PDA

View Full Version : What's the most disgusting bait you've used??

finga64
01-12-2006, 06:35 AM
Just reading in the reports offshore and I was reminded of a fishing trip a mate, my brother and I went on in the Logan river many years ago.
The story...An old bloke gave me some live worms after I did a job for him on the Tuesday or Wednesday. Funnily enough I had the boat with me and I put them straight in the boat. I forgot all about them until we were going to go fishing on the Sunday.
Well a few days in the sun in wet sand gave the worms a very pungent odour to say the least.
The other two wanted to toss them.....nancy boys thought they stunk too much to bung them on a hook (they were worried the stink would get on their Sao's and vegemite at smoko)....I wasn't going to waste them...I'll use them to see what happens. :)
Well, the bream I got that day was outstanding I was happier then Larry and they couldn't bash the smirk off my face with the dogfish donger after me landing the 3rd or 4th fish and they hadn't had a bite.
Tally for that day...stinky worms... lots and lots
.....all other prime baits...nil

So what the most disgusting bait you've used and what did you catch?? :)

T1
01-12-2006, 08:32 AM
When i was a kid, my dad used to manage an abbatoir at Beaudesert. One day he brought home some bull's balls which he duly took with us on a fishing trip with some mates. My mate and I drew the lucky prize and sat there all day with bits of balls on our hooks :-? :o...

Not sure whether the plan was for us to catch some cows or not but needless to say (from memory), we were the only 2 that caught nothing! I still remind my dad of that experience and he just laughs ;D It will certainly be a story to tell the kids when they're old enough!

Take Care T

S.S.
01-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Chook heads in the crab pots............... Pooooooooooooooo Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ;D

Noelm
01-12-2006, 08:50 AM
oh yeah we used to use sheeps heads in the lobster pots, you haven't lived 'till you pull one of those up after a few days, and once we were on holidays and we used to leave 'stuff" in the boat over night because freezer space was limited, we had a few days bad weather and forgot about two bags of pilchards in the fish box in the boat, what a stink after 4 days, maggots as big as worms!

Noelm
01-12-2006, 08:55 AM
I forgot to add, we used the maggots to catch yackas and slimies the next day, in conjuction with a handfull of rotted pillies thrown over the side, they worked a treat.

marlinqld
01-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Offal...sheeps liver......... peeeewwwwkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!

Mike

Sea_Change
01-12-2006, 09:41 AM
Around the NSW Nth Coast, one of the gun Bream baits were blackfish guts which were placed onto a tin, left in the sun until the top pops off.
Not nice when using it, and the smell is something that follows you around for ages.

BrandonH
01-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Well I collected some bait last night for sharks and well.. its got to be close to the most disgusting bait I have ever thought about using!!!!!!!

Pike Eel about 3 foot long :o :o De headed to make things easier ::) lol..

If talking about crab bait well thats another story!!!!!! #;)
Many years ago I use to ride my pushy down to sandersons near the hornybrook bridge with 2 crab pots on each hanger. After awhile i actually had a "beach" bike that i use to ride through the creek and across the sand to the last creek before Bald hills creek. anyways this one day I was going to check the pots after school and noticed this dead shag in the mangroves.. Was very gone and had a stench that streached about 6 foot away!! Well being a kid and in need of bait I grabbed a rag and picked this thing up. Well even being already half rotten it lasted in my pot for another week!!! and managed to catch me at least one decent muddie each day for that week ;) witch was way better then the scats, catfish and mullet I had been trying the previous weeks :D don't think i could bring myself to trying another one now.. it was a very very potent smell :-X

Cheers
Brandon...

PinHead
01-12-2006, 03:05 PM
easy question to answer..repulsive smell and slippery buggers to handle at times and cannot catch fish using them...soft plastics.

