PDA

View Full Version : What is it with the Moon.

saphire
18-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Hello Everybody,
I have heard so many stories about timing fishing trips according to the position of the moon.
Its such an important satelite influencing our survival on Earth. #So easy to take for granted as well.
If there was no moon we would not be here as the gravitational pull influences the speed the Earth spins at, and tides with the resulting conduction and constantly trying to even out of ocean temperatures. This then plays a huge part in our weather. #I could go on and on here but I wont.
I found this article about the moon in an astrology web site but it made me think about how people go fishing and planing of trips according to moon phases. #The article has nothing to do with fishing but it just sparked my train of thought in that direction.
I would really like to know if you do this and about the success you have had when using the moon as a guide to increase your catch.
Take care,
saphire.

Owen
18-11-2006, 06:11 PM
I always carefully work out the best tides, moon phases etc, carefully planning them so they co-ordinate with a rising or setting sun.
Then I just go fishing whenever the winds not blowing ;D
I'm sure it makes a difference, but I can't honestly say I've seen big enough differences that I could draw any sort of accurate conclusion.

cheers,
Owen

Glenn_Woods
18-11-2006, 07:07 PM
There are times when a full or near full moon is in my favour, but i also target other species on a new moon. The moon plays 1/3 of my planning.
Weather, day, night and the wife also determine when i go out. ;D

Woodsy

charleville
18-11-2006, 07:09 PM
" Since three-fourths of the human body is composed of water, it stands to reason that we, like the oceans, should respond to the magnetism of the Moon. "

Hmmm- must make a note to myself to only weigh myself when there is a full moon. ;D

If you look back on the events of your life, you'll probably find that some of the most successful jobs or relationships that you had began during the period of a New Moon.

That is true - I built a great relationship with a 15kg jew fish on a new moon night a couple of months ago. ;D

Emotions are usually intensified during the Full Moon

Also true - I was really cranky back on a full moon night in July with all the idiots making noise around where I was fishin' ;D .... http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1152396875

As the New Moon approaches again, pay attention to old ideas, pursuits, or relationships that might no longer be a healthy part of your life. This process of shedding is due to the cycle of spirit. In order to grow, it's necessary to let go of some things

I think that I shall take that advice and rid my self of my insatiable desire to watch Australian Idol ;D ;D and go fishing on Monday night instead. ;D ;D Yippeeee!!!

Seriously, though, it was a good read, thanks Saphire. :)

shorty01
18-11-2006, 08:37 PM
that is just plane werd :o

aussiefool
19-11-2006, 01:47 AM
for me I have never taken any interest in the moon stages, I have cought fish at every stage of the moon and there have been times when I have gotten nothing. For me I believe that if the fish are there and I'm there then there is a good chanch we will meet

fish_outta_water
19-11-2006, 05:02 AM
yup with you aussiefool ;) , fish all the time , just more or less water there when the moons full , can bring a few different species up usualy get more rays on big tides.
on a different note ive been having strange blackouts on full and new moons for the last few years, doc thinks epilepsy. not werewolf ::)
owen with all those critera id never get out here ,always windy or raining :)
tightlines

seatime
19-11-2006, 06:14 AM
Never really been into those moon phase/best fishing times charts or theories, comes down more to work commitments and the weather on the day.

However, spring or neap tides, tidal flow, etc, can come into play in the estuaries. Big tides seem to be better for crabbing and getting in closer to mangroves.
A full moon when overnighting allows me to see the line & hooks easier too.
Haven't noticed much difference when outside reef fishing or trolling for pelagics, except for water depth on the Sth Passage bar.

regards
Steve

Grand_Marlin
19-11-2006, 06:43 AM
Definitely a full moon and low tide, tried and tested....

Full moon means you can see what you are doing....

Low tide means there is a lot less water for the fish to hide in...

You cant loose :o

Cheers

Pete ;D

cracker
19-11-2006, 06:47 PM
sapphire, depends what you are targeting, i've found that around the full moon, you should target your pelagic species, such as mackerel, marlin, dolphin fish, wahoo, and kingys. i have found it hard at times on the full moon when fishing the bottom but on saying that have had a good day also. one good reason for saying "target the pelagics around the full moon" is you will see that most of the marlin tournaments are featured around the full moon
good luck, and all the best, i personally stick to the KISS principal. KEEP IT SIMPLE, dont think too much but be confident
crackers ;) ;)

Cheech
19-11-2006, 08:19 PM
One for the affirmative.

After diarising catches for the same area, I found that a certain tide and a certain phase of the moon (plus time of the day and wind direction) gave me better than average results. Not necessarily new and full moons either. So now I definately plan my trips around the moon.

Sea-Dog
19-11-2006, 09:30 PM
If all fish are under the starsign of Pisces, and I'm an Aquarius - Does that mean I should catch more fish, or just feel empathy for them?

It's new Moon 8:00 tomorrooooooooooooooooooooooow.

.............Sorry, I don't know what came over me ::)

Dignity
20-11-2006, 05:50 PM
different strokes for different people - 4days before a full moon and chase the snapper if i can, as for me old man he chases luderick and the full moon keeps them quiet, they come on at the first quarter

sam

charleville
20-11-2006, 11:54 PM
[b][i]
I think that I shall take that advice and rid my self of my insatiable desire to watch Australian Idol #;D ;D and go fishing on Monday night instead. # ;D ;D #Yippeeee!!!

Well, so much for that theory. :( # Went fishin' on my own at Mud Island tonight and did not see a scale all night. # :-[ I caught only a baby Shovvel-nose ray and a jelly fish that wrappd itself around my line. #:(

Ah well, will have to try again tomorrow morning... ;D

gogecko
21-11-2006, 11:01 AM
I fish whenever Ive got time off work, that forces me to work out where the fish are under different conditions.

I do look at tidal differences for run factor, and choose different locations based on tide.

I had a coversation with the boys in the local tackle shop last week, they reckon all the crabs, grubs, and crawly baits come out only in low light conditions. As bait is easier to spot in full moon, a lot of bait wont venture out from its rocky hideout, and predators wil go quiet then. Sounds like a good theory.

Andrew