PDA

View Full Version : fisheries research at ramps

mickc
09-12-2006, 01:33 PM
G'Day All

What would be your reaction to being met at the ramp on returning from a trip to be approached and asked if you would allow certain species of your catch to be measured and recorded for research purposes? also info on where caught etc.

Mick

Dogbream
09-12-2006, 02:18 PM
yeh no worries make sure you fillet and gut them as well.

the dog

jeffrey_h
09-12-2006, 02:18 PM
You tell me where the fish are and I would be happy to show them off to anybody ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

jeffrey

bluefin59
09-12-2006, 03:43 PM
No problem i have nothing to hide i love to show of the catch of the day 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Brett1907
09-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Would be more than happy to show them if I have caught any.

Unless I am already running late and have had the 'where are you' calls from the missus.

Brett

Heath
09-12-2006, 04:40 PM
no problems at all...... just don't expect me to be too specific as to where I caught them ;)

serene_lady
09-12-2006, 07:03 PM
If it is for research reasons we should all help. We had this happen at the Urangan boat harbour last year, were asked to help with spottie mac reaserch, we filleted 15 fish while the researcher measured each fish, put each frame including gut into seperate bag and tagged them. Bob.

hussy
09-12-2006, 07:32 PM
all for research .bull shit. ever wonder where they come up with the figures that show we catch more than netters? it comes from do gooders that take part in research surveys, and the others that keep logs ( for research )i dont take part in these ,as it comes back to bite you when they want to introduce closeures and have the figures to prove it. bob h

ssab1
09-12-2006, 08:26 PM
bob h as a responsible fisherman i am sure that you really do care about our fisheries even if the research is bullshit ,its better to under estimate our fish stocks than go the way of the countries that stuffed theirs.you really do care but have never been surveyed and feel left out.cheers alex :) ;D

sempre
09-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Had this happen a couple of times , these blokes seem to be doing something other than annoying people , so we give them what they want .

Sam...

dogsbody
09-12-2006, 10:17 PM
Yeah no problems with that,have to ask what purpose the info will be used for tho.

Dave.

mickc
09-12-2006, 11:06 PM
Dave

I understand the information is used to keep track of the age and size of the population of certain species. Including prawns, spanner crabs ,scallops etc stuff that rec fishers rarely target. Iguess it helps to know the breeding ages/sizes of different species e.g. flathead then you
have some idea of what size to fish for. and keep producing reasonable numbers.

Mick

aussiefool
10-12-2006, 05:35 AM
yep I would have no dramas in helping out....... just scale, gill and jut mine thanks

dogsbody
10-12-2006, 08:17 AM
Gday Mick
Sure they can keep track all they want but if the food chain is F#@&*d up it's all pointless.
From the mangroves where certain juvenile fish grow out to the sea where other spieces drift in the current then move into the reef or into the mangroves. If that all goes pear shaped who are they going to blame. You hear a lot about overfishing but what about habitat destruction how much of each is really at fault. Food for thought.

Dave.

gawby
10-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Whats the problem with showing them your catch. If you have nothing to hide, no problem. :P :P :P
Don't be one of those who go out to the reef and catch a whole swag full and fillet half of them and hide the fillets when you come back. That's a big problem. :o :o
Graeme ;)

wfryan
10-12-2006, 07:02 PM
No probs, just check they are legit

Reef_fisher
10-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Ask what the reserch is for or more importantly WHO it is for. If it for anyone related to green groups they get gaffed and put in crab pots. If not, ok. ;D ;D

StevenM
10-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Yeah

Show us your badge and no dramas at all, but like Heath you would not be getting real accurate info on position

Cheers

Steven

wayneoro
10-12-2006, 07:53 PM
gees guys this is helping aussi fishos of the future saves them having to hire a boat for research cant hurt to help

Great_White
11-12-2006, 06:05 AM
I have no problems with that, they might as most times I come home empty #:o :o :o

Would just like to know why , would hate to be providing bullets for them to use on us later on.

