PDA

View Full Version : LAZY AUSFISHERS

Loco_Pez
07-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Guys, just interested in your opinions.

There are a real lot of questions posted on this site. Many times the answers can be found by searching previous topics or alternatively the info can just as easily be found elsewhere on the internet or by making a phone call, asking the local bait/tackle shop guy or whatever. Seems to me there are some lazy types that couldn't be bothered & just post a new topic & let all you guys do the work for them.

Some are also too lazy to do a bit of prospecting & find themselves some fishing spots but I know this topic has been covered before.

I suggest to these guys, if you're reading this that you get of your backside & do a bit of work yourself. You'll get more satisfaction out of it.

LP

goat
07-11-2006, 04:43 PM
maybe some people are too busy fishing instead of spending all day infront of the computer.
sorry for opening a can of worms
goat

Scalem
07-11-2006, 04:58 PM
LP

I think you had better be more specific to save yourself a little aggro from many, because you have generalized, not forgetting that this is a forum which is open to discussion to all and sundry about anything, the experienced fisherman, the not so experienced fisherman, the politcally astute, and the not so politcally astute, the new members who are still learning how to post up a photo, and the experienced who even know how to post up video ( I have yet to learn that one ;) ;))

Does it do you any harm seeing such individuals who have obviously not done their homework? Easy solution is not to reply! ;) I see no harm in posts lacking the knowledge. Besides, try and think of something specifically to do with fishing that has NEVER been covered in this forum before?? And if it has been, how many times is acceptable before you consider it should have been discovered in the search button before placing a post? ::) ::)

I'd leave it alone.

Scalem

StevenM
07-11-2006, 04:58 PM
I agree that people should use the search function but the problem is using the right search criteria.

Cheers

Steven

TheSaint
07-11-2006, 05:05 PM
maybe it's when you do a search nothing comes up on the key words you are looking for..

or you don't know what makes a good spot as you new to the fishing..

or as goat said you have a life!

BR65
07-11-2006, 05:09 PM
I ask questions and thanks to all those who take the time and effort to acknowledge and inform me.

I would consider myself an experienced fisho, I know and use the search function, but at times the best way to get the most up to date or relevant info is to ask.

Brian

Lone_Wolf
07-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Guys, just interested in your opinions.

There are a real lot of questions posted on this site. Many times the answers can be found by searching previous topics or alternatively the info can just as easily be found elsewhere on the internet or by making a phone call, asking the local bait/tackle shop guy or whatever. Seems to me there are some lazy types that couldn't be bothered & just post a new topic & let all you guys do the work for them.

Some are also too lazy to do a bit of prospecting & find themselves some fishing spots but I know this topic has been covered before.

I suggest to these guys, if you're reading this that you get of your backside & do a bit of work yourself. You'll get more satisfaction out of it.

LP

If you prefer "search functions" use them. That is your preference on how to use this site.

Others may chose to ask. Judging by the success of the site, many more prefer to answer.

Live and let live!

LW

Poodroo
07-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Being on Ausfish is the same to me as being in a room full of friends all with the same interests in the same hobby. When here it is great to share and discuss things about the hobby. When out and about if I happen to be at a tackle shop and have a question I will ask at the time of the visit. Here we have a bit of a laugh and learn from each other in the same process and if that's being lazy then I am a lazy slob. #>:(

Poodroo

Pitsta
07-11-2006, 05:54 PM
I'm probably one of the for mention people . But like they say this is the best fishing /forum ever ! And with out questions there's no answers & sometimes the questions may be the same , but the answer may be different , So ask away i say ......... ;)

Mark

Lucky_Phill
07-11-2006, 06:02 PM
I've been here since Jesus played fullback for the Israelites and have see the same questions asked over and over again, but.........as BR65 and Pitsta wrote, up to date info and relevant and different answers are always on the cards.

A lot of you Ausfishers, when answering questions post up links etc, and that is great, as the person then has another avenue to source next time they have a question.

Life is a learning curve........ask away. But point taken Loco Pez.

