PDA

View Full Version : Anglers Almanac

Glenn_Woods
27-11-2006, 08:12 PM
Hey Guy's. Thought i'd do a poll on this subject as i use an Almanac as i beleive alot of study has gone into it, so there must be something good in it. But i have found no difference really.
What do you recon for $4.95 #Good value or ripped off. #:)

# # Woodsy

blaze
27-11-2006, 08:35 PM
Hi Glen
I fish for relaxation, its good to catch a feed but in the end if the fish dont play the game it dont matter.
cheers
blaze

NeilD
27-11-2006, 09:12 PM
From what I have seen they concentrate on new and full moons. This is a time of larger tides and the old saying "no run no fun" holds true for many situations. Theres a lot more to catching fish than picking a day out of an Almanac

Neil

marlinqld
28-11-2006, 06:19 AM
i am with Blaze...... love boating, catching a fish is a bonus

Mike

finga64
28-11-2006, 07:56 AM
Brought one once...looked at it once and that was that. Bloody impulse buying. They should ban things sitting at the checkouts :-[
I make it a rule to fish any day possible. I don't care about the tides, moon phase, colour of the water, direction the pelicans are sitting on the water blah, blah, blah . As long as there is water and I can go, I'm goooooone. :)

BilgeBoy
28-11-2006, 08:19 AM
Gravity is a Myth....the Earth Sux ;D ;D

There are those that live by these guides....personaly any excuss NOT to go fishing is a bad one!!

Bilgeboy

Brett1907
28-11-2006, 09:04 AM
My little handhelp GPS gives me best times to fish.

It should say ANYTIME!!!! :D :D :D

Never used an almanac. But I do have a tide chart on my desk at work, clipped to my sun visor in my car, in my tackle box. I'd have one on my bedside table but the nightwatchman would shoot me if I took her photo out of the frame!!LOL ;D ;D

Brett

RayB
28-11-2006, 09:43 AM
The best time of the month to go fishing is when the misses says its OK and I'm pretty sure she doesn't consult the Almanac.

I have been thinking of getting an Alamanac

cheers
Raymond

dogsbody
28-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Ive used it a few times jury still out. Mainly to see how much run there will be, some places you fish you need a slower tide to drift for a better chance.

Dave.

aussiefool
29-11-2006, 05:13 AM
I was given one once,by my non- fishing boss It was out of date. So I looked back through it and though what a load of #:-X :-X :-X, On day it said that the fishing would be good .... nothing and on day that it said there would be no fish, top days fishing so I just tossed it and never looked at one again

Louis
29-11-2006, 03:10 PM
I don't use one but only because I prefer to fish "Gentlemen Hours" these days and Fishing, as I have gotten older, is more about getting out into and enjoying nature, rather than actually catching a fish.

However, I have noted when I was younger, that the almanac was a good predicter of bait fish activity.

I would particularily recommend one to anybody interested in optimising his chances with a seine net or cast net. #

Louis

Lucky_Phill
29-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Glenn,

the Almanac guide is based around offshore fishing and in particular reef fishing. Digging into the origins of this, it dates back to the Maori Tide Guides, or Solunar Tables etc. all associated with each other.

If you look closely at the guides and do some sums, you'll note that the ' black ' ( best ) days for fishing are around the new and full moon, also the bite periods are fairly well close to either the bottom or the top of the tide. It also will show the connection of bite periods in relation to Moon overhead and Moon Below, moon rise and set.

Again, all the Almanac guide does is assist you in " fishing the percentages ". and again, it is associated with reef fishing.

Many other influences are to be calculated for bay, estuary, freshwater fishing, etc.

But, as eluded to by many here, including me Tassie mate, if you have a bait in the water, no matter what the Almanac says, you are a chance to catch a fish.

OH, and to answer your question, Yes, I use the guide. But certainly make up my own mind on when to hit the briney.

Cheers Phill

liltuffy
30-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Hey Woodsy, keep your money for fuel. Take a look at www.predictweather.com then go to "fishing calendar for anywhere in the world". Here is an almanac that differs a little bit from Nugget's predictions but at least you get for nix.

Cheers

Glenn_Woods
02-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Thanks liltuffy. I did check that site out and found it okay. I will use this in future and save the $$$ for the fuel. The cost of fuel. Now that's another story. Cheers.

Woodsy

hardb8
02-12-2006, 09:08 PM
It would be intresting to compare it to my personal diary.I find the Mrs, LOL,And the moons have the most effect on my better sessions.

I don't use the almanac myself,But one of my m8's swears by the thing.He does well in both fresh and salt.