Poodroo
01-12-2006, 03:35 PM
Without a word of doubt in my mind the worst is mullet gut and chicken gut. Sure glad I am a tupperware man these days. :D

Poodroo

webby
01-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Geez Greg Great minds thinks alike ;D
Isnt it great to come home with hands smelling like they'av been fishing, then those covered in GLITTER ;D
regards

gutzy
01-12-2006, 05:07 PM
It would have to be food off the smoko van!!!! :D :D :D

roz
01-12-2006, 07:07 PM
I ran out of towing baits once.... well to be honest I run out on a regular basis so you would think I would learn.

Anyway... out of desperation I rigged up a small whiting as a towing bait, no big deal one would think. I rigged it up on 7/0s, chucked it out the back and after 5 or so minutes trolling, hook up on a small spanish.

Now anyone that tows dead baits for mackeral know that baits usually get well and truely smashed, but occasionally a bait comes back with only minor damage, no big deal there, so out it went again, same thing happened, another small (just legal spanish) & bait still in good nick...sort of.

Cut the story short, at the end of the day all viable baits rigged or other wise go back into my freezer, in this case it was the end of my visit to Agnes.

Around 3 or 4 months later out comes Mr Whiting again, back into the water & another mackeral into the boat.

As the weather was looking good I decided not to freeze the still useable (Lucky) whiting again the next day, only one problem I forgot to put it in the fridge.

Next day my lucky whiting was a tad on the smelly side and only just held together with copper wire. NOT KIDDING, it caught another mackeral before it completely disintergrated.

So there you have a smelly bait story, although I havn't used whiting since, maybe I should.

r.

onerabbit
01-12-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm with poodroo,

Chicken gut is the smelliest, most disgusting bait there is, even days after you use it you can still smell it on your hands,

Wonder why i still use it................................................ ..............

Muzz

charleville
01-12-2006, 07:40 PM
easy question to answer..repulsive smell and slippery buggers to handle at times and cannot catch fish using them...soft plastics.

I was going to say SPs also but I was going to say that they are not ecologically sound - they are not recyclable like any of the other baits. #;D

Grand_Marlin
01-12-2006, 08:49 PM
A mate of mine needed food for his fish in the fish tank at home, and he was hard up for cash and couldnt buy any.

He pulled up next to a roadkill kangaroo that had been there for at least a few days.

You could smell this thing from 500 yards in the hot summer sun ... the crows had eaten the ar$e out of it, and it was literally crawling / moving with maggots.

My mate drove his bare hand up the ar$e of this rancid kangaroo and pulled out a big handfull of a mixture of maggots and decomposing guts.

He took the rst of his pie he had for lunch out of the paper bag and put the maggots in it.

He then proceeded to finish eating his pie after wiping his hands on his shirt....

... lovely stuff :o

Cheers

Pete

Poodroo
01-12-2006, 10:14 PM
A mate of mine needed food for his fish in the fish tank at home, and he was hard up for cash and couldnt buy any.

He pulled up next to a roadkill kangaroo that had been there for at least a few days.

You could smell this thing from 500 yards in the hot summer sun ... the crows had eaten the ar$e out of it, and it was literally crawling / moving with maggots.

My mate drove his bare hand up the ar$e of this rancid kangaroo and pulled out a big handfull of a mixture of maggots and decomposing guts.

He took the rst of his pie he had for lunch out of the paper bag and put the maggots in it.

He then proceeded to finish eating his pie after wiping his hands on his shirt....

... lovely stuff #:o

Cheers

Pete

Pete you really had me going then. I really need to learn to stop getting on here when I am really tired because my translation of that was that your mate put the maggots in his pie and ate a maggot pie. ;D ;D After reading it again it made more sense but still.... eeeewwww bigtime. ;D ;D

Poodroo

4x4frog
01-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Worst smelling...water rat in a crab pot up at Lake Cootharaba with my grand dad. The water rat got into the pot and died so we left it there and after a week inthe briny it was so bad you could smell it from under the water.

