PDA

View Full Version : Places you've slept! ( A tribute to Kingcobe)

JasonT
20-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Without going into to the trip specifics (to be covered in a report by BrandonH - Have you got your stickers yet mate? ;D ;D ) I had the pleasure of spending yesterday with Kingtin, Kingcobe and BrandonH off moreton, and mud. The wind was up a little and a healthy swell kept us bumping around quite well.
During a couple of the moves between spots, I spotted young Kingcobe sound asleep in one of the rear-facing seats in Kingtins Whittley.
Ok.. nothing too extraordinary there.... Except that I was having trouble staying in my seat over the swell etc and I was AWAKE!
This lad not only managed to stay firmly in his seat, he also managed to sleep almost all the way!
Top marks young fella! I was wishing I was you at times :-)
My complements to you on the way you handled yourself. You're very polite and courteous (offering to stand so that I could be seated - when does that happen these days???) and a credit to your Mum and Dad!

This got me thinking... (not the good behaviour - the sleeping!)

The weirdest place I have managed to get to sleep would have to be in a grenade shelter during a live fire practice. Despite the lound thumps I managed an hour or so, which after the preceeding night was very welcome!

What's the weirdest / most unexpected place you've managed to sleep?

JT

blaze
20-11-2006, 11:47 AM
Back in a former life as a long haired bike riding ruffian (and I mean long haired), pulled up one night to get some sleep after a long ride, fairly windy so decided that the smart thing to do was roll the swag out in a dry ditch beside the road. Lovely nights sleep, warm, outa the wind. Woke in the morning feeling refreshed and ready to ride, Run my hands through my hair (dont think I owned a comb them days) and thought WTF, I had slept in a ditch full of bussies and my hair and upper body was totally matt with them, took a month to get them all out.
cheers
blaze

JasonT
20-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Cheers Blaze!
What are bussies?

JT

thedeckie
20-11-2006, 01:23 PM
What do you mean by former life!!! :o

Long haired ruffian ;D ;D

Paul

Fat_Chilli
20-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Whilst hitching across Canada a couple of years ago I couldn't get a ride, so I ended up trying (got a little) to sleep on the outskirts of Calgary in Winter. I scraped a snow clearing down to the grass and spent the night in a minus 28 rated sleeping bag and gortex bivvy bag, the problem was that it was minus 35 that night without the wind chill factor. I froze #:(. When I woke up there was a 5 mm layer of ice caused by condensation inbetween the sleeping bag and the bivvy bag. It was horrible.

Slept in a gutter one night whilst helping out during the Newcastle earthquake. Slept too many weird places wearing a green uniform, If your tired enough you can sleep just about anywhere (almost).

bidkev
20-11-2006, 02:06 PM
<snip>
My complements to you on the way you handled yourself. You're very polite and courteous (offering to stand so that I could be seated - when does that happen these days???) and a credit to your Mum and Dad!
<snip>

JT

Jason, Jason, Jason <sigh> You naive young soul! ;D The boy just wanted *you* to fall asleep so that he could polish off your bikkies and then water bomb you. ;D

Weirdest and most unexpected sleeping places eh? Well, I lived rough for 6 months so I could relate a myriad of places.........doorways, skips, telephone booths.......nothing too luxurious ;D

I also fell asleep in Angela Jolie's bedroom........3 times!..........but that was only in my dreams ;D She had the wet patch by the way ;D ;D

Unexpected place was the deckie's tent (before we were married) on a Combined Services Expedition.........was woken in the morning by a very surprised Duty officer :o ::) ;D he wasn't half as surprised as me! ;D ;D ;D

Fell asleep on the roof of the red sea hotel in Aden when we commandeered it. It was all Y fronts and dick togs back then so we sunbaked nude with just a strip of towel over our brains ;D Woke up a good while after the towel had blown off and had 3rd degree burns to the winkle........could hardly walk so saw the medical officer who, with no sympathy and a heart of steel, placed me on CO's orders where I subsequently was sentenced to 14 days loss of pay for "dereliction of duty via self-inflicted wounds" ::) ::) Those blisters were huge man and the only upside was that I got free ##### enlargement, despite not being able to utilise it for weeks ;D ;D

Weirdest place was when I was about 12. I was an avid collecter of bird's eggs and had climbed this huge tree to "rescue" some herons eggs and got stuck. My mate went off to get the fire brigade and I fell asleep in the heron's nest :o Wouldn't have been so bad if the eggs had've been there 'cause I could've made a few bucks selling 'em.......the nest was bare except for a heap of droppings ;D

When I was 15 I went on holiday on my own to visit a female pen pal in Bordeaux France. Fell asleep on the train and woke up in Toulouse ::) Credit to the Froggies, they let me ride back up the line for free.

kev...........Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz whart was the question again? ;D

JasonT
20-11-2006, 02:27 PM
LOL ;D ;D ;D
Thanks Kingtin!
Me and the winkle are off to a tanning salon! ;D

JT

blaze
20-11-2006, 03:05 PM
Cheers Blaze!
What are bussies?

