PDA

View Full Version : Best anti theft devices - recommendations

seatime
08-11-2006, 06:56 AM
Hi All

In the next few weeks I'll be investing large coin on a new rig.

Reading the stories of complete rigs being pinched regularly, I'm nervous.
How to stop the tea leafs? :-/

Problem - it'll have to live in the front yard, too big to fit anywhere else. There's no real fence as yet, only a narrow garden. In time, and when I'm more cashed up, it'll be fenced and gated.
I can run wire rope around a steel verandah post, concrete a block into the grass, use a wheel lock, that sort of thing.

Any ideas on un-bolt cutable padlocks - chain - SS wire?
the dog won't help, unless stench keeps them away (springer spaniel) :P
bunking down onboard isn't an option.

There will be nights spent away, and neighbours aren't always available.

Any ideas or advise would be much appreciated.

regards
Steve.

p.s. mid-week day time fish trips available.

fish_outta_water
08-11-2006, 07:06 AM
hi mate #:)
couple of taipans in the cuddy /cockpit? ;D
on a more serious note if your engine is on tiller control dont leave it out there , most engines that get nicked are tiller , easier to remove /sell
could always get another more savage dog
http://en.animals-online.info/images/dog/406-100-perro-presa-canaria-03.jpg #feed em greenies when you run out of robbers

Angla
08-11-2006, 07:08 AM
A good security light would be a start in such a vulnerable position.

Clipsal Infrascan is the best technology has to offer. Match that with something high powered in the light department. Thieves hate the light.

Chris

jaybee
08-11-2006, 07:22 AM
Don't know the name of it, but there is an anti theft device some boat yards use, it just looks like an electrical lead, however if someone tries to remove it, it sets of an alarm. walking to the shops the other day i see it set up on a rig in a yard. hope this helps.
cheers
Joe

seatime
08-11-2006, 07:31 AM
Chris, Joe , excellent ideas. I want everything possible rigged up to deter these scum.
It's a working class suburb (like me), while the neighbours are salt of the earth, some other less savory types do hang around.
The boat is 6m alloy and imposing, but that won't stop them I know.

cheers
Steve.

seatime
08-11-2006, 07:34 AM
f_o_w, if I let my dish licker sleep in the boat no one else will ever want to use it again, it'd need delousing ;D

Captain_Starli
08-11-2006, 07:36 AM
have a look at the 'hitch helmets' you can't get bolt cutters to the padlock & it can be left on for towing & at the boat ramp.

finga64
08-11-2006, 07:42 AM
A good security light would be a start in such a vulnerable position.

Clipsal Infrascan is the best technology has to offer. Match that with something high powered in the light department. Thieves hate the light.

Chris
Be carefull about that. Some say these security lights especially on homes do nothing but give the scumsuckers good light to do what they do. Nobody takes notice of them especially if the home occupants are away.
It's more obvious that's somethings not right if you see torches waving around in the middle of the night.

Wheel clamp is a deterrent. The thingo Joe is talking about is good too. A chain through the wheels and around the trailer works and you can get a gismo that actually fits inside the tow hitch where the towball goes that locks. These are nearly impossible to get out without removing the hitch. But that's easy to do as well. 2 or 3 bolts and it's changed.
If the scumsuckers are keen enough nothing will stop them.

If the boat is in the front yard I wouldn't leave anything in it and make it obvious that nothing is in it.
The neighbours keep all their fishing gear and boating stuff in the boat and I always empty mine. The neighbours got their tarp slit, their cover slit and all their gear went walkies. Mine was in the carport with no cover. They were in mine and all they did was drop the oil bottle on the floor and go. Sadly to the neighbours #:-/

Maybe one or two of those removeable posts concreted in the front yard will work to stop them getting the boat out...you know like in carparks on weekends..

jaybee
08-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Forgot, Ausfish also sell couplemate, had one myself and gave great peace of mind both in the yard and at the ramp
cheers
Joe

donn
08-11-2006, 11:15 AM
i think lighting definitely helps-light with photo-electric cell that comes on at sundown-scum generally dont like to be seen,also dont discount the springer spanial as most scum are scared of their own shadow.also if covered with canopy attach note to 'darling,that brown snake is somewhere in the boat again so dont go near the boat untill i get back!

Nathalie
08-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Hello
:)

Just a thought, but your can secure you pride and joy as much as you want, but at the end of the day if they really want it they will take it. Thieves have become so brazen these days taking things in front of your eyes and from right under your nose. You could always have a GPS tracking devise fitted to it, go to the wreckers and get one out of a wreck and fit it to your boat, that way if your pride and joy should fall in to the wrong hands you will know wear it is.

