PDA

View Full Version : Wello Point Jetty Closed

marlinqld
07-11-2006, 04:00 PM
I noticed the other morning the Wello jetty was closed. All the handrails had been taken off. Just maintenance i do hope.

I havent heard anything about the closure.

Anyone heard anything about it? When will be open again etc?

Mike

Duyz72
07-11-2006, 04:30 PM
I also heard since the locals are ignoring the closure and still using it they will be demolishing the first 10m or so of it so no one can get on to it?

Dignity
07-11-2006, 06:25 PM
must have used the same engineers to inspect the Wello jetty as on the the Woody point one and also on the riverside expressway ;D ;D ;D

seriously though the local shires will miss out big time if they don't fix up these jetties

any more info on Woody Point or the old redcliffe hway bridge - heard that one was up for the chop also

sam

dogsbody
07-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Gee it would be nice if they made a launching pontoon beside it. Just wishfull thinking.

Dave.

finga64
07-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Gee it would be nice if they made a launching pontoon beside it. Just wishfull thinking.

Dave.
And a couple of Dolphin torches in the beacons would be handy too. I have a lot of trouble seeing them in the dark 8-)

Great_White
07-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Your not wrong there finga, It's easy to miss them with no lights. I very much rely on the gps plotter to get an idea where they are.

Peter :)

seatime
08-11-2006, 10:04 AM
If it's anything like the upgrades performed on the Amity and Dunwich public jetties, it'll take months and months and months. The actual work only took a few weeks, but they were closed for ages, just sitting half demolished, more of a danger really. The completed job is first class though, round handrails installed prevent jumping off, I can see a broken ankle or 2 around xmas time as kids try to stand on the rails.

liltuffy
08-11-2006, 12:41 PM
What a pain, a long time ago there used to be a jetty at Cleveland where the old courthouse restaurant used to be.

Friday nights entertainment for me was catching squid, the odd sand crab, whiting and gar and talking to the bloated diners who would wander out on to the jetty.

Some knucklehead lit a fire on it one night and that was the end of the cleveland jetty. I just hope Wello isn't going to suffer the same fate.

cobia1
09-11-2006, 10:01 AM
my dad used to take me to the cleveland jetty 25 years ago , used to catch good mackerel that chased the herring around the pilons, pitty its gone

staddie_local
09-11-2006, 11:03 AM
is the jetty back up? :-?
les.. ;)

marlinqld
09-11-2006, 11:08 AM
Just spoke to redland Shire Council, they were very helpful.

Shut for maintenance. Due to re-open round 1 to 2 weeks time depending on weather and contractor.

Mike

mowerman
09-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Had a look today.

They were installing new posts and rails down the sides.

Maybe someone fell thru..

seatime
10-11-2006, 07:14 AM
is the jetty back up? :-?
les.. ;)
les

if you mean Amity jetty, yes open again. it's a composite stuff for decking, gone are the timber treads, new platforms on the steps, new rails. all very nice and neat, will be hard to keep clean tho. at least all the bait bags won't fall thru into the drink anymore. water and lighting was in place but not connected, couple weeks ago anyway.

staddie_local
10-11-2006, 09:49 AM
^^ na i meant wello jetty but thanks for the info on amity jetty. ;)
les., ;D