JT

Hi JT
best descibed as a small (about 19mm) thing that looks a bit like a thistle flower in shape but with the uncanny ability to uses there soft spiney surface to latch onto every thing in sight, now multiply that by hundereds or maybe thousands depending on how thick the low bush/weed type plants are about at the time.
cheers
blaze

blaze
20-11-2006, 03:06 PM
What do you mean by former life!!! #:o

Long haired ruffian #;D ;D

Paul

Hi Paul
Your at work eh
cheers
blaze

JasonT
20-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks Blaze...
I think they're what I know as cobblers pegs?
Little black spine like things.. Not sharp, or hard, but reasonably soft, with one end full of little bits that stick to you?
Great for socks!

I remember starting in an 800m race at primary school.. Got off the mark well, but ran into a "wait a while" branch about 30m from the start! That hurt!
They call them "wait-a-while" because it usually takes some time to extract yourself with as little pain as possible!

JT

Fat_Chilli
20-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Woke up a good while after the towel had blown off and had 3rd degree burns to the winkle........

The thought of that is enough to make my skin crawl #:-X :'(, but then again so is the thought of you nuding up #;D #:o ;D.

Yikes!!!

thehoodedwarriors
20-11-2006, 04:37 PM
<snip>
My complements to you on the way you handled yourself. You're very polite and courteous (offering to stand so that I could be seated - #when does that happen these days???) and a credit to your Mum and Dad!
<snip>

JT

Jason, Jason, Jason <sigh> You naive young soul! ;D The boy just wanted *you* to fall asleep so that he could polish off your bikkies and then water bomb you. ;D

Weirdest and most unexpected sleeping places eh? Well, I lived rough for 6 months so I could relate a myriad of places.........doorways, skips, telephone booths.......nothing too luxurious ;D

I also fell asleep in Angela Jolie's bedroom........3 times!..........but that was only in my dreams ;D She had the wet patch by the way ;D ;D

Unexpected place was the deckie's tent (before we were married) on a Combined Services Expedition.........was woken in the morning by a very surprised Duty officer :o ::) ;D he wasn't half as surprised as me! #;D ;D ;D

Fell asleep on the roof of the red sea hotel in Aden when we commandeered it. It was all Y fronts and dick togs back then so we sunbaked nude with just a strip of towel over our brains ;D Woke up a good while after the towel had blown off and had 3rd degree burns to the winkle........could hardly walk so saw the medical officer who, with no sympathy and a heart of steel, placed me on CO's orders where I subsequently was sentenced to 14 days loss of pay for "dereliction of duty via self-inflicted wounds" #::) ::) Those blisters were huge man and the only upside was that I got free ##### enlargement, despite not being able to utilise it for weeks ;D ;D

Weirdest place was when I was about 12. I was an avid collecter of bird's eggs and had climbed this huge tree to "rescue" some herons eggs and got stuck. My mate went off to get the fire brigade and I fell asleep in the heron's nest :o Wouldn't have been so bad if the eggs had've been there 'cause I could've made a few bucks selling 'em.......the nest was bare except for a heap of droppings ;D

When I was 15 I went on holiday on my own to visit a female pen pal in Bordeaux France. Fell asleep on the train and woke up in Toulouse ::) Credit to the Froggies, they let me ride back up the line for free.

kev...........Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz whart was the question again? ;D

Speaking of sunburn ask fat_chilli and the hoodedwarriors what they did yesterday the 2 of them went out over the seaway to the graval patch and surrounds yesterday and both of them look like racoons with sun burnt tops o the hands and sunglass tans, Brett even had to go to the docor today to make sure it wasn't going to cause any major damage.

And the best "weird" place I have ever fell asleep was waiting in the car at the boat ramp opposite the grand hotel on the Gold Coast at about 4am. Was working on my uni stuff and waiting for the 2 above to get back and fell asleep in the drivers side. Woke up to 4 old guys in budge smugglers ready to go for a swim, tapping on my window asking if I was alright.