Nat ;)

Cheech
08-11-2006, 12:44 PM
If you read the fineprint of your insurance policy you will probably find you have to have a lock similar to what Jaybee mentions. I know I do with Suncorp. They are good because you cannot hook the boat up as they lock the towball. They also work to lock the trailer to the boat when on the car. Peace of mind for the boat ramp that your trailer will be thre when you return.

I got mine from supercheap, but they are a bit more expensive than what is for sale here. Both will work fine.

Cheech

Argle
08-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Certainly use the hitch locks as mentioned previously, another thought although it could be a pain is to stick the thing on blocks and take the wheels off it. Would make an unattractive target for many theives but as I said could be a pain if youre taking it out every second day (and if you are Im very jealous ;) ;D ;D)

Cheers and beers
Scott

seatime
08-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Scott, the boat will be working most weekends and some weekdays, it'll be out a lot. Though they can lift 'em from right under your nose.

cheech, note to self - ask insurance company their recommendations too, thanks.

nat, great idea, you know nearly every shipping container in the world owned by large companies has one of those.

regards
Steve.

Blackened
08-11-2006, 02:21 PM
G'day
I hate to say it but if there's a will... there's a way. All you can really do is deter them, or at least make it very time consuming.

A place to check out for GPS trackers would be oz spy. google it, they have a shop at tingalpa,

Brilliant products and also I believe security lighting and that wire cable that jabee mentioned would be worth a go. A few of the boat yards use these.

Dave

SgBFish
08-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Hook it up to the mains and run 240 through it.
Crispy crims.

finga64
08-11-2006, 03:19 PM
There's also data dots for boats if they find your boat after it's been pinched

gunna
08-11-2006, 04:31 PM
If possible park it nose in to the house. Fit wheel clamp and some sort of tow ball lock.

But - change your perception is a good way to go. I had to do that to stop stressing over mine. What I decided was the car gets parked everywhere & I don't stress about theft as its insured. The boat is no different. So yes - I use anti-theft devices but if its stolen I just get paid for it & buy a new one. No big deal when you think along those lines.

PinHead
08-11-2006, 04:45 PM
land mines..trip wires connected to machine guns...but in reality..as others have said..if they want it..they will take it...the opportunistic thieves will pass on it if there is some security measure..the real pros..if they want it...they take it...just make sure you have a good insurance cover.

I have a boat sitting in a berth all the time..first few weeks I stressed over it...now it does not enter my mind...if it isn't there then it is well insured.

bidkev
08-11-2006, 04:58 PM
gunna and pinhead have the right idea........ get insurance and don't sweat it. I was up at the window nearly every night whenever I heard a noise, the first few weeks I got mine. She was egged 4 times in the first three weeks....stealing I can handle, but mindless vandalism drives me to murder some bastard.

Two and a half ton on the edge of a steep drive with a metre drop on one side........the only way that I can hitch it is to have the deckie reverse back whilst I guide her on........a couple of inches the wrong way and she drops the wheels of the Prado over that metre drop into the next door neighbour............that's why I let her drive ;D Due to the angle of the drive I have to jump on the bumper to get her to unhitch..............going fishing is like doing a day's work ;D If the thieving ferals can go to all that bother, they're welcome to her.........but I digress.........good insurance and plenty of relaxation..........if she gets nicked....she gets nicked.

kev

tunaman
08-11-2006, 05:19 PM
One time, I caught one little parrisite taking my game gear out of the boat.
I tied his shoe laces together and called the police. Years later I saw
him again, and was doing well, and said he was so sorry.
Better late than never I guess.

But insurance is the way to go.

signed tunaman

jim_farrell
08-11-2006, 05:33 PM
All I can add steve is that if you catch someone at night trying to take it, don't go and try and tie their laces together. ;D

As said, couple mate, light and insurance. Go to bed and forget it.

I had a car stolen when I was younger. Fairly hot LTD. Steering lock, ignition cut off, fuel cut off. The day it was stolen, I had fitted a new reduction starter and hadn't even connected it. They still got it.
Jim

Camo
08-11-2006, 05:33 PM
I bought this to keep the boat and trailer safe. # I use it when the trailer is left at the ramp. #At least it is a bit or a deterant. #Cost almost $200, I can't remember the exact price. A lot of insurance companies won't cover you unless you have a hitch lock or something similar.