Cheers Phill

Dignity
07-11-2006, 06:21 PM
I've been here since Jesus played fullback for the Israelites and have see the same questions asked over and over again, but.........as BR65 #and Pitsta wrote, #up to date info and relevant and different answers are always on the cards.

A lot of you Ausfishers, when answering questions post up links etc, and that is great, as the person then has another avenue to source next time they have a question.

Life is a learning curve........ask away. #But point taken Loco Pez.

Cheers #Phill

bin there, done that - always fresh new answers come up and like others no matter how hard I search can not find the right criteria until some one posts an old thread and then think"dumbo - should have thought of that"

LP, don't think you will find too many lazy ones on this site.

Sam

PinHead
07-11-2006, 06:23 PM
I've been here since Jesus played fullback for the Israelites boy, doesn't it show and have see the same questions asked over and over again, but.........as BR65 #and Pitsta wrote, #up to date info and relevant and different answers are always on the cards.

Life is a learning curve........ask away. #But point taken Loco Pez.

Cheers #Phill

Isn't that is what forums for..to ask and discuss...so what if it has been raised previously..there may be a new member who has a better or easier way to achieve the desired resultthat the question asks.

shubeej
07-11-2006, 06:23 PM
i think its great that people might a question that may have ben discussed before it not only might give a chance for new members to have there opinion on the subjects but it also is nice to read things over again & again.
shubeej

Glenn_Woods
07-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Lazy or not, it's nice to chat with those in the know.

Woodsy. ;D

finga64
07-11-2006, 06:26 PM
I've been here since Jesus played fullback for the Israelites Cheers #Phill

Who were the props??? I bet Rabbits Warren was commentating back then as well :)

Diddo to what a lot have said. New ideas, methods and products come on the market all the time.

Personally I do a quick search but probably not a very good one. If the answer doesn't poke me in the eye I'll ask away.

I just wish more members would put there locations in their profiles. That would save a lot of replies asking "where are you mate???"

markpeta
07-11-2006, 06:31 PM
This topic has been around a few times a simple search you would have seen this ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Darryl
07-11-2006, 06:34 PM
I dont lose any sleep over people asking questions. ::) Infact if i had have sat in the background and just read old threads i wouldn't have met some of the life long mates i have met.

Ditto to Snappacoffins response. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tangles
07-11-2006, 06:37 PM
i try to search the forums first as there is so much good info but sometimes with the criteria/forum it canbe hard to find what your looking for, for me its part of what being in Ausfish is about , to learn, im a novice and ive learnt heaps, got great advice, everyone is friendly and offer their opinions, and opinions and experience change over time.

Also questions keep this forum going and active, look at some other fishing forums, most are pretty dead, just a few questions asked here and there. I check Ausfish regularly and there is always interesting threads going on.

Thats my 2 cents, i reckon

cheers
Mike

jim_farrell
07-11-2006, 06:47 PM
I can see where L.P. is coming from. It is one thing to increase your knowledge or ask advice. I think he is talking more about those who say,"just moved to the gold coast and are after gps marks". And such questions.

I think that technology has changed how we do things across the board. I enjoy spending a day on the water sounding out new ground. And I believe I am a better fisherman for it. It is also the reason I fish solo a lot. However, there are those who will go to the internet to get gps marks and head out to that mark the next day. More often than not, the mark will be out by a couple of seconds and mean nothing, or it has been fished to death. They then come home, go back on the net for the next mark and so on and so on. To me, that is lazy. That doesn't mean they are lazy, just my opinion and not how I would do it.

I like to think that most ausfishes give as much as they get. And to those who are wiser than me, I thank you for sharing your knowledge.

For those with little knowledge and are new to ausfish and to fishing, I hope in ten years time, you are sharing your knowledge with a new group of fishermen on ausfish.

Jim

dogsbody
07-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Without questions and replies there would be no topics to search. Better to ask the question and be thought a fool than not to ask and let it be known.

