PDA

View Full Version : what makes fish good to eat

blaze
08-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Personel preference I know, I know I am not keen on weed eaters. Like a flattie and good old gummy, both these species eat over simular ground and eat simular food. Is it the texture and color of the flesh that interest you in a eating fish cause some people add that many herbs and spices ya dont know what you are eating.
yeh I know
wish the bloody wind would stop blowin
cheers
blaze

rtranter
08-12-2006, 04:23 PM
A wee bit on the board side are we Blaze? ;)
Know the feeling well. :(
Personaly for me, Batter and super hot oil are the only ingrediants that I require to make fish taste OK, tho it didn't work with filthy Mullet. >:(
Don't like fish at all except at the fish and chip shop. ;D
Doooo enjoy catching them but. ;) ;)
Rob 8-)

DALEPRICE
08-12-2006, 04:24 PM
hey blaze,
i have found that thier is a major difference in just where
the fish lives ang grazes.....eg.... surf whiting compared to
a estuary whiting. but in saying that, also how fresh the fish is
and how its looked after is a major factor in my books................
and yes the wind is blowin its bum off up here as well.
cheers dale

blaze
08-12-2006, 04:30 PM
sounds like the bloody wind is to blame then.
A lot of members say its gota be red (skined) so most of these fish seem to be meat eaters, so why is it one is so mech better than the others.
Also an interesting comment on the whiting from different locations.
We spear a few flounder in tassie and the best ones are the ones from the ocean beaches and the eaustrine ones IMO are of a lesser quallity on the table
cheers
blaze

marlinqld
08-12-2006, 04:35 PM
Mate it costs me 14 bazillion bucks a kilo to catch the damn fish, so i eat them...... ;D ;D ;D

finga64
08-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Where you catch them makes all the difference I reckon.
Take a yellowbelly or eel tailed catty for instance. If they're caught in the Leslie dam you can't keep them up to me but if they're caught pretty well anywhere else they taste like slime.
I think it has to do with the clean decomposed granite in Leslie (nice and clean bottom) and the slimey crappy muddy bottoms of dams like Glenlyon.
Mullets the same. Taste like slimebuggers out of the muddy rivers but one caught from the surf....beeeaaauuuttifull [smiley=chef.gif]
I'm not into the red, have to blood them, fish but any white flesh fish caught in a clean area with sand or similar on the bottom has to swim fast to get out of my grasp.
I like them crumbed and fried in butter or hot oil but seeing the cook's french and from New Calendonia we bake a lot of fish (if we can get them big enough) with anything and everything like ginger, garlic, chillies, shallots, paw paw...you get the gist, justabout anything in the guts and then wrapped in alfoil then on the barby-que ;D
Sauces of all varieties are given but I prefer without.
Gees I'm drooling just thinking about it. Shouldn't have opened a beer to do this, makes me hungrier ;D ;D
Blaze, up here if we get a flounder the cook's grandmothers got dibs on it. She loves them :D
PS we don't fillet much. We only really fillet red rock cods and catfish. The rest are cooked wholedest boldest.

Lucky_Phill
08-12-2006, 07:21 PM
Interesting Robbie,

To me, all fresh fish is good to eat.

I do notice the difference between a surf Bream/ Whiting and the river caught species. The diff being colour. Flavour seems to remain constant.

Certainly the stomach contents of some fish are disgusting and all too often the contents of Grass Sweetlip are very smelly, but the again, they are the fish ' guts ". ::) Suppose it won;t smell like roses !!!

To be honest, I used to bleed certain species, but in the last year or so, I have found it doesn't matter and the ' taste ' is not only the same, but I will say, better.... sort of more fishey.

I have even extended this to not ' rinseing " the fish in either fresh or salt water after filleting them. OK< you may get a some bits of blood, scales etc hanging around, but the fish is as it should be. This method was shown to me by Roz up at Agnes and have adopted it with great success, particulary for the fish I intend to freeze.

So to answer your Question.

What makes fish good to eat ?

Good company, cold beer and a view of the water. Simple as that.

See ya next year blaze, same bat channel, same bat time ;) ;D ;D

Phill

Poodroo
08-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Mate it costs me 14 bazillion bucks a #kilo to catch the damn fish, so i eat them...... ;D ;D ;D

:) :) Good one Mike but too true. I try not to think of how much cost is involved when fishing. Can't put a price on the relaxation and the thrill of getting out there however. Well worth it! I love all seafood really fish included. I always do the boneless fillets and cover the fish in plain flour and salt and then shallow fry in hot oil. jnl;jkhsp'oipukj... oops sorry my tongue just hit the keyboard! ::) Very hard to beat. Will try catch some fresh fishies for dinner tomorrow. ;D

Poodroo

blaze
08-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Have also been told that a cold water flattie taste better than a warmer water one.
cheers
blaze

TinarooTriumph
08-12-2006, 09:08 PM
Knowing that you caught it yourself, prepared it yourself and cooked it yourself makes it that much nicer!

