PDA

View Full Version : Ships looking for Tony Bullimore again

Lone_Wolf
15-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Everyone deserves to be rescued, I just hope he is paying for it this time!

LW

British yachtsman Tony Bullimore has lost communication with the outside world as he sails to Australia ahead of a new world record attempt.

Maritime authorities have issued an all-ships alert in the Indian Ocean to find the solo yachtsman who has not contacted his support crew for eight days.

Bullimore, who was plucked from the Southern Ocean by the Australian Navy after his yacht overturned almost 10 years ago, is en route to Hobart where he will begin an attempt to circumnavigate the globe in 70 days.

The 67-year-old and his crew left Doha, in Qatar, late last month.

He was due to dock in Fremantle in Western Australia this week.

But emergency authorities have been unable to locate Bullimore's 31-metre catamaran in the Indian Ocean.

"The biggest problem is we don't know where he is - he could be anywhere between the Maldives and Fremantle," a spokeswoman for the Australian Maritime Safety Authority, Tracy Jiggins, was quoted as saying by The West Australian newspaper.

Rescue authorities have not yet ordered a search but an all-ships alert has been issued in the hope a commercial ship will spot the yacht.

"He's definitely not missing at this stage, he's not overdue and there's been no beacon activation to indicate that there's any sort of trouble," Ms Jiggins told ABC radio.

Bullimore's control centre in the UK said the adventurer lost satellite communications on November 7.

"There is no concern for the crew at this stage," spokesman Barry Pickthall said in a statement.

"We know that their satellite communications system has gone down so Tony is unable to contact us by phone or email.

"We expect the crew to make a stop at Fremantle or another port to get the system repaired and since the catamaran should be close to the shipping lanes by now, (we) have asked the Coastguard to alert vessels in the area to report any sightings."

Bullimore and his team were expected to dock in Fremantle on Tuesday but weather forecaster Lee Bruce said headwinds could delay their arrival by "a further day or two".

Bullimore was rescued by the Australian Navy in January 1997 after spending five days trapped in the hull of his upturned yacht in the freezing Southern Ocean.

He hopes to break the current solo round-the-world record, set last year at 71 days, 14 hours, 18 minutes and 33 seconds by Dame Ellen MacArthur.

Argle
15-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Hope he has his cheque book or credit card handy, have to agree everyone deserves to be rescued but clowns like Bullimore should bear the costs incurred.

Cheers and beers
Scott

bludog
15-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Lets hope all is ok and its just a technical problem, time will tell :o
Bludog

mini696
15-11-2006, 03:08 PM
That man frustrates me.

Can he be banned from doing these kinds of attempts?

marlinqld
15-11-2006, 04:29 PM
mE THINKS mR bULLIMORE SHOULD JUST GIVE UP SAILING.

cHARGE HIM THIS TIME, IMHO

Mike

rando
15-11-2006, 04:51 PM
An inspiration to all seamen.

He continues to push the boundaries at 67 years of age ,living life large and challenging himself to excell.

The International rules of the sea say, you must if you can, go to the assistance of a mariner in peril.

He does not expect that he will be rescued, no solo sailor does.

They expect that they can rely only on themselves.

The fact that he was rescued once is simply Australia following maritime law

I wish I had that much courage & tenacity.

rando

jim_farrell
15-11-2006, 05:06 PM
I'm with you rando. And I don't care what his age is. I believe we have become to safe. In my book he is a true adventurer and I would only question it if he was under prepared, but you couldn't accuse him of that. His boat has everything.

Secondly, the figures quoted for rescueing him last time were ridiculous. The navy personel would've been getting paid anyway, and the ships would've been steaming around as well. The cost of rescuing him were tallied as if there were zero costs to the navy for the week if he hadn't disappeared. What better execise for all involved than a non mock rescue in the middle of no where.

IMHO

Jim

HarryO
15-11-2006, 05:09 PM
* sigh *

Sea-Dog
15-11-2006, 05:13 PM
Send the bill to the government that collects his taxes. >:(

hogesTS
15-11-2006, 05:54 PM
says he has a crew this time, i doubt he could man a 30+m cat solo :o

Either way if hes in trouble and is in our waters we have the obligation to rescue him, doesnt matter the cost, im sure the government spends more on those crappy ad campaigns every week, and which do you think is more important?

