PDA

View Full Version : Ausfish Discount

SundownMarine
19-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Ausfishers,

As most here are aware we have offered a discount for Ausfish members who take the time to come into our store and make a purchase,this has also applied to some long distance customers where we can validate the user name.
With high levels of competition these days its difficult to offer a "standard dicount" across the board. We will always endevour to offer limited number special to the board members prior to advertising elsewhere.
The recent special we ran on Lowrance X125,X135 AND X 52 sounders is a classic case of a product not being advertised anywhere but on this site and thus we cannot offer any further discount off these products as the discount has already been offered in the original price.

The reason for this post.
Some members have deliberately tried to abuse this system is the past and this has prompted us to review how we offer the Ausfish discount now and in the future.We must stress that most of the board users we see in the store appreciate the offer and are great people we enjoy talking to.
The offer will most definately continue however it will be in a revised form and will not take the shape of a % off price style discount but will be based more on a system of tracking who spends what and the reward (ie discount) will be determined from there.We have never publicly said exactly what the offer is but most have assumed the offer is 10% everything purchased (not the case in fact).

We thank the Ausfish community for the continued support we receive from this site and look forward to seeing Ausfishers in the future.

Regards.

The team at Sundown Marine.

first_mate
19-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Unfortunately Sundown Marine is too far for me to travel, however whenever I am offered a discount by anyone I certainly accept and appreciate the offer. At the end of the day though, all businesses need to make money otherwise we get the final clearance sale!

Thanks for your sponsorship of this site - that helps to keep this site free for registered users. Perhaps that is a discount I use in itself!

Best wishes for 2007
:)

Cheers
Angus

charleville
19-12-2006, 08:12 PM
The offer will most definately continue however it will be in a revised form and will not take the shape of a % off price style discount but will be based more on a system of tracking who spends what and the reward (ie discount) will be determined from there.

Hmmm. I have travelled from the southside to Sundown to buy a few hundred dollars worth of stuff in the past but find it to be a nuisance especially if a product needs to be returned for warranty issues. I am still holding one such product bought there last Christmas because it is not worth the trip to go all the way to Redcliffe to drop the $225 bulky article off and then return later to collect it when fixed. By now, it is so well used after a year that it is not worth returning, albeit I have been unhappy with the faulty product all year.

If you now say that the level of discount will be based on regular spend then you have no chance of getting business from me nor I suspect from lots of other southsiders for whom the long trip plus petrol cost plus bridge toll will be part of the cost/benefit equation. This is especially so as by your own rule, you will only offer the good prices in person in store. That means that I might get better odds on the investment in time and money at the Eagle Farm races than making a speculative trip hoping that you guys will make the trip worthwhile.

That is not an ideal situation for you as you were picking up new business from your southside competitors which you will now not get.

My last two major purchases in the past few months were a 6500B baitrunner and a two speed Tyrnos 20, both of which were bought from Springwood Marine who are closer to me and who also offered good discounts which I did not bother shopping around to improve upon. Regrettably, they are now getting out of the tackle part of their business but my guess is that someone else on the southside will fill their shoes, especially as you have indicated that you are not interested in attracting incremental southside business by introducing frequent buyers' arrangements.

Just think of the business that you will now lose....

StevenM
19-12-2006, 08:42 PM
With you there Charlie

I am a western suburbs Ausfisher and have traveled to Redcliffe and purchased goods and have been well looked after. I hope this does not change as when I do travel up there it is for a reason and I walk out with something. Frequent flyer buys will not work for me.

But thanks Sundown for what you have done for me in the past and I will still visit when I can. To all the team from Anthony Skillen down, I wish you all a merry christmas.