So remember if you see my white corolla with the "only good cowgirls keep their calves together" on the ramp come and knock on the window and say g'day. no doubt I will be in these snoring away. ;D ;D ;D

Taipan
20-11-2006, 05:43 PM
I'd have to say "one" of the strangest places i have fallen asleep was way back when i was 12. My cousin took me to a Meatloaf concert back in Brisvegas. Was'nt my kind of music, so i thought y stay awake!!!

One of the most recent would have been in the cargo hold of a C130 coming back from Shoalwater.

Sportfish_5
20-11-2006, 07:28 PM
The Ice Hotel in Lapland ;) ::) 8-)

subzero
20-11-2006, 07:49 PM
Back home in Palmerston North NZ, middle of winter, went to pay the rent and the landlady wasnt their so I went to the Albert Hotel across the road. Spent the rent and all my wages, got totally mullocked.

Woke up on top of a power box thing in Cuba St at about 6am, it was humming away quite nicely and was warm on the top with a good frost all around on the ground.
The worst of it was when I stumbled home the old girl was waiting up and very cranky... wanted to know where our new car was? Car, what bloody car??? Apparantly I had taken the car when I went out, took 2 days to find it when I finally reported it as stolen to the Police. WRONG, I had parked on a fire hydrant and they had towed it to the Police Station. I was a very embarressed and very stupid young bloke.

Cheers Lloyd

2DKnBJ
20-11-2006, 08:14 PM
Fell asleep in my own bed three times and was taken advantage of every time.
I now have 3 kids ;D :o ::)

Cheers Dazza

rtranter
20-11-2006, 08:14 PM
Not quite up there with you lot, but i have fallen asleep on a metal work bench while on dog watch at BHP Newcastle, that was a while back :-[.
Then with a few mates on the turps at Tea Gardens RSL we shot through and went for a look see at the Flash Boats and House Boats, well one was open so in we went for a bopeep, and off to sleep we went. Woke around six am grabbed the mate and shot through before we got nabbed. :-[ :-[
Coldest sleep? lived out around Wallabadah (Tamworth) came home from the Pub grabed the swag and went slept in the paddock, woke with half inch frost on the swag, and the old border collie next to me (hung over) me not the dog
Rob 8-).

Obi___Wan
20-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Angelina Jolie's bed hey Kev, you lucky bugger ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I slept in Sophie Faulkner's bed one night but she wasn't there when i woke up, just my cattle dog asleep on the floor beside my bed, but oh man that Sophie was good ;D ;D ;D in my dreams ;D ;D ;D

When i was i young bloke i had a real skinfull at the local, when i got home to the boarding house (i still don't know how i got there) i apparently crawled up the stairs but only got half way up and went to sleep on the stairs in the crawling position.

Things you do when you are young and stupid ;D ;D ;D

OBI_WAN

2iar
20-11-2006, 09:28 PM
A Tardis. ::)

Well, not quite, but close - have you ever seen those Police boxes they used to have in the UK? Well I spent part of a night in the one they had just near Edinburgh castle. Very, very drunk. I figured I shouldn't stay too much longer after waking up and polishing off the local cop's cut lunch that he'd left in there, just to tempt me ;D

On top of Uluru was another one that I won't go into. And I fell asleep on a tram in San Diego once and woke up in Mexico. There may have been alcohol involved there too. There's a bit of a theme here... :-X

Good luck,
Mike Someone else, not Mike though ;)

