PDA

View Full Version : help

kiwiboy
10-12-2006, 01:43 PM
hello all i have a barramaundi in a tank at home we have had him for about 7 months we just caught him some livies in the cast net as we always do and he has lost his appetite in the last couple of weeks does anyone have any url s or any places where i can have a look on the net about his behaviour and well being cheers kiwi boy and barry the barra

Brett1907
10-12-2006, 07:39 PM
No idea. Do a google for 'tank barra' or 'barra in fish tank', or some other variation. Anaconda on the Gold Coasthave a couple in their tanks, I think Tackle World in Southport do too. Try giving them a call.

Brett

wayneoro
10-12-2006, 07:57 PM
change ya water for you opening shot for sure

Poodroo
10-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Hey there. I am someone who comes with a lot of experience with aquatics having spent 7 years working in one of the most respected aquarium shops in Brisbane. First question I have is do you quarrantine the livies prior to feeding the barra? If not it is a good idea to because they can often carry and transmit diseases. If you want to chat with me and go through all the processes then give me a PM and I will be happy to help.

Poodroo

kiwiboy
11-12-2006, 04:38 PM
cheers guys have you got msn poodroo

griz066
13-12-2006, 12:54 PM
Eat him ;D ;D

seafarer3
13-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Hey,
I also had a Barra in fresh water...If you feed him salt water food ...he may get sick on that...being to much salt...
If you have brought him up in salt water....dis-regard this answer

Cheers
Scott

Noelm
13-12-2006, 01:57 PM
raised many a barra to respectable size, do NOT feed them too much, at the very most only every 3rd to 4th day, and only a few small livies at a time, he will surely die if you over feed I can tell you, by the way, they love live prawns, as a guide, I used to feed the last one I had (about 35CM long) 3 live prawns every 4 to 5 days, no more! I ended up giving it to a fish tank guy and it is still alive. OH and only keep 1 barra to a tank, nothing else, because it will eat anything else or attempt to if it is too big to swallow.

Taipan
13-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Reading this I now know how my Murray Cod died, I think i may of overfed him (3-4 guppies every 2 days), or maybe boiled him up here in the Ville

Nico.d.R
13-12-2006, 08:05 PM
auto pilot , the barra like salt in a fresh water tank the pet shop guy said , i normaly put a table spoon or two in when i change the water . I mainly feed him pelets and every couple of weeks i get 10 gold fish for him last time he ate 7 off them as they hit the water and the other three were gone with in an hour . I had 2 barra from when they were about 1 inch long , one of them grew twice as fast as the other and after a couple off years the big one smashed the crap out of the smaller one . I know a fella that feed his barra poddy mullet from the creek but im not sure if he droped them straight in or not , a water change wouldnt hurt they love fresh clean water .

freddofrog
15-12-2006, 12:41 PM
don't know much about keeping barras but here's a list of aquarium forums that I frequent that should be able to offer some more help if you need it.

http://www.e-mailme.org/forums/ - Aust
http://www.perthcichlid.com/pcs/index.php - Aust
http://www.aquahobby.com/e_home.php - US

cya
ff