PDA

View Full Version : Fishing deaths

Big_unit
02-11-2006, 12:44 PM
It started out as an ordinary fishing trip with five men. It ended with three of them presumed dead and a reminder of how alcohol and violence is destroying Aboriginal Australia.

On Wednesday last week, Keith Woody, Mark Alimankinni, Solomon Nawuba, Fidelis Tipiloura, and Mark Puautjimi, left in a dinghy to fish the waters between Darwin and the Tiwi Islands. They made several fatal mistakes.

Firstly, they took no lifejackets. Secondly, they took a carton of beer each and proceeded to drink at a rapid rate.
Around eight o'clock that night, their boat capsized in the rough conditions about 90 metres from the beach. Alimankinni and Puautjimi managed to swim through crocodile, shark and box jellyfish infested waters to safety. Despite a massive air and sea search, Woody, Tipiloura and Nawuba haven’t been seen since.

How these events unfolded is almost as disturbing as the thought of the nine children who have lost their fathers. After recuperating in hospital, survivor Mark Alimankinni told a story of drinking, violence, and three lives unnecessarily lost.

Like many aborigines, he spoke quietly and shyly with minimal eye contact. But his confronting honesty highlighted how many of his people continue to pay the ultimate price for alcohol abuse.

In high winds and almost two metre swells, Alimankinni says their dinghy was being flooded with water. The skipper of the boat, Keith Woody, told him to unscrew the bungs and drain the water. Alimankinni says he did this.

He claims the skipper was meant to remind him when to drain the boat for the second time, but says Woody forgot. He also said Woody, Tipiloura and Nawuba had drunk almost a carton of beer each, and that he and Puautjimi had also been drinking.

With the boat rapidly taking on water, Alimankinni says he reached for some flares, but never made it because Woody punched him in the face.

"He (Woody) sort of blamed me for the water that came in. He came and whacked me across the right cheek. I had to hit him back because I felt pain when he hit me."

The ensuing fight caused the boat to overturn, plunging the men into the ocean. Alimankinni and Puautjimi started swimming towards a lighthouse on the shore. The others were so drunk, he said, they were unable to swim and opted to stay with the boat.

Alimankinni and Puautjimi slept the night in some mangroves and were rescued the next morning, while several days later their boat was found washed up on a reef.

There were no signs of life and the search for the three remaining fishermen was later called off.

Many from the men's community of Nguiu are holding to a slim hope the trio may have survived, however police say it looks increasingly likely they perished in the unforgiving Territory wilderness.

While it remains open to speculation whether lifejackets would have saved the three men, it appears almost certain a clear head could have. The boat had several jerry cans the men could have used to help them stay afloat, and Woody and Tipiloura were strong swimmers. It is reasonable to presume that if sober, they could have swum to safety.

Instead, it seems alcohol has claimed three more indigenous lives.

fish2eat
02-11-2006, 12:59 PM
That's a great story and report big unit, and very sad.

I spent a few years in Darwin in the early eighty's, spent a fair bit of time in some aboriginal communities and obviously things have'nt improved since. I have seen men beat their wives to pulp with lumps of timber for trying to get them home from drinking sessions, and kids going without food. I saw a man get a taxi 90km to Katherine in 1982 spending $110 to buy one carton of grog.....who has the answers without appearing to take them back to the old days when they had no rights???? :'(

murf
02-11-2006, 01:00 PM
>:( :( :'( :-/
Good report
gets you thinking in all directions
most of all how fragile a human life is at sea
Murf

JasonT
02-11-2006, 02:14 PM
A sad event, but a timely reminder with the festive season fast approaching.

If I didn't already have a "no alcohol while on the water" policy (applies to me only - guests are welcome to enjoy in moderation) I'd be seriously considering it, prevention being better than a cure and all!
Then again, most of the time, most of my mates are pretty responsible.

Worth remembering though, that a tragic event like that can happen to anyone anywhere anytime.
A clear head and able body might be the safety equipment that saves your life!

JT

hussy
02-11-2006, 02:26 PM
i have a no drink on the water for anyone in my boat . i want to know that if there is any trouble, i can count on all aboard to have clear heads ./ i,m not going to drown trying to save a pissy crewmember, if they want to drink ,there is plenty of time to do it at the end of the fishing session . hubby

Poodroo
02-11-2006, 04:45 PM
Always carry water and sometimes softdrinks when fishing but never drink anything alcoholic. Sad that alcohol contributed to the loss of these men. Such a waste of human life.

Poodroo

Homer_Jay
02-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Yep, I have a no alcohol rule on my boat if out at night or if out in open water. You just never know when things can go wrong. A clear head may be the difference between life and death.

The_Walrus
02-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Same here, no alcohol on board.

Water, cordial and a couple of pepsymax.

In winter add coffe, tea if necessary and maybe a few cuppa-soups.

Beers are fine at home after the clean up.

