PDA

View Full Version : Yabbies please

aftonville
07-11-2006, 08:34 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any yabbies for sale in the Brisbane area or know of anyone that i could get any off. Im not worried if they are big or small, I have a new dam & keen to get some in there. Cheers hatchman77@hotmail.com

markpeta
08-11-2006, 05:18 AM
Head down to the dam shouldn't be to hard to find. A cake of soap is good to get them.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
08-11-2006, 07:08 AM
a cake of soap - you learn something new everyday

Feral
08-11-2006, 07:12 AM
If your after red claw, most pet shops sell them (as "feeder's" for bigger pets!).

gunna
08-11-2006, 09:14 AM
Cake of soap is good for fresh water shrimp traps. Never heard of it working for fresh water yabbies ???

JasonT
08-11-2006, 09:37 AM
Where abouts are you aftonville?
I may be able to help depending on distance etc!
Won't sell them, but happy to give you some from the dams on my parents property.
I don't think there's any DPI issues with moving them, but I'll check!

JT

Dirtysanchez
08-11-2006, 12:00 PM
How does a cake of soap work ? are they backpacker yabies & as soon as they sense soap in the water they evacuate & you just pick them up from the shore line ?

;D ;D ;D >:( :D

aftonville
08-11-2006, 04:41 PM
Gday JT

the dam is in Samford, anywhere near u ?

cheers

Dave

gunna
08-11-2006, 04:42 PM
How does a cake of soap work ? #are they backpacker yabies & as soon as they sense soap in the water they evacuate & you just pick them up from the shore line ?

;D ;D ;D >:( :D

We used to get a sugar bag, hold the mouth open with a couple sticks, chuck in a cake of soap and drop in the water. Soap was probably a better bait than meat. If you don't believe it - take a bath sometime in an inland stream. Lather yourself up good and see what gets bitten by the little buggers ;D ;D ;D.

tunaman
08-11-2006, 05:30 PM
LMAO 8-) 8-) 8-)

signed tunaman

Poodroo
08-11-2006, 07:45 PM
I used to work for a shop called "Pet Country" on Kingston road at Slacks Creek. They were always in abundant supplies of the Redclaw Crayfish when I worked there. Open the yellow pages and give them a call to see if they still have them. You may be able to do a deal to buy an entire bag of them at a good price if you pick them up when they receive a shipment. Ask for Phil or Janine or Dean.

Poodroo

aftonville
08-11-2006, 09:15 PM
cheers poodroo

Graham_N_Roberts
08-11-2006, 09:19 PM
I thought this discussion group reflected the dedication of its members to foster the sport of fishing, to promote looking after fish stocks, to promote saving habitat, and to look after the environment.

Now we have people promoting the use of soap (a proven polutant) as a bait. :-?

:-[ :-[ I don't believe it.

Freeeedom
09-11-2006, 06:57 AM
There are plenty of redclaw in the North Pine Dam. I've seen petshops asking $20 for a medium size redclaw, so that would be your last resort. You would need to check the DPI site to find out whether it's legal to transport them since (although we love 'em) they are an introduced species in SE Qld and may be regarded as a feral pest. The local freshwater crayfish (Cherax destructor) is a burrower and will gradually weaken the earth walls of farm dams, so don't go for them. The redclaw is a non-burrower and so is safe in small dams.
Cheers Freeeedom

tunaman
09-11-2006, 08:13 AM
CQ freshie. Good point. I dont think thats such a good idea. Now people
will think its allright to use soap for bait.
It should say. This method used was in the pasted, today you will be fined.

signed tunaman :)

staddie_local
09-11-2006, 08:28 AM
yep redclaw/ blueclaw you can find them in pet stores. i brought mine in wynum( sorry sbout the spelliong but im bad a spelling that place).. ;)
les