Peter #:)

S.S.
11-12-2006, 09:42 AM
I seem to get a few more skeptical bones in my body with each birthday ;)

I'm sure it's all legit but you kind of wonder "what if" they were using the data for ammo against us............ ::)

hussy
11-12-2006, 09:54 AM
exactly what i suspect happens. bob h

Matt_Campbell
11-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Whats the go with all the conspiracies? These people are collecting long-term data regarding the biology of fish that are important recreational species. Doesn't everyone think that these data are extremely important in order to manage fisheries sustainably?

Reef_fisher
11-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Sorry matt,don't beleive it for a second, the less info pollies and greenies have the less bullet holes they can put in us.

I find it amazing that a trawler or netter can drag in more fish in a day than I could hope to catch in years and I am the one that has bag limits imposed on my pastime, and I do less damage to the fishery.

Sorry if that seems a pigheaded view but you only have to look at what has happened in the past to know that no good can come of it in respect of rec fishing.

BigE
11-12-2006, 11:20 AM
threaten em with a gaff or speargun which ever is most handy........ they get the message!

unless of course anyone can show me how any RESEARCH has provided me with a way to
1 catch more fish
2 catch bigger fish
3 make it easier for the REC fisher to go fishin or catch a fish

HHHmmmm didn't
think so ...... go the gaff!!

did a kreel survey twice ........ next thing i know GREEN ZONE (even went to some meetings where this educated chap explained to us all why us rec fishers needed screwing)

BigE

Matt_Campbell
11-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Sorry matt,don't beleive it for a second, the less info pollies and greenies have the less bullet holes they can put in us.

I find it amazing that a trawler or netter can drag in more fish in a day than I could hope to catch in years and I am the one that has bag limits imposed on my pastime, and I do less damage to the fishery.

Sorry if that seems a pigheaded view but you only have to look at what has happened in the past to know that no good can come of it in respect of rec fishing.

Well thats a very narrow-minded view of fisheries management. Its a shame that people have this view. If rec fishing is sustainable why be worried to offer a little to research. Goodness knows recos dont pay for any research now.

S.S.
11-12-2006, 03:32 PM

Well thats a very narrow-minded view of fisheries management. Its a shame that people have this view. If rec fishing is sustainable why be worried to offer a little to research. Goodness knows recos dont pay for any research now.

As a taxpayer I pay for government research in one form or another already.

Perhaps Fisheries need to improve their public image because it's clear from this post that recreational anglers have little faith in the department.

ssab1
11-12-2006, 04:14 PM
dont know about you blokes but my flathead and wild barra catches have improved since closed seasons and size slots.maybe my fishing skills are better I DOUBT IT, dam lazier now.must be something in the water sending a lot paranoid, :) ;D

craigie
11-12-2006, 06:53 PM
ssab1 , Matty Campbell, and some others,

Have to 100% agree with your comments !!

I have fished around Indonesia/Malaysia/Fiji etc, where size or bag limits do not exist. I was appalled to see the locals keeping dozens of 15cm cod caught from the reef. Then later being offered mud Crabs the size of your Computer Mouse. Was all very disturbing.
If Queensland/Australia did away with Fisheries Management (as some are suggesting it's a waste of time and no benifit to them) then we may find ourselves in this same scenario !!

Creel surveys are an important tool for monitoring our fish stocks, co-operating in this process is the least we can do. As an example, what if Spotty Mackerel were not being monitored, I dare say the ring netters may well have rounded up the last of the stragglers by now ?? Rec catch rates had dropped and it was identified that this method of capture was too effective and unsustainable. So, if pig headed rec fishos had refused to assist with mackerel surveys it may have taken a lot more time for this ring netting issue to come to light ??? Are we getting the picture ??

New management arrangements are not necessarily put in place to benifit us rec fishos or the commercial sector, it's primarily to protect the resource for future generations but still allowing sustainable harvesting. Surely that's a good thing !!

