PDA

View Full Version : Fish ID

DR
29-11-2006, 03:39 PM
i don't know if this should be in saltwater or freshwater.
this was in the local paper. I am assuming from the article that the river mentioned is the Albert, the pic has me confused. can someone ID this fish as i assume they are suggesting these can be caught in th Albert :-/

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j130/helloMrWhiskers/grrr1.jpg

BrandonH
29-11-2006, 03:49 PM
WTF :o

that dosn't look like any fish that would be caught in the Albert or any river that I know of :-/ Is it even an australian fish!!! ;D ;D ;D
Who knows where the Jurno found the pic ::)

cheers
Brandon...

Lucky_Phill
29-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Good question Dave,

The fish looks to have Pink above the lateral line, which to me makes me lean towrads a Saltwater species. Then, looking at the mouth..no visible signs of teeth and small in structure,,,,,,,looking like Fresh.

Looks like a river or lake in the background.

Dunno. where's Nugget when ya need him ??

Phill

Dodgy_Back
29-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Being an Add for some sort of realestate, I'd say it's a picture the Add agency sourced from some sort of photo portfolio.

With as much detail put into it as those bill boards you see to advertise great family holiday destinations with kids holding a Flathead that's been dead for a week or two.

Mick

DR
29-11-2006, 03:57 PM
must admit it is a bit tongue in cheek as it is like nothing i have seen in Aussie waters, could be wrong.
reminds me of a graphic artist i once worked with, they did artwork for a flash seafood restaurant in Cairns & used a Brown Trout as the main feature, when i pointed out it would probably be better not to have coldwater/freshwater fish on a tropical seafood restaurant they were a bit indignant but changed it... to some sort of aquarium fish i had never seen..at least it looked tropical :P

Freeeedom
29-11-2006, 05:34 PM
It looks a bit like a southern fusilier which is commonly caught on shallow offshore reefs in southern Queensland. They are brilliantly coloured when first caught but quickly fade on death. I've often caught them around Flinders Reef and the shallow reefs around Cape Moreton. One thing's for sure - it was caught nowhere near the Logan River
Cheers Freeeedom

land-lubber
29-11-2006, 06:29 PM
id have to agree with freeedom, its definately not an esturine spicies, looks to be a fusiler of some sort. Id also vote that the fish was bought from the fish market and taken for the photo as the rod, gear the guy is wearing isnt real conducive to reef fishn and the boat hes on lloks like a yaght? It isnt uncommon for ads to have bought fish in them

moondancer
29-11-2006, 07:11 PM
It's colloquiolly known as a stunned mullett!!! Which is how you bnormally respond to Real Estate ads!!! ;D ;D ;D

murf
30-11-2006, 07:33 AM
I am with Freeeedom and land-lubber
Murf

onerabbit
30-11-2006, 08:16 PM
# # Dunno why, cant get the fish photo.

# # Muzz

Sorry guys, pic arrived after I posted

Lucky_Phill
30-11-2006, 08:36 PM
Yep, my thought was a Fussilier at first as I have caught many of them, but the ' pink ' threw me....

If it was blue where the pink is, then it's a Southern Fussilier or commonly known as a ' Banana Fish ". Good trolling bait.

I think more investigation is required Dave. and then an indepth letter of profound confusion to the paper, the advertizer and the R/E company, asking for a please explain. Then again, would they really care ?

I too took umbrage to a " 5 star " restaurant some time ago that had a Coral Cod displayed whole in the Buffet, only to have it labeled Coral Trout and floggin it as a such on the menu, no mention of Coral Cod. Staff were appologetic, owner un-amussed, customers cheated. :(

Phill

Poodroo
30-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Have never seen anything like that caught around here. Maybe they don't like tupperware? :D

Poodroo