Cheers
Steven

PinHead
19-12-2006, 09:35 PM
I will still make the trip up there for what I want or need...have been more than happy with price3s and especially the service..thanks guys

lippa
19-12-2006, 11:31 PM
whilst sundown are are wonderful sponsor of this site, i will, and have always shopped at ntside marine, for the same facts as the sundown guys mentioned above. i can walk staright into the store and say "trick all round mac, heavy esturay for the missus" i walk away happy with a GH shakira and a stradic 6500, with some finns braid too boot (pm me sd if you want to know what i paid for that combo). not havin' a shot there sundown blokes, but all local tackle shops do the same. you look after them, vice versa. if its new sales you are after, well maybe a different makerting plan is in order. i could tell you the story how i've been there twice on occasion to buy boats............................................. .......

cheers

lippa

Feral
20-12-2006, 05:56 AM
I've shopped a few times at Sundown, (bit of a travel for me too), never bothered to ask for a discount, never do anywhere. If a companies prices are reasonable, and service reasonable, you'll get my business. Which you do when I am down that way.

I support my local business where ever possible, I also support those who put something back in to the community (as sundown does).

So while I will probably never use it, thanks for the offer, such support is certainly appreciated.

NeilD
20-12-2006, 08:35 AM
This sort of offer probably will not work out for me as it is fair bit out of my way being a Southside boy so would not be as regular as most. However over the last three months I have bought a fair bit of gear from the shop as I have bought a new motor, three reels, four rods and unfortunately have not received the Ausfish discount on any of it. Most of the items were on special at competitive prices so I was pretty cool about it at the time and the service has always very good. I did get a particularly good deal on some gear previously though so it all works out in the long run.

Cheers

Neil

pegasus
20-12-2006, 11:23 AM
It seems another case of actions of a few having negative effects on the broader group.

I am guessing here- hmmmm- lets see- "the ring around till I screw it down to the lowest an runoff to a discounter that ll give me 10% off that scenario. - stuff the people used in between - especially when one of the retailers acts in a positive manner to look after Ausfishers.

Dont get me wrong- I try to stretch my dollar but somewhere there is a line- I suppose thats human factor thing that what sits with the individual. morales/values etc

As a business - I imagine in a broad sense you can only discount prices so much- at the end of the day a suitable profit needs to be made otherwise in the end - no business. Maybe thats the other side of the fence that consumers dont want to hear. There is actually two sides to the fence/coin.

Thankyou to Sundown Marine (fishing section) for the past great service,top advice and keen prices.

Mick_Godfrey
20-12-2006, 12:55 PM
I made my first purchase there last saturday a Tyrnos 30 with a good discount, EPIRB and a few other bits and pieces,(thanks guys for the lead last week), it was a few bucks more expensive than one of the chain stores but that didnt bother me. Having only lived in Brissy for a year i went up there to check the shop out and was nicely suprised at the selection of gear. The staff were helpful and polite and didn't have the "never seen you here before attitude" that i have encountered at some stores further south. (never to return)

So in a nutshell i'll be going back for more because i would rather pay a few bucks more, be treated like a human and be able to talk to someone who knows there stuff.

Mr__Bean
20-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Hey Sundown,

Appreciate your offer of discount to genuine members, for my clarity does the offer extend to service or is it only applicable to product sales?

- Darren

searaider
21-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Geday Sundown ,
G***t thanks again for the good price on the GME 406 Epirb on the weekend [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

I also drive a fair way to give you the first option for a sale & normally you're able to match or better the prices of the opposition .

Keep up the good work gang , I'll see you next time I need to buy some more toys .

Peter
Searaider 2

JEWIENEWIE
24-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Just a thought, maybe when a member hits say silver member status, Ausfish sends them a membership card so to speak wich will be recognised by various tackle stoores boat shops etc that will enable them to recieve whatever discount the shop is willing to give. Small cost for the card which the reciever of the card should pay for???
What do yu reckon MODS???????
Jewie

charleville
24-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Just a thought, maybe when a member hits say silver member status, Ausfish sends them a membership card so to speak wich will be recognised by various tackle stoores boat shops etc that will enable them to recieve whatever discount the shop is willing to give. Small cost for the card which the reciever of the card should pay for???

That is a great idea!!! - as long as it is the member who pays for the card and not Steve (Ausfish) who has enough expense in keeping a site going as well as this one does.