Major fisheries are collapsing all around the world from over fishing. Spanner Crabs off Africa was a recent one. Lets hope our regs in Queensland are tough enough to ensure our Spanners don't go the same way . Plenty might bitch that we can only keep 20 each and we have a closed season etc etc, well guess what we may have some for a rainy day by biting the bullet NOW !!

Who can remember a couple of short years back when Snapper had a legal size of 30cm and a bag limit of 30, if that had still remained to this day think of the exploytation that species would have received and how few Snapper would be caught in and around Moreton Bay now ???
Fisheries research at Ramps may have contributed to saving the Moreton Bay Snapper !!

Regards,

Craigie.

Nico.d.R
11-12-2006, 08:13 PM

trawlers do have bag limits on fish , im not sure about the pro netters . I agree with craigie we need regulations to make sure fish can keep reproducing , i think fisheries should up all legal sizes atleast 10cm bigger than breeding size so all fish can have a chance of reproduction before they are legal to keep .
I wouldnt have a problem showing my fish if it is going to help fish stocks , thats my 2 cents anyway .

tight lines

Brett1907
11-12-2006, 10:13 PM
I aggree with the sentiment Nico, but 10cm accross the board? What about a species that grows 35cm larger than another?

This is why we need research, to find out how big the fish are that are caught, how large they grow, how long they live, how old til they spawn..... and many other answers we need to know in order to SUSTAIN/MAINTAIN our fishery.

Brett

sleepygreg
11-12-2006, 11:48 PM
One thing seems to be lost in all this. The guys and gals at the ramps doing the surveys are all dedicated fisheries biologists and scientists.....sure they are public servants and work for the government......but thats what they do for a crust. I have met and talked at length with quite a few of em......and surprise surprise.....most of em are keen rec fishos too. Dont get these guys confused with the pollies who wouldnt know a mullet from a great white.......but follow an electoral agenda. let them collect the data......hell ....we complain that decisions are made without proper data.....and now we are talking about stopping them from getting the data................ya cant have it all ways. Let some common sense prevail!!! What they are doing is long term.....not tied in to an electoral time frame......they may just be the answer to our questions.

I get off me soapbox now

Cheers
Greg

moondancer
12-12-2006, 08:00 AM
AGree with a lot of the sentiment here. Greg (sleepygreg) I reckon you've nailed it too! For me, as long as they give me a reason for why and what they are researching, I have no problems. Yes, the pollies can twist and manipulate data etc. (or even in the absence of data!) but, thats a different game!

L

Reef_fisher
12-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Craigie, I said it once and I will say it again, Trawlers and pros catch more fish in one day than I would in years, and I do less to hurt the fishery. My bycatch goes back in the water unharmed except for a pierced lip. Netters rape rivers and mangrove areas and cause vast damage to the eco makeup of the area.

Don't get me wrong pros are entitled to earn a living, but even the so called licence by back was a farce and a waste of money. Was research responsible for this golden plan.

Research was responsible for the unneeded closure of thriving reefs.

Research was responsible for the increase in size limits, decrease in bag limits and even some no take limits being applied. These limits are a joke as they can be manipulated by the unresponsible, as discussed peviously on this site.

The health of our fisheries falls to the users acting responsibly in their use of the resource, and some common sense, if actions of users are creating problems deal with them and leave the rest of us alone.

I beleive that all the restrictions are designed to frustrate fisho's to the point where it is so restricted that a days fishing is just too expensive and confusing(rules and regulations) to be bothered. I know of several fishos that have given it all away for that very reason. Over regulation.

Sorry to ramble on, just a very frustrated rec fisho.

Reef_fisher
12-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Sorry forgot to add, if any research is to be acurate, it needs to be done at every boat ramp across qld (or aus if national) 24/7 for 12months to acount for closures, migration stock, seasonal variables, etc. If this is not possible then assumptions need to be made on data. If assumptions are made then research can be taylor fitted to suit whatever outcomes are required.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
12-12-2006, 08:33 PM
is it any coincidence fisheries did catch surveys one year at a straddie classic, then this was followed by that GN survey and then BANG ...

stay away from flat rock boys (oh but not you fellow 'scientists' who love diving with the sharks.)

