PDA

View Full Version : What have you learnt ?

silver19
05-11-2006, 12:23 PM
I`ve been a member for just over a month now and today clicked on the Event Calender for the first time and got a list of members having a birthday today.the ages ranged from 16 to 66 and I thought what a pool of experience and knowledge that represents no wonder most questions get answered. I`m 61 and have been boating and fishing amateur and pro most of my life but still have learned plenty from reading posts here. I learned about top water luring / gear selection / camping spots etc the list goes on from all forums and I look forward to it going on . two things I have come to know here your never to old to learn and you must have a sense of humor to handle all the little things fishing and boating throws your way.

Thanks All John

PS. one thing does stand out to me from the posts that fisher folk are becoming more and more environmentally aware as time goes on. great to see :)

tunaman
05-11-2006, 04:18 PM
:)

seatime
05-11-2006, 04:41 PM
It is great to see the more sustainable approach to fishing isn't it silver19. I live in hope all fisho's adopt a similar mentality. Otherwise, those twits that are coloured with a mix of blue and yellow will have the ammo to support their arguments.

The wealth of knowledge available on this site is awesome to behold. Some may not always come across the right way with their particular jem of wisdom, but the heart's in the right place (prolly talking about myself there).

I'd had a break from fishing for a number of years before moving back to the sunny state 3 yrs ago, and desperately needed to reconnect. Ausfish has provided much inspiration and learning for me, and now I hardly remember missing the fishing I missed. Does that make sense?

Anyway, everyday is a learning experience, as I'm on here most days, a bit too much, but that's another one of my addictive personality traits.
See you've got me rambling incessantly again.

I gotta go,,,,,,,,,,

regards
Steve.

silver19
05-11-2006, 05:04 PM
well Dr Tunaman if it`s taken to last night to find out not to drink to much I`d would say you must be a slow learner or it must of been a hell of a night as for using a calculator I don`t catch that many fish so still count on fingers :-[

cheers john

imnotoriginal
05-11-2006, 05:31 PM
I've learned heaps, and it's really helped me get stuck into my fishing. I did fish every year at Moreton Island, but after spending a bit of time on the site i felt a bit more comfortable and confident to try a few more spots and fish more often. Now I try and fish everytime I come up to the Sunshine Coast, as well as the annual trips to Moreton (less than 4 weeks til the first one!). There's some great people on this site, and I think as a community it can be really helpful for fisherman of all levels. I'm yet to attend a M&G, but I'd say that's just another way of learning even more...
Joel

el_carpo
05-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Not being from your country, I've learned tons not only about fishing but also about camping, your environment, some political issues, different fishing equipment, beer ;) etc.

It's especially cool to see the pictures you guys and gals post. It's like looking at a different world. All the plants and animals are new to me.

I've never seen an ocean (except from a plane window once ::)) and now I can not only name some saltwater fish, but I would know how to catch them.

It's been fun hanging out with you guys.

JasonT
06-11-2006, 07:06 AM
Sounds like you're getting ready to leave El_Carpo!

Hope not... I might need a couch in Chicago one day!

:-)

JT

marlinqld
06-11-2006, 07:09 AM
I learnt alot on Saturday from T1 about SP"s. He is like all ausfishers.......... willing to share knowledge and experience with others. thats what I like about Ausfish. Everyone has a willingness to share and teach and learn.

Keep it up Ausfishers..... ;D

Mike

Poodroo
06-11-2006, 07:11 AM
I have learned so much in the year that I have been with Ausfish. Since I have joined I have managed a PB snapper at 65cms. Not that long ago catching a great fish like that was only a dream. Applying knowledge into practise is what it is all about and I have also learned to be humble amongst the pros as there are some people on here with a lot more experience and knowledge than me. I feel privileged to be able to be here with everyone. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge!

Poodroo

DHM77
06-11-2006, 09:19 AM
I was an interested observer for a long time - took me a while to join up and register. In my opinion its a great site - the amount of knowledge that is shared / given is very impressive. Being on the site has changed my style of fishing completely, used to only use bait, now I am only really interested in fishing with SP's and hard bodies. I can't remember the last time I actually bought any bait. The results that I am getting when I do go fishing have also improved, I can only think that is a result of the knowledge gained from others off the site. I agree totally with the catch and release comments, no problem with people getting a feed, but the number of people now limiting their catch can only be good for the future of fishing for all of us.

bidkev
06-11-2006, 02:33 PM
I haven't learned much it seems :-[ Despite the best efforts of fellow ausfishers to introduce me to the finer points of fishing, I still catch vermin.................. even when I use placcies ;D

kev

JasonT
06-11-2006, 02:39 PM
lol...
;D ;D ;D
Gotta admit Kev.... That's the first time I've heard of a catty being caught on an SP!

JT

shayned
06-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Yeh Kevvy, but now you're catching vermin using a bit of finnesse and style. ;) ;D While we're at it Kev, lets face facts if someone was going work out the technique for plastics on salt water catties it was going to be your good self. Dont forget to post the first eel and shovel nose when you get that sorted. :)

aussiefool
06-11-2006, 03:58 PM
I've leant that there is an Events button :-[

bidkev
06-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Yeh Kevvy, but now you're catching vermin using a bit of finnesse and style. ;) ;D While we're at it Kev, lets face facts if someone was going work out the technique for plastics on salt water catties it was going to be your good self. Dont forget to post the first eel and shovel nose when you get that sorted. :)

;D LOL Shayne ;D The way things are going (deckie's shifts and weather) my next report will likely be from Frazer Island in Dec. All I've got to do is convince myself to leave bait and cast net behind...............imagine that :o ::) Kingies, pelagics and big lizards abound and I'll probably report the first catty from there ::) ;D

kev

Camo
06-11-2006, 05:15 PM

Me too. I didn't notice it until now. Hoodathunkit.

Poodroo
06-11-2006, 05:25 PM

Me too. I didn't notice it until now. #Hoodathunkit.

There a who's in the what now? Well I'll be. There is too. ;D ;D

Poodroo