Great idea though and should be helpful to the sponsors and to Steve in tracking the effectiveness of Ausfish as a marketing tool.

backhoe
24-12-2006, 11:13 PM

That is a great idea!!! - as long as it is the member who pays for the card and not Steve (Ausfish) who has enough expense in keeping a site going as well as this one does.

Great idea though and should be helpful to the sponsors and to Steve in tracking the effectiveness of Ausfish as a marketing tool.

The downside would be that it would encourage people to make more posts which would clutter up the boards with useless drivel.
I don't know about others but I seem to waste a lot of time trolling through posts saying "great catch" or "any pics" enough now without giving people a reward for making more posts.
Think it needs to go away from rewarding high post counts rather than encouraging them.
A "contribution meter" would be a good, albeit impractical way of rewarding useful posts.
Kev

JEWIENEWIE
27-12-2006, 09:31 AM
I see your point backhoe, but there will be a way around that. Thats why we should only issue card to people once they hit a certain amount of posts and the discout given could be depending on actual post count, the more posts, the bigger discount, posts must be more than say two lines?
I think this is a good idea the more i think about it. There are many options that this could be worked and a long as it is a win win for all invoved. Hopefully one of the Mods sees this post and gives it some thought.
Jewie

bidkev
27-12-2006, 11:15 AM
I talk enough drivel without being given an incentive to get worse............if that's possible ;D ;D

kev

JEWIENEWIE
27-12-2006, 12:02 PM
LMAO. Some might need an incetive to make less posts! ;D ;D
Jewie

Chromedome
27-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Hi Jewie, I agree with Kingpin, I check this site out just about every day religously. M/F at work while eating lunch and at least once on week ends. I only contribute if I have question or an answer to a question therefore I doubt I will ever become silver or Gold member etc as I don't feel it's nessacary for me to add the "Great fish" & "Well Done" posts. As a new comer to this sport I would suggest just about everyone one here knows more than me and I am therefore happy to absorb everyones information. As time goes by & my knowledge increases so will my posts and input.
Judging by the number of members and their posts as per the members list,
I think I maybe one of the silent majority who are happy to read and absorb with only the occasional contribution. What you suggest may possibly be construed as rewarding the vocal (and well informed)minority.
A better idea would be for the company in question to create a VIP members club via the internet and create an email data base to target its members with discounts and monthly specials. A
link could be supplied from this site.
Thanks
Chromey

JEWIENEWIE
27-12-2006, 12:56 PM
Good points chromy, It was just an idea, the finer in and outs of it all need to be looked at by ausfish, i was simply putting forward an idea to make the dicount problem some are having a bit simpler. I am an ideas man mate, i come up with an idea, if people like it they can take it wher they want, if they dont, leave it wher they found it! ;)
Jewie

charleville
27-12-2006, 02:20 PM
I don't feel it's nessacary for me to add the "Great fish" & "Well Done" posts.
Chromey

My perception is that the "well done" posts do serve a purpose in offering some "reward" for people to post their reports. Everyone likes to be acknowledged.

Posting fishing reports without positive feedback would be like giving a speech to an audience that does not react in anyway shape or form. It is extremely painful and discourages one from wanting to stand up in front of such an audience again. I have experienced such an audience once or twice, especially in Asian countries, and it is soul destroying. Saying "well done: costs nothing and has a positive effect on the receiver.

ie if you want people to post their reports you need to reward them somehow.

DR
27-12-2006, 03:30 PM
one in , all in.
if you have a card system, just give all members a card, all this most posts/most helpful stuff is rubbish as i doubt too many stores are going to bother with only a few selected people getting cards, & who is going to monitor which is & isn't an acceptable post
if business pay to advertise on here why would they only give discount to selected members??they are in business for the volume. if you have a card, show it to participating dealers. they then give you a discount off there regular price when you show your card, no comparing with other shops etc.if something is on sale you can pay either sale price or discounted regular price, whichever is cheaper, if not happy with what you are offered , go elsewhere.

can't see a problem. if, like sundown said, some are trying to rort the system, too bad , as they won't get any better than offered. shops are still going to make money as they don't give stuff away. if shops inflate the price to give discount they will not get the business. most stores are pretty competitive theses days anyway, so if you want to haggle you don't use the card..
my 2 cents worth..