I agree with Leeann - fisheries need some PR after the smiling assassin Henry P shafted queensland fishermen to buy favour from the green lobby.

Brett1907
13-12-2006, 07:25 AM
Unfortunately the fisheries department suffer the same beauracrats who lave government positions and a position of power.

We must remember that there are people involved who do care about the rec & commercial fishos. #Those guys are trying to do their job as well as preserve the fishery!

Reef_fisher, I can't believe, as a 'responsible' rec fisho, you actually believe that size & bag limits are just there to frustrate us! #What a closed minded and IRRESPOSNSIBLE mind set. #If it wasn't for these limits, even us 'responsible' fishos may take too many of a certain species without realising the dramatic consequences.

It is uneconomical and logistically impossible to survey every boat ramp 24/7. #Surveys are takien from a 'sample' of the population, and yes, statistics can be manipulated. #What do you think we do when we say 'Netters are to blame'. #We are manipulating the information we have heard to meet our needs/wants.

I also believe netting should be banned from all rivers/estuaries as they do decimate the ecosystem.

YES, some or even many of the decisions and closures are anoying and frustrating. #They can appear to benefit only the pros. #MAYBE, with the help of surveys at these boat ramps that can be CHANGED.

Think about the attitude, 'I'm telling them nothing, they can #@$%^ off!'. #What is that telling them about us rec fishos? #Doesn't sound like we are a bunch of responsible fishos who are concerned about the environment and a sustainable fishery does it? #
Sounds more like we are more concerned with going out and raping the underwater environment, sc%#w the consequences and anyone who tries to stop me! #Actually, sounds a lot like the 'stereo-typical' yank hunter. #God given rights and all that feces.

It is just possible that by being cooperative and helpful, those with the power may FINALY realise that we do want the fishery to be sustainable and are willing to help ensure it stays thet way. #If that means we can't catch snapper for one month out of 12 then that is the price we pay for being able to fish for the year. #We can always target other species for that month.

To those guys who found it too confusing/expensive to comply with the regulations... #The size limits and exclusion zones are now available for free off the fisheries website. #I have a laminated printout of the limits in my tackle bag! #When I get a boat (thats not expensive???) #I will be ensuring I have up to date charts with any 'Go Slow' or 'No Fish' zones. #Hey, some of us are willing to pay over $25 for a lure.

Sorry if this sounds a bit aggressive, but I feel stongly about sustaining the fishery and about portraying a good image of rec fishos.

JMHO

Brett

PS: Anyone want a well worn soap box?

marshy
14-12-2006, 06:48 PM
Well said Brett1907, we need to maintain a good image as rec fishos so co-operating with research is the only way to go. I would have no problem with my catch being surveyed. I was surveyed nearly 20 year ago by a Griffith uni study on tilapia in lake samsonvale.They weighed & measured our catch & removed a sample of each fish.We spent an intersting hour or so discussing the pros & cons of feral fish & I learnt a lot from the experience.

Marshy :)

GEEFA
14-12-2006, 07:15 PM
why don,t they go out and catch the fish themselves ;D

el_pescador
14-12-2006, 07:39 PM
Sorry guys but I'm one of the sceptics. As a member of the fishing party & ECOfishers I have done a bit of research & watch as governments (generally labor) manipulate data to support whatever position they feel they need to take to get green preferences & thereby ensure re-election.

I feel for the Fisheries staff as they are generally well meaning & concerned BUT like ALL governement departments they are pawns & at the end of the day they have to do whetever the governement tells them. Sometimes they may not even know how the data will ultimately be used.

