PDA

View Full Version : Ross River in Townsville

goddy100
09-11-2006, 05:10 PM
G'day all,
Now have a boat (purchased off fello ausfisher) and was going to take the kids for a run up Ross River. Is there any fish left there? Also, what are the boat ramps like (do they come out at low tide, etc).

Thanks
Goddy

Mozza
09-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Goddy,

There is one big boat ramp and 2 smaller ramps accessible to the public. I haven't tried the 2 smaller ones but the main one running off Railway Ave into Putt St is as close to an all-tide as you'll get. There is a drop-off at the end of the ramp that I've seen only occasionally.

The other all-tide ramps are of course, the ramps near the coast guard on Ross Creek, just past the ferry terminal.

Please note that for the Ross River ramp the 6 knot (no wash) speed limit extends out past the short rock groin on the seaward side of the police boat pontoon. I was done by the water police a couple of years ago for upping the speed as soon as I passed the groin and the buggers were waiting in an unmarked boat under the pylon registering the end of the 6 knot limit. Where they really need to police is between the ramp and the army ramp (downstream) because the amount of erosion along the banks of the mangroves there is phenomenal.

There's probably a map knocking around somewhere on a govt website showing the location and specs of ramps in the TSV region.

Fish on!!

Mozza

Taipan
10-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Goddy,

You'd probably be better off launching from the Ross and heading back out towards Alligator, crocodile and sandfly creeks. They fish heaps better than the Ross. Once i sell my bike and get my boat i'll take you out there.
P.S. Those creeks can be a pain in the butt getting in and out at low tides. Chart would be handy.

goddy100
10-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Thanks fellas, very helpful. Taipan, just might take you up on that offer!

ssbayguide
10-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Hi Goddy

I lived in Townsville from 1994-2002.

Sandfly Creek would have some of the best whiting fishing I have experienced anywhere. April-September is the best time and if you can get in on the bottom of the tide, there are some jacks and barra around as well.

Peter R