Dave.

rtranter
07-11-2006, 07:03 PM
Have used search a number of times and as yet to find an answer on it, maybe I just type the wrong words in or I'm just Ausfish site eliterate, and can't use the search properly,so if I need to know somthing I just ask.
As for members ID'ing where they're from or the area they're in To easy.
Coutts Crossing NSW 15 minutes south/south/west of Grafton, about 40k's inland as the crow fly's from the Clarence coast, or 70 odd k's by road. Look it up on the map great spot.
50 minutes and the boats in the Pacific. 90 minutes the other way and I'm chasing Trout in the New England, about 3 & 1/2 hours west and I'm into the yellows and Murray Cod. If I have to it's only 50 minutes down to Coffs. Anything else you want to know? you only have to ask. It's not that big a deal.
Regards
Rob 8-)

finga64
07-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Coutts Crossing eh,
Lovely place just like Grafton was when I was there.
I lived there for 3 years doing my time with NorthPower.
i never seen so many watering holes in 1 town.
Within a block or two from the boarding house in Sth Grafton was about 6 pubs/clubs etc #:)
Your not related to the Cromach and tranters are you matey??

bidkev
07-11-2006, 07:22 PM
This topic has been around a few times a simple search you would have seen this ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ROFLMOA

Loco mate, if we all searched the web and came up with what we were looking for, this forum would be like a load of newbies at an AA meeting waiting for the first guy to start his spiel. ;D

How do you think I got here in the first place? I was searching on google and it pointed me to this web site. The answer I was seeking was not comprehensive enough on the thread it pointed me to so I asked again but re-worded the (my) question differently to the original poster. I got what I was after (here) much quicker than I would've gotten it searching elsewhere.

The way I see it, and indeed, the way the proprietor of this site sees it judging by what is written under the headings of each room, is that this is a forum for seeking and divulging knowledge and although Google or some other search engine can give you that, they can't give you waht this site has given to me............camaraderie.....we've laughed together, cried together, ripped each others' heads off as good mates do, imparted knowledge and sought knowledge ;D We've created a community by being lazy buggers......ain't idleness wonderful? ;D

kev

Reef_fisher
07-11-2006, 07:50 PM
If you walk into a tackle shop and ask for a certain type of bait for a certain job the salesmen ,whoops person is going to recomend something they sell. When pippies or beach worms or dead cat might be a better bet. Same with the internet. It depends on the vested interest of the person giving the info.

I ask questions because there may just be something that you would not have thought about. Up to date info can some times make the difference.

With the cost of fishing these days not all of us have the money to buy everything and if you can do it better and cheaper, all the better.

And yes I hate cats, sorry if that offends anyone. Guess I could have done a search on that. ;D ;D ;D

woody74
07-11-2006, 08:15 PM
geezz, I ask questions about all sorts of things about fishing on here, how else am I going to be a better fisherman :-? ::). But seriously, alot of times I just want a second or third or forth opinion before going somewhere and looking like a complete pratt ::) ;D. CHEERS woody

2DKnBJ
07-11-2006, 08:17 PM
With the amount of new members joining everyday you will get the same questions asked over and over again.The newbies have just as much right to ask a question as the person who first asked it.I am pretty sure alot of members that read through the posts would have had some questions answered without even having to ask them. Like a few others have said what worked yesterday may not work today.

Cheers Dazza

imnotoriginal
07-11-2006, 08:32 PM
I tend to do both, the membership of ausfish is always growing and changing (though some seem to always be here ;D) and you can get all sorts of new info by asking the same question again. That said, I have a question for you all...."what's a sP?" :D :D ::)

Sea-Dog
07-11-2006, 08:36 PM
The only reason I got to read this is because it was on page 1.