As one of the guys said you need to know why they want to see your catch & what there agenda is. Also as one of the guys mentioned the preservation of habitat is generally more important than the fish stocks at any point in time as the recreational fish take is not that significant IF healthy habitat is maintained. Thi is a salient point as many commercial fishing activities damage habitat such as seagrass, reef, etc.

And you have probably heard this ad nauseum but there is no proof (that's ZERO) that marine sanctuaries do anything to improve fish stocks so please don't get sucked into the green BS on that score.

Sorry for the rant but I am passionate about maintaining fish stocks so we can all enjoy our fishing in the future & that includes having access to our favourite fishing spots.

Les

GrahameA
14-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Hi All

They don't need to sample everyone boat ramp etc. They just need to do a sample that is statistically valid. And I have my doubts as to thevaildity of what they do.

On a bigger issue I have no negative feelings etc. towards the people doing the survey. However, I have very little - well none actually - faith in the how the data is used.

Inherently I have littlle faith in the ability of government and its agencies to do their job well.

As example consider the litany of recent inadequate management, Electricity issues, Health issues, Water issues, etc. It just seems that whatever they are responsible for they handle poorly - in my view.

Brett1907
16-12-2006, 08:02 AM
Les, I can understand your point. I don't think I would co-operate with 'The Greens' party if they were doing the research, but I would politely refuse (unless they were wearing a koala suit, then its the gaff for them)LOL.

And yes, the research can be manipulated. But as I have said, it can be manipulated by anyone, even us.

It was more the poor attitude I was condemning, which I think you did understand, and I thank you for that.

I think this post has stimulated some good debate, and some very valid points have been aired. We just need to let the government know what we think. That can be hard when all I want to do if fish & 4WD. Oh, and spend time with the family. If the missus sees that I will be grounded indefinately. LOL

Brett

hussy
17-12-2006, 09:56 AM
brett i dont think anyone found it too confusing or expensive to comply with the regulations.we are not a bunch of dipsticks we are just having a say , like yourself.you may not agree, i dont agree with some of what you say,but i dont put you down. i am sure that the anti research guys are just as much for conserving fish stocks as yourself. not going out and raping the underwater environment , and screw the consequences and anyone who trys to stop them, as you say. what a crok. and #you pay $25 for a lure, # and we dont?

and dont put it down to poor attitude, bob h

Feral
17-12-2006, 10:40 AM
As long as they are readily identifiable, not a problem.

Not that it matters, I dont eat fish so I only catch and release, so they will want to be sharpish with the measuring stick!

Brett1907
18-12-2006, 08:33 AM
bob h, I was commenting on a post by reef_fisher where he states...

'Research was responsible for the unneeded closure of thriving reefs.

Research was responsible for the increase in size limits, decrease in bag limits and even some no take limits being applied. These limits are a joke as they can be manipulated by the unresponsible, as discussed peviously on this site. '

'I beleive that all the restrictions are designed to frustrate fisho's to the point where it is so restricted that a days fishing is just too expensive and confusing(rules and regulations) to be bothered. I know of several fishos that have given it all away for that very reason. Over regulation.'

It was these comments/attitudes I am opposed to, I didn't say that no one else spends $25 on a lure, reef_fishers said he knows people who find the regulations too expensive to continue fishing. I am alos against the attitude not to tell them anything. Without research there won't be any type of restrictions imposed, which would end up ruining the fishery.

I am also sceptical about how different departments use their research, but we need their help in sustaining the fishery. Without them we won't have one, the cowboys will decimate it. If we, as rec fishos don't help them they will get all their info from the commercial sector. Do you think that is agood idea?? I don't!!

Unfortunately there are people out there who have the attitude that they can take what they want. Did you see the post by Geoff72? Old guy taking big breeding flatties, even after he was told it was a breeder and illegal to keep it? And the young guy down at talebudgera showing off a flatty over 90cm, complaining it was too big for his eski? And what about the mincer patrol?

