PDA

View Full Version : Coastguard Newby!

Homer_Jay
12-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Well a couple of weeks ago I made the decision to join my local Coastguard (caloundra) as an active member. Well I was assigned a crew this week at the monthy general meeting and today was my first day rostered on duty. I was put through my safety induction then it was onto the boat. Our mission was to get promotional pictures of the boat crossing the bar to be used in recruitment. Now as i had never crossed a coastal bar before so this was a real eye opener. As we crossed in and out about 8 to 10 times always looking for the big sets and the waves that stood up to get the good action shots!! It has changed the way I think about boats and how I feel onboard to be with such an experienced crew and literaly playing in the bar. Although I must say I was white knuckled from hanging on so much.

All in all i had a great day. They are a great bunch of people and made me feel right at home. The only black mark on the day was when we were retrieving the boat and we were abused from some young bloke about taking too long on the launch ramp. This guy really went to town as he yelled abuse and swore at one of our female crew. Their was bystanders around that just looked on and shook their heads as none of us could belive this guy. Even as a few of us quickly gather round not knowing what was going to happen he then abused us all and even said that we just waste money and he would never give us a cent! I think that if we wernt all on duty then this guy would have been knocked down and woulndt have gotten up for a long time. But I am sure he would be the first to call us if he needed help.

I would just like to say to anyone thinking of volenteering to get along and give it a go. And even if you cant just make sure you do whatever you can to support your local. Because without support then they wont be there to help when you need them most.

Poodroo
12-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Sounds great Homer Jay. Is there any chance while you are cruising around that they would let you troll a pelagic lure out the back? ;D Those guys do a great job and I am sure you will be no exception. ;)

Poodroo

marlinqld
13-11-2006, 10:51 AM
Welcome aboard Homer. You wont regret joining.

What you learn in house is invaluable.

Drop kicks like that bloke are far too common - but they get in trouble, who do they call?

What a day to start your time with them, bar crossing..... well done mate. how often are you on roster?

Mike

Jeremy
13-11-2006, 11:15 AM
I am an associate member of Caloundra. Not fishing up that way as often as I used to, but might see you up there sometime. I always log on when I go offshore from Caloundra.

Jeremy

Brissyguy
13-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Good on you Homer...

No matter where you go you will find idiots, a shame some of the bystanders didnt offer moral support.

I think it is time I joined VMR Bribie.
Are there any other members here, wouldn't mind some advice on where to start.

Cheers,
Rich.

Homer_Jay
13-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Thnaks guys.
I am rostered on every third sunday. So its really not a lot of time to give up. I learnt heaps already and it was only my first day.

Glad your an associate member Jeremy. I think everyone should be an associate member if they dont have the time to give. I just hope you never need our help! But its good to know that if you do then we will be there.

Brissyguy, yeah the bystanders all offered moral support for us but not till it was all over. I guess now days people are just too scared to get involved in any conflict. If you are interesed in joining just go along and have a chat to them they will give you some info and advice.

I know we didnt have to help anyone on Sunday but you do get a sense of satisfaction knowing that you have been there on call all day. Not knowing if at any minute you will have to go to the aid of someone.

Kendall249
13-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Awesome homer_jay, I too will join when I have sufficent time, as such experience is invaluable. Not to mentioned it always good to give back to the community that which we all take so much from.