Sea-Dog
15-11-2006, 07:37 PM
I wonder how much of a donation he made to the Australian Navy after selling his rescue story to various media organisations around the world the last time we had to rescue him..........

Remember, this is not an accident that he ended up in the Southern Ocean.

And he certainly knows the risks involved.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't be rescued - I'm just fed up with freeloaders of all descriptions.

I mean, we have the 'user pays' system for most stuff.

Why doesn't that apply just because he's regarded as being daring.

Good old Joe average in Aus foots the bill.

See if Volunteer Marine Rescue will tow you back to port for nothing if you are silly enough to run out of fuel. (Unless you are a member of course :))

Not only that, it's damn dangerous down there for the rescue guys in the navy too!

There - Now I feel better :)

Reef_fisher
15-11-2006, 09:00 PM
He does deserve to be rescued if he need it. He has made money from his book and in my opinion the proceeds of the book should have been donated to the cost of the rescue. Also a bigger boat and a couple extra bodies does not mean he will be successful.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
15-11-2006, 09:41 PM
"well may we say, God save Tony Bullimore,

because no-one, will save the British Lions !!!"

hey wolf ;)

PandaBear
15-11-2006, 11:48 PM
lol . Im with you wolf

aussiefool
16-11-2006, 03:22 AM
An inspiration to all seamen.

He continues to push the boundaries at 67 years of age ,living life large and challenging himself to excell.

The International rules of the sea say, you must if you can, go to the assistance of a mariner in peril.

He does not expect that he will be rescued, no solo sailor does.

They expect that they can rely only on themselves.

The fact that he was rescued once is simply Australia following maritime law

I wish I had that much courage & tenacity.

rando

Here Here

Brett1907
16-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Yes it is inspirational that a 67yo is out there the way he is, but...

1997 wasn't the first time he had to be rescued at someone elses expense. If he is lost at sea this will be at least his THIRD time rescued. What would you say to a local who needed to be bailed out by Volunteer Marine Rescue more than once, let alone two or three times?

He proffited from our navys brave ressuers and all they got was a kiss of appreciation. Tunaman knows how that can turn out. ;D

Yes we have an obligation to help, but when is enough enough?

Brett

cabfisher
16-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Good for you Tony but who said that he is in need of rescue??
I agree with all of you that think that the money he recived should go to the ship crew that did the rescue as they were the guys that risk there necks to save him maybe some say it was just a exesise true But what about salvage rights ??
Have a good gay all Cheers Harry

GBC
16-11-2006, 12:30 PM
The beauty of a world with up to the second comms anywhere on the planet - one fuse blows and just because he can't email mum - he must be dead.

I reckon he'll turn up and wonder what the fuss is all about - oh just another media beat up.

To be in the middle of the Indian Ocean with no mobile phone - I'd swap places with him in a heartbeat.

If he is is trouble, and I hope I'm wrong, I've just said a prayer for him, because the ocean isn't a pretty place when you're wondering what to do next....

C.J.

rough_shag
16-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Is this guy really 'taking a risk' or being daring and adventurous when he knows that highly trained personnel with the world's most sophisticated equipment will be able to rescue him from pretty much anywhere in the ocean he happens to be?.
I think it detracts from REAL feats of bravery and adventure such as Kingsford Smiths' trailblazing flights which were undertaken at a time when you really were on your own if something went wrong.As far as I can tell there is no real meaningful purpose in his attempt to break the record other than his own personal ambition.
Now if the guy was attempting to be the first to travel to mars or something perhaps it would be worth the risk!! :-/.Jace.

insideout
16-11-2006, 08:20 PM
might be the beginning of another media frenzy to help him sell a second book....

banshee
16-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Agree rough shag and throw Mathew Flinders in there,fashioned a sailing boat out of the life boat after running aground at Wreck Reef (named this after the misshap) 300 odd nauticle miles off Bundy then sailed to Sydney,got another square rigger,then went back and got his crew back in the early 1800's or late 1700's,still claimed to be the greatest maratime rescue the world has ever seen.

gawby
16-11-2006, 09:44 PM
I remember a short while ago that a jet skier had to be rescued off the mid qld coast and everyone kicked his ass for being such a dick.

