PDA

View Full Version : big fish lite gear

a_big_red_1
21-12-2006, 08:35 PM
hi all, just woundering what is the biggest fish you have caught on the lightest gear

on Monday i went for a fish off the beach, i only took down a light rod for a few yting,
well got my 4 yting and i was happy
then a small hammerhead shark about 400mm
and then a small stingray about the 350mm
the Rod n Reel combo was a Daiwa heartland-Z 4-8lb with a Daiwa sol 2000 with 2lb braid, i had a great time with the ray, but i think my reel needs a service now :-/
ohh and i had to make do with a 10lb braid leader :-X have never done that before
would like to hear what some of you guys have caught on light gear

Cheers
Daz

tunaman
21-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Yes crackerjack its hard on the gear, but heaps of fun. The latest light line catch was a 9lb golden trev on 6lb.

signed tunaman

TinarooTriumph
21-12-2006, 09:16 PM
Most memorable big fish on light line would have been earlier on this year when I fished the Upper North Johnstone near Innisfail. 44cm Sooty (Close to 3kg), caught on 4lb Platypus Pre-Test and no leader! This was a remarkable catch as the Pools and Rapids we were fishing in contained the most extreme structure you will ever see. Very remote and secretive spot that one! Had plenty of other big fish on light line, but that one takes top spot with ease!

Poodroo
21-12-2006, 11:29 PM
I remember when I was a kid sitting in my uncles inflatable dinghy on Atkinson's Dam fishing with a handline (he was a brave man having a kid in an inflatable with hooks) and all day long we reeled in smallish silver perch and occassionally a spangled perch would make an appearance. I only had 6lb line and dropped the hook with worm over the edge and it never reached the bottom and I felt something of good size swim off with it. Can clearly remember my uncle's words when I told him I had a good fish on saying "Well reel him in drongo!" Well I did just that and right next to the boat came this huge face of an Australian Bass which must have thought I was of the ugliest kind of human as it did the full reverse and shot off in the opposite direction straightening the hook. My uncle Frank saw it too and was amazed that I even got such a large bass up on 6 pound line. I still like fishing with light gear. Just makes it more of a challenge to get the fish in. I love the ZZZZZzzzzzzz's.

Poodroo

major-defect
22-12-2006, 04:23 AM
You seen mine Daz lol.22-25 kg spaniard on 20lb line at Gould island.

Jeremy
22-12-2006, 06:37 AM
4.25 kg flathead on 1 kg pretest mono (lurecasting)
19.8 kg longtail tuna on 6 kg pretest mono (live bait)
8.8 kg snapper on 6 kg pretest mono (lurecasting)

There are a few others on here who make my efforts pale into insignificance....

Jeremy

el_carpo
22-12-2006, 07:02 AM
Impressive catches on light line guys! You know your craft well! [smiley=thumbup.gif]

I caught a 30 inch carp on 6 Lb test line once. Not sure what it weighed. It was in a mud and small-stoned bottomed creek. If it was in a weedy, timbery lake or rocky river, I probably wouldn't have got him. He kept swimming up and down stream, so I had to run to keep up with him. I fell on the slippery, mud bank a mess of times and by the time I netted him, I looked like the mud man. Still had fun though! ;D Used canned corn kernals for bait by the way.

My brother caught a 31 inch rainbow trout on six Lb test line. He was at Lake Michigan shore fishing for perch. He fought it for about a half hour. He attracted quite a crowd of tourists. My other brother had a tough time getting past the crowd to net the fish! Then everyone wanted a picture with him and the fish! He was using a white, 3 inch twister tail grub (soft plastic lure) with a pink jig head.

The trout is the far better catch, but after seeing the circus it created, I wouldn't want to trade places-- mud man or no. ;)

Slient
22-12-2006, 07:40 AM
I never forget this action from many years back...
I was fishing for whiting, bream & odd darts on the beach between 1770 & agnes water.....
Baited the frozen prawn on 1/0 hook and few minutes later...Huge bang ZZZZzzzzzzzzZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZ....my first reaction was big ray...Oh no I was mucking with 8lb on 5.5inch avely winch and 10.5' rod...I was reeling very hard for fun and I was not being care if line snap...a good of my mate say "wait a minute I could see a silver shinning in the water"
My face was paused..."Are you sure 100%"...He say "YES"...
my heart was pumping very harder with my own blood......
Reeled back...ZZZZZzzzzzZZZZzzzzZZZZ....Reeled back....ZZZZzzzzzZZZZzzzz....
repeat for 45 minutes...
Finally landed 7kg Snub nose Dart...
I do have this photo somewhere at home and will scan it and post....

the_lump
22-12-2006, 07:44 AM
approx 70kg black marlin at South West Rocks NSW o n 15lb mono out of my 15ft allycraft tiller steer.Austalia day this year. ;D

megan
22-12-2006, 08:10 AM
I caught a 2.5kg Threadfin Salmon on 2kg line on a light spinning rod and reel in the Proscerpine River....awesome fun

_Dan_
22-12-2006, 08:28 AM
Caught this Golden on 4lb Mono while fishing for dart a few yars ago. I had to run 600 meters up the beach chasing it, and after 20 min it was landed.

roz
22-12-2006, 08:47 AM
I'm an ANSA member, and line BS to weight of fish counts for points.

