PDA

View Full Version : good deed for the day

peteski
27-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Couple of weekends ago I was spinning off the stepping stones in Byron and there was more Tailor/Trev action than I have seen for a long time-I was hooking up every cast and then I noticed a young lad next rock down who only had a floppy little rod and no lures. I'd seen him a few times before so offered him a lure to use and he was keen as a bean. Thing is his rod was so crap that I took time out and gave him my one with a 35g twisty and let him go. He was into 'em on the first cast and he crowned his half dozen or so fish with a beautiful 3.5kg golden trev that he landed really competently. He said he was sure he had enough folk to give the fish to and he walked back across the rocks barely managing to carry the 10-12kg he had caught.
Next day I went down for another spin session and put my little rod down on the rocks for a turn with the long one;bad mistake. Got back to see it had washed in at dusk and though it was not too deep,very cloudy and no vis. Next morning went back for a snorkel looksee but no good and I was gutted to lose a $300 combo. Practised letting go and was looking for the bright side of the story.
Later that afternoon, I got a call from the young lad's dad (I'd used his phone to tell a mate the fish were on) who said his kid had been down to wategos at lunch time and seen these two spearers with my rod.He went and said he knew whose rod it was and they said-"tough we found it,' and it was not until his dad came down that they handed it over. He said." where's the reel that was on it" and they said there wasn't one and again finally reached in to their bag and gave it back.
Stripped down the reel is almost good as new and the rod just had the tip broken and is now a bit stiffer.
I was so happy that the young guy was on the ball and the only way he would have been sure it was my gear is 'cos I'd just lent it to him a couple of nights before. Warms the heart, eh?

DR
27-11-2006, 09:48 PM
nice story, what goes round, comes round. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Lone_Wolf
27-11-2006, 09:57 PM
you have made a friend for life Peteski, it was only 35gms of metal but the act far outweighed it! ;)

LW

el_carpo
27-11-2006, 10:49 PM
Score one for the good guys! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Glenn_Woods
27-11-2006, 11:18 PM
It pays to help and reap the rewards, what ever they might be.
Woodsy

Scalem
28-11-2006, 12:41 AM
Mate what a great story!!

I'd have loved to see the kids face when he caught a fish because of your kind nature. It goes further than just your good deed on this occasion. I am sure that when this kid runs into a few hurdles that life tends to throw at you, he will cast his thoughts back to this good deed. Kids suicide rates are increasing all the time, suffering depression and all the other social disorders that come along. This Kid will remember you when he needs to think positively about life and other people, when others fail him.

Keep it up!

Scalem

sleepygreg
28-11-2006, 12:56 AM
Kids now need all the positive role models they can get. There is enough crook ones out there. That kid will be be tellin his grandkids this story....and his dad should get a mention too.....good on him for backin up the young bloke. Good to hear some 'feel good' stories.

Cheers
Greg

aussiefool
28-11-2006, 03:11 AM
First of all well done to you for shareing the joy of fishing with the kid even though you didn't know him from adam, second of all to the young lad for seeing your gear and getting involed and to the boys dad for standing for his son convictions well done to all.
Karma....... you just cann't mess with it

marlinqld
28-11-2006, 05:07 AM
Karma comes to those who deserve it....good onya for making the kids day....he returned the favour 10 fold

Mike

fish_outta_water
28-11-2006, 07:19 AM
nice one mate , good to see karma at work :)

finga64
28-11-2006, 07:41 AM
A good example of what goes around, comes around.

Pretty rare to see a kid that keen to go fishing in Byron at the best of times. His parents were obviously doing something right in his upbringing to start with which is further evident in the way his dad backed him up with the spear fishermen and then to find you.

