company,s being sued by people looking for a fast buck or someone or something to blame for their condition.

Fishing product,s are used by the young and old, and in noway would
they risk their reputation by making a cancer causing item.

All product,s that enter,s Australia, are tested. Its Australian law.

The government them self,s also dont wont to be sued either.

But all carcinogenic material must be labeled with a warning label.

That way they all have their ass covered.

signed tunaman

PinHead
31-10-2006, 03:41 PM
to safeguard them self,s form getting sued in the unlikely case that someone points the finger that them.

Because of the amount of company,s being sued by people looking for a fast buck or someone or something to blame for their condition.

signed tunaman

tuna..try smokes..R134A..just to name 2....they do knowingly sell products that cause cancer

tunaman
31-10-2006, 04:04 PM
Pinhead. Its so hard for me to understand how the Australian government can sleep at night,s , even thou we know the taxes form smokes,
pays for a lot of things. On one hand the government needs them, and on the other hand its costing them in health costs.

Its a dammed if you dont stop it, and its a dammed if you do stop it.

But if you do stop the imports of tobacco and make it illegal, then the black market will bring them in, and government lose again.

There no easy answer to that one.

Poodroo
31-10-2006, 04:26 PM

signed tunaman

Um what about cigarettes tunaman? Everybody knows that it is a proven fact they cause cancer but the product is still being sold. Also with regards to carcinogenic products I know for a fact that there are companies overseas that are paid big money to relabel and hide the carcinogenic properties of that product to allow them to pass Australia's strict laws on importation. Prime example is any product that has a frothing agent in it(used to be called Laurel Sulphate) which is literally everything from shampoo to hand soaps was exposed to the public as being linked to causing cancer and there was a big stink kicked up about it several years ago. Well rather than lose a lot of money by losing sales on all these products they simply renamed the carcenogenic ingredient and now call it "Sodium Laureth Sulphate." There is nothing different about it and it is still a carsenogenic product but do we hear anything of it now? Answer is No. Where did I get the information? I used to go to college and did a health and nutrition course and we covered in depth what products have carcinogens in it and the more we delved the more information we uncovered including independent studies done in America which named such companies whos only reason for existing was to make products saleable in Australia by renaming ingredients. Don't get me started on Margarine. That's another long post. :-X

Poodroo

tunaman
31-10-2006, 04:41 PM
But where,s the concrete proof. Margarine has been around for decades.
Sure, we know tobacco is a cancer cause agent, but no-one can pinpoint what does and what doesnt.

With your logic, we should all be dead. And its just not the case.
DNA I think has a lot to do with it.

I will stop there. I have a lot more to come.

signed tunaman :)

tunaman
31-10-2006, 05:25 PM
I have washed my hair for forty years, and bomb my body with every so call carcinogenic known to man, and so have millions of others.

And I smoke, and I drink, and I eat fast food by the ton. I am in great shape I think what you put into your body, you must take it out with exercise and good living. I do eat good foods, but again with your logic healthy eating has these bad components in also. I believe in having a balance with all that you do in life. Body fat stores these poisons in the fat cells of your body, and if you allow one,s self to become over weight, well take it from me. You,ll have no-one to blame but your self, but if you think we are being poisoned, why are their 6 billion people still alive, with only 5% of the worlds population down with cancer.
Would you agree that it might be natural, with a small % that are DNA
corrupted.
With nature, the laws are clear, and the human species allows the sick to bred and to bred again. This causes floors in our gene sequence.

If you have the gene that causes cancer to develop, there nothing on this earth that will stop it.

Poodroo
31-10-2006, 05:27 PM
I know it is a depressing thought tunaman but it is so true. I know Frank who is the lecturer at The Brisbane College of Applied Science in the Anatomy and Physiology department would not be spinning a false yarn about. Did you know what colour margarine is before they do their things to it to make it look and taste like butter? It is black. :o The proof about the carsinogenic products in which we all use day by day is the increasing rate of cancer over the years. I lost #father, a cousin aged 24 to a brain tumor, a grandmother to bone cancer, a close friend to liver cancer, and a dentist to colon cancer. How prevelent is it now compared to 20 years ago? Will see if I can dig up some concrete proof for you if you want me to. #;)

Poodroo

Here is one link to start with.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F0CEED9113CF936A35750C0A9659582 60&sec=health&pagewanted=print

PinHead
31-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Poodroo...years back they just did not have such technical names for it..people still contracted it and died from it..it is just that they have the equipment now to diagnose better and detect it a lot better...items such as MRI's are a big assistance.

Tuna..u may think you are in great shape now but one day you may feel a bit off...go to your doctor..he sends you off for a few tests and from that day your life changes completely...your entire quality of life is altered...things you used to do you can no longer do...simple taks become major dramas...surgery..some chemo perhaps...as you slowly but surely waste away until you are finally rid of the pain when you die...it is a horrendous disease.

No one has proven that all cancers are genetic ..only a few types.

Do you think we should start selective breeding of humans now ? I think you touched on this a while back. I would love to be enlightened as to how you would choose someone with a cancer gene, when it cannot be determined, to prevent them from breeding...then what do we do...neuter them..a tatto on them perhaps or just put them down instantly?