This, I would search for?............. <shrugs>

rtranter
07-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Back again.
Not too sure whether I had a life before or after finding this site, but I'm on it upwards of five times a day, it's great. I get to read and think, Dick head, or, good question! Sometimes I throw my own two bobs wirth in like now, sometimes I just read what has been put on by you lot, and sometimes I ask Stupid questions, thats how we learn (apparently).
No I'm not related to the Cromacs, but yeh I'm related to the Tranters.
I would say that I am one of the lazy Ausfishers, as I'm sometimes to Lazy to get up and go for a fish. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Regards
Rob 8-)

geoff72
07-11-2006, 08:44 PM
asking questions and finding answers or making new friends to fish with is what this site is about, people may ask the same question as someone else but in a different way, they may get a totaly diffrent answer. I have got some of the best info from other members on this site and i will continue to ask any question i feel is oppropriate. this is by far the best site i have ever been on. its hard for me to talk to the missus about fishing so this is my 2nd hobby being on ausfish and getting more experience under my belt. fishing is my 1st and the best .
Now i will give you my Blue steal. [smiley=brood.gif].heheh from zoolander.
cheers geoff.

Duyz72
07-11-2006, 09:02 PM
I agree with the current sentiment, great site, always up to date with plenty of new stuff every day.
A very active site with members ranging from legend to newbie, where I sit . . . Hmmmmmm remains to be seen I am sure :P :P

Although I do acknowledge the "Hi new here, where's a great spot for a Jack?" questions straight off the bat are unlikely to be endorsed as a polite way to enter this forum. But by and large they are handled in a polite manner, point you in the right direction but no specific maps kind of thing.

We all need a little help every now and again, a few pointers never go astray.

There is definitely an enormous wealth of experience and knowledge accessible on the site and the blokes here are good sports about it all too.

Plus considering the search does have it's limitations on total number of returns (we aren't in google ya know) over the years can you imagine how many threads have talked about braid vs mono? What knot to tie braid to mono leader? I have only been here just over a year and even I have seen the repeats.

So a fresh question is usually easily answered and most of the time by someone different, also helps others become involved in the site, feel like they are also contributing and that's cool too!

Black_Jack
07-11-2006, 09:14 PM
:) :)

nothing wrong with talking about the same things again

Fishin_Dan
07-11-2006, 09:39 PM
I've been reading this site religously for about 3 years now. Yes there are times I think "a search would of found that", but at the same time, I realise not always would they know what to search for...

However, it does reallt irritate me when you get the exact same question posted by 2 different people on the same page of a thread!

I have nothing against asking questions, and I will be happy to post whatever I can to answer the question, but at the same time.... :-/

It might just be me, and I very hesitantly post in this... As ausfishers we do all help out and I wouldn't be able to not catch anything as well as I can if it wasn't for all the help I've had from here ;D Yes we sometimes get similar questions, but when you've been on here a while, you get used to it. And as Phill said, there's always new info to learn, a new technique, or an old one ressurected.

Captain_Starli
07-11-2006, 09:42 PM
i think over time, pretty well most things have been answered. if you want to use the search facility, you may as well just shut down the site & archive it for reference to those that want info...
oR... leave it how it is & people can go on asking questions,meeting & making new friends as they fish & enjoy the company of those that are likeminded..

SMB
07-11-2006, 09:50 PM
Searching has found me quite a lot of information and prevented me from asking questions. However if I'm being honest the search function for this forum software is not quite upto par sometimes, couple that with some people not knowing what to search for then we have the same posts being repeated.

An example of a problem with the search facility is that you can only display 25 posts / threads, sometimes I've found this is not quite enough. Maybe it might be an idea for someone to post a message /thread on how to use the search facility to its fullest, cheers.

Steve.

jerson
07-11-2006, 09:57 PM
how does ausfish feel about you directing people away from their forum. i stopped reading as i got up of my backside.

bidkev
07-11-2006, 10:22 PM
Don't think it worries 'em at all, as a good value for money product will always corner the market. It's been tried before, although I'm sure that in this case, it wasn't the posters intent. If you give value for money you will always hang onto your loyal customer base and considering that the site is for free........'nuff said ;) :D

kev

Sea-Dog
08-11-2006, 06:32 AM
Don't think it worries 'em at all, as a good value for money product will always corner the market. It's been tried before, although I'm sure that in this case, it wasn't the posters intent. If you give value for money you will always hang onto your loyal customer base and considering that the site is for free........'nuff said ;) :D

kev

You know, the content is so good, I'd be willing to pay a subscription fee.
<sound of lots of fishos yelling 'Nooooooooooooo' at their monitors>

But it would definitely cut down on the content.