If this so called seaman (######) has to be rescued again he should have to foot the bill in full. He knows and you know the risks of the seas where he wants to go. I don't know if you call it being brave, stupid or what.

Thats my opinion

Graeme ;)

finding_time
16-11-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm with Rando [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

The age of the true adventurer is passing but the ones that do do it are very aware of the risks , and try to minimise those risks as much as possible. I'm sure if you said to Tony that if he got in trouble this time no one would come searching for him he would have excepted that but still set out on his trip , that whats makes him tick.

The other side of the arguement is that the last rescue gave our navy a real opportunity to use the skill they practice on a regular basis and i'm sure all the sailors involved will have fond menories of the last exercise as it would have been more real than looking for a floating radio beacon. I have heard several ranked navy officers on the radio saying what a good excercise it was for both real life training and moral

Ian

GAFYM
16-11-2006, 11:01 PM
Maybe i am reading this wrong.
Since when has the Navy/Army/Airforce been a rescue outfit.
Sure, they will respond when they are required (Not some ranked officer who sits in his/her office and chases pats on the back and details everyone else off to do the dirty work) (Political Ambitions?)
And "Finding Time" NOOOOOOO.....There are no fond memories...Believe me on that one.

But...Yes...Of course they, or anyone else, would respond to any emergency. Even leave the Foreign Fishing Vessel they have apprehended to attend to it.

Charge him. Bloody oath.

4x4frog
16-11-2006, 11:44 PM
"well may we say, #God save Tony Bullimore,

because no-one, will save the British Lions !!!"

hey wolf #;)
Or the pommine cricketers when the boys fire up next week with McGrath, Lee et al. ;D

I guess Mr Bullimore thinks he deserves a second rescue like that dammed French woman, who we had to save 2 times in that darn round the world race.

I too would like to know if he made any sizeable donations to the brave souls who rescued him last time. Price for rescues because of stupid acts should be 60% of profits of sale of story for first offence and 100% every other subsequent offence.

finding_time
17-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Maybe i am reading this wrong. #
Since when has the Navy/Army/Airforce been a rescue outfit.
Sure, they will respond when they are required (Not some ranked officer who sits in his/her office and chases pats on the back and details everyone else off to do the dirty work) (Political Ambitions?)
And "Finding Time" # NOOOOOOO.....There are no fond memories...Believe me on that one.

But...Yes...Of course they, or anyone else, #would respond to any emergency. #Even leave the Foreign Fishing Vessel they have apprehended to attend to it.

Charge him. # # Bloody oath.

Of coures the navy is a rescue outfit!!!! (there not an aide outfit either but if there was a disaster in the pacific they would be the first sent)What if during a time of war a pilot goes down over the ocean , is the airforce going to call VMR ;D ;D ;D ;D I'm sure the rescue was a very good training excercise and the real life component to it would have made it a very good one.

Gafym

i ,like you by the sounds of your reply know a sailor that was on the hmas Adelaide the day they rescued mr bullimore and he rates the rescue as one of his biggest high lights in 12 years navy service. I would say that counts as a fond memory ;)

ian

lizardking271
18-11-2006, 12:17 AM
what a way to get to australia to see the ashes/trinations surely there must be tickets left to the cricket,shit if you hafta be rescued to get to see the ashes then im off to moreton and beyond,please find me before the gabba test. ill be the one in the surf ski ;D

lizardking271
18-11-2006, 12:19 AM
oh and about the defence force being a rescue outfit,what the hell do you think we are doing in iraq,we not fighting ,we rescuing Bushes brigade. ;)