Poodroo
31-10-2006, 05:49 PM
More interesting info.
http://www.truthpublishing.com/PoisonintheFood.html
http://www.newstarget.com/010095.html
http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/fitness/transfats.html <---- this is a must read

Poodroo

tunaman
31-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Pinhead you know thats not the ansewer. How it is, well you cant change it now. Like I said. There is no concrete proof that the food we eat has a direct link to cancer. But if Iam wrong please tell me. and then I,ll know what not to buy at the shops.

Brett1907
31-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Extra Chewing Gum!!!

The sweetener in it has been known to cause cancer in laboratory animals. SERIOUSLY.

I saw the warning label on a packet when I was there in 1990.

Brett

Herm
31-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Do you think we should start selective breeding of humans now ? I think you touched on this a while back. I would love to be enlightened as to how you would choose someone with a cancer gene, when it cannot be determined, to prevent them from breeding...then what do we do...neuter them..a tatto on them perhaps or just put them down instantly?

Hey there PinHead! # ;)

Show me to the start of the line!!! :D #I would be stuffed - I have had a cervical issue already, my Nanna died after her secondary bowel, liver, stomach cancer that followed her breast cancer :'( and my Auntie on the other side of the family has had breast cancer second and a melonoma for her first cancer! #:( #Please make it a nice tattoo ;)

Atleast the rellies on Pete's side don't seem to be affected as much by this insidious disease!

I don't know that I would WANT to know if I have the cancer gene! :-? #and just sit around waiting for it to rear its ugle head! With all of the advances in technology being able to diagnose early, I would hope that things might be caught in time! #

All we can do is try and live to the best that we can with everything in moderation!

And to all of those people who say - "You have more chance of being hit by a bus" #Well - the Auntie mentioned above did get hit by a bus! #:o on her way to chemo! :( :( :o #So unlucky - the poor woman! #Yuu have to be so unhappy with that!

:)Janine

PinHead
31-10-2006, 06:26 PM
tuna..and what direct link is there that it is genetic...how about you donate some money to the cancer fund so that they can find out these things and maybe find a cure or prevention.

Poodroo
31-10-2006, 06:28 PM
Extra Chewing Gum!!!

The sweetener in it has been known to cause cancer in laboratory animals. #SERIOUSLY.

I saw the warning label on a packet when I was there in 1990.

Brett

That's another topic I covered in college too. Artificial sweeteners and yes it is very true. :-/

Poodroo

Great_White
31-10-2006, 08:33 PM
Black Bass, I have a Daiwa Primax and it had the same warning sticker, I took it off and threw it in the bin where it belongs #;D ;D ;D

There is no way a company can have harmful elements in a reel, but then again that's what James Hardie thought about Asbestos in Fibro :( :( :(

Peter #:)

tunaman
31-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Pinhead I,ll get to your Question in a moment. But just to ad one more thing, some scientist believe that there,s a trigger that sets it off.
And they still cant explain why or what it is.
Human,s in our day to day lives, expose our self's to hundred,s of chemicals every year, and in some cases thousands, take a smoker for instance, 4000 thousand plus in that alone. Some in the places we work, and some with the food we eat.
I really think what the true trigger is, is stress. I think stress is the one
thats doing it.
Tests have proven happy people live longer. Other test have proven,
that lab animals put under stress produce cancer faster, and other side affects.
These tests can not be dismissed. Stress I think is a killer. And it also could be the trigger.
I have study this and a lot more.

Back to your Question Pinhead. YES I should give more than I allready give, and so should everyone else.
Iam so sadden to hear good people that never hurt anyone, become stricken by this disease.
and It does affect us all.

signed tunaman

Sea-Dog
02-11-2006, 08:43 AM
What about free radicals??

They should all be locked away. :P

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/antioxid.htm

John_R
02-11-2006, 12:59 PM
This is what I know. I could be wrong:

Nobody knows what causes most cancers. Theories are:

1. Chemicals - no substance has been properly scientifically proven to cause any cancer (junk science aside).
2. Radiation - not proven but since it messes up DNA a likely contender.
3. Viruses - Scientifically proven to cause cervical cancer and another DNA wrecker.
4. Genetic disposition - nobody knows what pack of genetic cards they were handed. #DNA already wrecked.

Only in the last 20 years have they started getting any accuracy with diagnosis so the prevalance statistics are deeply flawed. Current diagnosis is still pretty dodgy with only about 1 in 20 deaths being autopsied - the others just ascribed to smoking. #(not one actual #death has ever been proven to be 100% due to smoking - the figures used by the health nazis are statistically generated)

So if you are going to get cancer, it is most likely either genetic disposition or a virus and you can do bugger all about either one of them.

Therefore best to try to enjoy the life you have while you have it, while remembering that cancer affects less than 5% of the population so plan for the future as well.

Stress may also play a part Tunaman. Stress has increased a lot because people no longer smoke and relax.

As for the moronic California EPA, they tested Vegemite by giving mice the equivalent of a human consuming hundreds of tons and declared it caused cancer. A classic junk science undertaking.

Too much of anything is bad, smokes, alcohol, food, water, air - the dose makes the poison.

Enjoy life but in moderation.

Regards

John