Maybe subscribe to be able to post, read for free.

By the way.................. Did I say that right Uncle Steve? ;D

griz066
08-11-2006, 06:40 AM
Why try and re-invent the wheel when others have done it before you 8-)

gawby
08-11-2006, 06:51 AM
I have asked a lot of dumb questions on this site and got some really good replies. Perhaps the questions may have been asked before but i do not care because i got the information required and the ausfishers responding did not seem to mind. :-?

I might add that through this site i have met some realy nice people and some are now good friends of mine. :) :) :) :)

I have been boating and realy into the fishing thing now for about the last 4 years and have learnt a lot from this site. In the past i never had time for any of this as a was a work-a-holic providing the best for my family. Now that i have had to slow down i am enjoying the activities i have missed over the years and love this site. I get into trouble everday as i am addicted to it. :P :P

Bring on more Qs and As as its the only way to learn. :-? :-?

Mate, be careful next post as you may get a big sandbagging if it has already been covered before. ;D ;D

Graeme ;)

JasonT
08-11-2006, 07:22 AM
She'd be a pretty quiet forum if no questions were asked and no answers given!

I agree with some of the comments about the search function.

I'd like to see the need to state the board you want to search as an option. I think it would make it easier to locate a particular thread you've seen before.
I've tried a few times to locate a particular thread I remember reading, even been sure of the board I read it on, and still not found it!
Bloody Mod5 :-) :-) ! I'm sure he moves the ones I'm looking for!

:-)

JT

seafarer3
08-11-2006, 07:51 AM
This has started "COMUNICATION"

This is good YEH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Comunication.........No Ausfish.........

Cheers
Scott

donn
08-11-2006, 10:59 AM
sometimes the simplest questions lead to the most complex & interesting discussions,if they dont,then,no biggie!
i bet,LocoPez,you were too scared to ask questions in school because you thought the others would think you were a dill when in actual fact the teacher is sitting there knowing that 95% of the class dont fully understand & is wanting someone/anyone to put their hand up.
keep the questions coming & i will keep learning(all females in my family-no interest in fish/boats-so love this site)
regards,donn.

Dirtysanchez
08-11-2006, 12:22 PM
:) :)

nothing wrong with talking about the same things again

Geez mate, my wife would agree with you 150% on that one.... ::) ::) :P

Sigh.

Seriously though, the pace at which these pages roll over and topics drop off the front page I don't think it is a big deal if people raise the same sort of topic again a month or so later.

Live and let live !! :D

blaze
08-11-2006, 03:15 PM
been here for years, so what if the question gets asked again. I will be honest and say that I read most posts but sometimes answers are given to a question by another, maybe new member that will enlighten me or sway my view as the answer is given in a way I understand better.
its all good
cheers
blaze

Chimo
08-11-2006, 04:19 PM
When you stop learning your dead :(

Theres always something else to find out so what if questions are repeated ;)

There might even be a new and different answer next time. :-/

But there not much on TV anyway ;D ::) ::)

So

Have a nice day all of us with enquiring minds 8-) 8-)

Cheers

Chimo

shayned
08-11-2006, 05:03 PM
Thats where the advantage of crap short term memory comes in all the questions always look fresh and new. :)

tunaman
08-11-2006, 05:09 PM
I didnt get lazy, I just got old. ;D ;D ;D

signed tunaman

Loco_Pez
08-11-2006, 07:30 PM
I can see where L.P. is coming from. It is one thing to increase your knowledge or ask advice. I think he is talking more about those who say,"just moved to the gold coast and are after gps marks". #And such questions.

Calm down now fellas. The above is the sort of thing I was referring to, maybe a bit too obliquely AND I am talking about the exceptions not the rule. You guys that think I'm having a go at the forum in general have got the bull by the tits.