4x4frog
18-11-2006, 01:36 PM
oh and about the defence force being a rescue outfit,what the hell do you think we are doing in iraq,we not fighting ,we rescuing Bushes brigade. ;)
;D ;D ;D ::) Gold

nigelr
18-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Great post! Great replies, IMO!
Love to hear from Kingtin on this!
Personally, to hell with Bullimore.
Takes more guts to be on active overseas duty in Iraq, eh?
What is he trying to prove?
Just my opinion.
Cheers! ;)

saphire
18-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Its easy to be judemental towards Tony. #But has he really made this mistake too many times?
Think about the people who smoke, who are overweight and have non insuline dependent diabetes or other lifestyle diseases. #Maybe even the unfortunate people who have other addiction and need help. These people still receive services from health care funded by tax payers.
Then there are those who for what ever reason can not be employed either for intellectual reasons or they just dont understand the work culture and ethics so therefore receive payment from Centrelink.
We are all human and different. Should we ignore those who we dont understand? #This type of call is hard to make unless you have walked in that persons shoes and have experienced what they have experienced.
Maybe Tony has just had bad.
Yes we should rescue him.
Oh.. and then educate him. #Get him to join Ausfish for advice on Nautical Safety.
saphire.

Grand_Marlin
19-11-2006, 07:06 AM
After 11 days of silence, Tony Bullimore and his crew on the 102ft catamaran Doha 2006 were able to make contact with the outside world for the first time today.

Reporting their position at 13:00 UTC as 36' 09" S, 107' 3'E, Doha 2006 was approximately 420 miles from the West Australian port of Albany where the British yachtsman and his crew are heading to make repairs before continuing to Hobart, Tasmania.

Explaining their lack of communication, Tony told his team co-ordination centre in the UK. "The crew and boat are fine. We have simply been out of satellite range for our Mini M phone which is working again now that we are approaching Western Australia. We have two other satellite phones onboard but there seems to be a problem with the aerial connections which we will try and get fixed in Albany before heading on to Hobart."

Bullimore added that they were enjoying good favourable winds and expected to reach Albany some time Monday morning local time.

4x4frog
19-11-2006, 04:25 PM
What he has admitted to is bloody ridiculous. In this day and age of super satelite based communications and GPS locators, why the hell can't he have had something that simply plotted his position so they knew he was still above the line of the briny?? FFS, even the taxi companies have GPS locators
Beats me as to how he could have some equipment that couldn't reach a satelite and geta signal to someone and the rest of it not working.

disorderly
19-11-2006, 05:04 PM
Didnt even know old Tony was heading our way,thanks to this little mishap,now I know!
Onya Tony,a bit of publicity to keep your sponsors happy!
Is it just me or are there any others out there who might veiw this as a publicity stunt?

Cheers Scott

nigelr
19-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Yeh mate, awfully coincidental, what?
Like to know who his sponsors are........ ;)
Apologies for cynicism but hey, you get that...............
Can't play rl either! ;)

GBC
20-11-2006, 10:24 AM
It would seem there's a few desk driving seamen around here that are quick enough to hang a bloke before he's done anything......

Refer first post.

The man is a seaman, and he's bloody good at it.

Shipsys tracking transponders work through an aerial as well, and are just as prone to breaking as any other. The likes of AMSA aren't interested in tracking sailors because there's no money in it. (Tankers etc are tracked through our waters and levied for the privelage).

Active transponder tracking on the open ocean was introduced by insurance companies wanting to know where their ships/loads were, not by people who want to save lives.

Do you think these guys scrimp on safety equipment?? Get a grip.

Yes its dangerous, and yes there should be some form of commitment if you are rescued, but give em a break for following a dream.

Who would say no to the opportunity?

C.J.

B.F.A.
20-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Of coures the navy is a rescue outfit!!!! (there not an aide outfit either but if there was a disaster in the pacific they would be the first sent)What if during a time of war a pilot goes down over the ocean , is the airforce going to call VMR # # I'm sure the rescue was a very good training excercise and the real life component to it would have made it a very good one.

Gafym

i ,like you by the sounds of your reply know a sailor that was on the hmas Adelaide the day they rescued mr bullimore and he rates the rescue as one of his biggest high lights in 12 years navy service. I would say that counts as a fond memory #

ian

I think that getting drag of Christmas leave to go and rescue some mad salior in the middle of the southern ocean would not be my most fondest memory, but then again we only remember the good times ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Matt