snasman
20-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Hi all I'm ex army(grunt) so the list there is just far to great to type out, but #the most memerable experiance was quite a few years back now when I was about 20 years old and my first tinnie it was a stacer 3.8 with the 2 bench seats one up the front and 1 down the back,A heap of us had gotten together and hired a house boat for a week down at fishermans wharf during the colder months of the year,as we were anchored off of fisho's for a few days a change of scenery was called for and we decided to head up to tipplers to have a resturant feed and a run around on the beach,not being the most patient person I grabbed a mate of mine the only other bloke on the boat out of 20 odd that fished and head up towards tipplers with lots of fishing stops on the way,about mid after noon we had enough fishing and headed for the resort to grab a late lunch and show off our catch to the rest of the lads only they hadnt arrived as yet ,no problem we were young and cashed up so a stint at the bar was called for after a few drinks I said we had better go find the rest of these clowns b4 we get to plastered ,so off we went to find the largest house boat we could rent in those days we ended up back at fishos and asked a dozen or so other boats on the way if they had seen ours all answers we a NO,so back to Tipplers to wait for them at the BAR (in those days mobile phones cost about 3grand and were about as large as a bessa brick )so we waited and drank and waited and drank more, at closing time our friends still hadnt turned up and neither of us would have been capable of driving a boat so we staggered back to my tinnie torn the carpet up and slept between that and the wooden floor that had been fitted to the boat ,we were so cold it wasnt funny 2 blokes in t shirts, shorts and thongs in a tinnie with smelly damp carpet over us,at some stage during the night my mate went searching for something else to put over us and came back with a lovely smelling collection of xxxx bar towles he had knocked off from the bar,probably not to bad if you drink beer ,I dont, now during the night the tide went out and the boat was high and dry with #me being the larger of the 2 the boat tipped towards my side and my mate kept sliding down almost on top of me so Im waking him up and telling him to rack off get on your side of the boat after about the 4th time we realiled what had happened and got out of the boat to drag it back in the water ,no easy feat in our condition thats the sleeping part of the story taken care of but the dramas didnt end there all my spare fuel was on the house boat and I was almost empty so driving very economically we found a fuel stop in the beacon to beacon book not to far back towards fishos only problem was they had no fuel till about midday(fuel truck hadnt arrived) but they pointed us in a direction were we could get some fuel,so off we go again only to run out of go gas ,actually we didnt run out but the old steel tank I had back then would not pick the last 10% in the tank so a quick modification to a 1 litre coke bottle lid was made(made small hole so fuel line could be pushed through it ) and the remaining fuel poured into the coke bottle joined the 2 together and had almost 1 whole litre of fuel to get us to the next stop we had to row the last 200 meters roughly but made it to the fuel station that opened #an hour #later ,we made a few phone calls from the servo and found out that the house boat didnt have enough horse power to #get past the sea way on a out going tide so they turned around and #headed to the conrad treasury for the night.THE END.
# # # # # # # # #Cheers Snas # ;D

Homer_Jay
21-11-2006, 06:27 AM
Weirdest place I have slept......... well in my younger years it just depended on how much I had to drink. Woke up quite a few times and thought WTF how the hell did I get here. ;D ;D

sushi_fish01
21-11-2006, 08:08 AM
Slept under the stage of the red bull tent at schoolies on the gold coast with nothin but a napsack..alcohol kept me warm 2nd nite i upgraded to the roof of a pool house in some random units... good times ;D

major-defect
21-11-2006, 10:55 AM
There used to be a paticular shrub I used to like to sleep under when the boot got too wobbly to get me home from the pub many years ago.

bidkev
21-11-2006, 11:15 AM
This one I forgot ::) Another excerpt from my autobiography................now this *was* a deep sleep! ;D ;D

I was shortcutting through the park one day when I saw Tony with a group of boys. I was approached by two of them, one of them was called ********** and he went on to play football for Everton. God he was a big bugger! Now, here are a couple of lads that I was frightened of. They went to Tony’s school and what transpired in the next few minutes was that Tony had told them that I had said that they were soft bastards and if I ever saw them I would kill them. We were stood alongside the gondola, a wooden plank that went upwards in a circular motion when “worked” from each end. Tony just stood smirking whilst I denied saying, what I supposedly had said. “You’re a f*****g liar”, Tony said, “go on, kill him R”. I was walking backward repeating that I didn’t want any trouble when R lunged at me so I threw a right. I felt this horrendous pain shoot through my arm. I’d missed Rog and hit the bloody iron bars supporting the gondola. My fist was the size of a football and hurt like hell. My memory just exists of this pain in my hand, a sort of haze with flashing lights. I remember backing away from R and then nothing. The next thing I awake in hospital with a colis fracture of the hand, and another six stitches in the chin, (different place this time!) What had happened is this. As I stepped away, I had stepped into the path of the gondola, and it had caught me square on the chin lifting me into the air. Luckily, someone, whose house overlooked the park, saw the incident and dialled the police. All the kids had legged it and left me there unconscious.

kev

JasonT
21-11-2006, 11:36 AM
lol... geez Kev!

You've certainly led an interesting life!

Kind of amazing that you're here now to tell us all about it!
:)

When's the autobiography being published?
Or is it already??
;D

JT

jayman
21-11-2006, 12:22 PM
A mate feel asleep at work after a night
at the rubbity. problem was work consisted
of a D10 cattepillar. Woke up Across 4 100acre
paddock with a 40 foot pile of topsoil and fence wire, and
a screaming cocky.

Fishin_Dan
21-11-2006, 12:44 PM
Geez...... Way too many places to remember (Mainly cause most of them I can't! ;D)

Under tables at pubs a few times.... Bus stops..... St Vinnies bins..... Backyards..... Sheds..... etc etc etc. Anything I could find, or when I finally fell down is usually where I slept ;D

I once woke up under a tap in someones front yard. The tap was still on, and the owner of the house was tapping me asking if I was ok. My friend (that I had gone looking for) had passed out in his flower bed, and he thought that guys and girls shouldn't get so drunk and run around neighbourhoods! ;D ;D ;D

bidkev
21-11-2006, 02:41 PM
lol... geez Kev!