I have learnt a lot and enjoy reading the posts on this site & likewise I don't mind helping folks out where I can. Just wanted to raise this subject & seek your opinions, not crucifixion. What a response though, obviously a lot of passionate members out there :o

Cheers
LP

rowdycowdy
08-11-2006, 08:12 PM
why search the web or talk to you local tackle shop for answers when your question could be the same as others and the knowledge can be shared.
I know for sure I would rather the mass opinion than that of one takle shop man or a web site that is not local

knowledge is good but the collective knowledge is so much better

rowdy

blaze
08-11-2006, 08:22 PM
bloody heck rowdy ya piched jaybee's boat, I know you have mate, he's had it in his in his profile for years or are they starting to finally mass produce the tabletoppers :) :) :)
cheers
blaze

bludog
09-11-2006, 09:06 AM
This site has heaps of information but what wrong with asking? So many helpful people on this site be silly not to tap into that experience.
Bludog

castlemaine
09-11-2006, 01:42 PM
LP
I know exactly where you're coming from. I've asked over and over again and nobody's given me their GPS positions as yet and I'm getting real cheesed off ... ;D ;) 8-) :) ;D :) ;) ;D 8-)

Great_White
09-11-2006, 04:27 PM
LP it is a chat board after all isn't?????? That's what people are mean't to do!!!!!

Maybe people are not as familiar with the site as you are #>:( >:( >:(

A lot of questions have been asked time and time again SO WHAT, the way things are these days new products come onto the market every day. So something covered in a prior post may now not be the latest information for the new person asking the questions.

I for one don't mind repeat questions and am happy to help any fellow ausfish person in any way possible. Calling people lazy that you not know nor have spoken to in person is just not a correct statement.

Peter.

theoldlegend
09-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Would somebody be good enough to give me a precis of all these posts? :-?

I simply can't be bothered to wade through over 50 of them. :-[

Maybe I'm just lazy................................. :-/

TOL

bidkev
09-11-2006, 05:21 PM
There you are TOL............where've yer been?...............or has that question already been asked? ;) ;D

kev

DazSamFishing
09-11-2006, 06:08 PM
A lot of questions have been asked time and time again SO WHAT, the way things are these days new products come onto the market every day. So something covered in a prior post may now not be the latest information for the new person asking the questions

Here here...

Well done guys...

LocoPez... what were you looking at achieving?

Daz

moondancer
09-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Hey Loco Pez!! Well done mate..you have achieved exactly what this site is about...PEOPLE CHATTING!!!!

By the way...did you search to see if your topic was ever raised before????????????????????

Lawry

webby
09-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Who cares if the question has been asked before, maybe some can't read ;D anyway the amount of jargon put up here each day, usually pushes a lot of queries to the next page, unless its a hot topic.
Been around this site since the invention of computers and still dont no what half the buttons are for, not really interested just follow the pages i like to read. so I suppose i'm lazy in some way or another but what the heck :-?
GPS marks are about the only ones that dont get too many replies, but then again some have been posted :-?
Its post like this and a few others that seem to be poping up lately that shuttle the more interesting ones down the page, but there have been a few replies to this one, so maybe its getting the better of some. ;D
regards

barfly
09-11-2006, 08:05 PM
boys and ladies i have just come onto this subject and saw the word PROSPECTING if you are are true prospector it means you pick stuff up off the surface ..there are people that can ,fish ,camp and 4wd but you have to wonder when a freind says they caught a 22lb snapper at cal wide thats worth while investigating .you cant find it here on ausfish/ the only way of doing it is to get out there.this a great place to surf ,call us lazy , but it only fills in the gaps between fihin, campin ,and drives in the patrol on the weekend .my glass is empty i would love to post a photo but crap iam that slow at typing and the 5 cougars have corrupted me . but has any one see the weather for sat night ..... cheers barfly

Mozza
09-11-2006, 08:35 PM
I'm not even going to go past page one because I've just found the hands-down winner for the quote of the week:

"since Jesus played fullback for the Israelites"

I don't really understand but I'm still rolling with laughter ;D

Mozza

...I'm with poodroo btw