Camo

Blackened
08-11-2006, 05:42 PM

signed tunaman

G'day
tunaman, that is a classic. Would have loved to see him standing there whilst u tied the laces up ;D

Dave

tunaman
08-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Mate! This little bugger wasnt going anywhere. I thought by making a big knot and joining in his runners together would make him sit there and make him play nice untill the cops got here. I too would of loved to see him try to get up and make a run for it. ;D ;D ;D

signed tunaman

capt
08-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Hi Steve, do all of the above ...... then wack up a big fence .....out of sight , out of mind.... Regards Jimmy

seatime
08-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Thanks everyone,

I think I'll need to use a few measures together with good insurance.

The boat won't be all that easy to replace quickly, it'll be tricked up for survey and 70-80% of the time earning a wage for me. Deposit went down today, stressing already, family to feed, mortgage,you know the feeling.

security light, wheel clamp, wire rope, hitch lock and data dot/tracker thingo for starters. It'll probably be as safe as locked up in a shed.

cheers.
Steve

Ausfishers will be welcome for fishing trips.

PinHead
08-11-2006, 06:59 PM

signed tunaman

must have been a rather dumb kid...could not think to just kick the shoes off

finga64
08-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Two and a half ton on the edge of a steep drive with a metre drop on one side........the only way that I can hitch it is to have the deckie reverse back whilst I guide her on........a couple of inches the wrong way and she drops the wheels of the Prado over that metre drop into the next door neighbour
kev
That was nearly my theory too for one of my boats :)
Another reason was I had no more room to park the thing :(
It's easy a pie to get there and I take up the drawbridge leaving the poor little boat in no mans land....take that one if you can scumbags ;)

tunaman
08-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Pinhead! When holding a baseball bat, I dont think your going to be arguing.

signed tunaman

bidkev
08-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Pinhead! When holding a baseball bat, I dont think your going to be arguing.

signed tunaman

If I was holding a baseball bat, I think my argument would be a bit stronger ;D

kev

4x4frog
08-11-2006, 07:31 PM
I do agree with the adage that if they want it they'll work it out. The thing I heard is that for more difficult attacks the will access the situation and return with the tools required and I have seen evidence of removal of locked craft by sheer force. Lowlifes ....
I hope you find a suitable solution

tunaman
08-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Kingtin. LMAO ;D ;D ;D

signed tunaman ;)

imported_admin
08-11-2006, 07:57 PM
As stated earlier, check the conditions of your insurance as far as trailer security/locking device requirements

Couplemate is one I sell -- http://www.ausfish.com.au/trailer/

insideout
08-11-2006, 08:01 PM
i also have a towball lock, and yes it does give you piece of mind, but i have heard of people drilling a hole through the disc brake and throwing a good quality lock through it....

Reef_fisher
08-11-2006, 08:15 PM
only one thing can beat an angry dog and that is two angry dogs. They also stop cats from crapping in your pride and joy. ;D ;D

moondancer
09-11-2006, 06:53 PM
The whole issue of security is not actually to stop theft...it's to slow it down. The more difficult it is for one of these low lifes to get what they want, the more likely they are to move on to an easier target. Of course...iof they REALLY want your rig.....they will get it....thats what insurance is for (unfortunately...in a sense) The aim is to make it harder - the more hurdles, the more security...and usually its a matter of how much you want to spend.

I use a tow hitch lock, and a chain around the wheels attached to the house. If they really wanted the rig, they could easily come prepared with wrenches and bolt/ chain cutters, and a spare hitch...rmove mine, snap the chaim and go....but.........really.....how many thieves want to go to that trouble?

Its a problem all of us face if our boat is in public view.

L

tunaman
09-11-2006, 10:46 PM
I just thought of the best way for your boat not to be pinched.
Just have an old boat and trailer like mine. ;D ;D ;D
No-one in their right mind would take it. ;D ;D ;D

signed tunaman

rick_k
09-11-2006, 11:05 PM
storage in a shed off site or commercial storage?

Stumpy-USA2
10-11-2006, 01:53 AM
Hey Ya'll, ;)

I'm going to share a bit of almost hard learned wisdom on boat theft. Last summer, end of July, I took a Friday off and went out fishing with an old co-worker/friend of mine. Upon returning home that evening there was a county sheriff in my yard looking things over. My brothers brand new ATV was stolen out of my yard in the broad daylight. I had been using it to pull a grass cutting deck around the back yard. It was chained to my carport using 1/2" hardened steel chain and a massive lock. Both were laying on the ground next to the ATV's cover AND my boat cover. I keep four locks on my rig when I'm away, two on the coupler and one around both axles on both sides to lock the tires down. All but one of the locks were missing. The one in the coupler where the towing ball fits was still there. It was beat to pieces with hammer marks and cut marks all over it and the key hole was beat out with a file but it still worked. So well in fact, I had to get it cut off with a torch just so I could use my boat again. It was a lock that went by the name "Gorilla Ball," and I believe Master Lock was the manufacturer. From personal experience I can say that that lock saved my rig from thieves. They are now sold all over the Internet under the name "Hitch Lock" and still made by Master Lock. This is the one and only lock I will recommend to anyone for keeping their boats safe.

seatime
10-11-2006, 07:04 AM
Thanks stumpy, there are some good hardened locks to be used, also think wire rope is harder to cut thru than chain, might use both.

