PDA

View Full Version : I'm Off !!

Grand_Marlin
22-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Well, I suppose it isn't all that often that you get an offer like this, so I grabbed it while it was there....

I am flying to Cairns tonight and returning to Brisbane in 3 days time on the HMAS Townsville, one of our active Patrol Boats that frequents the top end of Australia looking for illegal activities.

My Brother is a crew member, and the Navy has decided to allow 12 people to join them on the trip.

On the way we get to see exactly how they operate the ship, participate in strategic exercises, fire live rounds from all artillery and yes, do some fishing as well #:)

My Brother is a mad keen fisho, and since he has been posted on townsville, he has everybody hooked on fishing, especially trolling for Pelagics.....

So, believe it or not, he has fabricated and welded rod holders on the back of the patrol boat, so they can all troll for Pelagics #:o :o

I will post some pics when I get back #8-)

Enjoy the rest of the working week, I will be thinking of you #;D

Cheers

Pete

charleville
22-11-2006, 03:48 PM
You lucky b.....

How does an average tax-payer get into that opportunity?

Have fun. :)

finga64
22-11-2006, 03:48 PM
ba--ard ;)
Enjoy :)

harry_h01
22-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Don't help them find the golden rivet Marlin

Those Navy guys are a bit like that from time to time

Best of luck, and we await some pics of your catches.

Harry

Blackened
22-11-2006, 03:56 PM
G'day
Nice work pete, get heaps of pictures.

Dave

Grand_Marlin
22-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Charleville,
It is a family invitation thing, so I guess the public will never get this opportunity.
They are coming to Brisbane on exercises anyway, so it is not as though it is a taxpayer funded holiday ... I am just going along for the ride.

Finga ... read it and weep mate :'( :'( :'(
It's not aften I get a day off, let alone 4 days, so, yeah - I am as happy as a dog with a tin d!ck ;D

Harry, if the golden rivit is mentioned, I will tell them straight up that I replaced it with a Platinum one ... take a look :D
I 'spose I am better off getting in first ;D ;D

I will get some pics Dave...

Any orders for Spanish Mackeral?? Yellowfin Tuna?? 8-) 8-)

I shouldn't speak too soon, it will probably be as rough as guts, I will be crook all the way ... and catch no fish .... :-[ :( :'(

Nope ... just checked - 10 to 15 knot northerlies all week - all is sweet :-*

Cheers

Pete

ps I hear Lindeman Island is nice at this time of year ;D

marlinqld
22-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Hey pete, i've never seen a dog with a tin d!ck ;D ;D

Mike

PS: enjoy the trip

4x4frog
22-11-2006, 04:52 PM
Do you reckon you wil have to get them to slow down, a Palegic wouldn't be abletp catch a trolled lure form a PB?? :) Haha, if they were built by the same mob that built the Collins Sub the fish would pull the boat ;D
Enjoy, Grand_Marlin
Be sure to take a hand held GPS so you can plot all the fishy spots ;)

Poodroo
22-11-2006, 05:13 PM
Gee Grand_Marlin. Did we really need to hear that? ::) I'd give my...no wait, my brother's entire fishing gear collection to go on that trip with you. ;D Enjoy mate. Look forward to seeing the report "with pics" upon your return. ;)

Regards,

Poodroo

4x4frog
22-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Gee Grand_Marlin. Did we really need to hear that? #::) I'd give my...no wait, my brother's entire fishing gear collection to go on that trip with you. ;D Enjoy mate. Look forward to seeing the report "with pics" upon your return. #;)

Regards,

Poodroo
Only pics of fish too and no rivets ;D

theoldlegend
22-11-2006, 05:54 PM
Any torpedoes on board?

I reckon it'd be a real blast to torpedo some pelagics. Would give you a great sense of power. 8-)

Ask the skipper if he could spare a couple for target practice. The country would probably have to borrow from the Yanks to pay for them though. :(

TOL

thehoodedwarriors
22-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Have a fantastic time, my other half went on HMAS Anzac out field when he was in the army as a tank commander and had a ball. Will be expecting photos when you get back.

lucky ........................ !

enjoy
regards
Brett & Nichole

StevenM
22-11-2006, 06:41 PM
Sounds like a experience that you wont forget quickly Pete

Cant wait for the snaps

cheers

Steven

tunaman
22-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Is that what the smell was. ;D ;D ;D

Have a good trip mate.

signed tunaman ;D

2iar
22-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Well done Pete.

Just remember it's a holiday, so have fun...no re-wiring the boat or fixing up anything you don't like. I know what you're like ;)

Good luck,
Mike

Homer_Jay
22-11-2006, 08:00 PM
Good stuff Pete. I am so jealous. Make sure you give us the full report when you get back.

2DKnBJ
22-11-2006, 10:36 PM
Isn't there a cyclone up there somewhere ;D ;)
Look foward to the report and some pics on your return.

Cheeers Dazza

Fishin_Dan
23-11-2006, 06:42 AM
Nice one Pete!!!

You could do some crafty rewiring for fun though.... They get to the war games, captain yells "fire"! They push the button...... And the windscreen wipers start wiping ;D

aussiefool
23-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Nice one Pete!!!

You could do some crafty rewiring for fun though.... They get to the war games, captain yells "fire"! They push the button...... And the windscreen wipers start wiping #;D

Funny you should say that, when I was in the Navy...... oopps ... never mind some things are better left unsaid

BigE
23-11-2006, 05:57 PM
have a good time G_M and have a sticky at the radar ........... never know what pinickles you might find, and you have torpedos so i guess it is your spot X ......... hmmmm torpedos you could possibly make some new ones of your own if you come across any fishing junks!

BigE

PS navy charts would be woth a keen look!!

Jeremy
24-11-2006, 09:49 AM
never thought I'd see the day when you would jump at the chance to go out on a mono-hull ;D ;D Don't think there will be any pictures from the bridge either :o

Jeremy