Did you get the young fella's name and number to keep in contact??
He would be a worthy guy for us to have a whip around and buy him a reasonable rod and reel to say thanks.
I'll bung in $10

peteski
28-11-2006, 10:51 AM
I haven't seen him since then, maybe that's because of all the black winds we've been getting and lack of action for the last couple of weeks. Thing is I've noticed that there are alot of touros and random people who turn up to fish without the faintest idea of what to do. This kid was way ahead of many and just underequipped. I would not attempt to help the majority of the ones I see, but I wonder how much more they would enjoy themselves if someone was to give them a few pointers. I suppose there's no substitute for time and experience with no easy shortcuts to learning the ropes. Scalem it's true I've noticed very few young 'uns wetting the line,seems way less than even a few years back. I suppose the rocks aren't the safest place to learn though. Finga, generous idea-I'll give him the fixed rod next time. Peteski

imnotoriginal
28-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Great story. A small little deed like that can mean a lot more to the person receiving. Glad to see the young bloke was able to give something back. Great work Peteski.
Joel

roydsy
28-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Good onya mate, great story. There are some good guys out there still and your one of them.

dogsbody
28-11-2006, 05:19 PM
You only get what you put out. "Be the change you want to see in the world" Ghandi

Camo
28-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Good on ya mate. With that one charitable act you've touched someone for life. He won't forget you or that day if he lives to 100.

Camo

JasonT
29-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Well done for your good deed and #I'm glad you were rewarded for your consideration and kindness.
Perhaps this will go on to do more good by giving each of us something #to remember when next we have an opportunity to show some kindness to another.

Thanks for sharing it!

Jason

moondancer
29-11-2006, 08:56 PM
Great story! Wish we could experience more like that!

Biff
29-11-2006, 09:41 PM
What a great story. Makes me want to do something good.

Thanks for that.
Biff :) :)

Reef_fisher
30-11-2006, 08:35 PM
I had someone show me some kindness the other week. My mate and I had planned to do a night fish on the reef, we got out early afternoon and bugger me dead we lost the reef anchor. Had just enough light left to do the 30klms back. While we were loading the boat my mate was talking to another fisho and as we climbed into the ute my mate said follow this bloke home. We got there and out of his shed he walked with a brand spanking new reef pick. Try as I might I tried to pay him for it. Wouldn't take money or beer.

I am happy however to pay it forward as the saying goes.

Poodroo
01-12-2006, 06:27 AM
Well you know what they say about "One good turn deserves another?"
The fact that you did your good deed earned the respect of that young fella and he returned you the favour. So glad that there are still some out there who do the right thing.

Poodroo

JEWIENEWIE
02-12-2006, 02:13 PM
Well, not only were they going to thiev it, i live in byron and am pretty sure but not 1oo% that they should not have been spearing there in the first place.
Jewie

onerabbit
02-12-2006, 07:51 PM
C'mon Ausfisho's,

Have you heard of a more deserving cause lately,

I'd be more than happy to match your 10 bucks Finga,

It may be something that the young fella remembers for a life-time, let alone put him on the path for a life-time of fishing(sounds like he's already keen).

Let me know where to send it or hand it to you.

Muzz

marlinqld
02-12-2006, 08:26 PM
i'll match your 10 onerabbit

onerabbit
02-12-2006, 11:35 PM
What a great story of faith in humanity, full points to the young bloke concerned, & his dad for bringing his kid up right & backing him up when it was needed.

I'm hoping Steve Brown may notice this thread & put it in the "important" column.

Whats the chances we can find 30 Ausfisho's to support this kid & get him his own set of "worthy" gear.

We already have 3.......... it's only $10

Peteski,
you know what is needed in your spot, should it come around, would you be prepared to accept donations for him & get him what he needs??

If nothing else, $30 will buy a heap of silver lures.

Muzz

peteski
04-12-2006, 09:47 AM
Yeah I'm definitely willing to give the lad any donations towards his fishing future. He would be stoked to get some new stuff. I'm not sure how all the 'pm' stuff works. I know a way of getting in touch with him so that would give him an unexpected xmas stocking filler. Peteski.
Jewie Newie, they are allowed to spear within 100m of the wategos headland in the zones indicated on our little map. Just not the protected section by matterhorn.

peteski
06-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Just got a message from onerabbit asking where he could drop off his donation. I can't do any pms yet so all send one and that'll change. my mobs is 0414248543 if you want to text and I'll give you a/d-maybe we go out for a fish. Lets get the bucks to him pre xmas. Peteski