The best solution is to be out on the water all the time, I wish.

Another concern will be the flush mounted electronics, thinking of an alloy lockable cover that can be removed when not needed.

The biggest worry is the tea leafs are probably reading all this. Too late to change my profile location now, it's not that big a suburb, they'll cruise around till they see it, sh!t, sh!t, sh!t, what a dummy. >:(

bidkev
10-11-2006, 09:03 AM
I just thought of the best way for your boat not to be pinched.
Just have an old boat and trailer like mine. ;D ;D ;D
No-one in their right mind would take it. ;D ;D ;D

signed tunaman

Especially when it's full of fish heads :P ;) ;D

kev

JasonT
10-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Thanks stumpy, there are some good hardened locks to be used, also think wire rope is harder to cut thru than chain, might use both.

The best solution is to be out on the water all the time, I wish.

Another concern will be the flush mounted electronics, thinking of an alloy lockable cover that can be removed when not needed.

The biggest worry is the tea leafs are probably reading all this. Too late to change my profile location now, it's not that big a suburb, they'll cruise around till they see it, sh!t, sh!t, sh!t, what a dummy. #>:(

Steve,
I'd be happy to sit in the boat for you when you have to leave it unattended!

Provided you don't mind me sitting in it just off Mud or Moreton!

I'll give you mates rates too!
:-)

JT

robersl
10-11-2006, 06:49 PM
a sign saying guarded by shot gun 5 nights a week you guess which 5 nights ;D ;D ;D

Deiter
13-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Hey Gelsec, one thing that theiving scum don't like is load noises.

Well, if anyone tries to move my rig an inch, they will get a surprise. ITs an electric horn that will near deafen you and is motion activated by a mercury switch.

about the size of a small tissue box with a switch to activate/deactivate. Its run on batteries, so i can put it anywhere, and if it gets moved it goes off like a rock concert in full chorus.

Its quite humorous to sit it on the coffee table when guests come over, then tell their kids not to touch anything, or else. I have had tears and poo poo,s on the carpet, but the giggle is worth it.

I have two that i was given by the father in law ( he has that sort of sense of humour). Good for keeping cats out of the yard too. Kicks their parranoia glands into overtime :)

Damo

seatime
13-11-2006, 03:53 PM
That's a beauty Deiter, I imagine they're similar to the switches on windows and doors if you have a home security system, like a reed switch.
Might look into that, a stand alone set up with the alarm inside the boat, prolly need to be corrosion resistant. I'll do some research on it, ta.

regards

dogsbody
13-11-2006, 05:42 PM
STEVE

You can get a wheel clamp device have seen it in one of the fishing mags cant remember which.

Dave.

dogsbody
13-11-2006, 05:56 PM
If that does'nt work try a Smith and Wessen.

Dave.

BAIT_MAN
13-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Mate will start work on the fit out off your new boat tomorrow

Regards Shane

Kendall249
14-11-2006, 12:39 AM
If that does'nt work try a Smith and Wessen.

# Dave.

LOL ;D ;D ;D

petnic
14-11-2006, 05:06 AM
Hi
I use both the hitch helmet and the klamp-it , cost about $400 all up but peace of mind at home and at the ramp. Theres no 100% method just make it as difficult as you can for them and you should be right.
cheers
Pete

seatime
14-11-2006, 05:10 AM
Shane, cheers mate, I'll drop in for a chat and give it a caress. ;)

regards
Steve

gunna
14-11-2006, 04:43 PM
I have a Klamp-It. Had problems with the lock one day and couldn't release it from the wheel. It took me 5 minutes to get round it - deflate the tyre and jack the trailer up and off comes the locked Klamp-It. Not real secure eh.

petnic
14-11-2006, 06:31 PM
I have a Klamp-It. #Had problems with the lock one day and couldn't release it from the wheel. # It took me 5 minutes to get round it - deflate the tyre and jack the trailer up and off comes the locked Klamp-It. #Not real secure eh.

You mean this one http://www.klampit.com/view_products.asp?pxa=ve&pxs=43&id=34 Did you buy the right size? you cant do that with mine its longer than the rim on the inside , even if you deflate the tyre it ain't coming off
cheers
Pete