Also my mother secret Tartare sauce... Move over KFC's secret Herbs and Spices, you've got a rival ;D . Makes a 60lb Freshwater Barra taste like Heaven!

CHRIS_aka_GWH
08-12-2006, 09:16 PM
I do notice the difference between a surf Bream/ Whiting and the river caught species. #The diff being colour. #Flavour seems to remain constant.

i disagree with my learned colleague. #;)

I reckon i can pick an estuarine bream from a 'silver emperor' (surf bream). I f i catch a bream in the surf I will keep it - i do not fish for them inside the pin. The surf bream has a sweet RED like flavour (bugman agrees I think). An inside bream is mustier. Its almost like comparing a light lambrusco to a musty shiraz - geeeeeeeez I sound like a wally.

GOOD fish must taste sweet and salty, it must be moist and have a texture that falls apart in section but has a slightly finer character to it on the tooth - above all else and related to the first - it must SMELL like the open sea - not "fishy". Even good fresh sardines that I've eaten in WA satisfy these criteria.

My favourite is red emporer - a close second (because of bones) is summer whiting - genuine dory is the best from a market.

All that said a winter tailor caught the night before, bled, crumbed and fried the next day is one of my favourite foods in the world. If i lay on my death bed and had one more feed - that would be it becuase it has the additional flavour of a lifetime of memories.

chris

Phil-Fishbin
09-12-2006, 08:24 AM
I have to agree on the bream thing. I only eat ones caught from sea,

DALEPRICE
09-12-2006, 10:37 AM
if i had to pick i would say pearl perch followed
by moses and parrot....................mmmmmmm

nothing wrong with a bit of fresh mullet either,
caught that day and eaten that night.
cheers dale

shayned
09-12-2006, 10:43 AM
One that I didn't have to fillet and cook myself!!!!!! ;D

charleville
09-12-2006, 11:19 AM
salt

;D ;D ;D

shayned
09-12-2006, 11:26 AM
salt

;D ;D ;D
A one word answer from Charleville. Not very likely my friend, now who are you and what have you done with Bruce?????
;) :) :) ;D

Mod11
09-12-2006, 11:32 AM
The ease of cleaning, catching and cooking.

Beats cattle, chickens and the like.

C.

Sea-Dog
10-12-2006, 07:17 AM
The ease of cleaning, catching and cooking.

Beats cattle, chickens and the like.

C.

Ever had to gut a warm chook? - Yuck !!!

wfryan
10-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Yeah, fresh is best but white clean tasting fish like whiting is my preference

gogecko
13-12-2006, 03:42 PM
I think beer is the answer.

Andrew

marshy
13-12-2006, 07:58 PM
I can really taste the difference between estuary & sea bream. I have often wondered if you could "clean " the estuary fish by keeping them in clean water for a few days. Maybe like a big keeper net or something similar?.

Marshy

freddofrog
15-12-2006, 12:37 PM
I think the best way to tell if a fish is any good it to catch and gut it but keep scales on and then cook over coals with no herbs etc. That way you get the true flavour. If it's no good then start adding salt, pepper etc etc.

And if your game you can try raw but that's pretty hard core in my books

Give it a go, you'll be amazed.

cya
ff

eatmybait
15-12-2006, 01:32 PM
I love fishing but not real crazy about lots of the fish. Caught a nice snapper recently 68 cm which was beaut because no small bones. Next trip got some smaller ones, not as enjoyable. Flake at fish n chip shop is hard to beat.

Wish I could drop a line and snag a few lobster, crabs, scallops, oysters..
Love all that stuff.

Dirtysanchez
15-12-2006, 02:55 PM
Reasonably fussy about what I eat, but have found over the last few years that surf caught fish do seem nicer / fresher than the stuff you catch in estuaries etc..

Still can't beat any fish if you can catch it, clean it in the shallows then cook it right away on a camp BBQ or even over coals on the beach..

Now if I could get round to prawning successfully then I would be in heaven, nothing better than taking them from the cooking pot and justs scoffing them down as quick as you could take off the shells

YEEHA I am hungry ! ;D