I wasn't saying that ausfishers were bad people with bad attitudes and are all dipsticks. I don't hold it against people if they have a different opinion to me, if everyone thought the same it would be a boring world. I have agreed with some of the comments and opinions put forward by the anti research guys, I just don't like the image some of those opinions give rec fishos in the public/greenie eye.

Brett

BigE
18-12-2006, 08:39 PM
Gee now i see the light ....... I only dreamed we (REC Fishermen) got shafted last time around. (RAP) maybe i just need to use better lube so it don't hurt so much next time ...... can i borrow some of yours brett you must have the good stuff!

BigE

FNQCairns
19-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Don't do it!! Politely decline! I used to work in fisheries conservation.

There are no non-political research grants, fisheries does not sit on the fence, recreational anglers are typically viewed with disdain as an overall and hate in others, to stay employed research and fisheries workers right through to middle management and above at some levels need to justify their positions this can really only be done through fixing things that are not broke and never were, as it is taboo to fix what is known to be broken because those pay tax on their resource take!

Even the principle scientist will ensure the research follows the ethos of those above him and if they are watermelons or commercial lovers every recreational angler will take yet another king hit, as the past proves by the steaming bucket load.

That said some university research can be fine, depends on the Quality of those with the say at University level, seen some shockingly bias research from Uni's and CRC's in the past.

cheers fnq

Sillaginid
20-12-2006, 09:19 AM
As FNQ has stated, you do have the right to politely decline participation in these surveys. However, I believe these surveys can be very valuable and in some cases help protect the interests of rec fishing. I would just like to reiterate some of the points that have been made:

1) Most fisheries researchers are keen fishermen themselves and thus have a stong vested interest in maintaining healthy recreational fisheries

2) If we don't help them collect this data then projections from those who do respond to their surveys will probably be used, and as we all know this can lead to greater errors

3) If there is only limited or inaccurate info available on rec catches, much more reliance will be placed upon commercial data and thus weaken the position of rec fishers

4) Rec fishers often undervalue the impact they have on fish stocks. I think that for several saltwater species, rec fishers have a greater impact/catch than the commercial sector.

5)To some degree, who has the right to catch what is an emotional arguement, making it necessary to sift the facts from beliefs. I, like most rec fishermen, do not like what some commercial fishos do, but only in certain areas and not neccessarily across the board. I definitely believe that netting should be banned from all estuaries so that juvenile stocks are not harassed, but how this is done without destroying the lives of coastal fisherment and communities seems to me to be very difficult. Boat ramp surveys of recreational fishermen in NSW have shown that the closure of several estuaries to commercial fishing has increased the quality of fishing remarkedly, supporting the anectdotal evidence from direct studies on fish abundance. These boat ramp surveys have been very useful in reinforcing the concept of the buy-back scheme, probably allowing it to continue to expand.

6) Unfortunately data can be manipulated, however this is most likely to occur at the political level and not the research level. The results of many of these surveys are made publically available and thus can be used by those from either side of the arguement. Is it not beter to have solid infomation to base your arguements on than projections or extrapolations from limited, potentially biased samples??

7) I have to say I disagree with FNQ that there are NO non-political grants in fisheries science. Plenty of the funding that becomes available, particularly at the Federal level (eg Rec Fishing Grants Scheme), have no State influence and since coastal and inland waterways are under State legislation, the Commonwealth will have little or no political involvement other than to anounce it is availabale.

Time I get off this well beaten soap-box and pass it on to the next person.

Matt_Campbell
20-12-2006, 10:11 AM
Don't do it!! Politely decline! I used to work in fisheries conservation.

There are no non-political research grants, fisheries does not sit on the fence, recreational anglers are typically viewed with disdain as an overall and hate in others, to stay employed research and fisheries workers right through to middle management and above at some levels need to justify their positions this can really only be done through fixing things that are not broke and never were, as it is taboo to fix what is known to be broken because those pay tax on their resource take!

Even the principle scientist will ensure the research follows the ethos of those above him and if they are watermelons or commercial lovers every recreational angler will take yet another king hit, as the past proves by the steaming bucket load.