Best for fishing would have to be yesterdays prawns that have gone black 'cause you left them out on the back bench in the shed in stead of the freezer for later. I have had great success on Bream and catties with old prawns

finga64
02-12-2006, 06:13 AM
I wonder if fish can smell??
The fish I watch in the aquarium (really sad, but sometimes this is more exciting then what's on telly) and the little buggers eat (or try too eat) anything that goes in the tank.
Are fish in the wide blue like this?? :-?

bidkev
02-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Back in the UK I used to fish close up to a sewage outfall pipe as it was reknown for some good conger eels at the right time of the year. It was some years ago and waste disposal wasn't what it is now and there used to be a horrible brown scum near the end as they always discharged at High Tide.

I was using mackerel as bait which didn't last long as the area was also prolific for crabs. Anyway, got a thumper of a bite and pulled in an 18 kilo conger. After the fuss in the 16 foot boat quietened down ;D and the conger had been hit multiple times on the tail with a lump of 4by2, I attempted to remove the hook. As the hook came out it had suspended from it, a loop of string to which was attached a large lump of cotton wool...........took some time for me to realise what it was :-/ ::) and an even longer time debating whether to eat the congert or not ;D

kev

Poodroo
02-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Kev you'd be a gamer man than me to be eating a conger eel from there. Lol ;D

Poodroo

choppa
02-12-2006, 08:27 PM
new zealand eel on holiday kev?????????

i thought you said it was caught near a sewage outlet,,, not a farm,,,,

being raised on a farm in gippsland victoria,,, we kids,, (3 b/thers,,& sisters) were brought up around ""farm values"",, and truly some of the ""baits"" that were placed into the creeks and rivers around the area to catch blackfish,trout,eels,crays, may not have been catoragised as the ""worst"" bait,,, but christ they have never been repeated

roadside roo,,,been there,,(wasn't eating pies though)

sheep,,(insides,,outsides and all between)

remnants of cow

maggots,,

feral cat

neighbours cat

fox,,,,,,,,,,,now theres a smell you don't forget in a hurry,,

but the worse was ""porky"",,

i can still remember porky as a young 'un,, his mum died of old age,, and dad dragged this little weather beaten smelly thing into the kitchen,,still wrapped up in a briquette bag and dumped it next to the old wood stove to keep warm,,,,,us kids thought it was great,, something new to keep us amused,,, as grandma was wearing a it thin

we feed him him,, washed him and even trained him to follow us up the track to the bus stop each morning to see us off to school,, dad would follow later with corn cobs and chaff to get him back home :D :D

this went on for about a year and a half,,

and then porky was gone,,,,,,,,,,,,

we had a good xmas,,, bacon,,ham,,chops,,,dad bragging about the size of the crays he caught using some fresh bones and offal

still miss porky,,,,,,,,,,,,,great pet

RCG008
02-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Went on a 7 day sailing trip in the whitsundays.

8 people went on a holiday while the remaining 2 (me and my best mate) thought their was too much fishing to pass by. So when we got the yahct we put a couple of kilo of pillys and squid on board.

These worked ok on days 1, 2 and 3. Forgot about that esky on the 4th day.

And on the 5ht night. Strong southerly blew the esky over loosing its contents all over the deck. At 2am in the morning 3 girls woke up very angry. The only fish we caught that night with the worst smelling bait ever, were the fish "Mate your never bringing bait on a yacht again fish". Not much is spoken about the incident since. Only time now is when me and my mate try to out do that one. Takes some beating! :o

blaze
03-12-2006, 08:55 AM
not about bait used but more about forgotton bait, went beach fishing with a group of fellow fisho's and had the waders on. Now these waders had a little pocket on the inside of the bib and it turned out to be a good spot to put my packet of prawns. Had a good session, caught a few fish, had a few ales. On returning home all my gear was uncermously dumped in the shed. Never went near it for about 3 weeks and decided I was going to go spearing flounder. Goes to the shed to get the waders and from about 20 feet from the shed I could smell this terrible smell. You guessed, yep a stinking rotten mess of prawns (well they used to be prawns) still where I left them in the top pocket in the waders. I did clean them and 2 years later there is still a faint smell in the waders.
cheers
blaze