Luc

Jim_Byrne
02-11-2006, 10:40 PM
Safety is the no. 1 priority but, on a full day out I always have a few light or mid strength beers on board.

But I would never have more than one or two, just enough to get a few good yarns going!

Cheers

Jim

iank
03-11-2006, 07:41 AM
No grog rule in my boat but plenty of water/cordial.
Cheers Ian

Fishin_Dan
03-11-2006, 07:47 AM
Ian - With all the sugar in that cordial you wouldn't have to worry about crocs.... You'd be going a hundred mil an hour! ;D

I don't mind either way with boats if there are a few drinks or none at all. However a few is only a few. A case of beer each is nuts! Our xmas party is going to be sailing Moreton Bay with work, and even though I will drink, I know I will hold back a little as I'm on a boat...

Sandman
03-11-2006, 08:14 AM
James happens more often than not , i have seen alot of this in many coastal communities. Happened to be on a similar trip one year back in 94 with my father of Rabaul , those boys can drink but certainly end up being a little silly with water and grog - they dont mix- fourtunatly for that trip myself and friend had not been drinking so one of us could drive the boat.
I am with Ian i also tend to have a no grog policy on my boat although it has been broken but i ensure i remain grog free as it tends to make me sea sick anyways.
Good story -sad event and i hope people think before they drive as its not only their own lives they are putting at risk.
Ps also effects your fishing one trip all the guys on the boat got stuck into the beer i was the one catching all the fish while the others had trouble distigushing between bites and boat movement .

Mick

Green
03-11-2006, 08:44 AM
High winds, 2mtr. swells, 5 in a dinghy(how big?)out 90mtrs. from shore at 8pm at night and the cause of this tragedy rests entirely on what? A carton of beer/alchohol. ????????? #:-X

favourite_whiting
03-11-2006, 09:37 AM
Very sad to read the story :(

staddie_local
03-11-2006, 09:43 AM
well beer and any form of transport dont mix. ;)

Fishing_Widow
03-11-2006, 12:49 PM
Unfortunately Big_Unit, it happens more often than not up in the Territory and not just in boats. There are some in the Aboriginal population up there that have trouble with alcohol and the violence and unnecessary deaths happen in the street. The majority of the road deaths in the Territory are from Aboriginals and alcohol or tourists who have no idea on driving in the NT conditions. Normally sitting/laying on the road, stepping out in front of cars or falling out the back of utes.

Unfortunately it is a part of life up there. The government and the elders try and get their people to change but people will only change if they are willing - force will only send them further down the wrong track. When we left last year they were trying to enforce some new anti-itinerant laws. It seemed to be working as it had the backing of the elders.

But we must put a positive spin on this story - if it saves one life because someone refuses to take alcohol on a boat then their deaths have not been in vain.

Regards,
Naomi

bidkev
03-11-2006, 01:32 PM
High winds, 2mtr. swells, 5 in a dinghy(how big?)out 90mtrs. from shore at 8pm at night and the cause of this tragedy rests entirely on what? A carton of beer/alchohol. ????????? :-X

Sure does................if they hadn't've been pissed they may have considered the other factors and not gone.

I know of many a pro trawlerman back in the UK who didn't have a drink before sailing but who still came to grief 'cause their judgement was clouded by the grog they'd had the night before. It was almost a "social condition" amongst some, that if you were a pro trawlerman you'd be expected to be pissed at sea. Sadly, the drink problem in UK fishing communities back in the 50's/60's/70's was almost as bad as it is here in the indigenous population and even got worse in some communities, after the licence buybacks.

kev

chicken
03-11-2006, 05:15 PM
A very sad story indeed

Dogbream
03-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Always room for a victorian bitters consumed responsibly of course, a sad state of affairs when it gets out of control.

cheers dog

Green
03-11-2006, 11:52 PM
"Sure does................if they hadn't've been pissed they may have considered the other factors and not gone."
Sorry Kingtin, i only read they took the grog with them, didn't realise they were smashed before setting sail.
If i checked the conditions before going out and it says, shitty seas, and i'm sober, i'd probably say why bother getting knocked around, especially in the dark.
But if the conditions were the same and i was pissed, i'd be left wondering how to get the boat to the water, let alone getting out.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
04-11-2006, 09:18 AM
A $40 bilge pump might have made all the difference as well.

Dave

Tairua
06-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Very sad story. Loss of life at sea is generally not an accident. It is most often the consequence of poor or clouded decisions, not keeping a look out, not knowing your boat, poor maintenance and inexperience. I agree with the no alcohol policy and this is what my boat has. Alcohol causes dehydration. It is dehydration that gives you a hangover - not the drink. Alcohol and the sun combined can be every effective in poor decision making. Take along water, cordial, coffee or tea. I have a beer after wasshing down the boat.
Safe Boating,
Tairua

sharkboy7
07-11-2006, 10:47 AM
drinking and fishing is fun and when its night time its better cause it has that element of danger