PDA

View Full Version : Rain, wonderful rain....

Sea-Dog
04-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Looks like the prayers are working ::)

Here is the latest radar image showing heavy falls over the catchment areas.

Marge, the rains are here, the rains are here! :P

CHRIS_aka_GWH
04-11-2006, 01:51 PM
is that what that wet stuff is - my kids have been asking about it ! :-?

snapperm8
04-11-2006, 03:19 PM
;D ;D haha, yer there mayb rain over the catchment areas but is there gonna be enough rainfull to do anything?

hussy
04-11-2006, 03:21 PM
i suppose those praying for rain expect the credit for this rain?i suppose this is the proof they needed, that he does exist,why not next task cure all the sick children, then for a hat trick rid the world of aids.hubby

Bill_Klein
04-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Bugga them hubby we need more fish

Lone_Wolf
04-11-2006, 03:51 PM
I put a storm water tank in about a month ago. I cannot believe how much water it catches off the roof that used to go straight into the pit.

LW

frankj
04-11-2006, 03:56 PM
How much of it is going straight down the drain?

I can't help but think if our Goverment organisations got with it and started being a bit more creative, instead of talk talk talk, much of this rain could have been collected. Instaed most will flow straight out to sea.

I wonder how much it would cost and how much employment it would create to simply supply all households with a 10000 litre rainwater tank free of charge. Sounds silly, but I bet it's a damn sight cheaper than some of the current solutions, it's simple and effective in that the catchment area is huge.

Frank

blaze
04-11-2006, 04:00 PM
castchment off a roof is for every 1m x 1m section of roof, with a mil of rain, there be a litre of water. Now image how many litres of water runs down the drain in a city with a population of 100 000.
we need to use our resources better
cheers
blaze

Sea-Dog
04-11-2006, 04:18 PM
i suppose those praying for rain expect the credit for this rain?i suppose this is the proof they needed, that he does exist,why not next task cure all the sick children, then for a hat trick rid the world of aids.hubby

Even if that happened, you'd still put it down to coincidence Hubby!

Slider
04-11-2006, 04:31 PM
My tank hasn't been below 12 inches from the top for over 2 years now.
No town water in Teewah either.

Amazing how we've been doing ok around Noosa but elsewhere is parched.

The water table is constantly overflowing onto the beach and the dams are near full.

Lindsay

hussy
04-11-2006, 04:40 PM

thats for sure,maybe santa can cure the kids

Scalem
04-11-2006, 05:55 PM

Geez hubby,

what's wrong with the world? The answer is ME. Ask yourself that question and you might have a more positive outlook on things. ;)It's nice to see the rain. One good thing about the rain is that it happened while I could not go fishing today anyway. ;)

Scalem

Alex9797
04-11-2006, 09:45 PM
frankj,

my thoughts exactly,

I wonder if anyone has done a cost analysis. It would be interesting to crunch the figures. My biggest concern is the the rain seems to fall closer to the coast rather than in the western catchment areas. Surely it makes sense for the city of brisbane to become its own catchment area and not rely on water from gympie etc.

cheers

Alex

backhoe
04-11-2006, 10:23 PM
Put a tank in last week. Overflowing alreadyand have hosed off all the paved areas that haven't been cleaned for over 12 months too. Can't wait for someone to have a go at me for using the hose so I can ask them what they have done to save water. ;D

PinHead
05-11-2006, 04:13 AM
All you people that now have water tanks...just wait..sooner or later some boffin will come up with some so called scientific research stating that all the water caught in thew tanks has reduced the stormwater flow into the bay therefore affecting the flushing effect of the estuary. Then you will all have to rip them out...LOL

MyEscape
05-11-2006, 05:53 AM
Pinhead,

That point is not as silly as it first sounds. THere's a lot said about damming all the river and questions asked about piping the Burdekin dam water south, as due to the catchment it overflows a lot. But,,,, all of our fishing relies on water flowing out to sea through our estuary systems.

Stop that water flowing out and you've got long term problems.

Steve

Freeeedom
05-11-2006, 07:13 AM

Geez hubby,

what's wrong with the world? #The answer is ME. #Ask yourself that question and you might have a more positive outlook on things. #;)It's nice to see the rain. #One good thing about the rain is that it happened while I could not go fishing today anyway. ;)

Scalem

There's no better time to pray for rain than when a large rain influence is just entering Queensland from the west! Becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Who gets the credit - God or the satellites?
Cheers Freeeedom

backhoe
05-11-2006, 07:32 AM
Pinhead,

That point is not as silly as it first sounds. THere's a lot said about damming all the river and questions asked about piping the Burdekin dam water south, as due to the catchment it overflows a lot. But,,,, all of our fishing relies on water flowing out to sea through our estuary systems.

Stop that water flowing out and you've got long term problems.

Steve

Have thought about that effect myself too but don't really know how valid it is given that all the water ends up going to wasteeventually anyway. It's really just the runoff rate that would be changed. i.e. the rivers will be getting aslightly less flushout when it rains due to the captured water but it will all end up there eventuallly.
Who knows what the nett effect would be??

Scalem
05-11-2006, 09:07 AM

Geez hubby,

what's wrong with the world? #The answer is ME. #Ask yourself that question and you might have a more positive outlook on things. #;)It's nice to see the rain. #One good thing about the rain is that it happened while I could not go fishing today anyway. ;)

Scalem

There's no better time to pray for rain than when a large rain influence is #just entering Queensland from the west! Becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Who gets the credit - God or the satellites?
Cheers #Freeeedom

Freedom, does this mean the farmers have only been praying for the last week or so?? I don't think so!! ::) ::) Anyway, let's call a neautral ground, this forum is not the place to push any agendas, I am sure we all agree, it's great to see some liquid sunshine. :D :D

Freeeedom
05-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Amen to that!
Cheers Freeeedom

4x4frog
05-11-2006, 05:13 PM
All you people that now have water tanks...just wait..sooner or later some boffin will come up with some so called scientific research stating that all the water caught in thew tanks has reduced the stormwater flow into the bay therefore affecting the flushing effect of the estuary. Then you will all have to rip them out...LOL
I am waiting for the levy that will be dreamt up to cover the cost of the govt not egtting $$ for excess water usage...you Mr Jones have saved 1000 litres this year that's $100 thanks. #:o ;D ;D ;DWouldn't put it past them....it was the council that told us we didn't need tanks 40 years ago, now we need them again and if we always had them we'd not be in this mess......fools, bofins and public servant tools, who needs them

Great_White
06-11-2006, 09:41 PM
It's bucketing down as I am typing in Birkdale, Sea Dog you are doing better in your forecasts than the BOM. ;D ;D ;D

Peter :)

sharkboy7
07-11-2006, 09:01 AM
yeah ive been swimmin in the rain before