PDA

View Full Version : Effect of Barometric Pressure on Fishing

NormC
29-11-2006, 06:55 PM
I'm sure this has been covered before, but a search of the last couple of months didn't get me anything.

I understand the theory or the higher the barometric pressure, the better the fishing, but how true is it in practice.

Until recently, my time available for fishing was determined by work and family commitments, so considerations or air pressure, moon, and to some extent tides weren't important. I just fished when I could.

Now that my time is a bit more my own, I can be a bit more selective.

I've heard all the sayings like 1020, fish a plenty, but does it work?

Since I've taken an interest in this, we have had no real high pressure systems in our area. Hopefully a high will move up from the south over the next week or so (today was it dropped to about 990).

Previously I've thought that just before or after a storm (low pressure) can be a good time.

So what is your experience?

moondancer
29-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Do a thread search for past items here. Also, I think Webby did some articles on this subject in some of this years bush n beach editions.

NormC
29-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Other than scrolling through hundreds of pages, how do I do a search. Most sites have a search facility. Haven't found it here yet; but then I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.
Add a couple of glasses of red, and I'm stuffed.

straddie
29-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Heya NormC

Look toward the top of any page just under your screen name and you will see the search button. If you still cant see it this link will get you there,
http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?action=search

The actual barometric pressure number in my opinion has no use at all, but the weather system causing that pressure does. I will happily fish from 1000 to 1024 with confidence depending on other conditions and the area I am fishing.

NormC
30-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Thanks Straddie. Said I was blind in one eye and can't see out of the other ;D

My search didn't find much yet though.

onerabbit
30-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Not sure if other Ausfisho's will agree,

but I look for a big high system to come across the middle of the continent, then I look for a small arm to reach out to the east coast, signaling an impending rise in BP, this is when I have had my best fishing days.

Just my opinion,

Muzz

Reef_fisher
30-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Don't know about the fishing but barometric pressure does effect the human body, ever wondered why older people can tell you when a storm is coming. I am only 40 but with all the injuries I carry I have the same ability to predict bad weather. Bad weather= Back,knee,ankle shoulder pain.

shayned
01-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Try searching on northerlies (wind) some info in past threads there.

NormC
01-12-2006, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the tip Shayned. A bit more info on Northerly winds (which generally mean reducing barometric pressure).

If there is a consensus (but there probably isn't), northerlies and reducing barometric pressure have a negative effect of fishing. But there are many who have experienced, or believe the opposite effect.

I guess that's the sort of thing we find fascinating about fishing.

Guess I'll just have to do a lot mere fishing to form my own view.

aussiefool
04-12-2006, 05:46 AM
mate just get out and have a go....... If you get a bucket load .... great if not you can always blame the weather e.g. winds, presure , tides ect. because everyone knows that your the best fisho ever so it had to be something else ;D