JEWIENEWIE
27-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Some good points mate but jeez, pretty full on, just n idea!
Jewie

DR
27-12-2006, 05:10 PM
just an opinion, if you didn't want opinions ???????? ;D

JEWIENEWIE
28-12-2006, 08:49 AM
No mate, all cool, just woke up off the couch and read your post. I normally wake up grumpy, now i let her sleep in!! ;D Personally, i dont go hunting for the best discount when i need to make a purchase, if i get good service, and the right advice with a competitive price i will go for it. Price is not everything. No good getting a bargain on something then finding out it is not what yu wanted.
Jewie

DR
28-12-2006, 09:14 AM
the truth is it doesn't affect me one way or the other, was just expressing an opinion. i buy mostly overseas or occasionally from Campbells in WA, never had a problem & good prices.
bought a reel Diawa Sol locally before christmas & had problems, which were obvious, & perfectly fixed with a 20c washer, tackle shop used technological BS to explain it away,(while what was said was correct, it was also a brushoff as the washer was required to get the line to lay correctly) so i am now back to overseas.. ;D

JEWIENEWIE
28-12-2006, 09:24 AM
How do yu go with warranty claims os? Have you ever had problems with the wrong product being sent or long waits for your product t arrive. Sorry for all the questions mate, but have been thinking of getting some stuff from over seas but a little scared.
Jewie

DR
28-12-2006, 09:36 AM
have never had a warranty claim...but over time, depending on what you buy, it is stll cheaper to send back..
i have bought clothing, lures, rods, blanks, a gps & a vhf radio & have not had a problem. I only deal with reputable stores, i don't buy from ebay stores..the couple of things i have bought on ebay have been from sellers in Brisbane, i go & pick up the goods & hand over the cash, if i ever strike one that will not let me pick up i will not bother with it..

usually have the gear within 7 days

if you want rods or some soft plastics give me a PM as i have a good contact ;)

JEWIENEWIE
28-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Cheers mate.
Jewie

shayned
28-12-2006, 10:10 AM
You have to give kudos to Sundown for the support of the site, although to be fair it is resipricated by increased sales. Before being on this site I never spent a cent there and now I try when physically possible to spend the dollars with them, some times getting to the store doesn't fit into my working week.

Upon using them I've found with the Ausfish discount, the prices for lures ect. are in line with or slightly better (occasionally slightly higher) than the two large chain stores that are close to my house and place of work. This issue aside, I've found the face to face service to be of a much higher standard at Sundown, the Three J's, all offer freely of their time and knowledge, to a point which I suspect would annoy the hell out of some employers.

The other issue I also discovered is the extra support Sundown offers beyond helping to fund the site and the automatic no haggle no stress discounting for it's members. I know of at least 3 times where Sundown has helped out with support for events related to this site, a function which I'm fairly sure is outside of any agreement made between them and Ausfish.

Personally I derive a great deal of pleasure out of this site, the friendships made, the knowledge gained and the laughs from some very witty contributions all add up to an important resource which I would miss if it wasn't here. To my way of thinking by supporting the site sponsors where possible I'm helping to see Ausfish continue on providing all it does for me.

I doubt that I'm alone in this outlook the same way that I doubt that that other members will have a f@@k 'em, I wan't to use what ever tactic is necessary to save me a buck, type attitude.

This is my thought on the matter, if you want to go hard, knock yourself out but instead of just trying to use up this particular retailer, that is obviously doing the right thing, how about you go and use up their competitors first and then give them the opportunity to match what ever you've negotiated. If it helps you, try and factor in the benefits they all ready help supply you.

On the other hand, one of the joys of being a retailer and one that is often forgotten is that you don't have to sell to everyone. Occasionally it's good for the soul to just say no, bugger off and play your games somewhere else!!!!!!! Try it out and you might find you wouldn't need to start threads like this in the first place.

What ever the outcome you've still got my support.