That said some university research can be fine, depends on the Quality of those with the say at University level, seen some shockingly bias research from Uni's and CRC's in the past.

cheers fnq

I give up - here's some more info for those who would like it. Perhaps then you can make an INFORMED comment instead of cooking up conspiracy theories.

http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/fisheriesmonitoringprogram/

Reef_fisher
20-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Hi again all, I have been away for a few days and have just caught up with this thread. I seem to have copped some flack from specific people. I don't mind. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I fish and live in the Innisfail area, my point of veiw is from my local area, I do not and have not fished any further south than Townsville, and then, only on occassion. I never bag out on any species( being responsible) and usualy only take enough for two or three feeds.

I have been on the Reef 3 times since cyclone Larry bitch slapped us (March) and just as the weather was improving 3x reef closures come into effect, the last is still only half way through. Now lets see, barra no take is coming up.

I have had to keep my boat in running order this year despite not using it, I have had to do 2 repairs to boat electronics $150 steering $80, both these repairs due to lack of use. Fuel to run it and rego for boat and trailer whether I have used it or not. Constant battery charging because it goes flat due to lack of use. This is the cost I was reffering to earlier. Most fishos up here have forgotten what the Reef looks like. When licences were made mandatory many an old fisho I know up here chucked it in. Courses and fees to enable them to do something they had been doing for 40 or 50 years. Probably not too expensive for them on pensions, but that previous experience meant nothing.

Unless this or any other research is totaly independant then I will continue to opt out. The negatives in my area have far outdone any positives. Everything is political, and as such more self interest than anything, I went to meetings and the like, all I got was a very uncomfortable feeling in the rectum. Doesn't matter what lube you use the feeling is never nice. As for conspiracy theories, I leave what has happened to rec fishos in the last 2 years as proof positive that research has done us no good.

Brett1907
21-12-2006, 09:36 AM
Sorry if I was a bit aggressive Reef_fisher, I can get a little passionate! I can now see where you are coming from, but still disagree with your opinion (but respect it).
Down here on the Gold Coast, no fishing time on a boat due to weather is a regular occurence. The cost associated is just the price of wanting to own a boat(I don't currently own one, but will soon I hope).
We don't have the problem of having large parts of our fishery closed as you do, so I don't know how it feels (So I don't need lube BigE, let me know where you get yours from).
I don't know of any activities that have become cheaper over the years, I like fishing, scuba diving, 4WDing and other less energetic things. I now have to pay levies/liscences for scuba diving when I dive the Barrier Reef, and have to pay fees for some national parks and for 4WD parks as many tracks around my home have been closed to the public. Everything I am into has gotten more expensive, but I still won't give it away.

Proper research is needed to sustain the industry. I am glad to see you are a responsible fisho, and am sorry you have got the wrong end of the stick with reef closures. Good luck fishing over the chrissy break.

Brett

BigE
21-12-2006, 08:05 PM
:) :) :) merry xmas brett dont worry closures are on there way sth soon enough.

PS i recommend research material as lube ..... very slippery stuff... dont eat it butt it tastes like bullshit!

cheers E

Reef_fisher
23-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the reply Brett, I too like to do other things like camping , 4wd etc. and yes it all comes at an ever increasing cost. The Reef closures hit everyone hard up here and are not confined to Reefs as several coastal and some river/ headland areas are off limits as well. As you can guess these areas always fished well.

As I like to combine camping and fishing as much as possible, it is frustrating that a pursuit that was relatively cheap to do is not any longer. I get very cranky with politicians putting restrictions on my pastimes. If I am fishing, I am relaxing and some turd trying to stick his nose in my boat is usually going to get a slap. Even fisheries officers don't get on my boat, they get asked what they want and compliance items are shown to them, fish are displayed, hatches are opened, other than that they can bugger off. The fisheries officers in my area are a bunch of arrogant pricks but that is a subject of another seperate thread.

Cheers Andy