Really good topic!!!

But.... IMO chasing a 100kg+ bill fish attached to ultra light 2&3kg line for hours isn't sport, I know that's an extreme example, but it does happen. I really feel ultra light 1,2 & 3kg line class shouldn't be used on game fish.

On the other hand using light line does give the fish a sporting chance & requires a lot more angling skill.

The Lump's marlin on 15lb mono, as well as Silent's dart, are captures that would have required skill and patience. Well done guys.

I do fish light line from time to time, particularly lure casting to tuna & mackerel, but prefer the T&R side of ansa.

cheers Roz.

Oh forgot to add, my most memorable would have been a 2kg lure caught bass (out of the snags) on 2kg, and a 11kg blue, lure casting on 6kg.

bidkev
22-12-2006, 08:51 AM
My first big shovelly.

kev

bidkev
22-12-2006, 08:56 AM
This was caught on 15lb mono.............it weighed in at 43lb.

kev

a_big_red_1
22-12-2006, 09:19 AM
HOLY :o :o :o :o :o, there is some great fish caught on light gear, well done fellas, http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/4xgold0/thumbsup.gif

#

and here i thought i did well # http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/4xgold0/babycry.gif

Daz

Mick_Godfrey
22-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Mine would have to be Coffs last year trolling for mackerel, TLD 15 with 10kg pre-test and 40lb wire.........70-80kg black. Took about 1.5 hrs to get it to the boat with my mate pi**sing himself the whole time.

Dont think i have ever whinged so much in my life, it ended up a painful experience but worth it in the end. My arms have since returned to normal length.

tunapikus
22-12-2006, 10:15 AM
yeah ive caught a nice spanish on 6kg but stressed me out trying to pull it into a kayak i just didnt want to get mr pinky bitten

TinarooTriumph
22-12-2006, 01:12 PM
Pre-Test is definetely the line to use if you want to break records...

My 2nd best memory of a good fish on Light Line would have been my first Impoundment Barra, at Tinaroo ofcourse! Same outfit as the one I usually use for Streaming, (2-4kg Shimano Spin Rod, Little Viva Spin Reel, and 4lb Platypus Pre-Test). Fish went 82cm, and Id estimate it to be possibly... 6/7kg? Fat fish aswell, put up a good fight for it's size but I had alot of water to play it in so it as pretty easy to land.

Kingtin - Thats a pretty big Shovel Nose mate! I've caught a few off the beach before going after Whiting and Dart, but that is the biggest one I've seen!

BobbyJ123
22-12-2006, 01:28 PM
30lb forky tailed catfish on 10lb at Bandicoot Bar, Kununurra, WA
1.17m barra in the Keep River NT on 12lb.
Both in the days before braid........er......1976

bidkev
22-12-2006, 01:29 PM
<snip>

Kingtin - Thats a pretty big Shovel Nose mate! I've caught a few off the beach before going after Whiting and Dart, but that is the biggest one I've seen!

Some bigger ones here all on 30lb mono. The vid doesn't do justice to a couple of 'em............there was just no way we could have got 'em in the boat.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1165352063

kev

TinarooTriumph
22-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Cheers for the link Kev

Theo

jackash
22-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Kingtins post reminds me of a shovelly i caught a year and a half ago off the beach. Took me 45mins to land the bugger on 8lb line. Was fishing for tailor. After the intial run it was jsut a matter of dragging this thing in along the bottom by putting as much rpessure on it as i could... and that took up about 30 mins of the fight. Being 16 at the time i was absolutely nackered. With both arms being absolutely dead. needed another bloke to help me carry it back down to the water coz i couldnt lift the thing i was so tired.... yep i know soft. Went about my height... 6 and a bit foot and guesstimated at around 50lb.

manchild
22-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Nice socks Kev ;D ;D ;D

Scalem
22-12-2006, 08:03 PM
My only mangrove jack on 2KG and a whiting hook.

Scalem

bidkev
22-12-2006, 08:08 PM
Nice socks Kev ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D Cute eh? ;D They're me climbing socks............had 'em for 16 yrs and only been darned once ;D Strange you should mention 'em as the other day I went to dust off me old climbing boots in the garage and when I picked 'em up, the soles fell off :o ::) ;D strange how a 12 buck pair of socks worn fairly often in winter, can outlast a 600 buck pair of boots that haven't been used in 12 yrs :-/ :-/ ;D

kev

Cheech
26-12-2006, 01:26 PM
on 6lb fireline. (at mud island)

http://666kb.com/i/aker2yfksjrnhj5n5.jpg