PDA

View Full Version : Glad we stayed home??

Scalem
27-12-2006, 07:24 AM
This time of year I get asked this following question a million times "Are you going anywhere for your Christmas holidays?"

Because my inlaws and families visit every year, Escaping for more than a day or two at a time would certainly be considered rude, so we usually hang close to home, making little day trips the norm, using home as a base. #I just looked at the BOM, and after what was originally a weather forcast for fine, there's a huge cloud mass on its way through, but it looks very localized. #I am just wondering if any of you AF's can report on what the weather has been doing in non Brisbane metro area. #Fraser, Murwillumbah, Tweed??? #Sunshine coast? #Hervey Bay? #

I may have missed out, the seabreeze forcast does not look promising for a fish any time soon. #Dictated again by wind as usual!!

Scalem

ronnieandbill
27-12-2006, 07:31 AM
Hi
Me and the hubbie were heading to Moreton for a few days but we are still undecided. You know when the weather looks crappy but you really want to go anyway.
Have the boat all loaded, bait and rods on board but what do you do.

Any suggestions guys------- go over or stay home.

Cheers Ronnieh

aussiefool
27-12-2006, 07:56 AM
Here on the Tweed there is the odd shower but nothing to heavy and a gentle southly breese.I also looked on the web cam for the Tweed bar and even on low tide it's as flat as a tack
Aussiefool

aussiefool
27-12-2006, 07:59 AM
check out the lates obs from coolie

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ60901/IDQ60901.94592.shtml

bluefin59
27-12-2006, 08:11 AM
beleive wind is dropping of this arvo going out to mud for an s.p into the night my borometer has slowly risen this morning so of me and the wife go take the chances when we can. ;D ;D ;D ;D

ronnieandbill
27-12-2006, 08:12 AM
Raining here in Beachmere but the bay still looks good. Oh crap- 40 minutes to Moreton and apparently the weathers turned bloody awful up here.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-/. Bet when I go back to work next week the weather will be great!!!!!! :-[

Scalem
27-12-2006, 08:17 AM
Looks like the Tweed or Northern NSW is the place to be, the wind is nothing major is it?

Ronnieh, how big is your boat? In my little 15ft bath tub, the wind is a little too much to make it a pleasant trip over, and even worse coming back because of the direction. There are those who don't play in Moreton bay in anything over 15 Knots, which it definitely is today and tomorrow. Watch out for next week though, looks like the fan will be blowing a bit hard from Tuesday. http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/qld.asp

Scalem

ronnieandbill
27-12-2006, 08:39 AM
Hi
Boat is 21 ft. Wind has dropped off to nothing since the showers started.
Just being cautious with the wind as I know what it can be like from Beahmere to Moreton. Not far to go but it can get real crappy out there.
If we do go over it will be to the wrecks at tangalooma for a couple of nights: just fish off the island during the day and anchor up at night.
Maybe the river is looking Good.!!!!!????????? :P
Any way we will sit back for a little while and see what happens.

Ronnieh

Scalem
27-12-2006, 09:04 AM
Hi
Boat is 21 ft. Wind has dropped off to nothing since the showers started.
Just being cautious with the wind as I know what it can be like from Beahmere to Moreton. Not far to go but it can get real crappy out there.
If we do go over it will be to the wrecks at tangalooma for a couple of nights: just fish off the island during the day and anchor up at night.
Maybe the river is looking Good.!!!!!????????? :P
Any way we will sit back for a little while and see what happens.

Ronnieh

Should be fine in a 21 footer, but you are wise to wait for a day or two, I agree.

Scalem

Archer
27-12-2006, 05:29 PM
Looks like the Tweed or Northern NSW is the place to be, the wind is nothing major is it?

Scalem

Was on the Richmond today and went for a quick look out the mouth..didnt go out only in a 390 hornet trophy but it looked ok i was tempted.....
No rain and bugger all wind overcast and cool though.

Joe

bidkev
27-12-2006, 07:38 PM
I wish I'd stayed at home :'( :'(

The last two days of the deckie's rellies visit and they'd been hanging out for a day at the Broadwater/Pin, wanting to see if the Whittley was worth the pennies ::) ;D

Anyways, the weather killed it so I took 'em for a drive round Wivenhoe/Samsonvale.....the lovely wet mist rising from the mountains reminded me of the good old Lake District back in pommieland. I hadn't been up there in a couple of years and I was deeply saddened by what I saw :'(

All the creeks downstrean from the dam were bone dry, despite 2 days of rain.............the thought of the loss of wildlife was heartrending and the thought of the scale of the deaths that are likely to have occured is beyond comprehension.

I was non-commital about dams and re-cycling before, but it is plain to see (now) that damming can cause immense loss of fauna and flora in times of drought.

Sorry to hijack this thread but if it comes to a vote on dams and recycling, I know where my vote will, and won't go............if you want to see a sad and sorry state, take the trip. Will talk further tomorrow...........I'm about to drink myself into a stupor ::)...........I love Oz and her environment but I haven't felt this bad for a long time. I really don't think the public in general is aware of just how bad things are..........I know I wasn't.

kev

PS.........the deckie is beginning to worry........she thinks I'm going Green ;D

The_Walrus
27-12-2006, 11:58 PM
Nice rain, good for the grass & gardens but won't do much for the dams.

It's all cyclic and eventually we'll be saying "When's this rain going to stop".

Went for a quick bass fish this morning (Wednesday), very quiet with only 3 bass and only had to use the brolley twice.

Luc