You've certainly led an interesting life!

Kind of amazing that you're here now to tell us all about it!
:)

When's the autobiography being published?
Or is it already??
;D

It's only in draft form atm........more like a diary than an autobiography. It needs a lot of tweeking..like me ;D

kev

Dirtysanchez
21-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Errr, years ago with no hope of getting home from the Surf life saver's club party the collex at the end of the car park accomodated me from around 3am til 6am. Luckily it was mostly boxes and stuff that didn't stink

I had heard stories about homeless people being killed by the compactor of these garbage trucks, so around 6am when I heard a truck engine I woke up really quickly and leapt out.. it was just the butchers truck delivering meat for the BBQ party someone had booked at the club #:-[

Thankfully the beach was close so I nipped down, stripped to me Reg Grundy's and had a reviving swim, then the legs worked a bit better so the long trudge home commenced #::)

woodchopper
21-11-2006, 05:01 PM
I was at a bonfire party one winter and when the fire had died down to warm ashes and all the beer consumed i witnessed one of my mates sweep away ashes in the middle of the fire and pass out there. I woke up several hours later freezing my tits off (slept in tent myself) and walked over to him and found that the ground was still warm so i cleared my own area and followed suit.

When i was seventeen......I drank some very good beer.........

Beno

sleepygreg
22-11-2006, 01:58 AM
Well.....i didnt get me nickname for nothin.

whenever a saturday morning fishing trip was on I was interested........but so was a friday night out on the turps. Come to think of it.....saturday nite on the turps was still on as well......and sunday fishin trips!!!!. There isnt a boat i have fished on that i couldnt find a place to curl up and sleep. the clincher was when my uncle bought a 4.5 metre quinnnie centre console with all the trimmings......went out of Jervis bay.....4 of us on board with all the gear.......30 knot gale blowing....and he said to em.....no way greg is gonna sleep now......guess what??? If ya position yaself just right ya can curl up round the centre console with a life jacket as a pillow..and still keep out of everyones way.......and still grab ya rod when the it goes off.....hehehehe i caught the first fish out of the boat....was a 3kg silver trevor. Ahh well.....some of have it...and some of us dont.

Greg

insideout
22-11-2006, 08:12 PM
ive slept in some places that have also been mentioned but what takes the cake is that a rele of mine was at a party at a small airport one night and was very drunk, walked up a set of stairs( that you board aircraft from) which happened to be next to a windsock,fell in of course, struggeled for a while to get out ,could not, went to sleep! woke up next day, to the sound of sirens, they were trying to get him out!

saphire
25-11-2006, 07:52 PM
The worst night sleep I ever had was on a train to Cairns.
Should have got a sleeper not economy.
Oh well.... live and learn.
saphire.

fish_outta_water
25-11-2006, 08:18 PM
hi guys :)
many places while on the road hitchin , small "bus?" shelter outside of innisfall , woke up curled up with stray dog , dont know who smelled worsed me or him :-/
another time whilst hungover fell asleep on deck under my rod , heard my drag go off , but couldnt get up . being a slow day the crew had got bored and duct taped me to the deck :-[ didnt mind but the drag wasnt a fish just one of them backed my dragg right off :(
tightlines

lippa
26-11-2006, 07:26 AM
a few years ago, when cold chisel toured, on the last wave of summer, tour, i had tickets(was/am a mad chisel fan). in the morning the we went up the coast with the boys and got shitfaced!!!! a carton of xxxx's finest later. i was at the concert. it was going off, as you would expect, and i was having a ball!!!!!!, a song came on i wasn't fammilliar with, ( it was off there new album) so i sat back on the chair, to relax. well that was it, i slept through an hour of jimmy screaming his lungs out, and my gf at the time trying to wake me up. most people had left the entertainment centre by the time security has finally woken me!!!!!! bugger misssed probably the best concert, i'll ever get to see!!!!! :'(

cheeers

lippa

nigelr
26-11-2006, 04:14 PM
Under a combi in the rain, big hill south of crescent head, 1971 in my early surfing days. We had just met an older lad who rolled into the small campsite, just back from morocco. Not suprisingly the highlight of the night was checking the phosphorous on the beach, pretty amazing to city boys! 5 others attempted to sleep inside the combi that night, i had the better nights sleep...............except for the mozzies ::)............i could add a few to this...........